PDA

View Full Version : ESPN to show IndyCar in the UK

GRW1983
8th February 2013, 18:59
Sky Sports have confirmed that they will not show IndyCar in 2013. ESPN have secured the rights instead. However, it is not yet clear if they will show it on ESPN or ESPN America. I hope ESPN, otherwise the ratings will probably be worse than Sky Sports and hardly anyone will be watching. More to come on this one I reckon.

BDunnell
8th February 2013, 19:27
ESPN are expected to withdraw from the UK market now they've lost all the football rights they brought up, so I would expect it would be on their American channel.

Disney 'exploring exit' for ESPN UK - Media news - Media Week (http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/News/MostEmailed/1169977/Disney-looks-exit-ESPN-UK/)

Mark
8th February 2013, 20:55
So; no IndyCar UK coverage I guess.

But more importantly Sky wins the fight Setanta started many years ago.

MAX_THRUST
8th February 2013, 22:07
If ESPN gets it it will be great. I have that for free. If it goes to ESPN America then thats not so great. Please be ESPN. Has Sky still got the Indy 500 though????

GRW1983
9th February 2013, 08:08
No it won't. Sky has lost the rights and ESPN will show the races instead. It's just a question of ESPN or ESPN America showing them.

Nikki Katz
9th February 2013, 12:39
Great. How much extra am I going to have to pay for this? Is there any other way of viewing it?

djparky
9th February 2013, 13:22
just seen the same news elsewhere- oh well I guess I won't be watching IndyCar this year then- I pay extra for Premier to get live NASCAR- which I'm ok with as the races are pretty much every weekend- and this year they're showing live/tape delayed Trucks as well- ESPN can't be bothered to show DTM live- and that lasts an hour so I don't see them doing IndyCar any favours either- if it clashes with any other bigger US sports

That said Sky Sports IndyCar ratings last year were awful- in some cases less than GP2 qualifying was getting on the F1 channel- but I don't see them going the other way on ESPN either

AndyRAC
9th February 2013, 14:19
I'm not sure this is great. It's an additional cost to view ESPN. When they had the WRC, they were getting 4 figures for the programmes. And how reliable will their coverage be?
The DTM coverage went downhill when the football season started; and the races were shown delayed 6-7 hours later. Not good enough.
My problem with ESPN has been having too many rights, and not enough airtime to show them.

djparky
10th February 2013, 16:05
"ESPN have today confirmed to me that they do indeed have the rights to screen every race live. However, and I quote “this depends on the programming scheduled for each day. If the race clashes with a higher profile event then the race will not be shown live but on delay.”"

latest from ESPN...you can put money on this being bounced for higher profile sports

Nikki Katz
10th February 2013, 16:19
I don't really have a huge problem with it being shown delayed, so long as it is shown. Also, it depends on what their definition of higher profile sports is. Eurosport once bumped ChampCar for dog racing; they also bumped GP2 for the Bournemouth womens' beach volleyball championships.

I don't really understand Sky's IndyCar coverage last year. They have their own motorsports channel now, SkyF1, with nothing to air but repeats the majority of the time. I know that F1 will always always take priority over IndyCar, and that's the correct position, but instead of broadcasting the repeat of last weekend's race for the 5th time, couldn't they show the live IndyCar race? I guess there's probably more going on behind the scenes, and possibly it would be a little distasteful to start plugging IndyCar from the very next race after Wheldon's death. But it just seems like if they wanted more viewers then they could have had them. I think that the low rating for Milwaukee was something to do with it being on Sky4 at 1 AM - I vaguely remember being one of the 4,000 people watching this along with my friend, quite drunk, and ending up having to tape the end and go to bed. Not sure if I'd be counted as a viewer that way.

Before I blow my money on an ESPN subscription, I don't suppose it's possible to get any sort of confirmation from them that all the races will be broadcast in full? Any idea who to ask?

tommy2k8
11th February 2013, 11:08
I really really hope IndyCar is on ESPN UK. If it is, great, if not, not great - especially if ESPN UK folds.
Better than Sky, because, as I have only got Sky Sports 1 and 2, I had to ask my friend to record most of the races! Who can I ask about whether it is on UK or America?

