Knock-on
22nd February 2013, 15:07
Just to be a bit balanced ;)

Starter
22nd February 2013, 16:28
The beer is pretty good!

Mintexmemory
22nd February 2013, 16:37
I'm not qualified to speak about the USA but having travelled all over this fair land of ours I wouldn't want to be anywhere else - just better border controls needed at Hadrians Wall and Offa's Dyke ;)

Knock-on
22nd February 2013, 18:33
I like my country but am very aware of its failings. Overall, and as someone that has travelled extensively in six Continents, there is no other country I would rather live in.

Knock-on
22nd February 2013, 18:59
Even if the residents can't spell ;)

Can a mod correct the thread title please :(

D-Type
22nd February 2013, 20:30
Even if the residents can't spell ;)

Can a mod correct the thread title please :(
Done :)

EuroTroll
22nd February 2013, 20:44
I think the sad fact is that the UK is no longer powerful enough to merit such strong emotions as love and hate. We can certainly talk about like and dislike, though! ;)

I like Britain and Brits a lot. Been there a couple of times and enjoyed myself thoroughly both times. I also really couldn't live without your many wonderful productions of comedy, and often enjoy playing and watching the ball games you invented.

Anubis
22nd February 2013, 21:05
As a Brit, I have that odd trait of loving all that is rubbish about Britain as much as all that is good. The country has its problems, some of its own making, others less so, but the good outweighs the bad for me. I'm not sure I could live somewhere that had a permanently optimistic outlook and an inability to laugh at itself. It's also my firm contention that our weather is responsible for a great deal of our culture and achievements. Had it been nice and sunny outside, Francis Trevithick would probably have gone for a nice walk. Instead, because it was raining yet again, he went down to the shed and built a steam engine. The rest is history :)

henners88
22nd February 2013, 21:08
We have our many faults but we are still the home of Formula One. ;)

donKey jote
22nd February 2013, 21:29
It had been almost a decade before I last went to the UK last April and I hate to admit it, but it really felt like coming home :crazy:

And that was in bloody Brum ! :eek: :vader:

steveaki13
22nd February 2013, 22:52
I havent travelled that much outside of the UK, like some here and there are many places I still hope to go.

However I am proud of the good things about all 4 of our nations. We may be a power on the slide, but we have given alot to the world and help the people of earth on there way.

Which is great to see.

As Henners said we are the home of F1, Cricket, Football, Rugby and infact most important sports. ;)

I am proud we gave the world railways for one, I think the NHS should make us proud. Its not perfect but I see it as better than the alternatives.

We have natural wonders too. One of my favourite places is the Scottish Highlands it is wild, spectacular and beutiful all in one.

We have failings too and I hope we can fix those, but on the whole I am happy to live here and proud with what we have achieved.

Gregor-y
26th February 2013, 16:21
I'd think the UK as a whole is hard to categorize. The people I met in Scotland, Ireland and the North were quite distinctive, just like the difference between Americans in Chicago and the rural Ozarks.

Storm
27th February 2013, 06:27
I like many (if not most) things British. Inspite of their 150 yr rule over my country - but hey I would not have been posting this in English (better than some Brits ;)

I love the British countryside, their typical sense of humour, even the weather (perhaps living in the tropics has made me type that crazy word). Absolutely loved the 2 weeks I spent in England (should have gone to Scotland though), met a lot of nice people (and that does not include Knockie! :p : ), loved the beer, the pubs, the B roads, the food - fish&chips and the scones mainly!..

I also am a fan of British crime fiction, many pioneering rock/metal bands and their culture of sport. Not any of the British teams though. Over-rated.

Knock-on
27th February 2013, 11:29
Oi!!!! :s hock:

:bigcry:

:p

rjbetty
28th February 2013, 16:04
I feel really fortunate to be born in the UK.

I guess one measure of how good your country is is how many people want to move into it. I personally know a few people who are some of the most genuine souls you could meet and are also very productive and contribute a lot to society unseen. Yet every year they have to pay a substantial visa to stay in the country. I'm not sure what the actual amount is but I believe it is a 4-figure sum every year! They are under constant threat from deportation. It makes me realise I have it good being a UK citizen by birth.

Though the government etc do often deserve to be criticised, I still think it's good that we aren't under a brutal dictatorship like many people through history have been.

I hadn't ventured that far around the UK till the last few years having always been around the South. I'm currently dividing my time between Reading and Bedfordshire - there is some great countryside around both, and I like exploring it on long bike rides. :)
I'm spoiled by good scenery having grown up in Wales, with the river by the back garden. The mountains of the village also played host to the Resolven/Rhondda stages in the WRC! The noise reverberating between the mountains, the helicopters and being able to look up and see the dust clouds in the distance were spectacular. Kinda took it for granted really.

