PDA

View Full Version : Karthikeyan to Force India?

Koz
13th February 2013, 09:42
Karthikeyan in Force India link | F1 News | Feb 2013 | Crash.Net (http://www.crash.net/f1/news/187954/1/karthikeyan_in_force_india_link.html)

I really hope this isn't the case. We have too many talentless drivers as it is, I don't want to see another seat sold.

Mr Mallya can't be that desperate, can he?

steveaki13
13th February 2013, 16:57
This would be shocking and a shame if this was the case. As much as I think Narain is given some unfair stick, I do believe there are others who warrant this seat.

At 36 he is not a long term prospect, however if it does happen then so be it.

dj_bytedisaster
13th February 2013, 17:00
He's never shown anything but very modest talent in F1 and certainly not enough to give him a seat for anything but purely financial reasons.

truefan72
13th February 2013, 17:32
yeah it would be a shame if he gets it over many other solid candidates, but on the other hand...
1. Karthikeyan is actually a half decent driver who has shown so in other series
2. it makes sense for Force "India"
3. If he brings in extra cash that won't hurt. Although Mallya is rich, doesn't mean he wants to spend all his money
4. He does have a solid F1 experience
5. Just might be interesting to see how he does in a midfield team. He may surprise everyone and finish in the points, and prove that usually, a good car makes a driver look that much better, and a bad car that much worse
6. Money again, perhaps Bianchi's ties to ferrari are not to their liking and Karthikeyan's asking price is reasonable and both a short term solution.
7. Would like to give DiResta a clear cut #1 status and an opportunity to lead the team.

I'm nearly not that offended if this comes to bare. But it would be a shame if some others ( most notably Sutil, Kobayashi or Petrov) miss out on a seat. I'm not that high on Kovaleinen anyway, and he has had his turn with excellent machinery and a half decent renault, and failed to impress.

pino
13th February 2013, 17:43
I say...bring back Jarno then :p :

Eunos
13th February 2013, 18:14
I suppose in a way it would make sence for a team called Force INDIA to have an INDIAN driver in the team, especially for the INDIAN GP.

His not my first choice but it would be a chance for him to redeem himself.

Ofcourse he would also have already driven for the team before back when they were Jordan :)

zako85
13th February 2013, 18:29
Ridiculous if true. After seeing a galore of pay drivers confirmed at the time when arguably better, more experienced drivers are available, this will be another disappointment. Why not give a seat to Kobayashi, Petrov, Kovalainen, or Sutil?

keysersoze
13th February 2013, 18:56
Why not give a seat to Kobayashi, Petrov, Kovalainen, or Sutil?

It's a business first and foremost. If Ferrari needed an infusion of cash to keep the doors open, and Yuje Ide brought $20 million, Fernando would be shown the door.

Nikki Katz
13th February 2013, 19:02
Karthikeyan's a really underrated driver who has received way too much flack for his return to F1 - he was generally outperformed by Luizzi and de la Rosa, but not to an embarrassing extent. He also beat Ricciardo in that one race that they had together. But he was still probably the worst driver on last year's grid, and linking him with a jump to a solid midfield team that almost took a win last year is completely unjustified and suggests that Force India is in much worse financial state than they are letting on.

rjbetty
13th February 2013, 19:20
I say...bring back Jarno then :p :

What about Fisi? :)

pino
13th February 2013, 19:28
What about Fisi? :)

Jarno is much much faster ;)

rjbetty
13th February 2013, 19:30
I like Karthikeyan, but others deserve that drive more. He would definitely score points, but not that many...

It would have a bit of an Inoue/Footwork 95 feel to it for me, though nowhere near as bad.

As for teams taking on pay drivers, it's not ideal, but the situation dictates this is how it's gotta be. That article on f1rejects about Arrows and Tom Walkinshaw living dangerously was very eye-opening. I particularly remember Jackie Oliver (Arrows boss for years) saying how important it is first and foremost to simply survive, THEN worry about being competitive - in THAT order. I totally agree.

I think it's very short-sighted of people to say they aren't "racers" by taking pay drivers, but if pay drivers weren't taken the team would close down! Arrows tried to go down the "racer" route by hiring Frentzen and securing Cosworth engines for 2002. The team enjoyed competitive performances, and I believe that with money and development, that car would have been the 4th best out there. But the engine price tag was extortionate, and Frentzen sued - the team promptly went bust.

I'd rather Marussia choose Chilton and Razia anyday if that's what it takes to keep the team on the grid. I think Jackie Oliver was very wise knowing when to "attack" and when you just need to survive and simply remain.

rjbetty
13th February 2013, 19:31
Jarno is much much faster ;)

Has he bribed you with wine to say that? ;)

Alas I think that is correct (maybe take out one of the "much"s though) ;)

steveaki13
13th February 2013, 19:32
I think he gets to much flack.

In an HRT it was hard to prove much really.

Remember his time at Jordan (same team of course), he did a solid job and wasn't way behind Thiago Monteiro.

And of course was an amazing 4th in the USA GP 2005. :s mokin: Thats not bad is it. :dozey:

steveaki13
13th February 2013, 19:39
I like Karthikeyan, but others deserve that drive more. He would definitely score points, but not that many...

