PDA

View Full Version : How good or out of shape are you all in???

race aficionado
10th December 2006, 21:02
I'm in the dumps . . . . pathetic!

When I was young I played football and basketball every day, all day it seemed.
Later in life I became a gym buff and when I turned 40 I stopped exercizing regularly and focused on my son, wife and work.

Last year I was back on the football (soccer) field coaching my son Manuel's team on the NYC West Side Soccer League. At the end of the season, the league organized a "parents" game and I enthusiastically signed on. I bought myself some new soccer shoes, my son gave me some cool shin guards (we didn''t have those when I was young) and we played the game last weekend.

I started as forward and after my first sprint to fight for a ball I was wheezing - so was the other dad I was sprinting with and we both knew that we were into a whole new and painful different world.

The good news is that I actually scored a goal, had an assist and had a cool out of the box shot hitting the upper right goal post.
the bad news . . . . I spent most of the game on my butt. A new reality for me was that my mind was faster than my body. I would see the play, knew what I had to do and when it came on to me actuallly doing it, my feet would trip onto each other and I wouuld kiss the grass, butt or face first. I did a lot of cursing in the process.

The first three days after the game were painfull and my walk was actually a waddle. It's been more than a week and I could not play a game even if I wanted to. Recuperation - if ever - will take a while.

My advice to you young forumers/ Don't let it happen to you. Try to stay in shape.

How are you all doing shape wise? ( and I don't necesarily mean belly wise)
:p

:s mokin:

jso1985
10th December 2006, 21:06
I'm in terrible shape for being just 21.
Last week I played indoor soccer, after 30 minutes I could barely walk :s

nicemms
10th December 2006, 21:08
My advice to you young forumers/ Don't let it happen to you. Try to stay in shape.

How are you all doing shape wise? ( and I don't necesarily mean belly wise)
:p

Thanks for the advice. I'll do my best to keep in shape.

I think I am in great shape. Go to the gym once a week, do pe lessons twice a week and walk to school 5 days a week at a fast pace. So yeh I'm in great shape. (well I hope I am)

donKey jote
10th December 2006, 21:19
too late race :s
I put on too much weight in the UK - no, not the fish&chips... muscle is heavier than fat :)
Problem is, stop judoing, squashing and rowing and 10 years later the muscle turns into fat :p :

wacked
10th December 2006, 21:39
hmm i play football and bball everyday.. started training for the marathon next month.. so would say im in decent shape.. i think..

race aficionado
10th December 2006, 21:51
I'm in terrible shape for being just 21.
Last week I played indoor soccer, after 30 minutes I could barely walk :s
jso! you are too young for that! join the soccer league pronto!

Thanks for the advice. I'll do my best to keep in shape.

I think I am in great shape. Go to the gym once a week, do pe lessons twice a week and walk to school 5 days a at a fast pace. So yeh I'm in great shape. (well I hope I am)

looks like you are OK

too late race :s
I put on too much weight in the UK - no, not the fish&chips... muscle is heavier than fat :)
Problem is, stop judoing, squashing and rowing and 10 years later the muscle turns into fat :p :
Donks, so you are one of those where muscle turns to fat? Stop eating so much and get back to those cool sports you once practiced (that is if it's not really too late)

hmm i play football and bball everyday.. started training for the marathon next month.. so would say im in decent shape.. i think..

show off! :p ahhhh . . . enjoy the moments man.

viper_man
10th December 2006, 22:17
Bit of a sob story this. Up until the start of this year I was in fantastic shape, went to the gym every day, played football twice a week, worked out at home, and went kickboxing. I was really proud of myself and was really happy with the shape I was in.

The only thing that was ever wrong was my knees and unfortunately for all of this year Ive been unable to play any sports and only been able to do very limited exercises as the problem with me knees got progressively worse and had to go to the docs to see whats what. Basically the Patella (knee cap) has been dragged towards the outside of the knee on both legs and the fibres connecting bones to muscles have been worn down as a result.

