PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes lets Hamilton keep helmets, trophies

Nem14
12th March 2013, 16:52
AutoRacing1.com - Hot News Page (http://autoracing1.com/hotnews.asp?tid=63943)

What ****s McLaren are - not letting drivers keep trophies and their helmets.

Zico
12th March 2013, 17:06
http://www.motorsportforums.com/f1/154150-hamilton-close-signing-new-contract-if-he-gets-keep-his-trophies.html

;)

gloomyDAY
12th March 2013, 17:11
I remember when this first popped up last year. Some people actually thought that McLaren were right in keeping Hamilton's trophies and giving him the replicas! What I find even more ridiculous is the fact that Lewis wants to build a museum to house his trophies. No, really, I'm not lying. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/mar/11/lewis-hamilton-greatness-f1-museum-jet)

airshifter
12th March 2013, 17:49
AutoRacing1.com - Hot News Page (http://autoracing1.com/hotnews.asp?tid=63943)

What ****s McLaren are - not letting drivers keep trophies and their helmets.

If it was a contractual agreement that Hamilton signed, McLaren are no more at fault than he is. I'm sure they want a long term history, and it somewhat makes sense to me why they would want the original trophies. I'm sure McLaren hopes to be around long after Lewis is gone, and the trophies are part of their racing legacy.

steveaki13
12th March 2013, 18:07
Havent Mclaren always kept every drivers throphy from any podium position?

I dont agree with it, but I believe that has always been the way Mclaren have done it (within reason. i.e as long as I can remember)

BDunnell
12th March 2013, 18:12
If it was a contractual agreement that Hamilton signed, McLaren are no more at fault than he is. I'm sure they want a long term history, and it somewhat makes sense to me why they would want the original trophies. I'm sure McLaren hopes to be around long after Lewis is gone, and the trophies are part of their racing legacy.

I agree completely.

As for this museum idea, what sheer, unadulterated arrogance.

Dave B
12th March 2013, 18:40
Lewis seems to be going through a phase of believing his brand is bigger than him: painting his private jet red, bringing that ridiculous dog* to races, his celebrity entourage, and now this Senna-esque museum. Save that nonsense for when you're retired from driving, and concentrate on doing the job in hand.

*Nothing against the dog itself, I'm sure it's perfectly fine; it's just the idea of having one as a fashion accessory. On that note, anybody who dresses dogs up or carries them in handbags will be dealt with as soon as I come to power.

wedge
12th March 2013, 19:03
DC has a museum that displays every trophy since karting an is open to the public in Twynholm, Scotland.

I guess that makes the Coulthards a bunch of arrogant p***ks.

At the 1989 Italian GP Prost gave away his bottle champagne and trophy to the Tifosi. Ron The Don went aplopletic afterwards.

Dave B
12th March 2013, 19:15
DC has a museum that displays every trophy since karting an is open to the public in Twynholm, Scotland.

I guess that makes the Coulthards a bunch of arrogant p***ks.
Not at all: DC's was started as a pet project by his proud father back in his early racing career, it was basically a room that he'd occasionally show to interested parties but wasn't open to the public - it grew organically as David became more successful. By contrast, what Lewis is proposing seems like commercial venture, and while I suppose you can't blame the guy for whacking that cash piñata while fame and fortune lasts, I personally think he gets too hung-up on off-track matters and his driving suffers for it.

CNR
12th March 2013, 20:57
Lewis Hamilton plans to build a legacy as a great (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/mar/11/lewis-hamilton-greatness-f1-museum-jet)
"I will die if [Roscoe] does a turd in my plane. I will have to get the whole
plane changed. I have been renting planes for some time and now I can hop from
one place to the other without complications.i guess he needs podium finishes to get trophies or use the turds as trophies

Dave B
12th March 2013, 21:22
Some would say that the Santander trophies already look like dog turds...

Zico
12th March 2013, 22:00
I agree completely.

Lewis isn't someone who immediately springs to my mind as being arrogant in the fullest sense.. perhaps conceited is a better description?

Coulthard Fan
12th March 2013, 22:01
Stupidest rule I have ever heard of!
Completely agree with Lewis you would feel mugged off with some cheap and nasty replica

Rollo
12th March 2013, 22:11

OT:
http://www.bitterwallet.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/mark-webber.jpg

Nem14
12th March 2013, 22:53
If it was a contractual agreement .....Whoever writes a contract has a huge advantage.

Whenever possible, I always made the other guy sign my contract. If that wouldn't fly, I did my best to negotiate changes favorable to me in the other guy's contract.

Obviously, Lewis did get to the point he would no longer sign on McLaren's dotted line.

I suspect issues larger than trophies and helmets defined the tipping point.

wedge
13th March 2013, 00:28
Not at all: DC's was started as a pet project by his proud father back in his early racing career, it was basically a room that he'd occasionally show to interested parties but wasn't open to the public - it grew organically as David became more successful. By contrast, what Lewis is proposing seems like commercial venture, and while I suppose you can't blame the guy for whacking that cash piñata while fame and fortune lasts, I personally think he gets too hung-up on off-track matters and his driving suffers for it.

Nope, can't see the difference.