It would have a bit of an Inoue/Footwork 95 feel to it for me, though nowhere near as bad.

As for teams taking on pay drivers, it's not ideal, but the situation dictates this is how it's gotta be. That article on f1rejects about Arrows and Tom Walkinshaw living dangerously was very eye-opening. I particularly remember Jackie Oliver (Arrows boss for years) saying how important it is first and foremost to simply survive, THEN worry about being competitive - in THAT order. I totally agree.

I think it's very short-sighted of people to say they aren't "racers" by taking pay drivers, but if pay drivers weren't taken the team would close down! Arrows tried to go down the "racer" route by hiring Frentzen and securing Cosworth engines for 2002. The team enjoyed competitive performances, and I believe that with money and development, that car would have been the 4th best out there. But the engine price tag was extortionate, and Frentzen sued - the team promptly went bust.

I'd rather Marussia choose Chilton and Razia anyday if that's what it takes to keep the team on the grid. I think Jackie Oliver was very wise knowing when to "attack" and when you just need to survive and simply remain.

You know it. Its more important for me to have teams on the grid. 13+ ideally and thentop 26 qualify. Anyway off topic but its much better to have some good drivers further down and more teams than 5 or 6 teams and only the worlds best.

F1 has always had 2 tiers. One of World Class F1 drivers and tier 2 of adequate racers keeping the soul of F1 alive.

For me it is not a big issue.

rjbetty
13th February 2013, 19:44
I think he gets to much flack.

In an HRT it was hard to prove much really.

Remember his time at Jordan (same team of course), he did a solid job and wasn't way behind Thiago Monteiro.

And of course was an amazing 4th in the USA GP 2005. :s mokin: Thats not bad is it. :dozey:

Yeah it's easy to forget that Narain has scored points in F1! He is good in wet which isn't a mark of a talentless driver. He was 2.5sec faster than Monteiro in damp Melbourne qualifying in 2005, on equal terms.

ArrowsFA1
13th February 2013, 20:13
Yeah it's easy to forget that Narain has scored points in F1!
All 5 of them coming in the 2005 US GP :dozey:

steveaki13
13th February 2013, 20:39
All 5 of them coming in the 2005 US GP :dozey:

He weaved his way through the carnage brilliantly. :D

In all seriousness though, taking away that. He did OK in 2005 in a poor Jordan/Midland

N. Jones
14th February 2013, 01:59
Karthikeyan in Force India link | F1 News | Feb 2013 | Crash.Net (http://www.crash.net/f1/news/187954/1/karthikeyan_in_force_india_link.html)

I really hope this isn't the case. We have too many talentless drivers as it is, I don't want to see another seat sold.

Mr Mallya can't be that desperate, can he?
I surely hope not.

If he gets a seat then that would be a huge slap in the face to Kamui Kobayashi.

truefan72
14th February 2013, 03:11
I surely hope not.

If he gets a seat then that would be a huge slap in the face to Kamui Kobayashi.

...and he would be my instant second driver allowing me to finally spend the money on a top driver in FGP!

52Paddy
14th February 2013, 14:55
I hope the seat goes to someone more deserving, namely Sutil, Kobayashi, Kovalainen or Petrov. I would even rather Bianchi or Rossiter got a shot in the seat to prove their worth. But, if Karthikeyan is hired then I'll give him the chance to prove himself before I slander him for lack of raw talent.

52Paddy
14th February 2013, 14:55
And let me add that, if Force India are going through genuine financial woes (which i can't understand given Mallya's supposedly healthy bank account) then I understand why Karthikeyan makes sense, in light of the team and the GP.

52Paddy
14th February 2013, 15:40
Indian Grand Prix - Sutil has seat fitting with Force India - Yahoo! Eurosport UK (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/indian-grand-prix-sutil-seat-fitting-force-india-142102633.html)

:)

Tazio
14th February 2013, 16:03
:s tareup: Great to see Slash back in the mix :up:

steveaki13
14th February 2013, 16:59
:s tareup: Great to see Slash back in the mix :up:

Karthikeyan might feel stabbed in the back.

Tazio
14th February 2013, 17:56
I'm pretty sure Slash would be stabbing him from in front. ;)

rjbetty
14th February 2013, 18:48
Indian Grand Prix - Sutil has seat fitting with Force India - Yahoo! Eurosport UK (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/indian-grand-prix-sutil-seat-fitting-force-india-142102633.html)

:)

Well that is great news! I wouldn't begrudge Adrian a return at all. I just HOPE his performance won't have suffered much after all that time out (I fear it will...).

I'm still guessing it's most likely Bianchi, but I've been wrong before. ;)

DexDexter
14th February 2013, 19:01
Well that is great news! I wouldn't begrudge Adrian a return at all. I just HOPE his performance won't have suffered much after all that time out (I fear it will...).

