PDA

View Full Version : Which Tracks do you wish would be added or returned to the calender and Why?

steveaki13
6th March 2013, 22:58
Inspired by Coulthard Fans thread on which circuits you hate or wish were removed.

How about your favourite circuits that you would love to see returned to F1 or just added.

I miss

San Marino (Imola) - It was not the greatest for races but would be happy to see it replace a bor-a-drome.
Magney Cours - I think a French GP is a must here or Paul Ricard.
The Old Hockenheim - A different circuit. Long straights and slip streaming battles.

Those are some for now.

Anyone else

Coulthard Fan
6th March 2013, 23:59
Kyalami
San Marino imola
A1 Ring
Brands Hatch
All good tracks I realise Brands will never be on the calender again but it is the best track for viewing anywhere paddock hill bend one of the all time greats

gloomyDAY
7th March 2013, 01:23
Laguna Seca

Watkins Glen

Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez

Potrero de los Funes

Mount Panorama

rjbetty
7th March 2013, 03:01
Oh yeah

Old Hockenheim - It was different. That's a novel thought now.
A1 Ring - Never a dull race there
Imola - it has this thing we call "soul", brother. :s mokin: *Jazz music plays*
Pacific TI Aida - seriously, I just loved it on Grand Prix 2!
Indy always seemed to be a pretty interesting race I have to say.

Can't say I miss Magny-Cours much, yet I'd prefer they reinstate it, only if it replaces India, Bahrain, China or Abu Dhabi.

EuroTroll
7th March 2013, 03:55
I'd certainly go along with old Hockenheim, but not Imola. A dull track, especially after the modifications post 1994.

rjbetty
7th March 2013, 04:47
They just keep on getting better. :)

Greetings and welcome to Earth.

AndyL
7th March 2013, 11:30
Kyalami
San Marino imola
A1 Ring
Brands Hatch
All good tracks I realise Brands will never be on the calender again but it is the best track for viewing anywhere paddock hill bend one of the all time greats

Agreed, best that modern F1 at Brands Hatch remains no more than a dream I think, the changes they would have to make would surely ruin it. The changes they've already made for DTM have been bad enough. Imagine the start of an F1 race with 22 cars all charging into Paddock Hill Bend with a championship to win - where would you want to be watching that from? From a concrete bunker a mile away would be my vote :eek: :D It's still a wonderful place to watch (http://www.squit.co.uk/photo/mgcc09/euroboss/11_10.html) the old (http://www.squit.co.uk/photo/historic11/f1/33b.html) cars (http://www.squit.co.uk/photo/masters10/gpmasters/18c.html).

wedge
7th March 2013, 14:45
I wish there was a mega rich guy/consortium who would modernise Road America.

schmenke
7th March 2013, 15:09
Laguna Seca...

Was Laguna Seca ever on the F1 calendar?

I agree, the old Hock needs a return :up: .

teamleader
7th March 2013, 16:01
I want to see Zandvoort back on it because i live 5km from it :D

pino
7th March 2013, 17:31
Imola of course :D

EuroTroll
7th March 2013, 18:11
Imola of course :D

Is Monza not enough? ;)

Duncan
8th March 2013, 03:51

Seconded (thirded?). Paddock is a great place to watch from. Really nasty adverse camber on that corner - one time I saw a Porsche 944 in a weekenders race subjected to an instant concrete-assisted short wheelbase conversion right in front of me... (driver was ok. I think his underwear may have been a write-off, though).

Also, the inside of Druids is a great place to stand. You can get right up to the barrier and watch the cars come screaming down the hill and struggle to brake for the hairpin...

Anyway, in addition to BH, I'd want to add/bring back:

Laguna Seca
Watkins Glen
Istanbul Park
Portland International Raceway (what? It's just down the road from here... ;) )

havk
8th March 2013, 06:50
Buenos Aires

rjbetty
8th March 2013, 07:10
Thruxton - I'd be interested to see how F1 cars go there. It's also something unique and is unspoilt by any kind of Tilkeness.

Pembrey - cos it was my "local" track growing up, and their kart track was my first go at outdoor karting in 2000. It was amazing!