Mansell recently opened a car dealership-cum-museum in Jersey. He is my all time hero and fully acknowledge his ego problem. I had more of a problem of the Mansells taking part in Le Mans than the new museum.

Looks like an excuse to bash Lewis.

2011 - yes, he deserved the criticism he got.

Last year he said he was in a "better head space". He still had his entourage but still by far McLaren's best driver though the results and stats didn't show it. It was mainly McLaren/Mercedes who let him down. Little to fault his driving - Valencia and Hockenheim you could point fingers.

Long may this continue then I wouldn't care less about the celebs at the MGP garage, the colour of his plane, whomever wipes his backside after taking dump, etc, etc.

dj_bytedisaster
13th March 2013, 00:46
I absolutely loved how Dennis went ape **** after Prost gave away the Trophy :D Prost for president. Serves you right, rat-face :D Everyone, who takes the piss out of Dennis is by definition my friend.

Duncan
13th March 2013, 01:33

I thought I was the only one who thought the Santander logo looks like a steaming pile of poo. I guess not... Seriously, who is their ad agency?

airshifter
13th March 2013, 02:41
Whoever writes a contract has a huge advantage.

Whenever possible, I always made the other guy sign my contract. If that wouldn't fly, I did my best to negotiate changes favorable to me in the other guy's contract.

Obviously, Lewis did get to the point he would no longer sign on McLaren's dotted line.

I suspect issues larger than trophies and helmets defined the tipping point.

Whoever writes a contract only has a huge advantage if the person signing it lacks proper negotiation skills. I've never signed a contract until I negotiated what was required in return for signing it. ;)

I personally agree that it was probably much bigger issues that caused Lewis to leave such a good team. I hope he's not kicking himself later for doing it, but I suspect he just might be.

henners88
13th March 2013, 08:31
I agree completely.

Or perhaps its a way to share his success with his fans and those that appreciate his achievements up until now? If you don't like it, don't visit. Simple as that.

gloomyDAY
13th March 2013, 08:45
I think people are missing the point when it comes Lewis' museum. The guy is still in F1, and stating that he's trying to keep distractions to a minimum. How has he done so far? Let's see: getting a tattoo in the Mercedes motorhome, hauling around a dog with sunglasses, bringing an entourage to every race, letting his relationship with Nicole Crap-zinger interfere with his preparations in F1, buying a jet, and making plans for a fookin' museum.

Sorry, but Lewis reminds me of an attention-whoring SoCal girl who always states, "I hate drama" while simultaneously creating it. I wonder what Lewis will think of next. My guess is a deodorant product that disables your car prior to getting to work.

henners88
13th March 2013, 08:45
Lewis seems to be going through a phase of believing his brand is bigger than him: painting his private jet red, bringing that ridiculous dog* to races, his celebrity entourage, and now this Senna-esque museum. Save that nonsense for when you're retired from driving, and concentrate on doing the job in hand.

*Nothing against the dog itself, I'm sure it's perfectly fine; it's just the idea of having one as a fashion accessory. On that note, anybody who dresses dogs up or carries them in handbags will be dealt with as soon as I come to power.
I suppose Lewis is lucky people take such an interest in him to feed this ego of his. Hamilton's commitment on track has never been in doubt as his hunger for success is often his downfall IMO. Ever since he entered the sport he has been heavily criticised and the guy has reached a point where he can't do anything right. Everyone has an opinion on his private life whether its good or bad and now his latest venture has been greeted with criticism. He's reached the top of motorsport, is a world champion and wants to be remembered as a great. Isn't that what they all want? They may not go about things in the same way but thats their problem not Hamilton's.

henners88
13th March 2013, 08:54
I think people are missing the point when it comes Lewis' museum. The guy is still in F1, and stating that he's trying to keep distractions to a minimum. How has he done so far? Let's see: getting a tattoo in the Mercedes motorhome, hauling around a dog with sunglasses, bringing an entourage to every race, letting his relationship with Nicole Crap-zinger interfere with his preparations in F1, buying a jet, and making plans for a fookin' museum.

Sorry, but Lewis reminds me of an attention-whoring SoCal girl who always states, "I hate drama" while simultaneously creating it. I wonder what Lewis will think of next. My guess is a deodorant product that disables your car prior to getting to work.
How about fans who dislike this sort of thing actually concentrate on whats going on in the racing rather than focussing on the private lives of drivers they dislike or wish they were? It used to be nice to see the support drivers like Lewis got on here.

EuroTroll
13th March 2013, 09:18
How about fans who dislike this sort of thing actually concentrate on whats going on in the racing rather than focussing on the private lives of drivers they dislike or wish they were?

Nope. That's a bad idea, Henners. We need to have things to discuss in the off-season, too. ;)

Personally though, I don't mind the museum idea. I don't mind the dog. I don't mind the unhappy relationship. All F1 drivers are essentially just entertainers. And Hamilton's personal life entertains me almost as much as his driving. :D So I say, well done Lewis, for having entertained me! :D You're doing a good job, and keep it up! ;)

Sure there might be others who focus more on the racing who will end up with more titles, but that's beside the point. :D

Big Ben
13th March 2013, 09:27
I'm going to visit that museum right after I read Wayne Rooney's autobiography.

henners88
13th March 2013, 09:31
Sure there might be others who focus more on the racing who will end up with more titles, but that's beside the point. :D
I don't care how many titles Hamilton finishes his career with, he is still the greatest driver of this generation as far as 'I' am concerned and he'll be the driver I tell my kids about. He may act like a tool at times, but its far more interesting than the Vettel's, and Alonso's of the grid IMO. They are great drivers too, but if they choose to live their lives out of the spot light that's up to them.

