PDA

View Full Version : So, who isn't a pay driver?

Koz
13th February 2013, 09:47
Outside the top 5 teams and Toro Rosso, who do we know isn't a pay driver?

Maldonado and Hülkenberg are still bring in substantial $$ for their seats, aren't they?

steveaki13
13th February 2013, 17:01
Everyones a pay driver. You either pay with cash, sponsorship deal, team merchandise or by winning the team something.

dj_bytedisaster
13th February 2013, 17:13
Alonso comes with a hefty dowry from Santander, Hülkenberg brings money from dekra, but I'm sure both still are getting paid by the team as opposed to those who wouldn't have been given the time of day without their millions and pay the team to drive for them.

There are two types of paydrivers. On one side are the ones who attracted sponsorship deals through their achievments, like Grosjean, Alonso, Sutil, Hülkenberg, Schumacher, Koba - and those who come with sponsors to make up for a lack of merit, like Karthikeyan, Petrov, Deletraz, Lavaggi and the likes.

As was said already. In some way or other all of them are pay drivers. They either bring personal sponsors acquired through past success or they bring sponsors to buy the ride.

CNR
13th February 2013, 22:40
Outside the top 5 teams and Toro Rosso, who do we know isn't a pay driver?Maldonado and Hülkenberg are still bring in substantial $$ for their seats, aren't they?
you have companies willing to pay lots $$$$$ to the team if they use that driver.
alonso
Sergio Perez ?
Kimi Raikkonen hard to say they had a lot of new sponsors on the cars last year

Tazio
14th February 2013, 01:22
So in breif what you are basically saying is that Kimi is > Alonso? After all Kimi won a WDC while at Ferrari something Fred is yet to do. :erm: :p : :beer:

52Paddy
14th February 2013, 14:57
It's almost nostalgic to see the amount of newly hired rookies for this season all because they have the finances to support the team.

DexDexter
14th February 2013, 18:08
It's almost nostalgic to see the amount of newly hired rookies for this season all because they have the finances to support the team.

Fortunately they'll run out of money pretty soon and I think you're going to see some experienced drivers back pretty soon.

nigelred5
14th February 2013, 18:32
Fortunately they'll run out of money pretty soon and I think you're going to see some experienced drivers back pretty soon.

.....or a new round of unproven pay drivers.

DexDexter
14th February 2013, 19:00
.....or a new round of unproven pay drivers.

I guess it depends on the economic situation here and there....

steveaki13
14th February 2013, 20:36
I guess it depends on the economic situation here and there....

I think the economic situation will be bad here, but even worse there. :D

Seriously though, I am willing to give these guys a chance, but it is worrying for the future of F1 if so many teams are struggling.

52Paddy
16th February 2013, 15:13
but it is worrying for the future of F1 if so many teams are struggling.

Or is it? I mean teams outside the top 4 or 5 have regularly been struggling. Just look to the 1980s and 1990s as I hinted earlier. In the 90s, if you weren't Benetton, Williams, Ferrari or McLaren, you really had to work hard to build a graft in the sport. Sauber, Jordan, Tyrrell and other midfield teams never had it completely rosy through their careers but the sport continued on.

steveaki13
16th February 2013, 18:46
Or is it? I mean teams outside the top 4 or 5 have regularly been struggling. Just look to the 1980s and 1990s as I hinted earlier. In the 90s, if you weren't Benetton, Williams, Ferrari or McLaren, you really had to work hard to build a graft in the sport. Sauber, Jordan, Tyrrell and other midfield teams never had it completely rosy through their careers but the sport continued on.

But in the past as teams left, more teams came in. Is this still going to be the case in years to come. The currant new teams have struggled and not many new ones look likely to enter. Where does F1 go. 3 car teams or take some action to help the smaller teams into F1.

52Paddy
18th February 2013, 00:43
But in the past as teams left, more teams came in. Is this still going to be the case in years to come. The currant new teams have struggled and not many new ones look likely to enter. Where does F1 go. 3 car teams or take some action to help the smaller teams into F1.

I did consider this problem. I'd imagine F1 would have to come up with some incentive to draw new teams in if worst came to worst. The 40m cost-cap idea did attract three new teams in the space of one year, which is great so I'm sure they've plans like this in store. Hopefully the flood gates will open for teams with a serious approach and not Stefan F1-type dreamers, if the FIA take action. I just can't believe that they would do nothing and run with thin grids until the economy picks up...even if it is the FIA!

nigelred5
19th February 2013, 20:00
There is certainly an easy way to cut travel expenses and renew/rejuvinate European interest.... China, Korea, Sepang, Bahrain, meet the executioner.

22nd February 2013, 10:51
I dont think theres ever been a better female driver than Michelle Mouton, and I think the way media jump on the female driver band wagon just ramps up everybodies expecations of a driver that usually isnt that good.

52Paddy
22nd February 2013, 14:03
I dont think theres ever been a better female driver than Michelle Mouton, and I think the way media jump on the female driver band wagon just ramps up everybodies expecations of a driver that usually isnt that good.

You'll have to excuse me here for sounding condescending, but how is that related to this topic?

Knock-on
22nd February 2013, 18:47
I can't see how many posts someone has made on a mobile device but is it single figures??

( ahh, just clicked on the profile. 6 )

steveaki13
22nd February 2013, 19:33
I can't see how many posts someone has made on a mobile device but is it single figures??

( ahh, just clicked on the profile. 6 )

What are you implying? ;) That our friend is a Bot that Spams. :r2d2:

Mark
22nd February 2013, 20:25
Not a bot...

CNR
28th February 2013, 03:42
F1 Drivers Paid Or Pay (http://www.sport.co.uk/motorsport/f1-drivers-paid-or-pay/3773943/)
reported £45 million Pastor Maldonado bought to Williams last year

teamleader
3rd March 2013, 17:02
These days everyone is a PAY driver, because every team needs the money.
But its kinda suspisious when a unknown driver make it to the formula 1 isnt it :)

driveace
5th March 2013, 18:13
I hear that Maldonardo,s money deal is only for 3 years from a fuel company