EuroTroll
8th March 2013, 07:11
Buenos Aires

Why? IMO a "mickey mouse" track; the Hungaroring of South America.

Coulthard Fan
8th March 2013, 08:00
How did I forget Istanbul park!?
Also I would like to add Portimao

Coulthard Fan
8th March 2013, 08:01
I know it's never been on the calender but the SlovakRing is a great track

Coulthard Fan
8th March 2013, 08:04
Laguna has never featured on the calender but it would be great!
It was a choice between Pheonix and Laguna and they chose Pheonix bet there regretting that!

gm99
8th March 2013, 09:57
The A1 (now Red Bull) Ring.

Not a great track, especially compared to the mighty old Österreichring, but the races from 1997-2003 were always exciting.
With RBR being (on paper, at least ;) ) an Austrian team, it would be great to have a home race.

AndyL
8th March 2013, 11:40
Thruxton - I'd be interested to see how F1 cars go there. It's also something unique and is unspoilt by any kind of Tilkeness.

Now that would certainly be interesting. Might need a bit of widening at the start/finish but that could be done without spoiling the character. There is already a lot of runoff in places, and I think ploughing through 2-foot-high grass is a more suitable penalty for running off than having tarmac there! I guess Church would probably be flat-out in a modern F1 car but with the bumps it could be tricky.

Lap times would be well under a minute with average speeds pushing 150mph! (Damon hill did a 57.6s lap @147mph in the super-trick Williams FW15C in 1993.)

havk
9th March 2013, 16:54
Why? IMO a "mickey mouse" track; the Hungaroring of South America.

Don't know if today's F1 would produce interesting race on this track. But I'd like to see it again, somehow liked this circuit altough last F1 race was there in 1998.

The Black Knight
9th March 2013, 17:07
Laguna Seca. I'd love to see a race there. Might not suit F1 cars but if it ever happened I'd be there.

Knock-on
9th March 2013, 19:37
It would be amazing to see F1 back at Brands but alas :(

Thruxton has the speed but the chicane is a bit Monza Micky mouse for me.

Oulton would be a hoot and East London a classic.

If I was Bill Gates I would buy Brooklands, remodel it to include corners like parabolica, Paddock Hill Bend and 130R while keeping a banking section. He'll, with enough money, the FIA will do anything so why not ;)

TheFamousEccles
10th March 2013, 02:28
Phillip Island - sadly it would need a few mods but watching a pack of F1's wailing down into Doohan, around the southern loop and through the newly named Stoner Curve... In fact, any section of this race track would be spectacular to watch F1 cars circulate! Lukey Heights would sort out those with the big stones and those without. It would be utterly barking!

Garry Walker
11th March 2013, 19:17
I wish there was a mega rich guy/consortium who would modernise Road America.

Absolutely.

I will not even mention The Ring, because it will never happen, but F1 should go back to Istanbul and A1-Ring. Both were pretty good tracks. They could dump crap lifeless tracks like Abu Dhabi and India.

D28
18th March 2013, 17:06
Mosport to me will always be the spiritual home of Canadian racing. It was home to most Canadian Grand Prix from 1967 to 77, although a few were held at Mt Tremblant.
To really hang it out in corner 2 or 4 calls for commitment and bravery not seen in all F1 drivers. This circuit has been cited as one reason for development of a lot of good Canadian talent in the 1990s. It is the ultimate drivers circuit; in comparison Montreal is simply a track IMO. I'm in a minority for sure, but the reasons Montreal is acclaimed as a venue have little to do with the actual racing circuit.
There is not the slightest chance of F1 ever returning. The run off areas required would effectively ruin the circuit and no one would invest the required dollars for crowd amenities and so on. By F1 standards it is in the middle of nowhere.
Still the sight of F1 and Can-Am cars blasting around Mosport is something to be treasured.

slorydn1
19th March 2013, 02:41
+1 to all who said the old Hockenheim. I loved that track. :D
While we are fixing existing tracks back to their grandeur, how about putting the Bus Stop at Spa back the way it was, it's ridiculous the way it is now. :mark:

Magny Cours would be cool with me too, as if I remember correctly the first F1 race I watched from start to finish on Speedvision here in America was the French Grand Prix (I wanna say that was 1998-I remember the Schu won the race and his teammate that I cannot remember finished P2, but was like 20-30 seconds back).