EuroTroll
13th March 2013, 09:36
I don't care how many titles Hamilton finishes his career with, he is still the greatest driver of this generation as far as 'I' am concerned and he'll be the driver I tell my kids about. He may act like a tool at times, but its far more interesting than the Vettel's, and Alonso's of the grid IMO. They are great drivers too, but if they choose to live their lives out of the spot light that's up to them.

Sure. I mean Gilles won diddly-squat in comparison, and he's still considered a "great". It's not only about factual achievements and statistics. Lewis is very talented, and a great entertainer. He will be remembered as such. :)

Natalie.S
13th March 2013, 11:02
Sure. I mean Gilles won diddly-squat in comparison, and he's still considered a "great". It's not only about factual achievements and statistics. Lewis is very talented, and a great entertainer. He will be remembered as such. :)
Me thinks Lewis' career rather resembles the career of son Jacques than father Gilles.

Won a WDC with a great team, left for $$$ to an uncompetitive outfit and p!ssed away precious years of his career without much success.
The irony to move to Mercedes where he can keep his trophies, only to win very few of them :D

The red plane, the bulldog with a paddock pass, the fugly tattoo and the museum :rolleyes:
The press will bring all this up again and again when results are not forthcoming
It will be very entertaining :)

EuroTroll
13th March 2013, 11:11

Exactly. ;)

henners88
13th March 2013, 11:48
Its not coming.

Dave B
13th March 2013, 13:00
Me thinks Lewis' career rather resembles the career of son Jacques than father Gilles.

Won a WDC with a great team, left for $$$ to an uncompetitive outfit and p!ssed away precious years of his career without much success.
The irony to move to Mercedes where he can keep his trophies, only to win very few of them :D

The red plane, the bulldog with a paddock pass, the fugly tattoo and the museum :rolleyes:
The press will bring all this up again and again when results are not forthcoming
My goodness I've just agreed with one of your posts! :eek:

Look, I'm a massive fan of Lewis. I suspected he'd do well in F1 but even I was on the edge of my seat in his first season, screaming at his first lap precision and amazed when he came within a gnat's fart of the title. I'm delighted that he became a World Champion and reckon he thoroughly deserved it. However, he seems to be going through the same phase that Jenson Button did when he had Flavio Briatore as a mentor and it's proving a distraction. Lewis has the potential to be a legend, but I'm worried that his management are steering him towards celebrity rather than credibility. He's still a young man, he's easily swayed by baubles and boobies, and I believe he needs to insulate himself from that world and concentrate on the job at hand.

Coulthard Fan
13th March 2013, 13:12
Henners no point trying to change dunnells mind he will always bash British drivers.

Coulthard Fan
13th March 2013, 13:18
What are your problems? You guys seem to think every driver should be like Vettel boring!
If Lewis wants to buy a plane or a dog then what's the problem? If I had that kind of money I would buy a plane!
If he wants to open a museum for his fans then what's the problem? He cares about his fans a lot more then any other driver he will always put them first!

And all this crap about money is beyond me! He has said from the start it has nothing to do with cash! He has said he wants a new career direction and to get an uncompetitive car to the front and challenge for titles!

Coulthard Fan
13th March 2013, 13:21
Do you think Lewis wants the media hounding him all the time?!? He's a bit like Bradley Wiggins just leave him alone to get on with the job and he's amazing but too much pressure and media frenzy can be a bad thing!

henners88
13th March 2013, 13:26
So is 2012 not an example that Lewis was able to do the talking on track then? He was doing the same celebrity things last season yet his driving was about his best to date. Why are we suddenly predicting he's going to become too distracted off the back of last season and before this season has even begun? Too many people too keen to see failure.

EuroTroll
13th March 2013, 13:31
Too many people too keen to see failure.

In this game, one man's failure is another man's success. ;) Personally, I want Lewis neither to succeed nor fail. I don't care. :) I'm not a fan, and obviously not a hater, either.

I just wanna say, "Here we are now, entertain us!" :D

Tazio
13th March 2013, 14:55
I'm interested in the competition, and am only mildly amused by the off track lives of the players. Having said that, I think "The Boss" can handle the criticism or he wouldn't put himself out there. There are other F1 pilots that prefer, and are successful at keeping their personal life more private. I don't think there is a right way to behave in this position as long as it doesn't affect your game.

SGWilko
13th March 2013, 15:37
I'm going to visit that museum right after I read Wayne Rooney's autobiography.