AndyRAC
11th February 2013, 19:40
"ESPN have today confirmed to me that they do indeed have the rights to screen every race live. However, and I quote “this depends on the programming scheduled for each day. If the race clashes with a higher profile event then the race will not be shown live but on delay.”"

latest from ESPN...you can put money on this being bounced for higher profile sports

What a surprise. As far as I'm concerned, if they have the rights, they should show them live. Delayed coverage just isn't on. What they mean is, " If Indycar clashes with a football match, then tough, watch it later".
Stop bidding for events if you can't show them live. When will they learn?

tommy2k8
12th February 2013, 09:17
What a surprise. As far as I'm concerned, if they have the rights, they should show them live. Delayed coverage just isn't on. What they mean is, " If Indycar clashes with a football match, then tough, watch it later".
Stop bidding for events if you can't show them live. When will they learn?

True, I hadn't thought of that!

Bruce D
12th February 2013, 12:07
Yeah we had this problem with ESPN Asia in South Africa, from 2009 they got Nascar rights and that's all we see besides the Indy 500 live and the odd race like Milwaukee delayed to sometime during the week when I'm at work. :( In total I think we see about 3 races in a year.

steveaki13
13th February 2013, 20:53
I too dont see why they didnt just show Indy Car of Sky F1.

As it is ESPN UK is losing Football is that right? so they are thinking of closing it?

Have I got this right. If so then I assume it is on ESPN Amerrica which is a seperate channel. Still it would be a strange place to put the UK coverage.

BDunnell
13th February 2013, 21:05
As it is ESPN UK is losing Football is that right? so they are thinking of closing it?

That's what the link I posted (to say nothing of other reports) suggests.

tommy2k8
14th February 2013, 16:56
I got this today from ESPN when I asked about whether IndyCar will be on ESPN UK or ESPN America:

Thank you for contacting ESPN. We are always happy to hear from our fans and subscribers.
The IndyCar Series will be live on ESPN. ESPN and ESPN America both have highlights for NASCAR.

Good news!!

MAX_THRUST
16th February 2013, 11:03
That sounds promising, but I do tend to be a little sceptical about such things, having had years of disappointment with CART coverage. NASCAR and Indy highlights would acftually suit me fine. I would be happy to see a good 1 hour highlight show, I'd rather have all races live though. Fingers crossed.

tommy2k8
18th February 2013, 09:00
I hope their coverage of IndyCar is a bit better. Ever since the arrival of F1 on Sky, IndyCar has taken a back seat and has been jumping from channel to channel! Disappointing!

Odie Stracs
18th February 2013, 15:14
I think Sky did a good job, ok, they channel hopped from week to week quite a bit but if i remember all the races were shown live and the anc the studio guests were spot on most of the time. The fateful wekend of Dan Wheldons passing was probably the most professional yet heart wrenching perfomance i have ever seen from any presenters live. I doubt ESPN will have UK presenters or studio, but will use the US feed in its entirity.

Bring back Ben Edwards and Jeremy Shaw i say!!!!

tommy2k8
18th February 2013, 15:41
I think Sky did a good job, ok, they channel hopped from week to week quite a bit but if i remember all the races were shown live and the anc the studio guests were spot on most of the time. The fateful wekend of Dan Wheldons passing was probably the most professional yet heart wrenching perfomance i have ever seen from any presenters live. I doubt ESPN will have UK presenters or studio, but will use the US feed in its entirity.

If thats the case, I hope they don't have as many ads as the US!

tommy2k8
18th February 2013, 15:43

Is there any footage on the web of IndyCar presenters in the studio when that race was aired?

acescribe
19th February 2013, 16:18

That wont happen !

Anubis
20th February 2013, 22:49
Shame about Sky losing it. They moved it around too much, but it was clear that the studio team were into what they were talking about. Keith Huewen deserved a medal for how he handled Dan Wheldon's death.

GRW1983
26th February 2013, 11:47
Just been announced that BT Sport has bought ESPN & ESPN America, so not sure how this will affect the UK IndyCar coverage this season.

AndyRAC
26th February 2013, 15:49
Strange business at ESPN UK, they lost the English Premier League rights, so have decided to sell up. What about all the other sports rights they have/ had??

Will they all be transferred to BT?

Wasted Talent
26th February 2013, 16:05
Will they all be transferred to BT?

