17th March 2013, 07:29
So who were the heros

Koz
17th March 2013, 07:35
KIMI!

Sutil, good from Alonso.

rjbetty
17th March 2013, 07:36
I don't know, I missed much of the race, having stayed up all night to watch it... :(

donKey jote
17th March 2013, 07:38
pirelli and kimi :p
and alonso sloppy seconds :andrea:

Tazio
17th March 2013, 07:38
Got to give it to Kimi, he made the two stopper work. Nice drive by Fred, and Massa is back. Special mention to Slash for a very strong race!

AndyL
17th March 2013, 07:40
Bianchi deserves an honourable mention, he did extremely well in his first race.

Dave B
17th March 2013, 07:42
Kimi, a proper no-nonsense combination of clever strategy and genuine pace. Honourable mentions to Alonso for an awesome start and a strategy that got one over his team mate, and Bottas for consistently having the upper hand over Maldonado all weekend.

Robinho
17th March 2013, 07:44
Kimi, Alonso and Sutil for me today, Kimi for DOTD

Sent from the moon using a shoe

Garry Walker
17th March 2013, 07:50
Kimi and Alonso - proving they are the two of the best three drivers in F1. Bianchi was pretty good too.

steveaki13
17th March 2013, 07:59
Driver of the Day:

Kimi Raikkonen - A great drive showing great pace and the tyre strategy meant he won comfortably in the end.

Other mentions:
Fernando Alonso - The Ferrari looks good and Fernando used it brilliantly, albeit with a little help from the team.
Adrian Sutil - A fine 7th after a year away, but that doesn't tell half the story. Great drive and probably deserved a podium.
Paul di Resta - Not as good as Sutil but a decent drive.
Jules Bianchi - A great effort only 1 lap down just 55 seconds behind the field and way ahead of Chilton.

EuroTroll
17th March 2013, 08:01
Kimi, obviously, and honourable mentions to Sutil and Vergne. :up:

rjbetty
17th March 2013, 08:02
I don't know, I missed much of the race, having stayed up all night to watch it... :(

This is exactly what happened at Suzuka '98... All that anticipation, staying up the whole night, even enduring the Coronation St omnibus, only to doze off for a good section halfway through. When I woke up, I was all dozey and could see a Ferrari parked off the track. Totally missed that moment... :(

rjbetty
17th March 2013, 08:08
A few other mentions

Sergio Perez - In truth, I only really noticed cos he's my FGP driver, but he finished just over a second behind Button today and was harrying Grosjean who was driving a winning car.
Jules Bianchi - I was gonna say this but someone else beat me to it, which I'm happy with. Marussia have done well too, only 1 lap down with no safety car. I want to find out how close they were to the others in front. If only they could get some money and develop, that car could actually do pretty well!
Adrian Sutil - after all I said about di Resta beating him, Sutil comes back after a year away and promptly beats di Resta. He was only really behind the Scot when it got wet in quali.
Felipe Massa - 4th not at all bad considering he got stuffed by his team.
Fernando Alonso - I want Kimi to get the title, but Alonso deserves to finish ahead of Vettel in the WDC. Really hoping for this.
Jean-Eric Vergne - Most fancied Ricciardo to be the better driver, but JEV had the legs on him all weekend.

steveaki13
17th March 2013, 08:11
Jules Bianchi - I was gonna say this but someone else beat me to it, which I'm happy with. Marussia have done well too, only 1 lap down with no safety car. I want to find out how close they were to the others in front.

With about 3 laps to go he was 49 seconds behind Bottas. So probably ended about 55 behind. He was just about to be lapped for a second time as he went into turn 1 as Kimi crossed the line

Garry Walker
17th March 2013, 08:18
. I want to find out how close they were to the others in front. If only they could get some money and develop, that car could actually do pretty well!
Adrian Sutil - after all I said about di Resta beating him, Sutil comes back after a year away and promptly beats di Resta. He was only really behind the Scot when it got wet in quali..

Well, Slasher had the advantage of starting on medium tyres, not the joke SS tyres. So he was on a much better strategy than PDR. In the end they were 2 seconds apart.

rjbetty
17th March 2013, 08:19
With about 3 laps to go he was 49 seconds behind Bottas. So probably ended about 55 behind. He was just about to be lapped for a second time as he went into turn 1 as Kimi crossed the line

That works out at 0.9sec, not too shabby. Also, his average pace from winner Kimi would be around 3.1sec, which ain't bad either.

Storm
17th March 2013, 08:24
I missed half the race as well (and it was noon here), but I do have a new master to whom I must now bow :p :

Still from what I saw, Kimi was cool as usual. A worthy winner.

rjbetty
17th March 2013, 08:27
I missed half the race as well (and it was noon here), but I do have a new master to whom I must now bow :p :

Still from what I saw, Kimi was cool as usual. A worthy winner.

Kimi has really impressed me. James Allen was talking about how Kimi looks fitter than he maybe ever has been. It looks like Kimi is taking this season very seriously and applying himself. He looks like he really believes he could have a chance. If he carries on like this he will win me over.

