PDA

View Full Version : Planning

EuroTroll
12th March 2013, 13:14
I've never been much of a planner, but I've been thinking lately that maybe I should start making some plans, setting some goals, etc.

How do you organise your life? Does it organise itself, around your work? Or do you make specific plans for your days, with a view of achieving some goals? If the latter, how is it working out?

Starter
12th March 2013, 14:19
The wife is the planner, not I. I make arrangements for major events or issues and deal with everything else on a much more flexible basis. (Drives her nuts. :D )

Mark
12th March 2013, 14:21
I'm planning all the time. I always have plans :) . The wife is always like "so what's your plan, cos you always have a plan", and for the most part she's right ;)

donKey jote
12th March 2013, 14:27
The wife is the planner, not I. I make arrangements for major events or issues and deal with everything else on a much more flexible basis. (Drives her nuts. :D )

Does she also make lists of everything, like mine? :p

Jag_Warrior
12th March 2013, 14:44
Since I was in my teens, I've kept written goals and plans. When I was in my 20's, I actually went to planning seminars quite often. You'd learn things like the importance of writing down goals and plans. You'd learn about the importance of visualizing goals and plans (in your mind's eye, you need to see yourself in that house, in that car with that girl, etc.). And most importantly, you'd learn that one must attach time lines to goals and plans. Years ago I used to write my goals down on paper. These days I, of course, use spreadsheets.

You can set all sorts of goals: financial, business/career, weight loss, relationship/marriage, children... whatever is important to you. But you have to write them down and you have to attach time lines. You might have goals that are long term (5-10 years), medium term (1-5 years) and short term (1 year or less). And as you approach those time lines, you need to revisit and assess your progress. When you reach the goal, check it off. It'll give you a sense of accomplishment and keep up your motivation to continue on the path that you've laid out.

When I got into Six Sigma about ten years ago, it opened up even more opportunities for me to use planning and goal setting. That program really changed my life.

EuroTroll
12th March 2013, 14:48
You're just the sort of person I'd like to consult, Jag. :up:

Some questions:
- Do you generally achieve your goals?
- Do you think you achieve more in your life because you set goals?
- What's Six Sigma? :)

Mark
12th March 2013, 14:48
I often think in terms of - well if I put that washing in now, and then tidy up, the washing will then be the critical path so tidying up won't cause any delay..

I've had many goals I haven't really reached, such as learning French etc. My current goal mostly centres around getting fit and good at cycling.

donKey jote
12th March 2013, 14:54
a quality sect :p

EuroTroll
12th March 2013, 14:59
a quality sect :p

Is that your way of telling me to stop asking dumb questions and google? :D

PS. Where's navtheace? :p

donKey jote
12th March 2013, 15:03
PS. Where's navtheace? :p

dunno, here ? (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=where%27s+navtheace) ;)

Jag_Warrior
12th March 2013, 16:04
You're just the sort of person I'd like to consult, Jag. :up:

Some questions:
- Do you generally achieve your goals?

Nothing is 100%, but generally, I'd say yes. I think of goals and plans like I do a map. How do you get anywhere unless you have a map, right? My most recent goal was to get a job with a certain company, that would offer me more of what I wanted for the balance of my career (not just money, but that was part of it). I visualized myself working there. Several times I drove by their facility and imagined my new drive to work. I ran through the interview process in my mind before I ever sat down with them (group interviews can be very stressful and tough). But I made that the best interview I have ever done. Finally, we negotiated on salary and benefits for almost six months. And then, after the last visit, they offered me an even better deal than what I was looking for. I must say, I have not been this happy with an employer in years... decades. I have had the Christmas spirit since about the middle of December. And it's continuing. I am one happy dude these days! :bounce:

The plan was to get in there. But to execute it, I had to know what they were looking for. And I made sure that I (or what I would stress about myself) was what they were looking for. After I joined them, they actually said that they were determined during my last visit that I wouldn't be allowed to leave the facility unless I joined the company. Hopefully that was just a joke, as that's a little creepy... but we're good with each other.