So at the minute Im probably in the worst shape of my life, and cant do a bloody thing about it. Having physio once a week is the most I can do until the quacks decide its time for surgery, at the end of February hopefully. Oh and its also probably nullified the Sports degree Ive got.

Cheers :up:

jim mcglinchey
10th December 2006, 22:21
That muscle to fat thing is a myth isnt it, I mean muscle cannot actually turn into fat.

I took up cross country running about 10 years ago mainly because it was great cure for my haemoroids I found ( improved circulation is the trick, you see ) and it kept me in great shape, but I haven't ran much since last summer and Im getting all soft.

race aficionado
10th December 2006, 22:22
That is indeed a sob story viper man.
It sucks really . . . . I hope that surgery does the job and that you are up and running soon.

donKey jote
10th December 2006, 22:32
yep. get well soon viper :s

Brown, Jon Brow
10th December 2006, 22:34
I have a BMI of 18 which is dangerously underweight!!! even though I eat a horse every day!!
I think I need to visit a gym. (or maybe a doctor)

donKey jote
10th December 2006, 22:37
That muscle to fat thing is a myth isnt it, I mean muscle cannot actually turn into fat.

It's not a myth, just a common misperception ;) :p :

Problem is you eat the same, muscle shrinks and fat expands. :(

Rollo
10th December 2006, 23:03
I play indoor football and outdoor cricket over the summer as well as still go football training over the summer as well. I do not play sport for my fitness (that's dumb) but I confess that I do keep fit to play sport.

So far this summer both of my averages in cricket are less than 5. ;)

janneppi
10th December 2006, 23:10
I'm the stereotypical road cyclist, 188cm, 105kg :D ,
Blindingly fast on downhills, slow as snail on uphills.
Where the hell did that 20kg come from?

I was helping a friend move his stuff last weekend, nine hours of going down 4 floors worth of stairs with the usual suspects, washing machine, 32" tv, etc...

I was even more broken than after a paintballing day on a forest course, i had to cancel my regular badminton hour the next day and my left calf is still a bit sore.

Bezza
11th December 2006, 00:50
I'm happy at the moment - I play football once a week and go to the gym four times a week - so I'm in good shape.

However, I drink too much at weekends and eat takeaways which takes away some of my gains! I also have a job which involves me sitting on my arse from 9-6 which isn't very active.

New years resolution is to stop drinking...seriously! Not stopping yet - its too close to Christmas.

harvick#1
11th December 2006, 00:54
I'm in good shape,

I play football and soccer, go bowling, play Basketball some times.

I should start running again.

Welding keeps my train of thought good as well.

J4MIE
11th December 2006, 01:17
Like race, I used to be really fit when I was at school, played a few hours of football every night and was out and about regularly.

Apart from walking through forests (and up alps!) at rallies, I haven't done any exercise in the 5 years or so since I left school :s In the new year I'll start going swimming on saturday afternoons but apart from that I don't have time to go and not having anywhere local (apart from the pub :p : ) means I can't do anything during the week - the most exercise I get is the 50m or so from my car to the office door :s

Quattroporte
11th December 2006, 01:22
I'm in great shape.....

A circle is a shape! :p :

Gibbsy
11th December 2006, 02:02
The mate that i used to gym with like 4 times a week, for the last few years stopped going around 8 or 9 months ago, and gym is soo boring on my own. So I havent been for like 6 months, i still eat as badly as ever so now im piling the weight on. I think i need to find a form of exercise that i actually enjoy.

Ultimately i want to lose around the 10 kg i need to lose and then take up boxing. Cause i think id be good at it.

BeansBeansBeans
11th December 2006, 02:19
I'm a stone or two overweight, and far from the athlete I was in my schooldays. I started playing football again in May with the best intentions, but only managed one match before suffering a prolapsed disc in my back. I started running again about 2-3 weeks ago, and was surprised by how much stamina I had. The exercises I've been doing for my back have really firmed up my abs. If I can manage to shift the excess lard, I might have a little six-pack under there!

wacked
11th December 2006, 07:02
need to cut down on my beer intake though.. been drinking too much i think..