Today's paper says so.

NASCAR was specifically mentioned (even though it is on Motors TV ???)

WT

djparky
26th February 2013, 20:00
Today's paper says so.

NASCAR was specifically mentioned (even though it is on Motors TV ???)

WT

they're showing highlights of NASCAR. Premier have got live Sprint Cup 2013/2014 plus TRuck races highlights/ 5 live races

Nikki Katz
26th February 2013, 23:14
But they'll still show IndyCar? Not that I really follow or like Nascar, but I was a little surprised at the lack of coverage this weekend. Motors TV showed Nationwide on constant loop (the crash also ended up on the BBC), but Sprint Cup coverage seemed to be an hour's highlights on ESPN in the middle of the night.

Alfa Fan
27th February 2013, 15:03
Sprint Cup was on Premier Sports (Sky 428) like it has been for the last two years and will be for at least the next two. (2011-2014)

djparky
27th February 2013, 21:25
But they'll still show IndyCar? Not that I really follow or like Nascar, but I was a little surprised at the lack of coverage this weekend. Motors TV showed Nationwide on constant loop (the crash also ended up on the BBC), but Sprint Cup coverage seemed to be an hour's highlights on ESPN in the middle of the night.

ESPN have the rights to show it- I suspect it will be scheduled around the football until June and then again from mid August onwards and anything else in between that is more high profile (which is probably everything)- wouldn't expect much live race coverage from them

NASCAR doesn't blip on the general media here in the UK except with something like the Nationwide crash or Princess SParklepony getting pole for the 500

Quiddelbach
12th March 2013, 11:20
Response to my enquiry from ESPN:-
Thank you for contacting ESPN. We are always happy to hear from our fans and subscribers.

We will be showing live and as-live coverage from the IndyCar throughout the season which means that it will be shceduled in and around the football season. Our next event will be on Sunday 24th March for Streets Of St. Petersburg.

Kind regards,
ESPN

It's better than nothing I suppose, but as a die hard petrol head it always leaves a bitter taste knowing it comes off second best to football which I cant stand.

Sky may have channel hopped with Indycar but in the main it was always live.

For me it's not easy to avoid hearing the race results if coverage is delayed 24hrs, working away from home overseas during the week doesnt help me much either.

car20
19th March 2013, 13:36
Response to my enquiry from ESPN:-

We will be showing live and as-live coverage from the IndyCar throughout the season which means that it will be shceduled in and around the football season. Our next event will be on Sunday 24th March for Streets Of St. Petersburg.

Kind regards,
ESPN

It's better than nothing I suppose, but as a die hard petrol head it always leaves a bitter taste knowing it comes off second best to football which I cant stand.

Sky may have channel hopped with Indycar but in the main it was always live.

For me it's not easy to avoid hearing the race results if coverage is delayed 24hrs, working away from home overseas during the week doesnt help me much either.

ESPN UK have listing st pete live....round 2 at barber 0130 april 8 and round 3 long beach live at 9.45pm

Nikki Katz
19th March 2013, 19:54
Right, subscribed. Goodbye bank balance...

GRW1983
19th March 2013, 21:51
ESPN UK have listing st pete live....round 2 at barber 0130 april 8 and round 3 long beach live at 9.45pmIt seems that ESPN UK will be showing St.Pete live from 16.15PM with the race starting around 1700-1715PM, so around 45-60mins of pre-race chat before the race. Barber isn't live, but hopefully the WHOLE race will still be shown, even if it's around 0130AM on the Monday morning, and good news that Long Beach will be live as well. I'd prefer all races live, but I'll be happy if they, at least, show all of the races in full whether they are live or recorded.

GRW1983
20th March 2013, 21:35
It seems that ESPN UK will be showing St.Pete live from 16.15PM with the race starting around 1700-1715PM, so around 45-60mins of pre-race chat before the race. Barber isn't live, but hopefully the WHOLE race will still be shown, even if it's around 0130AM on the Monday morning, and good news that Long Beach will be live as well. I'd prefer all races live, but I'll be happy if they, at least, show all of the races in full whether they are live or recorded. It seems St.Pete will be off at 11.40AM local time, so that should be around 4.40PM in the UK, so not around 5.00-5.15ish as I said before.