I wouldn't mind seeing F1 at the old Nurburgring Nordscheliffe, either. Just imagine THAT lap time, though, even in today's cars :eek:

I also wouldn't mind seeing them on Daytona's road course. Could you imagine those F1 engines shreaking around the high banks at 220+? :beer:

A FONDO
20th March 2013, 20:41
Imola is such a perfect track, it should be in the calendar even twice!
Turkey is also very good, except the bumpy surface.
Both german tracks deserve to be in the calendar in the same season.

Shifter
20th March 2013, 23:10
Of course 'old' Hockenheim, but I'll keep it realistic:

Trade Bahrain for Imola! If F1 could make one concession for the fans, Bahrain has had its run, and now its riots. Meanwhile, sure Imola is a tough deal to overtake on, but moreso is Monaco. If I'm honest, Imola has just about the same tingly historic feel without the needless pomp & circumstance of Monaco. Even if an Imola race produced no overtakes, just to hear the cars roar and watch them slice that ribbon of tarmac up again would be worth it to me.

tfp
20th March 2013, 23:16
Imola is such a perfect track, it should be in the calendar even twice!
Turkey is also very good, except the bumpy surface.
Both german tracks deserve to be in the calendar in the same season.

Turkey - thats what I was going to say, and Im surprised no ones mentioned it earlier!

Shifter
20th March 2013, 23:16
I also wouldn't mind seeing them on Daytona's road course. Could you imagine those F1 engines shreaking around the high banks at 220+? :beer:

Well sure, now that the Michelin tires are gone from the series. ;)

Yes, I'm still bitter about the '05 USGP...

Hawkmoon
21st March 2013, 02:13
Adelaide - much better than Albert Park.
Imola - pre-'94.
Hockenheim - pre it's disgraceful emasculation.
A1 Ring - I always liked this circuit, it was short and fast and usually produced good racing.

I'd also like to see Spa, Silverstone and Monza returned to their '90's layouts. I don't think the recent modifications have improved the circuits in any way.

henners88
21st March 2013, 07:43
Imola - pre-'94.
A1 Ring - I always liked this circuit, it was short and fast and usually produced good racing.

I'd also like to see Spa, Silverstone and Monza returned to their '90's layouts. I don't think the recent modifications have improved the circuits in any way.
I agree with everything there. I think although the dynamics of the section between Tamburello and Villenneuve, Tosa corners were changed due to Senna's and Ratzenbergers fatal accidents, it was necessary. They could have kept Tamburello the way it was but applied modern barrier methods of course. Run off area was the problem because the proximity of the wall is closer than we see on modern circuits. Still it would be a dream to see it adapted and returned to the calendar IMO.

Big accidents can happen in the most unlikely of places

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg7O7WSWYWg

The Black Knight
21st March 2013, 08:46
Imola - pre-'94.

I was reading the topic of this thread and all of these tracks came to mind straight away. Another one is the Nurburgring and Suzuka. They have tamed out these tracks somewhat as well over the last ten years or so. It's not the same. People go on about how the driving standard is greater today than it was in F1 ten years ago when Schumacher was dominating. I don't believe this is the case and I believe a contribution to peoples beliefs is that the sanitizing of tracks over the last 12-15 years has meant that the men are no longer sorted from the boys on many tracks, which in turn makes some drivers look a lot better than they actually are.

Storm
25th March 2013, 07:51
Old Hockeheim through the forest. Sure it was not a big challenge but atleast it was fun watching them blast through and also had a few passing chances.

Laguna Seca - although hasn't been used yet
Watkins Glen
Oulton/Donnington Park

Imola maybe a great, historic track and also probably great fun to drive, it produces a crappy race.

DazzlaF1
25th March 2013, 13:45
I'd love to see F1 return to Long Beach, it'll never happen but hey, we're allowed to dream are we?