But I have to say it seems we Brits do tend to moan a bit too much and maybe not realise how good we have it. I'm also concerned about the entitlement culture in general - I feel that is one of the major things that have caused the UK to fall from being a major power to being a little weak maybe. I even feel this attitude pervades the England football team etc. I want to support them but they shouldn't moan if people boo when they do a poor job, and don't seem to have the passion and application of some of their rivals(?)

Garry Walker
28th February 2013, 16:21
Any country that has produced such vermin as harriet harman deserves contempt.

EuroTroll
28th February 2013, 16:36
Any country that has produced such vermin as harriet harman deserves contempt.

There isn't a country in the world that hasn't produced disagreeable politicians.

But why focus on the negative? Britain has also 'produced' Stephen Fry, for example. :up:

Garry Walker
28th February 2013, 16:38
There isn't a country in the world that hasn't produced disagreeable politicians.

But why focus on the negative? Britain has also 'produced' Stephen Fry, for example. :up:

What's so great about him?

henners88
28th February 2013, 16:45
There's nothing particularly negative about Stephen Fry that I can think of. A good writer, comedy actor, and tv host. He does a lot for mental health charities too.

EuroTroll
28th February 2013, 16:47
What's so great about him?

Just about my favourite person in the world. :love: A very clever and entertaining man who's hosted several important and (to me) eye-opening documentaries.

Garry Walker
28th February 2013, 17:07
Just about my favourite person in the world. :love: A very clever and entertaining man who's hosted several important and (to me) eye-opening documentaries.
What documentaries would those be?

EuroTroll
28th February 2013, 17:10
What documentaries would those be?

"The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive" and "HIV and Me".

henners88
28th February 2013, 17:34
His travel series was a good watch too.

Knock-on
28th February 2013, 17:45
Poor Garry. Not still bitter about your NHS gagging fiasco are you :D

Fred Basset
28th February 2013, 18:05
Nice for a visit but I'm ready to head back to the US by the end of it

Garry Walker
28th February 2013, 18:07
Poor Garry. Not still bitter about your NHS gagging fiasco are you :D

:D That made me laugh.

Gregor-y
28th February 2013, 19:57

I'd like to see his travel series in the US. Seeing how someone sees you is always interesting. You may as well toss in Hugh Laurie as well since he's been a pretty successful crossover actor, but not in comedy which I prefer.

On the other hand you lot have also produced the Dangerous Brothers...

EuroTroll
28th February 2013, 20:06
I'd like to see his travel series in the US.

Youtube is your friend. ;)

I enjoy Hugh Laurie's work a lot as well, on a regular basis. :up:

BDunnell
28th February 2013, 20:31

And don't we know it. He's on TV far, far too much for my liking. Spreads himself too thinly, which is a shame, because it used to be a treat to see him.

Robinho
28th February 2013, 23:47
His series 'Last chance to see' was also very good

Sent from the moon using a shoe

Alexamateo
1st March 2013, 02:03
As someone who has recently started following Soccer* in earnest (*football for you folks across the pond). I am almost fascinated by your sense of place, considering yourselves very separate and distinct even though you may be only a few miles away. My mom and dad met at the University of Tennessee, he from Memphis and she from Knoxville (400 miles apart),and both families would consider themselves die-hard supporters of the UT Volunteers in American football. If you went 400 miles from anywhere in England you'd end up in the ocean or Scotland. The sense of place that (I think) is there is broader than just support of a local football team of course, but that support is what is reflected by the culture.

Is that accurate, or have I misread it somehow?

henners88
1st March 2013, 08:16
As someone who has recently started following Soccer* in earnest (*football for you folks across the pond). I am almost fascinated by your sense of place, considering yourselves very separate and distinct even though you may be only a few miles away. My mom and dad met at the University of Tennessee, he from Memphis and she from Knoxville (400 miles apart),and both families would consider themselves die-hard supporters of the UT Volunteers in American football. If you went 400 miles from anywhere in England you'd end up in the ocean or Scotland. The sense of place that (I think) is there is broader than just support of a local football team of course, but that support is what is reflected by the culture.

You are right the UK is a very small place in terms of land mass but cultures differ across very small areas. You only have to travel 20 miles and people have different accents and mentalities. We are quite a densely populated country which makes it difficult for comparison too. I've travelled 400 miles in a day in the States with little problem (Colorado), yet you try travelling 400 miles in the UK. It would take many hours and you'd be lucky not to hit some form of hold up on the roads. Some of your States are bigger than the whole of the UK (not known as England) lol.