Surely, this 'Rooney' book will just have images in. Can the guy use a pen? :p

13th March 2013, 15:38
G?n dây, phong cách gi?n u?c dang th?nh hÃ*nh trong thi?t k? d? gia d?ng, dã d?n lan sang c? thi?t k? phòng b?p, t?o ra không gian b?p s?ch s?, sáng s?a, b? di mÃ*u s?c vÃ* du?ng nét r?i lo?n, lÃ* xu th? thi?t k? phòng b?p hi?n d?i. Phòng b?p v?n lÃ* noi ph?c t?p, n?u trong thi?t k? có th? gi?n hóa, khi?n ngu?i ta có th? lÃ*m vi?c trong môi tru?ng s?ch s?, g?n gang , tinh th?n s? tho?i mái, hi?u qu? công vi?c tang cao. Do v?y, mÃ*u tr?ng, mÃ*u tro tr? thÃ*nh mÃ*u th?nh hÃ*nh nh?t; thi?t k? t? b?p, c?a, m?t bÃ*n vÃ* tay n?m d?u r?t gi?n d?, l?y du?ng th?ng lÃ*m chÃ*nh. Ph?i h?p mÃ*u tr?ng v?i g? nguyên, khi?n nhÃ* b?p có phong cách d?c dáo l?nh-nóng k?t h?p, t?o c?m giác hoÃ*n toÃ*n khác l?, không gian l?p t?c tr? nên sang tr?ng. NgoÃ*i ra, v?t li?u kim lo?i sáng loáng trÃ*n vÃ*o phòng b?p v?i s? lu?ng nhi?u lÃ*m cho nhÃ* b?p mang d?m hoi hu?ng công nghi?p; t? b?p nh?p kh?u b?ng nhôm, trông l? m?t, d?n g?ch men nhÃ* b?p cung sáng trung, g?ch men ph?ng kim lo?i, tr? thÃ*nh th?i thu?ng.

SGWilko
13th March 2013, 15:41
G?n dây, phong cách gi?n u?c dang th?nh hÃ*nh trong thi?t k? d? gia d?ng, dã d?n lan sang c? thi?t k? phòng b?p, t?o ra không gian b?p s?ch s?, sáng s?a, b? di mÃ*u s?c vÃ* du?ng nét r?i lo?n, lÃ* xu th? thi?t k? phòng b?p hi?n d?i. Phòng b?p v?n lÃ* noi ph?c t?p, n?u trong thi?t k? có th? gi?n hóa, khi?n ngu?i ta có th? lÃ*m vi?c trong môi tru?ng s?ch s?, g?n gang , tinh th?n s? tho?i mái, hi?u qu? công vi?c tang cao. Do v?y, mÃ*u tr?ng, mÃ*u tro tr? thÃ*nh mÃ*u th?nh hÃ*nh nh?t; thi?t k? t? b?p, c?a, m?t bÃ*n vÃ* tay n?m d?u r?t gi?n d?, l?y du?ng th?ng lÃ*m chÃ*nh. Ph?i h?p mÃ*u tr?ng v?i g? nguyên, khi?n nhÃ* b?p có phong cách d?c dáo l?nh-nóng k?t h?p, t?o c?m giác hoÃ*n toÃ*n khác l?, không gian l?p t?c tr? nên sang tr?ng. NgoÃ*i ra, v?t li?u kim lo?i sáng loáng trÃ*n vÃ*o phòng b?p v?i s? lu?ng nhi?u lÃ*m cho nhÃ* b?p mang d?m hoi hu?ng công nghi?p; t? b?p nh?p kh?u b?ng nhôm, trông l? m?t, d?n g?ch men nhÃ* b?p cung sáng trung, g?ch men ph?ng kim lo?i, tr? thÃ*nh th?i thu?ng.

Agree entirely, but only on a Tuesday, don't you think?

Tazio
13th March 2013, 15:43
Dang, the phong trong gang! :eek:

steveaki13
13th March 2013, 17:42
Or perhaps its a way to share his success with his fans and those that appreciate his achievements up until now? If you don't like it, don't visit. Simple as that.

Or if you dont like it. Do visit and trash the place. ;)

Seriously though I wouldnt visit, but if people would and he does it. so what, enjoy

henners88
13th March 2013, 17:49
Or if you dont like it. Do visit and trash the place. ;)

Seriously though I wouldnt visit, but if people would and he does it. so what, enjoy
I doubt I'll ever visit. I've met the guy a couple of times and have plenty of photo's of my GP experiences. But if fans want to see a bit of memorabilia of a driver they like then so what? People don't claim arrogance when they see cars lined up at the MTC. Its a display and people enjoy seeing the history. I remember my Dad buying a BMW from Damon Hill's BMW franchise in Leamington Spa years ago. In the showroom they had race suits and trophies. At no point did I think it was arrogant for an F1 driver to show off part of his collection to potential punters.

wedge
13th March 2013, 21:09
My goodness I've just agreed with one of your posts! :eek:

Look, I'm a massive fan of Lewis. I suspected he'd do well in F1 but even I was on the edge of my seat in his first season, screaming at his first lap precision and amazed when he came within a gnat's fart of the title. I'm delighted that he became a World Champion and reckon he thoroughly deserved it. However, he seems to be going through the same phase that Jenson Button did when he had Flavio Briatore as a mentor and it's proving a distraction. Lewis has the potential to be a legend, but I'm worried that his management are steering him towards celebrity rather than credibility. He's still a young man, he's easily swayed by baubles and boobies, and I believe he needs to insulate himself from that world and concentrate on the job at hand.

