PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Formula One Launches

steveaki13
18th January 2013, 21:45
So with just 55 days until Friday Practice Begins for the Australian GP and a matter of weeks until the first Pre Season Tests begin, I was sitting here getting excited and so I thought I would set up a thread for us to discuss the Launch Dates and info on the teams new cars as we get them.

Just something to talk about until the Tests begin.

So my provisional research gives me these details. Feel free to add details and info or news storys about the cars when you get it.

The 2013 Pre Season Tests Dates:

Pre Season Test 1: Jerez, Spain for 3 Days - Feb: 5th-8th
Pre Season Test 2: Barcelona, Spain for 3 Days - Feb 19th-22nd
Pre Season Test 3: Barcelona, Spain for 4 Days - Feb 28th-Mar 3rd

Launch Dates:

Mclaren: 31st January at TBC
Ferrari: 1st February at Maranello, Italy
Force India: 1st February at Silverstone, UK
Sauber: 2nd February at Hinwil, Switzerland
Red Bull: 3rd February at Milton Keynes, UK
Toro Rosso: 4th February at Jerez, Spain
Mercedes: 4th February at Jerez, Spain
Williams: 19th February at 2nd Pre Season Test at Barcelona, Spain
Lotus: TBC
Caterham: TBC
Marussia: TBC

*Williams have announced they are bringing a revised 2012 car to the 1st test I think.

As well as that we still have a couple of seats up for grabs with testing coming up.
2013 Driver Line Up
Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel (Confirmed), Mark Webber (Confirmed)
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso (Confirmed), Felipe Massa (Confirmed)
Mclaren: Jenson Button (Confirmed), Sergio Perez (Confirmed)
Lotus: Kimi Raikkonen (Confirmed), Romain Grosjean (Confirmed)
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg (Confirmed), Lewis Hamilton (Confirmed)
Sauber: Nico Hulkenberg (Confirmed), Esteban Gutierrez (Confirmed)
Force India: Paul di Resta (TBC), ?
Williams: Pastor Maldonado (Confirmed), Valterri Bottas (Confirmed)
Toro Rosso: Jean Eric Vergne (Confirmed), Daniel Ricciardo (Confirmed)
Caterham: Charles Pic (Confirmed), ?
Marussia: Timo Glock (Confirmed), Max Chilton (Confirmed)

So as far as I can see we have a Caterham seat up for grabs and a Force India seat up for grabs, although I saw a couple of places that Paul di Resta is not 100% confirmed. Is this true? If so we have 3 seats still available.

So with all this in mind lets hope when can discuss some interesting storys or details as the first launch dates approach, please correct or add anything you know to the thread.

steveaki13
18th January 2013, 21:47
One thing I am alway interested in despite it not being very important is the cars liveries.

Anyone think or hope for a change of liveries for any of the teams?

I assume no car is going to look radically different as this is the last year of this cycle of rules and Regulations.

rjbetty
18th January 2013, 22:24
Well I was really hoping Sauber would do a retro all black livery, like their original early 90s design. That would be sweet!

steveaki13
18th January 2013, 22:59
Yer I would like to see a few changes of livery. That was one thing about HRT. They changed every season.

I cant believe we are only 1 week away from the launches.

rjbetty
19th January 2013, 00:48
Maybe Toro Rosso can be sponsored by Red Bull Cola and be more red. Or Sugar Free and be more silver/light blue. :p

I don't know if Caterham can try something, though I like the green as I think it stands out and makes them what they are. I don't want Marussia to change as I thought their 2012 livery was stunning! Sauber is currently my least favourite. Every year they promise a different livery but it isn't...

My favourites are Marussia, McLaren and Mercedes. My least favourites are probably Sauber and Red Bull, though really I think they're all beautiful, and all F1 cars are.

This had given me an idea for a thread...

tfp
19th January 2013, 00:51
I'm surprised Force India diddnt make a beeline for Heikki...

rjbetty
19th January 2013, 00:53
I'm surprised Force India diddnt make a beeline for Heikki...

I have very much felt that way too. He's better than any other name that's been bandied about, including Kobayashi I think.

steveaki13
19th January 2013, 08:31
I no teams dont always get their line ups sorted early, but surely its a good idea to have two confirmed drivers by the time Pre Season testing starts. Otherwise your going to get various opinions during testing.

i.e Surely Force India & Caterham must announce drivers soon. We are not talking about a team like HRT who dont make it to the tests and announced their line ups at short notice.

steveaki13
19th January 2013, 09:20
Confirmation of Williams Plans to run a modified 2012 Car with 2013 Livery at the first test.