TheFamousEccles
3rd April 2013, 11:37
It's F5000 but it gives an excellent view of Phillip Island from the seat of a 500-600hp/700kg head-banger of an open-wheeler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6mJD9XXzU1Q

Further proof (if any was needed) that the FIM need to consult with it's fanbase once in a while. Also as mentioned above, Suzuka in its 80's to 90's configuration would be mega! Totally up for that one should it happen.

extrarice4me
3rd April 2013, 13:22
can someone send me some scripts or something so I can spam and win this: pokerlistings.com/competitions
I really want to watch it live this year.

dj_bytedisaster
3rd April 2013, 13:39
Can someone send me a hot poker to ram it up your backside? Go away spammer!

markabilly
6th April 2013, 17:54
Laguna Seca

Watkins Glen

Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez

Potrero de los Funes

Mount Panorama

Was Laguna Seca ever on the F1 calendar?

I agree, the old Hock needs a return :up: .

Seconded (thirded?). Paddock is a great place to watch from. Really nasty adverse camber on that corner - one time I saw a Porsche 944 in a weekenders race subjected to an instant concrete-assisted short wheelbase conversion right in front of me... (driver was ok. I think his underwear may have been a write-off, though).

Also, the inside of Druids is a great place to stand. You can get right up to the barrier and watch the cars come screaming down the hill and struggle to brake for the hairpin...

Anyway, in addition to BH, I'd want to add/bring back:

Laguna Seca
Watkins Glen
Istanbul Park
Portland International Raceway (what? It's just down the road from here... ;) )

Laguna has never featured on the calender but it would be great!
It was a choice between Pheonix and Laguna and they chose Pheonix bet there regretting that!

Laguna Seca. I'd love to see a race there. Might not suit F1 cars but if it ever happened I'd be there.

Old Hockeheim through the forest. Sure it was not a big challenge but atleast it was fun watching them blast through and also had a few passing chances.

Laguna Seca - although hasn't been used yet
Watkins Glen
Oulton/Donnington Park

Imola maybe a great, historic track and also probably great fun to drive, it produces a crappy race.

The old seca track before they made it better.....YES SIR

I was hoping they would build the Austin track to be more like Seca, but they did not.

One reason is that I read an article at the barber shop (Car and Driver, I think) about the current F1 standards about not having off camber, deceasing radius corners going downhill or some such stuff, that makes it difficult to do anything but boring tracks... :rolleyes:

9th April 2013, 11:30
All excellent paths I realize Manufacturers will never be on the calender again but it is the best monitor for watching anywhere paddock mountain fold one of the all-time best . . . . . . .

racerdude
9th April 2013, 15:51
The A1 ring and the Zandvoort. The A1 ring gave the most thrilling race experience for me since 1999. Also, the Zandvoort circuit because my relatives live near it. I want to see real live action there.

TheFamousEccles
13th April 2013, 03:28
Another one from the "dare to dream" files would be Assen - before it was neutered...

Watching the old 500ccGP bikes wail around that track was always a great spectacle, and an F1 race would likely be awesome. Though it is true that what makes for great racing for bikes isn't necessarily so for cars, but the combo of high speed and tricky camber as well as great spectator vantage points would be excellent IMO. :vader:

13th April 2013, 05:11
All excellent paths I realize Manufacturers will never be on the calender again but it is the best monitor for watching anywhere paddock mountain fold one of the all-time best . . . . . . .

"Surfers Rent A Car
Cheap Car Hire & Car Rentals in Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast | Surfers Rent A Car (http://www.surfersrentacar.com.au/)
2/11 Northview Street Mermaid Waters Gold Coast QLD 4218
Phone: (07) 5572 0600"
surfers paradise car rentals (http://surfersrentacar.com.au/)

mr nobody
13th April 2013, 19:38
Kylami would be great to see back.

Monza High Banks returned to usable condition and reintergrated to the track.

Estoril because that was the track I watched my first F1 race from so it's nostalgic for me.

call_me_andrew
22nd April 2013, 01:55
Indianapolis.

Not the infield course. I am refering to when the 500 was part of the WDC.