28th March 2013, 10:29
That said Sky Activities IndyCar scores last season were awful- in some situations less than GP2 determining was getting on the F1 channel- but I don't see them going the other way on neither on ESPN nor on any of the other channel. . . . . . .

tommy2k8
28th March 2013, 12:17
I think IndyCar will get more popular if it gets snapped up by a channel like ITV4.

djparky
28th March 2013, 16:34
That said Sky Activities IndyCar scores last season were awful- in some situations less than GP2 determining was getting on the F1 channel- but I don't see them going the other way on neither on ESPN nor on any of the other channel. . . . . . .

they will only go down- I'm not paying an extra £10 a month for IndyCar- I already pay for Premier Sports- but NASCAR is on every weekend pretty much until November, so I don't mind that as much (and they're showing the trucks this year as well). APparently last Sunday was a one off where there was no domestic football to show

although it had its flaws (part of the CART TV ritual was me shouting abuse at the TV about Eurosports incompetence) dear old Eurosport was the best option for IndyCar across Europe- nowadays with 2 channels even they might be able to schedule it properly. But the brain trust at Indy don't seem to look beyond they're own back yard and I'm not sure E=-sport would really be bothered about it now either

big_sw2000
28th March 2013, 16:38
Dose this mean that the Indy 500 is on ESPN as well. If so there will be 1 less viewer this year. Pitty really as its one of the races along with Bathurst, and Le Mans I look forward to watching each year.

car20
2nd April 2013, 14:32
Indycar is going to get bumped around no matter what and whoever gets it...I am just glad its on t.v if i have to pay to see it on espn then so be it...st pete was much better with the live feed from th u.s with the u.s team....hated sky sports set they all looked like they didnt know who was suppose to be saying what and when....

pro's its on tv in 1st place and not having to stream some crappy internet stream..

motors tv don't know what they are wanting to put on from month to month never mind year to year....eurosport drive me mad..so far this year was recording auto gp from monza which went off altogether and then was recording wtcc only to get the race 5 laps in ....sky had indycar from channel 1.2.3.4 and f1 and red button ...at least on espn won't get lost?

Bullmuck
5th April 2013, 00:52
There is another option - get on YouTube. Some kind people from the states always upload the full race minus the adverts - been watching it this way for years

mikiec
6th April 2013, 18:27
Anyone know which European channels show Indycar live, in particular the Barber race?

mikiec
7th April 2013, 20:53
It's on Sky (Italia) Sport 2 HD with English audio if anyone's interested :)

MAX_THRUST
9th April 2013, 18:23
Have to say ESPN might not be showing races live but they are doing a good job. I am able to watch races from start to finnish without crappy internet images. I am loving the series this year and grateful ESPN is free with BTVision. and I get NASCAR highlight show too.

Nikki Katz
9th April 2013, 19:13
Have to say ESPN might not be showing races live but they are doing a good job. I am able to watch races from start to finnish without crappy internet images. I am loving the series this year and grateful ESPN is free with BTVision. and I get NASCAR highlight show too.
I agree, I've been pleasantly surprised by the coverage so far. Possibly this has to do in part with the US feed that they're getting being done better than previously though. The US presenters are still able to speak their minds less than the Sky UK pundits, but the quality of that was a little hit and miss depending on who they had in the studio.

13th April 2013, 05:14

"Surfers Rent A Car
Cheap Car Hire & Car Rentals in Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast | Surfers Rent A Car (http://www.surfersrentacar.com.au/)
2/11 Northview Street Mermaid Waters Gold Coast QLD 4218
Phone: (07) 5572 0600"
surfers paradise car rentals (http://surfersrentacar.com.au/)

tommy2k8
7th May 2013, 08:59
I agree, I've been pleasantly surprised by the coverage so far. Possibly this has to do in part with the US feed that they're getting being done better than previously though. The US presenters are still able to speak their minds less than the Sky UK pundits, but the quality of that was a little hit and miss depending on who they had in the studio.

The one thing that really annoys me is the adverts! Because Sky had pundits in the London studio, they cut back when ads came on in the US, but ESPN don't do that!