JB wasn't mentored by Flav. Flav kicked him out in favour of Alonso.

Half a season at Benetton he turned it aroind and applied himself as a professional F1 driver. Even at Honda he was regarded as a Playboy.

Saying that you arw worried even though you tarnished him beforehand seems rather unfair as the racing has barely begun. The money earnt at MGP is an easy excus to bash LH. McLaren's future doesn't seem oarticularly rosy.

BDunnell
13th March 2013, 21:17
Henners no point trying to change dunnells mind he will always bash British drivers.

Pardon?

gloomyDAY
13th March 2013, 22:22
How about fans who dislike this sort of thing actually concentrate on whats going on in the racing rather than focussing on the private lives of drivers they dislike or wish they were? It used to be nice to see the support drivers like Lewis got on here.I used to be a supporter of Lewis Hamilton, but his antics got to be too much for my taste. I really dig the guy and wish him nothing but success. Hell, I still get excited when he wins and felt terribly for him while McLaren couldn't produce Lewis a reliably fast car. The part that grinds my gears is that he doesn't seem focused on F1. I just don't want to see a repeat of 2011 for Lewis, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

Natalie.S
13th March 2013, 23:50
I used to be a supporter of Lewis Hamilton, but his antics got to be too much for my taste.
Same here, I enjoyed it very much when he first came onto the scene in 07.
Really had Alonso rattled as a newbie.

Then came his comments after Monaco 07
Then the Hungary 07 betrayal of solid McLaren instructions
The choking at the end of his 07 campaign
His flaky 08 season only beating Massa by pure chance
And I gave up on the dude after his repeated lies in Australia 09. :mad:

Glad I did, now he just wants to be a celebrity.
Don't care for that and think he'll be small potatoes in the record books compared to the true greats of this era.

At least his path (fall) in F1 will be entertaining :D

Natalie.S
14th March 2013, 00:14
And here we go:

If you are wondering what a 28-year‑old already planning a museum to his personage does next, I'm sure Lewis would advise you to refuse to accept the limits other people place on you. Perhaps for his 40th birthday he will begin construction of a mausoleum atop the aforementioned museum. Maybe he'll even go the whole hog and commission a pyramid.

Told you so the press will have a lot of fun with his daft comments :D

Is Lewis Hamilton the new Tom Cruise? We can only hope so | Marina Hyde | Sport | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/mar/13/lewis-hamilton-tom-cruise)

Coulthard Fan
14th March 2013, 00:51
Natalie championships are won and lost over the course of a season not just one race.
His betrayal of team orders at Hungary!?!? Please do me a favour. So Alonso was not in the wrong at all then Natalie?
Repeated lies in Australia he was only following what the team told him to do!

EuroTroll
14th March 2013, 07:00
Repeated lies in Australia he was only following what the team told him to do!

"I was told by others to do so" is no defence at all. ;) Every child knows that lying is simply wrong. I'm sure Hamilton does, too.

But I don't mind. ;) It all adds to the drama. And I don't think any less of him because he lied. We all make mistakes.

henners88
14th March 2013, 07:43
I used to be a supporter of Lewis Hamilton, but his antics got to be too much for my taste. I really dig the guy and wish him nothing but success. Hell, I still get excited when he wins and felt terribly for him while McLaren couldn't produce Lewis a reliably fast car. The part that grinds my gears is that he doesn't seem focused on F1. I just don't want to see a repeat of 2011 for Lewis, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.
Yeah I remember very well how you used to support him and I think its sad a few silly comments and his choice of friends has turned you off him. I really don't know how you can say he doesn't seem focused on F1 when he had an amazing season in 2012 and really answered the critics after a troubled 2011. Obviously that is your perception of the situation and that's fine. I disagree with it strongly. Just thank your lucky stars the drivers aren't behaving like James Hunt and the likes of era's past. F1 fans are far too sensitive these days and if they aren't PR robots, the tabloids very easily sculpt peoples opinions.

EuroTroll
14th March 2013, 08:06
Just thank your lucky stars the drivers aren't behaving like James Hunt and the likes of era's past.

I do wish one of them would light up a fag once in a while, at least. :D Just to say, "I iz cool". :D

No, we actually aren't that sensitive. A person behaving as he wants to is something I very much would welcome. :up:

henners88
14th March 2013, 08:39
I do wish one of them would light up a fag once in a while, at least. :D Just to say, "I iz cool". :D

No, we actually aren't that sensitive. A person behaving as he wants to is something I very much would welcome. :up:
I wasn't referring to every F1 fan these days, just the minority who get offended by the slightest thing that isn't done by the other drivers or good PR for their teams. If Hamilton lit up a fag or was passed a glass of champagne on the podium, the internet would go into melt down!! lol Seriously though the champagne I don't mind but smoking is better left to past drivers. :)

SGWilko
14th March 2013, 08:45
I used to be a supporter of Lewis Hamilton, but his antics got to be too much for my taste. I really dig the guy and wish him nothing but success. Hell, I still get excited when he wins and felt terribly for him while McLaren couldn't produce Lewis a reliably fast car. The part that grinds my gears is that he doesn't seem focused on F1. I just don't want to see a repeat of 2011 for Lewis, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

Unless we on here are all prepared to spend a year with the guy, to see what he does to prepare and and motivate his team, we have NO clue as to his 'focus' on F1. Same goes for every F1 pilot out there.