Roamy
8th May 2013, 07:15
I went to Imola. It is not the world class track but much class it has. I loved the racing and the people. I sat on a mud bank and drank wine with the locals - a time I will tresure forever!

webberf1
8th May 2013, 13:57
So many people saying A1 Ring. Lolnoobs. If you're going to do something, do it properly. Bring back the full Osterreichring.

zako85
8th May 2013, 14:59
The South Africa race track had been used for only two or three races. However, the one I saw was brutal. In 1993, 26 cars started, but only 5 finished. And this was without major multi-car collisions or adverse weather conditions for much of race. A true endurance race for the finishing cars.

zako85
8th May 2013, 15:04
Indianapolis.

Not the infield course. I am refering to when the 500 was part of the WDC.

It would be amusing to watch an F1 race during the 500 event, specially against IndyCars. I bet F1 drivers would make all sorts of stupid mistakes as they have no experiences on ovals.

Jordan Fan
8th May 2013, 15:33
Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez.

Adelaide.

Istanbul Park.

steveaki13
8th May 2013, 18:15
Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez.

Adelaide.

Istanbul Park.

Adelaide was great I miss it, would love to see it come back.

truefan72
9th May 2013, 04:17
The A1 ring and the Zandvoort. The A1 ring gave the most thrilling race experience for me since 1999. Also, the Zandvoort circuit because my relatives live near it. I want to see real live action there.

The A1 ring an ugly revision when F1 left. The new one is even worse. almost like what tilke did to hockenheim.
I lament the loss of this once glorious track. The scenery was/is spectacular. maybe one day they will lengthen it again and make it worthy of its picturesque surroundings.

for me there is only one track I want back...Fuji ( lol kidding)

It would be Turkey. It is a wonderful track

D28
9th May 2013, 22:37
It would be amusing to watch an F1 race during the 500 event, specially against IndyCars. I bet F1 drivers would make all sorts of stupid mistakes as they have no experiences on ovals.

History does not seem to back you up there. The cream of F1 drivers have had little problem dealing with Indy, This would include obviously Clark, G Hill, Fittipaldi and J. Villeneuve but also Brabham, Mansell, Stewart, Revson, and a few others.

Even Ascari and JM Fangio passed rookie tests easily enough though Fangio was a DNS.
Indy is not a typical oval and the very best F1 pilots have not made stupid mistakes there.

dj_bytedisaster
10th May 2013, 02:56

What experience do you need on Ovals? You turn left 4 times you be done with it. Someone remember Nigel Mansell in 1993? Came over and monstered most of the ovals. Oval racing doesn't take no skills.

call_me_andrew
10th May 2013, 06:15
What experience do you need on Ovals? You turn left 4 times you be done with it. Someone remember Nigel Mansell in 1993? Came over and monstered most of the ovals. Oval racing doesn't take no skills.

No skills? That must be why Christian Fittipaldi never finished on the lead lap in a NASCAR-sanctioned race. It must also be why Montoya wins so many races these days.

dj_bytedisaster
10th May 2013, 11:33
No skills? That must be why Christian Fittipaldi never finished on the lead lap in a NASCAR-sanctioned race. It must also be why Montoya wins so many races these days.

Most openwheel drivers don't do well in NASCAR as it is a completely different type of car. If you want a useful comparison you need to compare openwheel cars on Ovals to F1 cars and you'll see that for F1 drivers ovals were not difficult at all. Montoya did well on ovals in an Indycar, Alex Zanardi creamed the lot and Nigel Mansell scored all but one of his victories on Ovals.

Using 200 ton ox-carts as a comparison is ridiculous. How well would the NASCAR drivists do in an Indycar race?

musyarofah
23rd June 2013, 19:19
Returned:
-OLD HOCKENHEIM for sure :)
-Imola
-Old Kyalami
-A1 Ring
-Istanbul
-Nurburgring Nordschleife anyone? :D :laugh:
Added:
-Daytona (oval mode), will be great to see F1 in NASCAR track :p
-Mount Panorama

26th June 2013, 23:06
definitely San Marino (Imola)!

26th June 2013, 23:07
some of the best!