- Do you think you achieve more in your life because you set goals?

Absolutely. From where I went to college to what I now do for a living, it's all been based on goals and planning. But you do have to be careful what you wish (plan) for. You may just get it. And it may not be what is good for you. From college on, I saw myself as a banker and real estate investor. I saw myself living in a certain area, with certain assets and net worth, in a certain type of house, with a certain type of car, with a certain type of girlfriend/fiancee. I got all of those things - one by one. And I eventually hated my life more than I can tell you. These days I'm more careful to think about the possible risks and unintended consequences that might result from accomplishing my goals... and how my life might change - for better or worse. But yes, my life is based around planning and goals, which are prioritized and have time lines.

In basic terms, it's a business methodology based on statistics, that seeks to reduce errors and defects in a process. It takes many forms. One deals with design, another with strict problem solving, another with lean manufacturing and basic organization. It's used by companies that manufacture products (aircraft, automobiles, computers, etc.), as well as those that focus on transactions, like banks. My focus has typically been on products, but I also do transactional projects (but I usually find those to be boring). What I sell is, I save you money and you pay me some percentage of what I save you. The more I save you (or help you make), the more you pay me. The downside is the company politics and hard feelings that sometimes result from the suggestions and decisions I make or the things I find. With this company, I plan to remain apolitical and not get involved in any intra-company battles. I plan to stay with this company until I retire. That's The Plan, anyway. ;)

Because some have used Six Sigma in ways that it was not intended to be used, or they've used the wrong branch or not fully followed the methodology, it has a bad name in some quarters. But that's usually because most people don't fully understand what it is and what it is not. It's not a cure all. And some companies/facilities cannot be fixed. Some need to be closed or liquidated. And that's a hard thing to tell people.

EuroTroll
12th March 2013, 16:28
Thanks very much for the thorough answer! :up: It makes me want to explore this topic further, and start setting goals and making plans for myself.

I've been an under-achiever so far in my life, and that may well be because I've lacked direction, and just gone with the flow. Now that I've just quit my old job a couple of weeks ago, it might be the perfect time to start trying life with a new approach. :)

Jag_Warrior
12th March 2013, 17:49
It's never too late (or too early) to start developing and following a good roadmap or plan. :up:

ioan
12th March 2013, 19:53
A good preparation is the main key to success, and planning is an important part of it.
While I do not keep written traces of it I do however plan everything I do in order to maximize the outcome and also to minimize the input.
On top of that I also have backup plans for everything, just in case.

Big Ben
12th March 2013, 20:18
I studied foreign languages in high school, Economics at the University and now I'm working as a software developer.

Do I need to say that I follow a very precise plan in life? :laugh:

slorydn1
13th March 2013, 00:15
Ahh plans. I plan to do whatever Slorydn2 tells me to do :love:

Actually in all seriousness, I never really lived by a "plan" and am somewhat paying the price for that now. I always have been somewhat of a free spirit and just went where the road took me. Whenever I would get to a fork in the road I would stop, look, and decide that this way seemed the way to go and take that part of the fork.

Well here I am in my early 40's, with just a "decent" paying job (one that I am happy doing, but I could have been making so much more if I had planned and focused when I was younger).

If there is anything I could pass along to the teenagers and younger 20-somethings on this board it would be to come up with a long term goal NOW and stick to it. Yes I have had a lot of fun the 20+ years that I have been an "adult" but fun isn't the only thing there is to life, unfortunately.

Now, all of that said I do have one major plan in place and am working my tail off now to get there: I can retire in 11 years, 1 month, 17 days, 3 hours, 44 minutes, and 35 seconds (but whose counting, right?) :p :

schmenke
13th March 2013, 15:42

Ditto :p : .