Rudy Tamasz
1st March 2013, 12:08
If I may interfere with a thoughtless remark, I grew up on NWBHM and earlier stuff as well. Anybody can decipher what it stands for?

schmenke
1st March 2013, 15:50
You are right the UK is a very small place in terms of land mass but cultures differ across very small areas. You only have to travel 20 miles and people have different accents and mentalities. We are quite a densely populated country which makes it difficult for comparison too. I've travelled 400 miles in a day in the States with little problem (Colorado), yet you try travelling 400 miles in the UK. It would take many hours and you'd be lucky not to hit some form of hold up on the roads. Some of your States are bigger than the whole of the UK (not known as England) lol.

The province of Alberta alone is about 2.5 times greater than the U.K. :mark: . I can drive 400 miles and still be in Alberta :s

steveaki13
1st March 2013, 23:19
I like Stephen Fry too.

He seems like a nice guy, funny, clever and sensible.

Storm
2nd March 2013, 11:56
If I may interfere with a thoughtless remark, I grew up on NWBHM and earlier stuff as well. Anybody can decipher what it stands for?
hell yeah.

Knock-on
2nd March 2013, 12:54
I had to google it to find out that I did along with some NWBSM :p

Rudy Tamasz
4th March 2013, 06:53
hell yeah.

I never questioned your ability as well as your taste, Stormy. :)

steveaki13
4th March 2013, 19:56
I sometimes loath UK TV.

I rarely watch TV on Saturdays as I play Football and do some Garden work.

However I switched on Saturday Night and it was S*** to say the least. Who watches all this stuff?

donKey jote
4th March 2013, 20:35
Who watches all this stuff?

:wave: :andrea: :p

steveaki13
4th March 2013, 21:04
:wave: :andrea: :p

Donkey. I am really disappointed in you. :grenade:

donKey jote
4th March 2013, 21:41
Actually Saturday was crap and I never watched anything.
Sundays is much better :andrea: :D

steveaki13
4th March 2013, 22:06
Actually Saturday was crap and I never watched anything.
Sundays is much better :andrea: :D

Sundays in 2 weeks time will become much more entertaining.

donKey jote
4th March 2013, 22:07
yep, even though Being Human will have finished by then :p :arrows: :uhoh:

Spafranco
4th March 2013, 22:31
Do you know England is not considered a country. Nor is Wales,Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Sprocket
4th March 2013, 23:39

The last time I traveled that far in vaguely one direction starting from the UK, I ended up in Germany. That's a total of four countries, UK, France, Belgium, Germany.

It has it good sides, nearly anywhere in the UK is possible in a day for people who like driving. We did Essex to Wales to visit demontweeks (Just over 400 miles round trip) and got back for tea time. (which is important stuff).

Going to Wales is for me like visiting a different country, so it's kind of cool to have my own strong sense of place. I think many people in the UK have that, either a distinct feeling of belonging to a city or county. Each county and city is distinctly different too, each with its own accents, historic architecture, landscapes etc. Where I live there are practically no hills, it is just well flat, but we have huge skies and a distinct atmosphere. Wales is all hilly with twisty roads and feels completely different. The people also talk funny but we did have a good day out!

I've even jokingly been called a foreigner living in Essex, this is despite growing up in the next county Suffolk. I even lived right next to the border of the two counties but grew up just on the 'other' side!

So I guess as a group we do have a strong sense of place, largely because each place does have very distinct and tangible differences.

Gregor-y
5th March 2013, 18:36
Ever spend much time in the Highlands? I couldn't get over how vacant the place was.

steveaki13
5th March 2013, 19:14
Ever spend much time in the Highlands? I couldn't get over how vacant the place was.

I went to the Highlands in 2005,2007, 2008.

I love it up there. I walked up a mountain one day while there and never before or Since have I been that alone. It was wonderful. You listened out and you could hear nothing except the sight rustle of grass.

There was no car noise, plane noise,animals or people.

I sat up by a small Loch for about 2 hours before trekking back into the village.

One of my favourite moments. Stunning.

Also there are Highland Cows.
http://www.rampantscotland.com/colour/graphics/highland_cows_pollok02205s.jpg

Sprocket
5th March 2013, 20:14
I'm big fan of the highlands too, I love enjoying the simple peace and quiet of it all. I always had a feeling one day I might move that way for good. Born is Suffolk but Scots blood in me on my Dad's side! It's that sense of place again, even in the genes!