Corvettian
29th June 2013, 16:49
Circuits I'd like to see added / returned to the calendar:
Buenos Aires No.15 circuit (as used by F1 from 1974 - 81) - BA has been mentioned, but people are probably talking about No.6 circuit, as used by F1 from 1995 - 98. The "old" circuit had a big loop which made it more... "interesting".
Reintegrate the original first two corners at Interlagos into the current circuit - Niki Lauda was in awe of those two corners.
Kyalami (pre-1988) - The "modern" circuit is a shadow of the original.
Mosport - A great circuit still used by ALMS.
Sebring - I'd love to hear the F1 brigade complaining about how their soft tyres were being torn up by the rough surface!
Zandvoort (pre-1989) - a great circuit sidelined simply by the owner going bankrupt; unfortunately no longer what it was.

Circuits I'd like to see removed:
Any of the Hermann Tilke-designed circuits, although I might keep Kuala Lumpur.

Corvettian
29th June 2013, 17:24
Circuits I'd like to see removed:
Any of the Hermann Tilke-designed circuits, although I might keep Kuala Lumpur.
I've just realised that we weren't asked which circuits we'd like to see removed; I don't know where I got that idea from. Please ignore the second part of my post!

steveaki13
29th June 2013, 19:55
I've just realised that we weren't asked which circuits we'd like to see removed; I don't know where I got that idea from. Please ignore the second part of my post!

Dont worry. I think there is a thread for that somewhere similar.

I.e - a "Circuits you'd like to see remove from F1 calender".

Or somesuch title.

zako85
30th June 2013, 09:59
History does not seem to back you up there. The cream of F1 drivers have had little problem dealing with Indy, This would include obviously Clark, G Hill, Fittipaldi and J. Villeneuve but also Brabham, Mansell, Stewart, Revson, and a few others.

Even Ascari and JM Fangio passed rookie tests easily enough though Fangio was a DNS.
Indy is not a typical oval and the very best F1 pilots have not made stupid mistakes there.

I am not old enough to have seen those old timers in Indy 500. You do mention some of the best drivers ever. Among the recent transplants, Mansell's success in Indy Cars is probably more of a testament to his talent than a testament to the prowess of a more ordinary F1 driver. Also, Barrichello didn't do bad last year I thought. Still, doing laps with average speed of +200mph, drafting, and slingshotting is quite different from what F1 drivers do.

Ranger
30th June 2013, 10:58

:laugh: Stupid argument.

So supposedly where skills are required, Mansell won only 1 road/street race in 1993 - with the best car.

Guess he had no skills at all.

joeyz_f1
1st July 2013, 10:50
I'd like to see the European Grand Prix brought back, with Imola and Donington alternating as hosts.

odykas
1st July 2013, 11:38
Mugello :s mokin:

henners88
1st July 2013, 12:40
Good luck with Donington lol. It was never a sustainable circuit when it held its only GP and the infrastructure just isn't there for F1 even after being ripped apart and partially refinished. Its an enjoyable circuit to attend for smaller events though.

DexDexter
1st July 2013, 14:46
Hockenheim the way it was before they turned it into a mickey mouse.

D28
2nd July 2013, 23:56
I am not old enough to have seen those old timers in Indy 500. You do mention some of the best drivers ever. Among the recent transplants, Mansell's success in Indy Cars is probably more of a testament to his talent than a testament to the prowess of a more ordinary F1 driver. Also, Barrichello didn't do bad last year I thought. Still, doing laps with average speed of +200mph, drafting, and slingshotting is quite different from what F1 drivers do.

In 93 Mansell came within a hair of being the 6th WC to win at Indy, in his first visit. There is a long list of F1 drivers I didn't mention, who ran well at Indy. There were also some who plain hated the place, but in general F1 drivers have handled themselves very well there, with no obvious "stupid mistakes".