Kind of ironic since part of my professional job description is strategic planning for multi-million (billion? :erm: ) capital projects for an oil & gas company :s :erm: .

SGWilko
13th March 2013, 15:46
I don't plan per se, but in these austere times, I am much more conscious of budgets etc. I never renew any of the home essentials - phone, Gas/electric, insurance etc without looking around for better deals to barter with.

We only book holidays we have the money up front for, including spending money.

Donney
13th March 2013, 16:00
I never made plans so I am one of the many underachievers around. Two weeks ago I decided it was about time to change that. I am starting to set goals, small ones so far, and I am trying to plan my life.

schmenke
13th March 2013, 16:01
I don't plan per se, but in these austere times, I am much more conscious of budgets etc. I never renew any of the home essentials - phone, Gas/electric, insurance etc without looking around for better deals to barter with.

We only book holidays we have the money up front for, including spending money.

Same here!

I wouldn’t say we’re frugal, but we are cautious with frivolous spending and try to stay within the limits of our income (i.e. other than obvious mortgage and car payments, we try to avoid unnecessary debt like the plague :s ).

For example, the schmenke clan leaves for Playa del Carmen for a week’s vacation next week, the cost of which has been saved up for in full over the last few months :) .

SGWilko
13th March 2013, 16:10
Same here!

I wouldn’t say we’re frugal, but we are cautious with frivolous spending and try to stay within the limits of our income (i.e. other than obvious mortgage and car payments, we try to avoid unnecessary debt like the plague :s ).

For example, the schmenke clan leaves for Playa del Carmen for a week’s vacation next week, the cost of which has been saved up for in full over the last few months :) .

I used to have a large credit card debt - in excess of £15k! Once I got that paid off, whilst I still own credit cards (one for white googs purchases for protection, and one for spending abroad to get best exchange rate and zero fees!) I vowed never to get into debt again.

The kids have their own future fund accounts for money that their granparents give them regularly, plus an ISA.

I have two personal pensions, my wife has her own.

We have a re-payment mortgage, which I am dtermined to start overpaying ASAP.

schmenke
13th March 2013, 16:27
I used to have a large credit card debt - in excess of £15k! Once I got that paid off, whilst I still own credit cards (one for white googs purchases for protection, and one for spending abroad to get best exchange rate and zero fees!) I vowed never to get into debt again.

The kids have their own future fund accounts for money that their granparents give them regularly, plus an ISA.

I have two personal pensions, my wife has her own.

We have a re-payment mortgage, which I am dtermined to start overpaying ASAP.

Credit card debt is a killer.
The missus and I each have one credit card which is never used for purchases that we know we can’t reasonably pay off in full before the end of the month. Funding for larger purchases is sourced elsewhere, either through saving or financing where terms are better than the credit card companies, e.g. bank line of credit, etc. These days, it’s not hard to find financing terms more favourable than credit cards :mark: .

Through careful planning ( :p : ) our mortgage will be paid off well ahead of term.

We try to maximize contributions to our retirement portfolios, and the government-sponsored education funds for our kids are well on their way to being maxed out.
We don’t live in a mansion and we don’t drive a luxury automobile, but we manage to live comfortably without having to resort to eating beans and wieners for dinner every night :p : .

SGWilko
13th March 2013, 16:31
Credit card debt is a killer.
The missus and I each have one credit card which is never used for purchases that we know we can’t reasonably pay off in full before the end of the month. Funding for larger purchases is sourced elsewhere, either through saving or financing where terms are better than the credit card companies, e.g. bank line of credit, etc. These days, it’s not hard to find financing terms more favourable than credit cards :mark: .

Through careful planning ( :p : ) our mortgage will be paid off well ahead of term.

We try to maximize contributions to our retirement portfolios, and the government-sponsored education funds for our kids are well on their way to being maxed out.
We don’t live in a mansion and we don’t drive a luxury automobile, but we manage to live comfortably without having to resort to eating beans and wieners for dinner every night :p : .