Hondo
11th December 2006, 08:01
I can still get my leg up and over the Harley, so I'm ok.

Ranger
11th December 2006, 08:08
5'8" and 57kg but not that fit... just lanky.

Donney
11th December 2006, 11:52
I have the body of a God.

Budha is a God! :rolleyes:

Knock-on
11th December 2006, 12:31
Well, I can still play a few games of Pool, 2 or even 3 times a week.

I rigorously ensure I climb the stairs before I retire for the evening unless I fall asleep on the sofa.

My 6 pack has become a Barrel and I seem to have more "relaxed" muscle in places where it used to be firm.

I never smoke when I'm asleep and don't drink alcohol before Breakfast.

Yep, no worries here. I'm an Adonis in the company of you mere mortals. Now, form an orderly line Ladies. :D

oily oaf
11th December 2006, 12:37
Not too shabby for a coffin dodger
I have a fully equipped gym at home so I work out 3 to 4 times a week.
Of course I don't toss the heavy iron about with the same gay abandon that I did in my twenties but I can still bench press 300lbs, deadlift 400 and curl 150 and have a smaller waistline than my 3 lardy beer guzzling sons :D

In point of fact I have lost around 2 stone in lean muscle mass over the past 10 years but then again those gains were made by means of plunging a rather alarming looking intra-muscular syringe into my buttocks which contained a substance that made Polish racehorses among the fastest in Europe :)

I knocked "The Juice" on the head after attending a Royal garden party during the course of which Princess Ann stroked my nose repeatedly, gave me a sugar lump and kept whispering up my nostrils :mad:

I really need to work on my cardio vascular fitness but I'm afraid that Father Time and hip bursitis caused by too many heavy squats has curtailed my roadwork quite badly.

In actual fact cardio work is something of an anathema to the serious bodybuilder and I have known many "man mountains" who would lose their breakfast if they had to run for the bus.
This very lack of work on the heart muscle combined with the ingestion of steroids makes some of these fellas a cardiac arrest on legs trust me.

(turns blue and falls to ground clutching at chest)

555-04Q2
11th December 2006, 12:48
I'm a lean, mean, muscle machine ;)

Schultz
11th December 2006, 14:05
need to cut down on my beer intake though.. been drinking too much i think..

I will do whatever I can to get in better shape I think. Im joining a gym, starting to do weights every night, and having the occasional jog. But there is no way in hell i'm giving up the beer!

BaldyMan
11th December 2006, 14:26
Not good, need to get out more next year do some more foot marshalling.
Done too much work this year which involves sitting in the car.
Always on the large side but need to get active again, won't lose a lot of weight but will feel better.

wacked
11th December 2006, 16:40
I will do whatever I can to get in better shape I think. Im joining a gym, starting to do weights every night, and having the occasional jog. But there is no way in hell i'm giving up the beer!

yeah same here.. so thats why i run everyday.. and stick to basketball and football.. keeps the beer intake balanced.. so i dont think i'll be giving up beer at all..

Knock-on
11th December 2006, 18:04
yeah same here.. so thats why i run everyday.. and stick to basketball and football.. keeps the beer intake balanced.. so i dont think i'll be giving up beer at all..

I find if you have a Pint in either hand, you're balanced enough.

Of course, a Pint in the left hand and a Chaser in the right is OK if you have a Bar to lean on.

Holding the Pint and Chaser in the same hand is fraught with danger unless you can balance it with a Kebab or a Lady in the other.

I like being balanced.

race aficionado
11th December 2006, 18:30
You're on a roll Knockie.
I hope you get your golf cart for christmas - the one with the bar in it included - yep, the bar that helps you keep your balance credo alive and kicking.
fooooooooouuuur!!!!! hick!
:)

Knock-on
11th December 2006, 18:32
You're on a roll Knockie.
I hope you get your golf cart for christmas - the one with the bar in it included - yep, the bar that helps you keep your balance credo alive and kicking.
fooooooooouuuur!!!!! hick!
:)

LINK PLEASE!!!

