PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorship that works...sort of

MrJan
26th February 2013, 21:37
I was idly cleaning my teeth the other day and it occured to me that I happened to have chosen a specific brand of mouthwash based on a sponsorship from 20 years ago (Listerine's sponsorship of BMW in the BTCC if you're interested). This probably isn't the sort of slow burn that the advertisment was intended to attract but it did get me wondering if other people have found themselves falling for marketing years after the actually advert was around.

rjbetty
26th February 2013, 21:52
YES I was thinking of this recently!! I find that products I buy (pending available cash - you know how it is) are very much influenced by motorsport sponsors.

I don't know about others, but the first time I ever heard of many products in the first place (many of which are more well known today) was through F1/motorsport sponsorship.

The very Acer laptop I have and use was purchased based entirely as a kind of 'thank-you' to them for supporting Prost in 2001 - even though I purchased it 10 years later.

I first tried Red Bull in 2002-03, having been aware of them in F1 since I first started watching in 1997. I have to say drinking a can before every one of my college exams in 2003 did seem to genuinely help my performance A lot of people are surprised to find they were a major sponsor since 1995 - and even more surprised that they apparently sponsored Gerhard Berger way back in the 80's in their early years.

I have a Vauxhall Astra, one of the main reasons for which is because of their support for the BTCC in it's lowest days in 2001.

I would seriously consider buying a Skoda Octavia these days heavily based on their WRC entry, especially their 2001 season, finishing an extremely good 4th, 3rd (after leading!) at Safari and 5th at Great Britain. I don't imagine I would have given that car much time of day otherwise.

So it looks like competing and sponsoring are worthwhile to a large extent.

Brown, Jon Brow
26th February 2013, 22:04
I obviously use Head & Shoulders shampoo because I'm a Jenson Button fan.

donKey jote
26th February 2013, 22:17
I wear Hugo Boss because I'm a Lewis fan.

Tazio
26th February 2013, 22:51
...but I bet your missus wears Alonzo Bristol :wave:

airshifter
26th February 2013, 23:27
I don't buy much of anything based on advertising really. Which is strange, considering I spent years in a related field. During that time I also helped sponsor a couple of local race cars.

airshifter
26th February 2013, 23:43
I obviously use Head & Shoulders shampoo because I'm a Jenson Button fan.

Does is only work when your hair is properly balanced and you are the team leader in your relationship?

Serious shampoo question..... :)

D-Type
26th February 2013, 23:51
Where there's nothing to choose between brands, eg petrol, I think I choose brands who support racing. But these days I have to admit I go for the cheapest. When I smoked it was always a brand who supported racing - Gold Leaf, JPS, Rothmans, etc then Silk Cut when I switched to lower tar.

But generally I don't think I consciously go for sponsors' products but I may do so subconsciously.

MrJan
27th February 2013, 12:24
But generally I don't think I consciously go for sponsors' products but I may do so subconsciously.

That's the thing, it wasn't until I got halfway down the mouthwash that I realised the reasons behind buying it, when I actually picked it off the shelf it was completely subconscious.

henners88
27th February 2013, 12:46
I wear Hugo Boss because I'm a Lewis fan.
I buy Bridgestone tyres because they are the brand Lewis uses to hoon in Oz.

gadjo_dilo
27th February 2013, 12:52
And I continue to buy Gucci Rush perfume although it stinks because about 10 years ago I read that a certain singer used it. :colour:

Knock-on
27th February 2013, 14:22
I would say I buy Durex because of their Suzuki sponsorship but I'm a Yamaha man so just because 'Im worth it' :D

Donney
27th February 2013, 17:27
I drive a Ford, because (I can't afford anything faster and more expensive) in the price range I could afford they were the only brand who showed a real commitment to motorsport and rallying.

And if I smoked I guess I would try Rothmans for the very same reason and because their liveries were spectacular.

A shame I don't like the taste of Martini...

Brown, Jon Brow
27th February 2013, 19:04
I think I avoided buying Red Bull in 2011 when they were winning too much.

Garry Walker
27th February 2013, 19:34
I never buy a product based on who they sponsor. In fact, I couldn't care less. I never watch any commercials from TV and I don't in general pay attention to sponsorship news.

I avoid buying Red Bull though.

schmenke
27th February 2013, 19:45
There is nothing good about Red Bull :s

Tazio
27th February 2013, 19:54
I've never consumed a can of Red Bull (although I have tasted it). Coffee is still my choice in that arena.

Rollo
27th February 2013, 21:37
In the first year of uni, I deliberately didn't purchase a financial calculator made by Sharp and got one made by Sony instead, because Sharp were the kit sponsors of Manchester United.
I also have deliberately never chosen to get mobile phone services from Vodafone for the same reason.

rjbetty
28th February 2013, 16:17
I think I avoided buying Red Bull in 2011 when they were winning too much.