If we'd been as sensible as we are now when we were young.................?

:bigsigh:

J4MIE
14th March 2013, 00:40
You can put me in the group of non-planners also.... Never had any real plans in life and like others above have just gone along with things and never thought much about it. Event went to uni as that was 'the thing to do', still don't know if it was a good decision or not! Things have gone quite well for me over the last year, relocated with work and now doing a more interesting job with more pay and prospects and really like the house I'm renting. I plan holidays about a year in advance but other than that, I live month to month.

If someone was to ask me what my five year plan was, I wouldn't have a clue :\ Probably just to get my finances in order and save up to get a mortgage.... My problem is that I have no determination so anything long-term I just find incredibly frustrating....

gadjo_dilo
14th March 2013, 07:10
I studied foreign languages in high school, [url[Economics at the University and now I'm working as a software developer[/url[.

Do I need to say that I follow a very precise plan in life? :laugh:

Nothing unusual if you studied economic cybernetics.

gadjo_dilo
14th March 2013, 07:12
Nah...No plans for me.
I start from thinking about me I’m good for nothing and I’m not able to do anything notable so making plans is in vain. Most of my life was ruled by the others not to mention that there were times when I had no choice.
Then my response in any situation is not action. I’m more of a „wait and see” or „let the situation resolve itself in its own time” type.
I’m head in the clouds, insecure, hesitating and generally unable to take decisions even when concerning my life. When I take a decision then it’s definitely the wrong one.
However there’s still a written plan even for me. Namely a list of things I have to take when going on holiday at the seaside.

I’m afraid that what you call plans for me means dreams. I dream a lot with eyes open knowing that I’ll never try to fulfil those dreams. :laugh:

EuroTroll
14th March 2013, 07:17
You know, sometimes when you write like this, I just wanna give you a hug, gadjo. :)

Itsa notso bad. ;)

sFacWGBJ_cs

gadjo_dilo
14th March 2013, 07:27
You know, sometimes when you write like this, I just wanna give you a hug, gadjo. :)

Please, do it, ET! :laugh:

EuroTroll
14th March 2013, 07:34
Please, do it, ET! :laugh:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-hug001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

gadjo_dilo
14th March 2013, 07:41
Thanks. I feel better now. :laugh:

TheFamousEccles
14th March 2013, 07:55
Disarmingly honest, gadjo! Only later in life am I gathering the self confidence to actually back myself and set a goal or two. I think it is solely down to the birth of my son nearly 5 years ago.

Before then, I did whatever the voices told me... I even had a very well paying job for some time after my first graduation from Uni - I thank the Y2K bug (hysterical farce?) for the fact that I earned enough to buy a house and pay it in full within 5yrs, with enough left over to buy a toy or two. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a young turk go-getter type, I was always worried that I would be tapped on the shoulder and exposed as a fraud as it was all too easy. But I hated it. And I developed a monumental drug problem as a result (all resolved now, thank Dog).

I've known and still count as friends some who are highly successful and follow their plans( - similar to JagWarrior) and I admire and encourage them, but it wasn't for me. Some experiences in life have given me pause and I try to live each day grateful for the life of my boy, the love of my wife and friends, and that between us we have a good life. I guess the accident of birth - being born in the Lucky Country as I sometimes ironically refer to it - means that I have not had to suffer the vagaries of totalitarianism, for which I am eternally grateful.

gadjo_dilo
14th March 2013, 08:24
I guess the accident of birth - being born in the Lucky Country as I sometimes ironically refer to it - means that I have not had to suffer the vagaries of totalitarianism, for which I am eternally grateful.
Ironically, I don’t think that when I lived under a totaliarian regime I was more unhappy than I’m now. Some things were gained ( esp. on material level ) some were lost ( esp. on spiritual level ).