Dave B
17th March 2013, 08:32
Kimi has really impressed me. James Allen was talking about how Kimi looks fitter than he maybe ever has been. It looks like Kimi is taking this season very seriously and applying himself. He looks like he really believes he could have a chance. If he carries on like this he will win me over.
Kimi is now a real threat: he's clearly always had a huge talent, but now he seems to have the mindset, experience, and the equipment to go with it.

DexDexter
17th March 2013, 08:42
Kimi was obviously the driver of the race, with Sutil deserving a special mention.

ShiftingGears
17th March 2013, 09:06
Kimi is now a real threat: he's clearly always had a huge talent, but now he seems to have the mindset, experience, and the equipment to go with it.

I also get the impression that the Lotus team really enjoys working with Kimi, and vice versa.

Mia 01
17th March 2013, 09:24
Kimi!! KIMI!!!

I think also Felipe deserves a mention, very good pace but then there is orders.

heliocastroneves#3
17th March 2013, 09:36
Kimi and Sutil definitely but I feel Ferrari screwed Massa's race with a stupid strategy which would of course bring Alonso ahead him. I thought for a second that my favorite driver had a shot on winning for the first time since Hockenheim '10.. :(

pino
17th March 2013, 10:54
Kimi :up:

zako85
17th March 2013, 13:25
Raikkonen, Sutil, Alonso in this order.

I was specially surprised with Sutil. What a drive. Him! leading the race?!! This reminds me Raikkonen from a year ago. As well as Kobayashi in 2010 Abu Dhabi. What a nice comeback, welcome back, Adrian!

Donkey of the race: Mark Webber (sorry I couldn't help it.. he lost too many positions at the start)

race aficionado
17th March 2013, 16:50
Eki's fave: Kimi

andyone
17th March 2013, 17:52
Kimi!! KIMI!!!

but then there is orders.
What orders? its the first race...

yodasarmpit
17th March 2013, 18:00
Kimi for sure.

Not getting the Sutil accolades though, if you go out on mediums and don't stop you are going to be in front, however, once you need to stop and go onto the unflavoured tyres you will drop back.
He and PDR had a steady race, nothing more.

Langdale Forest
17th March 2013, 18:06
Kimi

wedge
17th March 2013, 19:12
Freddy Krueger and Bianchi.

Really impressed by Freddy's racecraft as I was expecting him to bin it.

Sent from a glove made from broken champagne flute

Barreis
17th March 2013, 19:27
Glad that Kimi won.

The Black Knight
17th March 2013, 19:31
Kimi and Sutil, but my DOTD goes to Sutil simply because it's his first race back after a year out and he beat his teammate. I hope he keeps this form up.

veeten
17th March 2013, 19:32
And, once again, diMontezmolo gets to look the fool for sacking the only driver to have won the WDC for Ferrari in the post-Schumacher era by winning the opening race. Said it before, and will say it again: never should've let him go. Winning, going away with the Lotus, just puts paid to it.

Kimi, heir-apparent to Mika's Crown. :)

keysersoze
17th March 2013, 21:18
Kimi was impressive indeed. Too bad for Romain--it looks like he had a problem with the car. At least he better have a problem with the car--because he was nearly a lap down to his teammate.

Fernando his usual sterling performance. Sutil also outstanding, though I was surprised that when he took on the supersofts with only 8 laps to go he was still losing time. I expected him to be setting fast laps before wear set in. Very confusing. I think Paul was told to hold station behind his teammate.

Jules Bianchi looks like the next to pull a Vettel (circa STR) or Alonso (circa Minardi)--overachieving in a backmarker ride. Either that or Chilton stinks.

AndyL
17th March 2013, 23:34
Kimi, heir-apparent to Mika's Crown. :)

They both have 20 wins now :)

dj_bytedisaster
17th March 2013, 23:38
What orders? its the first race...

As long as Alonso doesn't retire, Massa will not be allowed to finish in front of him, not even in the first race. It's always been like that at Ferrari.

aryan
18th March 2013, 00:16
Kimi is DODT for sure. He really was a class act today. Reminded me of his great drives in 2003 and 2005. It was so good to see his understated smile as he was getting out of the car. Like him or not, I think it's safe to say that F1 is a much richer place with him back in it.

Also honourable mentions go to Sutil, Alonso and Bianchi. Had Force India put the Super Softs much later on Sutil's car (say only for 4 laps), I think he had a decent chance of holding Hamilton/Webber behind him. Alonso was again the old magician. He didn't win this time but sent the message to everyone that it's gonna be tough to beat him this year. As for Bianchi, that was one of the best debuts I've seen from a rookie in a while. Sure his fastest lap was set on Super Softs at the very end of the race, but I think the boy showed glimmers of talent.

truefan72
18th March 2013, 01:06
Kimi followed by Sutil
as they were the only 2 drivers to exceed expectations and improve significantly from their starting position

they started 7th and 12th respectively and combined, lead the most laps, with kimi winning it and Sutil ending up 6th

truefan72
18th March 2013, 01:09
Freddy Krueger and Bianchi.

Really impressed by Freddy's racecraft as I was expecting him to bin it.