I'm still guessing it's most likely Bianchi, but I've been wrong before. ;)

I don't care who gets the drive as long as he is a driver with a decent pedigree, we don't need more of these chiltons in F1.

gloomyDAY
14th February 2013, 19:25
Mallya's airline, King Fisher, is about to implode. My guess is that it's time to suck money out of the drivers for at least 1 more season before the team folds. I just don't think Force India will be around for 2014 because there isn't any money for the team. It will surely have to be sold!

henners88
14th February 2013, 19:31
I don't care who gets the drive as long as he is a driver with a decent pedigree, we don't need more of these chiltons in F1.
I'll reserve judgement on Max until I've seen him race in an F1 car for a reasonable period. I feel its fair to criticise a driver before he's even had a race.

DexDexter
14th February 2013, 19:57
I'll reserve judgement on Max until I've seen him race in an F1 car for a reasonable period. I feel its fair to criticise a driver before he's even had a race.

I'm sure you mean unfair, right? :)

steveaki13
14th February 2013, 20:33

Your way too harsh Henners, always jumping in and judging people after 1 race. Havent you got any compassion. ;)

15th February 2013, 05:32
Is Force India more aligned with McLaren or Mercedes? I know McLaren has some of its juniour engineers over there, but DiResta has the whole DTM/Mercedes thing. And its still a Mercedes engine... Thoughts? Solid answers?

henners88
15th February 2013, 08:16
I'll reserve judgement on Max until I've seen him race in an F1 car for a reasonable period. I feel its unfair to criticise a driver before he's even had a race.
Indeed I do.
Should have bought the best most unbelievable phone in the world to type on.

N. Jones
16th February 2013, 13:45
I wonder if Mallya is going to have to bring in a pay driver due to his airline being in trouble.

52Paddy
16th February 2013, 15:09
It's all a bit erratic. We know his airline is struggling and the team aren't in a rosy position either. There is so much commotion surrounding this 2nd seat it'll be interesting to see who they eventually go for. I'm expecting a pay-driver, but maybe the engineers think they've built a cracker and an experienced driver looks more sensible.

Tazio
16th February 2013, 16:13
Mallya's airline, King Fisher, is about to implode. My guess is that it's time to suck money out of the drivers for at least 1 more season before the team folds. I just don't think Force India will be around for 2014 because there isn't any money for the team. It will surely have to be sold!It's my understanding that although Mallya has lost $1.5bn to date with Kingfisher, he is expected to recoup funds from the $2bn sale of a majority stake in India’s United Spirits but the deal must still clear regulatory hurdles. That should keep Force India floating for a season or two, no?

Koz
17th February 2013, 23:12
It's my understanding that although Mallya has lost $1.5bn to date with Kingfisher, he is expected to recoup funds from the $2bn sale of a majority stake in India’s United Spirits but the deal must still clear regulatory hurdles. That should keep Force India floating for a season or two, no?

VM will receive a lot of help if the elections go the way of BJP (which seems very likely).
It's just a matter of whether he can hold on till then, or rather how much he can hold onto.

22nd February 2013, 10:12
Is Force India more aligned with McLaren or Mercedes? I know McLaren has some of its juniour engineers over there, but DiResta has the whole DTM/Mercedes thing. And its still a Mercedes engine... Thoughts? Solid answers?

rjbetty
24th February 2013, 01:24

Hmmm while the content of this post is actually moderately relevant, the spelling is better than many of the human members on the forum (including myself), and it actually makes some decent sense, the fact that this post is identical to one above is kinda... suspicious.

Tazio
24th February 2013, 02:52
Is Force India more aligned with McLaren or Mercedes? I know McLaren has some of its juniour engineers over there, but DiResta has the whole DTM/Mercedes thing. And its still a Mercedes engine... Thoughts? Solid answers? IMHO "Mercedes the brand." does not even possess a Williams, Lotus, Sauber, or Renult lineage, but that didn't stop RB :dozey:

steveaki13
24th February 2013, 09:05
Hmmm while the content of this post is actually moderately relevant, the spelling is better than many of the human members on the forum (including myself), and it actually makes some decent sense, the fact that this post is identical to one above is kinda... suspicious.

At least its not about buying a suit as the one on the other threads.

Tazio
24th February 2013, 14:06
IMHO "Mercedes the brand." does not even possess a Williams, Lotus, Sauber, or Renult lineage, but that didn't stop RB :dozey: PUI please disregard. :o

steveaki13
24th February 2013, 14:58
PUI please disregard. :o

Well he is getting pretty boring, just posting rubbish about nothing and then occasionally he will post something mildly relevent to the topic, but that is not really of any interest. :(

Also spensonlizid is getting tiresome as well. ;)

rjbetty
25th February 2013, 02:46
Lovely brown leather suitcase for sale. Beans and brown sauce go well for tea, but I find it's safer when the window is closed.

I'm just kidding - DON'T DELETE ME!!!

EuroTroll
25th February 2013, 04:26
Well he is getting pretty boring, just posting rubbish about nothing and then occasionally he will post something mildly relevent to the topic, but that is not really of any interest. :(

Also spensonlizid is getting tiresome as well. ;)

I guess these guys just post random stuff until they get to 15 posts, at which time they can finally post their link!

Now, what will it be? I await with eager anticipation. :p

Car parts?
Tailoring service in the Birmingham area?
Hair dressers?
Penis enlargement?