D28
6th July 2013, 17:22
Pino: Do you have any advice on how to cope with irritating advertisements, that intrude on the message space, and adjust original post into a vertical ribbon, impossible to read? An example appears a few posts above, at least on my computer.
Anyone else have this problem?

pino
6th July 2013, 17:37
Sorry I don't know how to help as I am almost using my mobile to access in here. Try Feedback Forum, our webmaster might help you ;)

Roamy
6th July 2013, 18:17
imola
the glenn
jerez
portugal
nurembug the long course

djparky
6th July 2013, 20:58
hmmm

the old Ostereichring (now the A1 ring) last used in 1987 before Tilke chopped it to bits
Hockenheim- the old version with the long straights
Kyalami- version last used in 1985 not the sanatised track from the early 1990's
imola- the new version looks racier now they've taken out the chicance before the pitlane

Corvettian
6th July 2013, 21:42
Hockenheim- the old version with the long straights
Do you mean the version used for the 1970 German Grand Prix, without any chicanes? That was like pre-chicane Monza: a slipstreamer's dream!

Corvettian
6th July 2013, 21:50
I'd like to see the European Grand Prix brought back, with Imola and Donington alternating as hosts.
At one time (until the 1970s, I think), the title of "Grand Prix of Europe" rotated around all of the European F1 races. The 1955 Grand Prix of Europe was the Monaco GP, for example.

D28
8th July 2013, 15:09

I believe Bernie is against the idea of one country having 2 F1 races in the same year, given the expanded calendar. US seems to be the exception, but we haven't really seen the 2 new proposed races yet, and perhaps never will. Maybe it's his idea to make up for the dozen or so years without any US GP.

SGWilko
8th July 2013, 16:32
Adelaide, Austria (cos I got pi55ed watching that on honeymoon in 2003 while the Mrs had a Spa day and our daughter was subsequently conceived later that afternoon) :D and Turkey.

dj_bytedisaster
8th July 2013, 16:57
TMI, SGWilco :D

But I'm with you on Adelaide. It was a brilliant track, Loved in the good old GrandPrix 2 playing times. A real man's circuit :D

steveaki13
8th July 2013, 22:09
I believe Bernie is against the idea of one country having 2 F1 races in the same year, given the expanded calendar. US seems to be the exception,

I think its more a case of Bernie not wanting any nation to have 2 races unless they have a top driver and he can make more from that country (i.e -2 German races when Schumi was around, then 2 Spanish when Fernando was at the top) or a country that has buckets of money and potential of money (i.e USA).

steveaki13
8th July 2013, 22:10
But I'm with you on Adelaide. It was a brilliant track, Loved in the good old GrandPrix 2 playing times. A real man's circuit :D

Me too Adelaide Rocked

MarkJones
9th July 2013, 09:24
I vote for the mighty Bremgarten.

Sure, they'd have to change the Swiss laws, and remove all the houses built where the track was, then rebuild the track. But still, it'd be worth it!

15th July 2013, 19:00
Absolutely casual concurrence

heliocastroneves#3
15th July 2013, 23:53
Dijon Prenois

JasonPotato
16th July 2013, 13:11
Get rid of the terrible Nurburgring GP circuit and return to the older Nordschliefe track. It is an awesome track but i guess it would raise quite a few issues. Most of which to do with the length of the track and safety concerns.

heliocastroneves#3
16th July 2013, 13:28
As a guy who's against modifying circuits and unnecessary stupid safety protocols such as run-off areas, low curbstones and unnecessarily re-asphalting a track to remove eventual challenging bumps, I say that running on the Nordschleife goes too far.. I'm a very experienced sim racer but there's one track on which I only might have just once completed a lap successfully without a mistake.. That's that dangerous and way too long Nordschleife circuit indeed... Running on that track in real life is even with those safe cars we have nowadays, asking for one or more fatality. Okay, they ran there in the past but remember that those cars were much slower and so it was easier to react on all those challenging and bumpy turns.. It's a beautiful track but F1 should not race there... Let them race at Sonoma Raceway, Barber Motorsports Park and Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course and indeed... Without modifying the track, so NO lower curbstones, NO run-off areas and NO new asphalt.

call_me_andrew
17th July 2013, 02:19
On the one hand: Even IndyCar can't make Sonoma look good for OW cars.

On the other hand: It is the anti-Tilkedrome.