Sent from a glove made from broken champagne flute

gawd, all these sutil nicknames are getting tiresome
just call him by his name, yeah we get it....

webberf1
18th March 2013, 02:42
Alonso. There were a couple of moments throughout the race where he truly showed why he is considered the best in the business.

henners88
18th March 2013, 07:41
I couldn't actually pick one driver after this race. Raikkonen, Alonso, Massa, Sutil, Vergne, Bianchi..... All shone in the race IMO.

Fantastic to see Kimi back on the top step again, I hope its his year :)

A little disappointed to see Ferrari shaft Massa good and proper with the pit stops to get Alonso ahead. We know in the long term it'll be Fred who takes the title challenge to the others but Massa had a really good race and had the measure of his team mate on this occasion. Sutil showed what a great choice it was for Force India to bring him back. Although he finished a place ahead of his team mate he was in a different class yesterday. Nice to have him back too :)

wedge
18th March 2013, 13:57
I can't decide whether it was a great drive/win.

Kimi said it was an easy win.

Tazio
18th March 2013, 17:25
And, once again, diMontezmolo gets to look the fool for sacking the only driver to have won the WDC for Ferrari in the post-Schumacher era by winning the opening race. Said it before, and will say it again: never should've let him go.I love Kimi (especially the second coming) but Luca di's move was precipitated by Kimi getting thoroughly thrashed by Felipe baby, saribro! :dozey:
Since money doesn't seem to be a factor for "The Scuds" I'm very pleased that they have Fred leading the team, but that is JMHO ;)

gloomyDAY
18th March 2013, 17:30
I love Kimi (especially the second coming) but Luca di's move was precipitated by Kimi getting thoroughly thrashed by Felipe baby, saribro! :dozey:
Since money doesn't seem to be a factor for "The Scuds" I'm very pleased that they have Fred leading the team, but that is JMHO ;) Yeah, I'm sure Alonso will cough up a WDC sooner or later, like in 2016 or something.

Tazio
18th March 2013, 17:38
:s tareup: Which has what to do with my post? ;)

jas123f1
18th March 2013, 22:22
Surely Kimi was the man in this race, followed by Sutil..
I think it's so sad to see how Ferrari still are treating Felippe more or less as a support to Alonso. According to Marca was also Perez (when he was driving for Sauber 2012) asked from Ferrari to take into account Alonso.. It's sad ..

Frmula 1: Sergio Prez: "Ferrari me pidi a menudo que cuidara de Alonso" - MARCA.com (http://www.marca.com/2013/03/17/motor/formula1/1363533816.html)

N. Jones
19th March 2013, 01:01
Sutil with a great drive.

zako85
19th March 2013, 06:45
Sutil's drive is definitely a "fairy tale" story of the race. To come back and not spend a moment on acclimating, lead the first race, and beat his own teammate is quite impressive.

truefan72
19th March 2013, 10:45
Sutil's drive is definitely a "fairy tale" story of the race. To come back and not spend a moment on acclimating, lead the first race, and beat his own teammate is quite impressive.

Yup, tbh DiResta was miles away from sutil in this race, for most of it.
Now in his 3rd year with time to evaluate, I'm not that high on DiResta to be honest.
I believe he has gotten beat both years by his teammate and Suitl actually finished 9th in the WDC that year, right behind the top 4 teams, pretty much best of the rest.
in 2012 Hulkenberg was a class apart, and now in 2013, Sutil after a 1 year hiatus, comes back and cleans his clock in the first race.
diResta is a nice guy. and had solid background coming into F1, but apart from an occasional good result here and there, still is yet to deliver that breakout performance.

AndyL
19th March 2013, 10:59
Yup, tbh DiResta was miles away from sutil in this race, for most of it.

Come on now, they were obviously on different strategies. They were 3 seconds apart at the only point that matters, the chequered flag.

steveaki13
19th March 2013, 18:21
Come on now, they were obviously on different strategies. They were 3 seconds apart at the only point that matters, the chequered flag.

I have to agree. While Sutil drove brilliantly, it was only the choice of tyre at the start that got him in the mix. The rate at which the super softs wore I think any driver from around there would have been up there. He didnt do a great job on the soft tyres at the end either and ultimately did a better job than Paul di Resta, but only 3 seconds better.

donKey jote
19th March 2013, 19:15
According to Marca was also Perez (when he was driving for Sauber 2012) asked from Ferrari to take into account Alonso.. It's sad ..
Frmula 1: Sergio Prez: "Ferrari me pidi a menudo que cuidara de Alonso" - MARCA.com (http://www.marca.com/2013/03/17/motor/formula1/1363533816.html)

You can bet the Toro Rosso's were also told to take into account Vettel. So?

Tazio
19th March 2013, 20:17
You can bet the Toro Rosso's were also told to take into account Vettel. So?So when in doubt post something negative about Alonso to show your bias in a profoundly petty way. Boo hoo :laugh:

keysersoze
21st March 2013, 19:14

True, but the context in which Sutil raced was more impressive, i.e., he ran ahead of the train and had to deal with the pressure, whereas Di Resta was always in the 8-12 position.