Williams delay new car launch | Sporting Life - F1 News | Korean Grand Prix, Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button (http://www.sportinglife.com/formula1/news/article/669/8406203/williams-delay-new-car-launch)

rjbetty
19th January 2013, 17:24
Confirmation of Williams Plans to run a modified 2012 Car with 2013 Livery at the first test.

Williams delay new car launch | Sporting Life - F1 News | Korean Grand Prix, Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button (http://www.sportinglife.com/formula1/news/article/669/8406203/williams-delay-new-car-launch)

Hmmm I hope that's not a sign of bad news of the team slipping back again. I was really hoping they could make another step forward and have a real go at 5th in the WCC.

steveaki13
19th January 2013, 18:01
It is a worry, not sure whether its because they are behind the game and need extra time, or they feel an extra couple of weeks could lead them to be bullet proof.

rjbetty
19th January 2013, 23:06
Hopefully the latter...

Also, hoping Vitaly Petrov will get the Caterham drive. I don't know much about his manager, but she doesn't seem to be very helpful or have a particularly good attitude. I really hope Vitaly can get some sponsorship together as Kovalainen aside, I feel he is most deserving of that drive, possibly more than Kobayashi too who I feel hasn't been giving his best as he struggled with being upstaged by his team-mate.

I think Petrov is possibly the most unappreciated driver going at the moment. Only 0.25sec off Kovalainen in quali last year and as quick in the races. Pretty good for just his 3rd season. He didn't appear to let his head drop, being bumped down to a bottom team. He kept pushing and saved the day in Brazil as Kovalainen sadly wilted a little. A driver who can get that podium as he did has to be pretty good, and the way he held off Fernando Alonso and others in that race and at Abu Dhabi was really impressive.

He might not be a future WDC like Grosjean, Perez or Maldonado might be (I'm cautiously including Maldonado) but he can certainly be a multiple race winner in a good car, I have no doubts.

Firstgear
21st January 2013, 19:07
I assume no car is going to look radically different as this is the last year of this cycle of rules and Regulations.
Isn't there supposed to be a change in the reg's that is going to get rid of the stepped/platypus nose on most of the cars?
I sure hope so - I still can't get used to that look.

Tazio
21st January 2013, 21:07
Isn't there supposed to be a change in the reg's that is going to get rid of the stepped/platypus nose on most of the cars?
I sure hope so - I still can't get used to that look.In a manner of speaking, it's my understanding that the teams deciding to continue with this solution (stepped nose) will be allowed to cover it.

"We have agreed a rule that allows a 'modesty panel', which in effect means you can take the existing cars and exiting structures that have a step and put a cover there," he said. "The way it's managed is that the laminate and size of that panel is limited so that you can't create an aero [advantage] out of it and also so that it plays no part in the forward impact."

The FIA has yet to sign off next year's technical regulations, but with all the teams in agreement over the 'modesty panel', Lowe said the change will go ahead.

"It hasn't been formalised but all the teams agree with it and I can't see any reason that it shouldn't happen. If we all agree at a technical level that it's a good thing to do then it will happen; I can't see any real obstacle to that. It gets contentious in other areas that are more political."
This artical is from last August, and it is my understanding that the FIA have given it the go ahead, however I foresee a problem with the idea that: "The way it's managed is that the laminate and size of that panel is limited so that you can't create an aero [advantage] out of it" I have a strange feeling that the the covers they have at their launch may not be the ones they race. This should be another interesting element to bicker about. ;)

steveaki13
22nd January 2013, 13:22
Caterham are planning a nice early launch so they can use all 3 tests. 5th of Feb.

Caterham confirm February launch date for CT03 while Vitaly Petrov is linked to new Marussia vacancy - Formula One - Eastern Daily Press (http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/formula_one_2_1884/caterham_confirm_february_launch_date_for_ct03_whi le_vitaly_petrov_is_linked_to_new_marussia_vacancy _1_1802360)

rjbetty
23rd January 2013, 02:19
Really sad for Glock seeing as Marussia look like they could possibly produce a decent car. James Allen said they seem to have made some real improvements in the windtunnel.

Vitaly Petrov has really grown on me during his time in F1. I will say again he is definitely race-winning material. I want to see him continue as he seems humble enough to keep improving and getting better and better. He is also maturing into quite a racer. He could well be better off if he switches to Marussia. They need a driver like Petrov so much, or I fear they will also go under...

steveaki13
24th January 2013, 08:19
Lotus confirmed they will be the first team to Launch their 2013 car. They will launch it via their YouTube Channel on Monday (28th).

Lotus to unveil 2013 F1 car via YouTube channel on 28 January - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105251)

That just leaves Marussia to announce a launch date.

Luzhny
25th January 2013, 19:39
This season is going to be very interesting. Lewis Hamilton already knows he will struggle, I can't wait to see how he gets on, whether he's playing mind games or not...

steveaki13
26th January 2013, 08:46
Ferrari annoucing Alonso will miss the first test at Jerez.