Mark
14th March 2013, 10:06
You can put me in the group of non-planners also.... Never had any real plans in life and like others above have just gone along with things and never thought much about it. Event went to uni as that was 'the thing to do', still don't know if it was a good decision or not! Things have gone quite well for me over the last year, relocated with work and now doing a more interesting job with more pay and prospects and really like the house I'm renting. I plan holidays about a year in advance but other than that, I live month to month.

If someone was to ask me what my five year plan was, I wouldn't have a clue :\ Probably just to get my finances in order and save up to get a mortgage.... My problem is that I have no determination so anything long-term I just find incredibly frustrating....

I like to make long term plans I'm just not that good at sticking to them.

e.g. In regard to cycling I said. "I'll get clipless pedals after 6 months" I got them after a month.

"I'll buy a road bike in Spring 2014".. I'm getting one on Saturday, etc ;)

jens
14th March 2013, 11:37
What an interesting thread, considering I have recently started thinking more about a properly organized life. Maybe because finally the conditions are favourable for me. Because I am self-sufficient and have some proper stability in life, which enable to take things calmly, set long-term sights and view situations in a bigger picture. I have got the opportunity to plan properly and well.

Basically my goal is to learn/experience something new every day. As long as I manage it and feel I am moving in a positive direction, I am happy. Also large part of it is learning to understand myself each day in a new and different life. I can't tell and plan, who exactly I am in 5 years time (it is too vague and life always brings surprises!), but I can create a guide, in which direction I want to improve during this timeframe. And if I have improved to a certain level, I can set sights to new activities, have new understanding of the world, find new opportunities which I am not aware of now, etc.

At the moment I am trying to learn in simple ways. How can I find new ways to improve things at work, how can I spend my free time efficiently (which events and places to go, so that I feel fulfilled and feel something new), with which people I should spend my time with that it would feel like a quality time, etc.

I really feel that if I improve a lot, I can fly really high indeed (mentally). But I need to be very strict and clear, how I plan my improving - so I feel that I really reach a new level daily/weekly/monthly and avoid getting confused. Because in the past I have been through confusions too - done some things, which I didn't understand, what did it give to me. Now I try to experience everything deeply with proper understanding.

Big Ben
14th March 2013, 12:26
Nothing unusual if you studied economic cybernetics.

i didn't

J4MIE
14th March 2013, 12:50

e.g. In regard to cycling I said. "I'll get clipless pedals after 6 months" I got them after a month.

Yes, exactly my problem! I just can't wait for anything.

ioan
14th March 2013, 19:43

Looks to me that you are achieving your targets earlier then expected! What's bad in that?! ;)

Mark
14th March 2013, 19:55
Usually the bad in that is spending money ;)

I now have a target of losing weight for when I go on holiday in a month. An objective which doesn't involve spending but may be more difficult to achieve!

Dave B
15th March 2013, 08:53
I plan to answer this thread in oooh look shiny!

Mark
15th March 2013, 09:05
I plan to answer this thread in oooh look shiny!

That sums up my issue nicely Dave ;)

Rudy Tamasz
21st March 2013, 11:57
I'm pretty good at strategizing and laying out long term plans. Figuring out details can be a pain, but then I have my missus to do that. I know where I'm coming from and where I'm going to in terms of life and career planning. I only try to keep in mind that there's factors outside of my control. I know I have be prepared to change my plans or switch do damage mitigation mode immediately if something goes wrong.

Mark
21st March 2013, 12:22
I'm in full speed planning for my holidays now; what I need to pack, how much of it. Looking at Google Streetview to make sure I know what the junctions look like leaving the airport etc :)

gadjo_dilo
21st March 2013, 12:41
I'm in full speed planning for my holidays now;

Great news. One moderator less. :devil:

pino
21st March 2013, 13:47
Mark's not a Moderator ;)

gadjo_dilo
21st March 2013, 13:58
Whatever.....
He's the Cerberus of the forums. :laugh: