PDA

View Full Version : Nicholas Hamilton WTCC 2013

Alfa Fan
28th February 2013, 00:14
Crazy.

I have actually not seen a more crazy story since Chanoch Nissany managed to get into an F1 car.

Apparently Nicholas Hamilton, St Lewis' brother, will be stepping up from the tail end of the UK Clio series (best finish = 10th) to the WTCC.

BDunnell
28th February 2013, 11:46
No, the series in which he's interested is the ETCC, not the WTCC.

Alfa Fan
28th February 2013, 14:01
No, the series in which he's interested is the ETCC, not the WTCC.

Not what Touring Car Times was reporting last night though - although it's not unusual for them to be wrong!

inimitablestoo
28th February 2013, 17:05
It's still a massive step. He's not really achieved much in the Clios - albeit in a series that has a very strong grid at the moment - but there does seem to be some basic speed there. I'd have thought another year in Clios would be a better option.

Autosport's website has the story down with "WTCC" alongside it, incidentally, but with "ETCC" in the title. So that's that confusion avoided.

rjbetty
28th February 2013, 17:17
WOW this is fantastic news if a little surprising. I was worried that his career might be cancelled seeing that on the face of it, his second season results didn't appear better than the first.

I don't follow the Clios much but it does seem that improved performance was simply masked by a much stronger field. There were several cars finishing behind him in most races.

Have to say I'm surprised at the big step though. I don't care how slow he is as long as he has the talent and gets 'there' - i.e. whatever would be regarded as respectable, since almost all drivers don't win the title.

Alfa Fan
28th February 2013, 20:29
WOW this is fantastic news if a little surprising.

I don't see why anyone could see this as "fantastic news"? Correct me if I'm wrong but so far in his career he's not really done much apart from being "Lewis' brother". Strange the difference people treat him and Max Chilton. I don't remember any delight at him securing an F1 drive, quite the opposite in fact.

rjbetty
28th February 2013, 23:11
I don't see why anyone could see this as "fantastic news"? Correct me if I'm wrong but so far in his career he's not really done much apart from being "Lewis' brother". Strange the difference people treat him and Max Chilton. I don't remember any delight at him securing an F1 drive, quite the opposite in fact.

Hmmm you know, that is a good point. But is Nicolas' signing depriving a talented driver from driving?

Alfa Fan
28th February 2013, 23:31
Hmmm you know, that is a good point. But is Nicolas' signing depriving a talented driver from driving?

No but then neither are Chilton and Razia. Doesn't mean it's "fantastic" news to see that sort of "talent" in F1.

wedge
1st March 2013, 14:40

It's a bit different for Touring Cars, endurance type racing, historics, lesser categories it's deemed more 'acceptable' if that is the right way of putting it.

A lot of seats need paying for these days.

Good luck to Nic. I think its great for the sport and motoring industry as a whole. You can come back from a war zone with a limb or two missing and still drive a performance car on the street.

inimitablestoo
1st March 2013, 16:18
No but then neither are Chilton and Razia. Doesn't mean it's "fantastic" news to see that sort of "talent" in F1.
Hmm yes, it's a shame to see GP2 race winners - including the series runner-up - make it to Formula 1... :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's fantastic news for the ETCC, simply because now people have actually heard of it. In terms of profile it's right up there with the Isthmian League in football.

rjbetty
1st March 2013, 17:09

I'm not sure. Timo Glock might disagree. :)

Alfa Fan
1st March 2013, 20:54
Hmm yes, it's a shame to see GP2 race winners - including the series runner-up - make it to Formula 1... :rolleyes:

Have you looked at the quality of the GP2 field recently? It really isn't what it used to be. Full of the same pay drivers filling out the rear end of the F1 field.

inimitablestoo
2nd March 2013, 09:14
Fair point, but you can only beat whoever's there. Somebody's got to win. And "pay driver" doesn't automatically equate to "no talent".

And in terms of quality of grid, I've just had a look at the 2012 ETCC line-up. If the 2013 field's similar, I reckon I might get myself a team together and - with no previous motor racing experience - I've got half a chance of winning...

Allyc85
2nd March 2013, 13:30
Il be your team mate, though I might need to lose a few "tenths of second" that im carrying at the moment :laugh:

Jon411
2nd March 2013, 23:59
And in terms of quality of grid, I've just had a look at the 2012 ETCC line-up. If the 2013 field's similar, I reckon I might get myself a team together and - with no previous motor racing experience - I've got half a chance of winning...

You stand a decent chance - I know nothing much has been said other than what is on Touring Car Times but from doing a bit of Googling it looks like most the S2000 drivers will be back for 2013 - only 2 I haven't seen linked to the 2013 ETCC anywhere yet is Monje and Biter although the Peugeot may not be out for Monza.