I meant to say I DON'T buy Red Bull anymore since I'm not the biggest fan of their team these days. :(

So their sponsorship has actually had a negative effect on me.

I just want to see them treat their drivers fairly, and I feel a bit funny about the Vettel-love from Dr Marko/Horner etc. :love:

rjbetty
28th February 2013, 16:19
I've never consumed a can of Red Bull (although I have tasted it). Coffee is still my choice in that arena.

Coffee is probably healthier for you - and cheaper. :)

RS
28th February 2013, 22:48
I think sponsorship is most effective for lesser known companies who wish to build brand awareness rather than straight "X company sponsors X team therefore I will buy their product" type of thinking.

I think a good example would be Medion sponsoring Sutil/Force India in F1. I would probably not have heard of them otherwise and just maybe it makes me trust them a little more now that I have heard their name and more likely to consider their products next time I have to chose a computer.

rjbetty
28th February 2013, 23:07
I think sponsorship is most effective for lesser known companies who wish to build brand awareness rather than straight "X company sponsors X team therefore I will buy their product" type of thinking.

I think a good example would be Medion sponsoring Sutil/Force India in F1. I would probably not have heard of them otherwise and just maybe it makes me trust them a little more now that I have heard their name and more likely to consider their products next time I have to chose a computer.

I exactly agree. I can't list how many products I first heard of through sponsorship in F1/WRC etc.

Acer
Red Bull
Yeah, Medion too
Even Johnnie Walker and West

Too many to list. In the past in particular I paid great attention to the details of the cars, including every little sponsor, including (and especially) on the smaller teams cars. I'm very influenced to get any products that have sponsored small teams if it's suitable to do so, as a way of appreciating their input.

BDunnell
28th February 2013, 23:58
Never once, even — as far as I know — subconsciously, have I been influenced in my product-buying choices by sponsorship.

Iain
3rd March 2013, 22:05
I was idly cleaning my teeth the other day and it occured to me that I happened to have chosen a specific brand of mouthwash based on a sponsorship from 20 years ago (Listerine's sponsorship of BMW in the BTCC if you're interested). This probably isn't the sort of slow burn that the advertisment was intended to attract but it did get me wondering if other people have found themselves falling for marketing years after the actually advert was around.

Certain items and brand names remind me of (mainly) motorsport sponsorships from before, but I can't say I've been influenced by them. For instance I often look at the bottles of Warsteiner in Tesco as I pass, because it brings up images of Joachim Winkelhock sliding a BMW 318i around a BTCC track, but it doesn't make me want to buy it.

rjbetty
4th March 2013, 17:02
Just out of curiousity, is anyone aware of any case of anyone being influenced to start smoking due to the presence of Marlboro etc? I can't say any of that ever had an effect on me, and they seemed to spend a ton of money on the teams.

Gregor-y
4th March 2013, 17:17
I still use Castrol oil but only because my father did when I was growing up and I don't want to upset any balances in my car that have kept it running for nine years. There was a period of experimenting with Mobil 1 when I bought this one but the stuff would just vanish at an alarming rate. I think my father got hooked on Castrol since he had a BMW coupe in the early 70s and some of their racing cars were sponsored by them.

I never smoked though there were a few people in the early era of Chicago Subaru club meetings that went out of their way to find 555 cigarettes.

MrJan
4th March 2013, 20:00
Just out of curiousity, is anyone aware of any case of anyone being influenced to start smoking due to the presence of Marlboro etc? I can't say any of that ever had an effect on me, and they seemed to spend a ton of money on the teams.

It didn't make him take up smoking but I know that, when he did start smoking, my brother went through a long list of brands that sponsored motorsport until he found his favourite. This including JPS, Lucky Strike, Camel, 555, Malboro etc. etc.

D-Type
4th March 2013, 20:06
I honestly don't think so. Cigarette sponsorship will influence which brand a confirmed smoker will smoke. But I doubt whether on its own sponsorship of a motor racing team, a race, or, for that matter, a cricket match will induce someone to start smoking. But, given how widespread tobacco advertising was, it is feasible that constant exposure to advertising of all the different brands might make an impressionable youngser think it's 'cool' to smoke and once they're hooked ...

Written by an ex-smoker who smoked for about 40 years until an Allen Carr clinic cured me.

BDunnell
4th March 2013, 23:49
I honestly don't think so. Cigarette sponsorship will influence which brand a confirmed smoker will smoke. But I doubt whether on its own sponsorship of a motor racing team, a race, or, for that matter, a cricket match will induce someone to start smoking. But, given how widespread tobacco advertising was, it is feasible that constant exposure to advertising of all the different brands might make an impressionable youngser think it's 'cool' to smoke and once they're hooked ...

Well, I should imagine it did, otherwise the very concept of advertising begins to be called into question.