SGWilko
14th March 2013, 08:46
Unless we on here are all prepared to spend a year with the guy, to see what he does to prepare and and motivate his team, we have NO clue as to his 'focus' on F1. Same goes for every F1 pilot out there.

If the best we can come up with is, 'he carries a stupid dog' then frankly, comments like that are not worth the paper they are not written on! ;)

airshifter
14th March 2013, 10:40
Yeah I remember very well how you used to support him and I think its sad a few silly comments and his choice of friends has turned you off him. I really don't know how you can say he doesn't seem focused on F1 when he had an amazing season in 2012 and really answered the critics after a troubled 2011. Obviously that is your perception of the situation and that's fine. I disagree with it strongly. Just thank your lucky stars the drivers aren't behaving like James Hunt and the likes of era's past. F1 fans are far too sensitive these days and if they aren't PR robots, the tabloids very easily sculpt peoples opinions.

I can completely understand GloomyDays point of view. While it may or not be true (which none of us really knows) the outward appearance at times is that he doesn't have his head entirely in the game. I really don't care what antics he is or isn't up to off the track, but when that is the appearance it comes across as if he either doesn't care as much as he should, or that he is wasting potential to do better.

Much like Gloomy I also have great respect for Lewis and wish him well. I personally think he is among the top drivers in the sport, but can be his own worst enemy as well, overdriving the car at times when it's not needed to really push that hard. On the other hand there are drivers like Schumacher and Alonso that appear so focused that it sometimes drives them to cheat or push the limit of the rules too far. Similar to Lewis I still respect their driving talents, but in those cases I at times wished they would focus on being human first rather than winning at all costs if it involved cheating.

This is just my impression of Lewis, and I think Gloomy has the same basis line of thought. I really hope he does well this season, and it would be a great success story if he somehow lofted the Mercedes car to another WDC in the next couple of years. If he did I would be very happy for him. But.... I feel the chance of meltdowns and "failure" relative to his abilities is almost as likely. I hope I'm wrong in this case.

Bagwan
14th March 2013, 11:43
He could have a real room , where he could show off the real trophies , and a replica of the real room , where he could show his replicas of the real trophies .

Valve Bounce
14th March 2013, 12:06

I heard it from the lady at the front desk that McLaren are going to melt all the trophies and make a very lightweight alloy out of it by combining the stuff with some exotic compound, then make a very limited series of very fastest cars on earth which they will sell to some sheiks in Dubai and Bahrein. The cars will be named McLaren Trophy!

henners88
14th March 2013, 16:43
I can completely understand GloomyDays point of view. While it may or not be true (which none of us really knows) the outward appearance at times is that he doesn't have his head entirely in the game. I really don't care what antics he is or isn't up to off the track, but when that is the appearance it comes across as if he either doesn't care as much as he should, or that he is wasting potential to do better.

Much like Gloomy I also have great respect for Lewis and wish him well. I personally think he is among the top drivers in the sport, but can be his own worst enemy as well, overdriving the car at times when it's not needed to really push that hard. On the other hand there are drivers like Schumacher and Alonso that appear so focused that it sometimes drives them to cheat or push the limit of the rules too far. Similar to Lewis I still respect their driving talents, but in those cases I at times wished they would focus on being human first rather than winning at all costs if it involved cheating.

This is just my impression of Lewis, and I think Gloomy has the same basis line of thought. I really hope he does well this season, and it would be a great success story if he somehow lofted the Mercedes car to another WDC in the next couple of years. If he did I would be very happy for him. But.... I feel the chance of meltdowns and "failure" relative to his abilities is almost as likely. I hope I'm wrong in this case.
I don't tend to pay too much attention to what he gets up to in his private life unless its shared on this forum. Apart from 4 races in 2011 I haven't never got the impression Lewis is not 100% focused on his racing. Sure frustration gets the better of him at times but the same can be said of Alonso and Vettel when they've screamed down the radio. Lewis isn't the most complete driver on the grid but he's by far the most exciting. He'll take risks most others won't and will often walk away from a smoking car. I like that in a driver and I put that down to blind determination rather than his dog, what he says on twitter, his celebrity girlfriend, silly magazine shoots, or hooning his car in Oz. He's the only driver I know who has so much of his private life discussed among fans and I'm sorry but I don't share yours and Gloomy's opinion on this.

rjbetty
14th March 2013, 16:59

Come to think of it, we (I) never did find out who the mystery smoker Nico Rosberg alluded to last year was. Was really curious about that for some reason. :s mokin:

gloomyDAY
14th March 2013, 18:09
Yeah I remember very well how you used to support him and I think its sad a few silly comments and his choice of friends has turned you off him. I really don't know how you can say he doesn't seem focused on F1 when he had an amazing season in 2012 and really answered the critics after a troubled 2011. Obviously that is your perception of the situation and that's fine. I disagree with it strongly. Just thank your lucky stars the drivers aren't behaving like James Hunt and the likes of era's past. F1 fans are far too sensitive these days and if they aren't PR robots, the tabloids very easily sculpt peoples opinions.Damn. That's a good reply.