The STR car, the Mercs and a BMW or 2 from Zerocinque are so far the only annoucements I have found of extra S2000 cars that are intending to be on the grid, here is a (translated) list of your possible S2000 competition according to a Russian site which includes cars I have not seen mentioned elsewhere so not sure how reliable it is although to be fair to the writer he does say that realistcially a number of those probably won't happen, the list was done before the Hamilton news came out:

Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftouringcars.ru%2F2013%2F02%2F26%2Fe tcc-rasklad-na-dannyj-moment%2F)

Only Supacopa car I have seen announced so far is Pfister but the annoucement of the SMT class came quite late last year so they are expecting more Supercopas to enter this year.

Also, the second race in Italy appears like it could be at Enna Pergusa according to this so take lots of seat padding for your backside, judging by how the Superstars cars were attacking those curbs last year: Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=cs&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ceskeokruhy.cz%2Fclanky%2Fcesi-ve-svete%2Ffia-etcc---fia-wtcc%2Fmato-homola-o-sezone-2013.html)

Best of luck :D :D :D

Wasted Talent
3rd March 2013, 15:22

Well Razia isn't depriving anyone of an F1 drive now....

Lets give the new guys in F1 a year and then decide if they are worth a place.

WT

TheFamousEccles
6th March 2013, 06:12
So, can Lulu's brother drive? Don't get much info on the WTCC or the ETCC here in the land of V8SC - and I cannot be arsed searching the webs. It sounds a little like "lets give Lulu's brother a drive, we could use the publicity" to me, but I am a cynical type.... :dozey:

Tixy54
15th March 2013, 15:05

Could this just be "daddys money" that got him in the driving seat?

Mad cat jnr
15th March 2013, 20:06
Could this just be "daddys money" that got him in the driving seat?

Its actually Lewis that pays for the seat I believe.

Also, dont forget that Nic has muscle problems (not sure what exactly) so for him to even be able to race is great! Dont kncok the kid!

wedge
16th March 2013, 14:37
So, can Lulu's brother drive? Don't get much info on the WTCC or the ETCC here in the land of V8SC

You have nothing to worry, you're not missing out on anything which tells you all you need know about WTCC these days.

VkmSpouge
17th March 2013, 00:02
Full entry list for the ETCC race at Monza here. 36 entries including 17 S2000 cars.
http://www.fiaetcc.com/html/uploadedFiles/docs/2013_ETCC_Entry%20list_01_Monza_2.pdf

Tixy54
17th March 2013, 15:19
Its actually Lewis that pays for the seat I believe.

Also, dont forget that Nic has muscle problems (not sure what exactly) so for him to even be able to race is great! Dont kncok the kid!

He has Cerebral Palsy, has had a lot of operations just to enable him to walk and in my opinion presents a danger to himself and other drivers. Being good on a playstation doesn't automatically mean that you are good on circuit, or, can cope with the pressures.

Wasted Talent
17th March 2013, 16:00
He has Cerebral Palsy, has had a lot of operations just to enable him to walk and in my opinion presents a danger to himself and other drivers. Being good on a playstation doesn't automatically mean that you are good on circuit, or, can cope with the pressures.

As I'm not a qualified Doctor I'm not fully qualified to make a judgement on Nicholas, but given that a racing licence requires a thorough medical I would expect that he doesn't present any danger to himself or other drivers as that would disqualify him from getting a licence

WT

Dave B
18th March 2013, 18:49
As I'm not a qualified Doctor I'm not fully qualified to make a judgement on Nicholas, but given that a racing licence requires a thorough medical I would expect that he doesn't present any danger to himself or other drivers as that would disqualify him from getting a licence

WT
Indeed. Disabilities present in different ways for different people, and clearly Nic has satisfied doctors and insurers (the latter probably more risk adverse!) that he is safe to drive. As far as I know, none of his rivals have expressed any concerns.

Brown, Jon Brow
20th March 2013, 17:39
I took my friend with Cerebral Palsy karting once. He crashed and somehow broke his leg. Due to his condition the bones take longer to heal, so over 12 months on he is still on crutches.

Alfa Fan
21st March 2013, 00:17
I see he's in a Supercopa car now instead. At this rate of downgrading he'll be racing a peddle car round my back garden!

Lee23
19th April 2013, 10:00
It would be good to see lewis's brother drive with the big boys, but i suppose time will tell!

MrJan
24th April 2013, 18:02

After two years relatively incident free (certainly no worse than your average Clio Cup driver) Nic has not even come close to gaining the 'dangerous' reputation that his brother has sometimes had, in fact, as someone with a disability, he probably has to undergo a much stricter set of tests in order to get his license. 'Danger to himself and other drivers'? Not even close, certainly not to the same degree as a number of other drivers on grids around the world every weekend.

essie
30th April 2013, 15:04
this would seem the more educated option!!

Tixy54
14th May 2013, 12:48
this would seem the more educated option!!

What is the more educated option? Did you mean opinion. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, wether it's right or wrong, educated or not.