:laugh:

slinkster
11th December 2006, 19:12
I think I'm in okay shape... couldn't run any marathons or anything but then I'm not planning to! I don't think I'm particlarly unhealthy or anything, but then I could be alot fitter than I am too I suppose.

As long as I have enough chocolate I'm good. :)

jim mcglinchey
11th December 2006, 19:22
Sure I'm the same weight that I was when I was 20............I've always been a fat b+++++d (copyright Rab C. Nesbitt.)

schmenke
11th December 2006, 19:35
Wine comes from grapes which is a fruit right?
Vodka comes from potatos which is a vegitable right?
Beer comes from barley which is a grain right?

I've always been told to eat more fruits, veggies and grains, so I must be doing alright :up:

Alexamateo
11th December 2006, 20:04
Wine comes from grapes which is a fruit right?
Vodka comes from potatos which is a vegitable right?
Beer comes from barley which is a grain right?

I've always been told to eat more fruits, veggies and grains, so I must be doing alright :up:

Here in Tennessee, we have a song about that:

"....that's why all them boys on Rocky Top get their corn from a jar..."

:D

wacked
11th December 2006, 20:36
I find if you have a Pint in either hand, you're balanced enough.

Of course, a Pint in the left hand and a Chaser in the right is OK if you have a Bar to lean on.

Holding the Pint and Chaser in the same hand is fraught with danger unless you can balance it with a Kebab or a Lady in the other.

I like being balanced.

yup as long as everythin is balanced, its all good..

fandango
11th December 2006, 23:46
Earlier in the year I was up to going to the gym three times a week, but then with the two kids and work it's hard to find the time.

However, I find that it's not all about doing exercise. I discovered this liquid that really has helped me lose a few kg and I'll even share the chemical formula with you all: H2O! Yes, not killing yourself but doing a bit of exercise, getting enough rest and drinking lots of that stuff actually helps. Amazing isn't it?

oily oaf
12th December 2006, 07:28
Earlier in the year I was up to going to the gym three times a week, but then with the two kids and work it's hard to find the time.

However, I find that it's not all about doing exercise. I discovered this liquid that really has helped me lose a few kg and I'll even share the chemical formula with you all: H2O! Yes, not killing yourself but doing a bit of exercise, getting enough rest and drinking lots of that stuff actually helps. Amazing isn't it?

Gotta take issue with you on the Adams Ale topic Fanny.
I just tried some and it's the Devils work I tell yers :mad:
(tilts back head and glugs down 1/2 bottle of Old Bushmills to get rid of taste)

Experts tell us we should be necking at least 8 pints of the stuff every day :eek: That's all fine and dandy if you're on the dole and can afford to spend the entire day standing in front of the chodbin with your custard rifle 'anging out :mad:

Hawkmoon
12th December 2006, 12:39
I'm in great shape.....

A circle is a shape! :p :

Yes my friend, round is indeed a shape.

In fact, the older I get, the rounder I get! :D

LotusElise
12th December 2006, 13:00
I'm quite small and light but not very fit at the moment. I used to play football for up to 5 hours a week and go to the gym as well, but since leaving uni I've found it difficult to keep it up. I do do a lot of walking/hiking in better weather, but it's not a lot of fun this time of year.
My latest attempt at raising my fitness levels is dancing. I have my first salsa class tonight, so hopefully that will get me off the settee this winter.

Knock-on
12th December 2006, 15:29
I've lost half a stone. Bloody hell :s hock:

That means I'm 14 1/2 stone.

I thought my trousers felt a bit loose :D

race aficionado
12th December 2006, 15:35
I've lost half a stone. Bloody hell :s hock:

That means I'm 14 1/2 stone.

I thought my trousers felt a bit loose :D

that's because you've just been to the loo and did a number two.

Knock-on
12th December 2006, 15:44
that's because you've just been to the loo and did a number two.