Fook, man! That makes me want to get back on the Hamilton bandwagon. :vader:

Bagwan
14th March 2013, 19:21
I'm kinda warming towards him , if I'm honest , if only for the entertainment factor .
What we see seems to really be what Lewis is about .

That includes being good to his fans , which is admirable .

But , it's also the drama that seems to follow him , followed by the press .
What do you think the chances are that there is a pool between all the paddock photographers as to who gets the first shot of the dog having a crap in the pits ?

Sure , the press follows him , likely more than any of the others , but , when he's doing things like bringing along his pet to the races , a British bulldog(dare not make it a schnauzer , reminding folks he's not going for German citizenship) , he's essentially inviting them along .

And , I guess I'm starting to realize this is Lewis . It's who he is .

James was great . He had personality .
One thing that really endeared me to Jacques was when he had the stones to become blonde in front of the world as a lark .
When they taught Mika to talk , I really warmed to him , as he showed he had a sharp wit , when earlier he was like interviewing a stick .
Kimi can slay an interviewer with quick glance .

If he can keep up the driving , and keep doing stuff like some of the crazy things he's done in the past , it's just all the more entertainment .
And , it's great .

Henners , you might not believe this , but I really do hope he's right up there at the front with the others .

Tazio
14th March 2013, 19:35
I'm kinda warming towards him , if I'm honest , if only for the entertainment factor .
What we see seems to really be what Lewis is about .
I have to say I've joined the ranks of the Hamiltonians

Zico
15th March 2013, 00:03
I couldn't really care less what he gets up to, his dog, jet or lifestyle... Lewis is a phenomenal driver, that's what I rate him on and I really hope he has a decent car this year that can compete at the front end of the pack. :)

kfzmeister
15th March 2013, 02:51
I have to say I've joined the ranks of the Hamiltonians

Me, too.

Valve Bounce
15th March 2013, 07:27
I couldn't really care less what he gets up to, his dog, jet or lifestyle... Lewis is a phenomenal driver, that's what I rate him on and I really hope he has a decent car this year that can compete at the front end of the pack. :)

Yeah! put him in a Skoda and he'll burn up the track!! with a little helping push from his friends. :rotflmao:

Garry Walker
15th March 2013, 15:24
I remember when this first popped up last year. Some people actually thought that McLaren were right in keeping Hamilton's trophies and giving him the replicas! . [/URL] They were. They are the team, McLaren is bigger than Lewis Hamilton orany other driver. If I was a teamboss, I would take all the trophies as well.

Some would say that the Santander trophies already look like dog turds... Some would say Santander is a turd.

I absolutely loved how Dennis went ape **** after Prost gave away the Trophy :D Prost for president. Serves you right, rat-face :D Everyone, who takes the piss out of Dennis is by definition my friend.Such hateful bitterness from you. Do you hate all englishmen or what?

Lewis makes it so hard to be his fan. The stuff on twitter about Button last year was such teenage girl level thing, you wouldn't expect it from a grown up. He really needs to wise up and stop hanging out with the "crew" he has. He is such a great talent, it would be a shame for F1 if he never realized his potential.

truefan72
15th March 2013, 17:52
They were. They are the team, McLaren is bigger than Lewis Hamilton orany other driver. If I was a teamboss, I would take all the trophies as well.

Lewis makes it so hard to be his fan. The stuff on twitter about Button last year was such teenage girl level thing, you wouldn't expect it from a grown up. He really needs to wise up and stop hanging out with the "crew" he has. He is such a great talent, it would be a shame for F1 if he never realized his potential.

never realized his potential?
laughable

I love how somebody in front of a computer in some place, who spends his days commenting and going on diatribes about F1 on some forum, somehow feels they are in a position to judge an F1 champion, who wins on average, 1 out of every 5 races he has started (actually 21 wins in 110 starts), has 49 podiums in 5 seasons, signed 2 multiyear mega-millions contracts, has in your eyes not lived up to his potential. He pretty much realized his potential right from the first race in his rookie season. But I guess F1 teams, and his fellow competitors, don't know what they are talking about, only you Garry...lol

gloomyDAY
15th March 2013, 18:14
Well, here's an interesting column by Lewis on the BBC website.

BBC Sport - Lewis Hamilton makes his debut as a BBC Sport columnist (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21793873)

Tazio
15th March 2013, 18:30
Good read Glue! :up:

henners88
15th March 2013, 19:32
Yeah cool article. I think people forget he's still a young guy in a stiff corporate atmosphere trying to enjoy his youth.

gloomyDAY
15th March 2013, 19:38
never realized his potential?
laughable

I love how somebody in front of a computer in some place, who spends his days commenting and going on diatribes about F1 on some forum, somehow feels they are in a position to judge an F1 champion, who wins on average, 1 out of every 5 races he has started (actually 21 wins in 110 starts), has 49 podiums in 5 seasons, signed 2 multiyear mega-millions contracts, has in your eyes not lived up to his potential. He pretty much realized his potential right from the first race in his rookie season. But I guess F1 teams, and his fellow competitors, don't know what they are talking about, only you Garry...lolI think what Garry is getting at is that he, nor I for that matter, want to see Lewis become another JV. That would be such a letdown for a man with so much talent.

henners88
15th March 2013, 19:44
I think at this moment in time there are more successful one time WDC's we can compare Lewis to. He has double the amount of race victories than that of Jacques and IMO has produced performances that back up his place alongside the best.

steveaki13
15th March 2013, 20:04
I think Lewis is a pretty normal guy who is living a lifestyle that past F1 drivers have. He is enjoying his life and new surroundings and I really hope this move will bring a new lease of driving to Lewis.

