PDA

View Full Version : This is a Crock of you know what

Roamy
3rd April 2007, 23:06
WASHINGTON — The Federal Communications Commission has officially grounded the idea of allowing airline passengers to use cellular telephones while in flight.

Existing rules require cellular phones to be turned off once an aircraft leaves the ground in order to avoid interfering with cellular network systems on the ground. The agency began examining the issue in December 2004.

Federal Aviation Administration regulations also restrict the use of cellular phones and other portable electronic devices onboard aircraft to ensure against interference with the aircraft's navigation and communication systems.

In an order released Tuesday, the FCC noted that there was "insufficient technical information" available on whether airborne cell phone calls would jam networks on the ground.

Now I would assume a bad guy is going to turn is phone on anyway. as far as interferring how does the plane know if the cell phone is on the ground or in the air. The FCC is kinda like the UN - Worthless !! We can drop a bomb on a towel on a man's head from 25000 ft but can't fly a airplane with a motorola turned on. scary scary stuff.

Drew
3rd April 2007, 23:18
Now I would assume a bad guy is going to turn is phone on anyway. as far as interferring how does the plane know if the cell phone is on the ground or in the air. The FCC is kinda like the UN - Worthless !! We can drop a bomb on a towel on a man's head from 25000 ft but can't fly a airplane with a motorola turned on. scary scary stuff.

Surely that applies with all laws? Couldn't you then say that the whole system is worthless?

Roamy
3rd April 2007, 23:29
yes you can

Tomi
3rd April 2007, 23:52
I did read somewhere also that the monkees are investigating if laptops should be phrobidden to take on flights, because the lihium battery might explode or catch fire, in same article they mentioned phones too.

Gannex
4th April 2007, 00:15
fousto, the problem with mobile phones in planes is that they log on and off to transceivers on the ground as they whizz by overhead. That's the nature of their interference. They overwhelm the switching systems, which are designed to log phones on and off at a leisurely pace as they drive in and out of range by car.

The safety argument, I agree, is ridiculous. The FAA have no business banning mobiles on planes for safety reasons, but they do it just as a favour to the FCC, whose help the FAA often needs.

Rollo
4th April 2007, 01:18
I did read somewhere also that the monkees are investigating if laptops should be phrobidden to take on flights, because the lihium battery might explode or catch fire, in same article they mentioned phones too.

Pete and Davy Jones were always good at looking into mysteries :D

I did the accounts for company in Australia that had patented technology for "intrinsically-safe phones". After extensive testing they concluded that the radiation from Mobiles was no greater than what was already in the atmosphere.

Considering that there's TV, Microwave links and other things like St Elmo's Fire up there - I'd consider the danger posed by Mobiles, Laptops, iPods etc as three-fifths of one-quarter of bugger all.

Dave B
4th April 2007, 09:29
Planes, hospitals and the Underground are about the only places one can be fairly certain of not hearing a cacophony of stupid ringtones and people wittering inanely. For that reason alone I think the ban should say, even if it's proven 100% safe.

BDunnell
4th April 2007, 09:35
Planes, hospitals and the Underground are about the only places one can be fairly certain of not hearing a cacophony of stupid ringtones and people wittering inanely. For that reason alone I think the ban should say, even if it's proven 100% safe.

I agree, though the endless in-flight sales announcements on Ryanair surely fall into the 'wittering inanely' category!

I do find it interesting that the two main concerns about mobile phones, namely their effects on human health and their effects on aircraft, never seem to have been investigated to a degree where some conclusive proof one way or the other has been found. I could be wrong about this, of course. What I am surely not wrong about is that the awful Alitalia's policy on some flights of not allowing people to use CD players 'for safety reasons' is quite the most absurd thing I have ever heard.

Mark
4th April 2007, 10:01
Planes, hospitals and the Underground are about the only places one can be fairly certain of not hearing a cacophony of stupid ringtones and people wittering inanely.

You can't escape them on the Metro here, they have underground repeaters so you get a good mobile signal.

SteveA
4th April 2007, 10:38
The Paris Metro has repeaters and "leaky feeder" to allow mobiles and GPRS devices to work (I assume Mark's talking about the Metro in Gateshead).

However, I had heard that London Underground will never allow such a system to be installed, because mobile phones can be used to detonate bombs (or allow terrorists to communicate with each other to set up a syncronised attack).

I would imagine this is also a concern for airlines, and I wouldn't be surprised if they started to jam mobile phone signals on planes in flight, rather than allow them to reach base stations on the ground!

BDunnell
4th April 2007, 10:59
However, I had heard that London Underground will never allow such a system to be installed, because mobile phones can be used to detonate bombs (or allow terrorists to communicate with each other to set up a syncronised attack).

I would imagine this is also a concern for airlines, and I wouldn't be surprised if they started to jam mobile phone signals on planes in flight, rather than allow them to reach base stations on the ground!

Well, Ryanair has said that it will soon be allowing people to use mobiles on its flights.

To be honest, the only way in which we will all be safe from the potential dangers of terrorists using mobiles will be to ban mobiles altogether, which would clearly be an over-reaction, so I think the authorities are going slightly over-the-top again about security concerns.

Tomski
4th April 2007, 11:32
Having been on flight yesterday I couldn't help thinking that with the high level of backgorund noise present, what the prospect of sitting next to some mindless yapper explaining "I'M ON A PLANE!, WHAT, I'M ON PLANE!!!" for the duration of the flight........there's progress

SteveA
4th April 2007, 11:38
Indeed, and the amount of noise in LU trains which makes it difficult for people to talk to each-other in the same coach, let alone on a phone. I think it would be a waste of time for voice comms, but GPRS / 3G data would be useful.

BDunnell
4th April 2007, 11:54
It is also worth pointing out that, of course, quite a lot of underground systems aren't far enough underground to prevent mobiles from working. I don't feel any less safe when I'm using those systems!

Bebee
4th April 2007, 13:49
Well, Ryanair has said that it will soon be allowing people to use mobiles on its flights.

To be honest, the only way in which we will all be safe from the potential dangers of terrorists using mobiles will be to ban mobiles altogether, which would clearly be an over-reaction, so I think the authorities are going slightly over-the-top again about security concerns.

I believe Qantas are starting (or have already started) a trial here within the domestic sector. I seriously doubt they'd continue with it though.

Personally, I'm not fond of my mobile at all and I'm starting to wish I did not have one. :s

SteveA
4th April 2007, 13:57
I think these mobile-in-aircraft systems work by using a base station in the aircraft, which has a satellite up-link. This solves the problem of interference on the ground, but presumably also means that everyone is "roaming" and pays a suitable premium for the privilege of using their phone!

SteveA
4th April 2007, 14:24
Here's the info!

http://partners.inmarsat.com/news/00020574.aspx?language=EN&textonly=False