Actually, I did a little investigating and it turn out that I am slightly above my ideal weight according to my BMI.

My BMI is in the 27's where 25 is the upper limit for my ideal weight and suggests that I am slightly above my ideal weight.

Obviously the realisation that I am not perfect in every way, shape and form was a shock to the system so I beat a path to the NHS-Direct website and went to Mens Health.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/questions/category/index.aspx?categoryId=61

Now, what is it with the men out there that are fascinated by their penis???

Aren't we interested in our weight, hair loss, anxiety, heart and general health at all? It seems not. If it's not to do with the old meat and two veg, it doesn't make it onto the page?

:confused:

555-04Q2
12th December 2006, 16:00

All men love multi-functional tools ;) :D A penis is a jack of all trades, if you'll forgive the pun :erm:

race aficionado
12th December 2006, 16:11
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/questions/category/index.aspx?categoryId=61

Aren't we interested in our weight, hair loss, anxiety, heart and general health at all? It seems not. If it's not to do with the old meat and two veg, it doesn't make it onto the page?

:confused:

As long as you don't have a lump on it . . . . and of course the other 12 points are also keenly important, you are ok healthwise.

watch out for the last one though . . .
and #7 . . . stop gobbling those blue pills

ok I will stop now.

. . . . . too funny knockie :p

Knock-on
12th December 2006, 16:23
As long as you don't have a lump on it . . . . and of course the other 12 points are also keenly important, you are ok healthwise.

watch out for the last one though . . .
and #7 . . . stop gobbling those blue pills

ok I will stop now.

. . . . . too funny knockie :p

Not funny. I got one of those Blue pills stuck in the back of my throat.

I had a stiff neck for weeks ;)

race aficionado
12th December 2006, 16:39
at least they work . . . .

fandango
13th December 2006, 01:45
Gotta take issue with you on the Adams Ale topic Fanny.
I just tried some and it's the Devils work I tell yers :mad:
(tilts back head and glugs down 1/2 bottle of Old Bushmills to get rid of taste)

Experts tell us we should be necking at least 8 pints of the stuff every day :eek: That's all fine and dandy if you're on the dole and can afford to spend the entire day standing in front of the chodbin with your custard rifle 'anging out :mad:

Ah Bushmills. I haven't had any for a few months now. It's Blackbush that's my particular favourite - and no it's not a euphemism. I never liked water until recently. Maybe it's the global warming that's making me thirstier, but the trick is to drink it glass after glass without bloating yourself out. If you overdo it your body shuts down and tries to deal with the excess. I reckon that's how it works with everything, salt, fat, beer, whatever. Nothing's really bad for you if you take the right amount - except maybe that polonium stuff :erm:

LeonBrooke
13th December 2006, 04:48
About the only exercise I usually get is walking almost everywhere, and lugging textbooks around. Until I got my bicycle, when I started riding downhill, and getting off and walking when it comes to the uphill bits...

stevie_gerrard
13th December 2006, 14:17
I was gaining a lot of weight this summer, but i started working out more, and eating more healthily, and i got myself back down to a reasonable weight. however since being at university, ive put the weight back on :( so im restarting my workout to bring the weight down again, going to the gym, playing football fairly often. It's not so bad losing it, the problem is keeping it off.

oily oaf
13th December 2006, 17:24
Stevie. Stay up and watch The Ashes tonite. I guarantee it'll put you off your scoff for a week.

Ian McC
13th December 2006, 20:03
I have just been out for my evening run, having been for my morning swim earlier.

Still feel really out of shape though

Where is that oxygen......... :s

Dazz9908
13th December 2006, 23:10
I'm crap, well out of shape.

two years ago, I did a cartilage in my knee in which I under went surgery,
It got bloody infected and over a period of 9months, I thought It of and because of the infection distorted the bones. Ok for walking in short bursts, but running is well out of the question. I hate swimming and therefore turned in to slight fat BarsTard.

Georgeboi999
4th February 2007, 23:41
Im in great shape. Ive got good stamina and I am a fast runner.