It would be great if he could win some races and maybe even launch a title challenge.

SGWilko
15th March 2013, 20:14
the first shot of the dog having a crap in the pits ?

Catching the Hamilton mutt curling one round in parc ferme is gonna be a 'hold the front page' moment.........

Not.

henners88
15th March 2013, 20:31
I wouldn't be surprised with our tabloid press I'm sad to say.

Natalie.S
15th March 2013, 20:57
He is such a great talent, it would be a shame for F1 if he never realized his potential.
Gotta disagree with you there Garry the boy is completely realizing his potential
Awesome drives from time to time and deep lows with stupid mistakes

The kid lacks focus and imo is a few cards short of a full deck

I just hope he keeps us entertained with some great drives, silly mistakes and the occasional -twitter- stupidity off track :D

Natalie.S
15th March 2013, 21:03
I think at this moment in time there are more successful one time WDC's we can compare Lewis to. He has double the amount of race victories than that of Jacques and IMO has produced performances that back up his place alongside the best.
Hmm let's see and go back in time
He ain't in the league (yet) of multiple champions Vettel, Alonso, Schumacher, Hakkinen, Senna, Prost

So that leaves:

Button who spent many years in uncompetitive cars, nailed it when he got a great car and had the measure points-wise over Lewis in their 3 years together

Kimi perhaps, was close a couple of years, beat Lewis to it in 07, lost focus (very comparable) and is now back with arguably a better chance than Lewis at a title and beat him last year in an inferior Lotus

Villeneuve Started in a great team, fumbled it the first year and narrowly won WDC the second only to move to a 2nd tier outfit for $$$ Yep I can see the resemblance there :p

Hill Well he's British too and moved to a crap team, sure one can compare him to Lewis

After that it's ancient history, he ain't no Mansell and Keke is the dad of his teammate lol

So his contemporaries Button and Kimi he didn't have the measure of that leaves Hill or Jacques.
Take your pick, I'd say Lewis to date is JV 2.0 :D

henners88
15th March 2013, 21:10
You didn't then?

Knock-on
15th March 2013, 21:40
Such a lot of hot air. McLaren trophys are the teams. Merc can do what they want but they will only be around a few years. No big deal.

henners88
15th March 2013, 21:44
Such a lot of hot air. McLaren trophys are the teams. Merc can do what they want but they will only be around a few years. No big deal.
Indeed, I can understand why a driver would want to keep the trophies but its a team sport at the end of the day and if that's in the contract so be it. It's quite generous of Tyrell to allow Lewis to keep the originals this time around, but its a small price to pay for arguably the best driver on the current grid :D

Bagwan
15th March 2013, 22:23
Leave Jacques out of this .
He got screwed first , by a Flavio lump at Frank's , then by Reynard and then Richards at BAR .

Lewis left Mac with a fast car , and left for a works team .

Hardly the same at all .

truefan72
15th March 2013, 23:56
Gotta disagree with you there Garry the boy is completely realizing his potential
Awesome drives from time to time and deep lows with stupid mistakes

The kid lacks focus and imo is a few cards short of a full deck

I just hope he keeps us entertained with some great drives, silly mistakes and the occasional -twitter- stupidity off track :D

anybody who calls Hamilton "the boy" and "the kid" in their postings is quite obviously showing their intentions, and someone I'd rather not deal with
...nevermind the obvious disdain which manifests itself in posts that are closer to fiction than reality.
I've said my peace, off to the ignore list.

Natalie.S
16th March 2013, 06:16
anybody who calls Hamilton "the boy" and "the kid" in their postings is quite obviously showing their intentions, and someone I'd rather not deal with
...nevermind the obvious disdain which manifests itself in posts that are closer to fiction than reality.
I've said my peace, off to the ignore list.
Haha and people wonder why this forum is so quiet :D

Knock-on
16th March 2013, 08:01
Yep we have a few idiots but they get weeded out.

steveaki13
16th March 2013, 13:41
Yep we have a few idiots but they get weeded out.

I'd better look over my shoulder then?

wedge
16th March 2013, 15:25
They were. They are the team, McLaren is bigger than Lewis Hamilton orany other driver. If I was a teamboss, I would take all the trophies as well.

Really?

Senna had Ron The Don under his thumb.

Senna was allowed to have as much R&R over the winter as much as he wanted which riled Prost & Berger.

After the debacle of the 1989 San Marino GP did little to diffuse the row and arguably siding with Senna.

1993 season Senna gave off the impression of having a half hearted enthusiasm for F1 and being paid $1m per race.

17th March 2013, 04:00
úp cho ngÃ*y cu?i tu?n nÃ*o :D