Also, in the Indy 500 going to be shown live?

tommy2k8
23rd May 2013, 08:41
Indy 500 ESPN Sunday 4pm

MAX_THRUST
23rd May 2013, 21:48
Cant wait

tommy2k8
17th June 2013, 10:23
When ESPN wraps up in it's current form, is there any way I can watch IndyCar?

djparky
18th June 2013, 19:44
When ESPN wraps up in it's current form, is there any way I can watch IndyCar?

you tube or on-line streaming if you can get it to work

Nikki Katz
18th June 2013, 23:50
https://twitter.com/markcoyle65/status/332502869133623296

Hopefully it'll just switch to the new channel. I don't mind them not broadcasting it live as it means they can cut out the excessive US adverts as we don't go "side by side" here, though having in studio pundits like Sky did would be a bit better. Just hope that they broadcast the whole thing (or near to it) and not a half hour highlights show followed by the always ridiculous podium celebrations.

steveaki13
23rd June 2013, 22:56
Is it switching to BT Sport in the UK? Havent heard anything, but they are taking lots of ESPN content and have 2 channels.

tommy2k8
25th June 2013, 17:16
That's the only thing wrong with IndyCar - the number of adverts they have! It's even worse than when F1 was on ITV! I agree with Nikki - why can't they have a team in the UK for when the US people cut to ads? I bet they wouldn't even think of cutting to ads in the middle of a football match!

tommy2k8
25th June 2013, 17:17
https://twitter.com/markcoyle65/status/332502869133623296

Hopefully it'll just switch to the new channel. I don't mind them not broadcasting it live as it means they can cut out the excessive US adverts as we don't go "side by side" here, though having in studio pundits like Sky did would be a bit better. Just hope that they broadcast the whole thing (or near to it) and not a half hour highlights show followed by the always ridiculous podium celebrations.

How long is ESPN's IndyCar contract? Do you know?

Starter
25th June 2013, 21:00
How long is ESPN's IndyCar contract? Do you know?
I could be wrong, but I think it runs concurrent with the NBCSports (Versus) contract and they have at least five years to go..

tommy2k8
3rd July 2013, 18:16
ESPN need a team in the UK like Sky did. Adverts ruin the race a bit. If BT Sport consider bringing a UK team in to do what Sky did, I'd consider getting BT!

tommy2k8
24th July 2013, 17:23
I don't know if any of you can tell me this, but will ESPN / BT Sport have live IndyCar next year as well?

GRW1983
29th July 2013, 20:42
I don't know if any of you can tell me this, but will ESPN / BT Sport have live IndyCar next year as well?Not too sure on this one. I've been watching on ESPN via Top-Up TV, but that ends 31st July, so I'll have to rely on Youtube for the rest of the season as I haven't made my mind up about BT Sport. I think (and I stress think!!!) that BT Sport will show IndyCar in 2014, but they will do it on ESPN as BT Sport now owns ESPN. If they don't, then I'm sure IndyCar will find a new home somewhere else.

tommy2k8
30th July 2013, 08:48
Not too sure on this one. I've been watching on ESPN via Top-Up TV, but that ends 31st July, so I'll have to rely on Youtube for the rest of the season as I haven't made my mind up about BT Sport. I think (and I stress think!!!) that BT Sport will show IndyCar in 2014, but they will do it on ESPN as BT Sport now owns ESPN. If they don't, then I'm sure IndyCar will find a new home somewhere else.

The only thing I know now is this Sunday's IndyCar will be live on BT Sport 2 at 8.15pm.
I am sure it will find a home somewhere else but where is anybody's guess (will Sky have it back?)
It is only £12 a month for people without BT BB, but watching it on YouTube is free!

acescribe
1st August 2013, 21:20
The only thing I know now is this Sunday's IndyCar will be live on BT Sport 2 at 8.15pm.
I am sure it will find a home somewhere else but where is anybody's guess (will Sky have it back?)
It is only £12 a month for people without BT BB, but watching it on YouTube is free!

What is to say that BT will not keep it?

Only reason I signed up to BT Sport (seeing as it was 'free' with my broadband) is that they inherited both Indycar and DTM with their purchase of ESPN in the UK. Then came the Motor GP news.

I've zero interest Football..

tommy2k8
5th August 2013, 11:26
Any word yet on when the full Mid-Ohio race will be uploaded to Youtube?