Massa & then De La Rosa will drive here.

BBC Sport - Fernando Alonso will miss Ferrari's first test of its new F1 car (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21190369)

wedge
26th January 2013, 14:55

Massa & then De La Rosa will drive here.

BBC Sport - Fernando Alonso will miss Ferrari's first test of its new F1 car (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21190369)

Nothing to worry about. Senna used to do bugger all testing, especially the winter season.

steveaki13
26th January 2013, 17:10
Just good to see Pedro getting straight in to get a knowledge of the car.

truefan72
26th January 2013, 20:28
I cant believe we are only 1 week away from the launches.

indeed!

truefan72
26th January 2013, 20:32
It is a worry, not sure whether its because they are behind the game and need extra time, or they feel an extra couple of weeks could lead them to be bullet proof.

I hope not,
their 2012 car was fundamentally very strong, and a consistent top 10 finisher. I'd say, car wise, they were right there with renault, so their development should only be tweaks here and there and not a radical redesign.

steveaki13
26th January 2013, 22:10
Some more details of the Lotus Launch on Monday 28th.

Lotus F1 Team to Launch E21 Live from Enstone | News | Motorsport.com (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lotus-f1-team-to-launch-e21-live-from-enstone/)

steveaki13
28th January 2013, 08:42
Lotus Launch at 7:15pm UK according to Sky, who are broadcasting it live on Sky Sports News UK, then showing replays of the event on Sky Formula One from Wednesday.

It is also being shown on Lotus Youtube Channel I believe and maybe via their Website.

steveaki13
28th January 2013, 13:30
I have put this here and in the BBC/Sky thread. I no some dont have access, but just for info, Sky F1 will begins its new season programming over the next week. Featuring an Interview with Lewis Hamilton, Launches covereded and reporting from the Pre Season Tests. Although not as I had hoped.

I hoped as cameras tend to be there anyway, Sky F1 might just give us that feed. Oh well

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/25460/8440673/Sky-Sports-F1-What-s-coming-up-

RS
28th January 2013, 18:35
I have put this here and in the BBC/Sky thread. I no some dont have access, but just for info, Sky F1 will begins its new season programming over the next week. Featuring an Interview with Lewis Hamilton, Launches covereded and reporting from the Pre Season Tests. Although not as I had hoped.

I hoped as cameras tend to be there anyway, Sky F1 might just give us that feed. Oh well

Sky Sports F1: What's coming up? | Sky Sports (http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/25460/8440673/Sky-Sports-F1-What-s-coming-up-)

Thanks for flagging this up. I would like to see the tests fully televised too but this is certainly progress.

truefan72
28th January 2013, 19:06
on the youtube page of lotus : Lotus F1 Team E21 Live Launch - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6nHwtmQ3DU)
10 minutes to go to kick off F1 2013 campaign

truefan72
28th January 2013, 19:23
those covers are not hiding much, i can see the same step nose design,
here we go...

henners88
28th January 2013, 19:51
Streamed a bit of the Lotus launch through youtube on my mobile and liked the livery but apart from that I couldn't see much change from last years car, if there is much. I couldn't listen to much of it due to some annoying presenter who sounded like he should have been presenting a Celtic match. Nothing against the Scottish accent, but he didn't sound like it was his usual gig. They could have got somebody loosely related to F1 surely?

truefan72
28th January 2013, 20:16
http://en.espnf1.com/PICTURES/CMS/17300/17326.jpg
http://en.espnf1.com/PICTURES/CMS/17300/17325.jpg

truefan72
28th January 2013, 20:19
Streamed a bit of the Lotus launch through youtube on my mobile and liked the livery but apart from that I couldn't see much change from last years car, if there is much.

indeed

Wasted Talent
28th January 2013, 21:05
Watched the launch and thought it was a good 15 minutes.

Surprised that the stepped nose is still there and not convinced by James Allison's explination that it doesn't have the modesty panel because of the extra weight it involves. Will be interesting to see what the cars actually look like in Australia.

Less "Burn" sponsorship visible than I imagined (just front wing endplates and on the front wings themselves), but the red panel on the airbox says "Kimi" so would expect that would be replaced by some funds generating logo in future.

Hope the E21 builds on the speed of the 2012 car

WT

steveaki13
28th January 2013, 23:04
Thanks for posting this stuff guys. This is was what I had in mind when I opened the thread.

I had to be out when the launch was on, so I have only just seen the new Lotus. I quite like the colour scheme, but I too am a bit dissapointed with the lack of change. Mind you with stable regs and last year of cycle I suppose it was to be expected.

Also its early yet so after some testing maybe it will have a few new pieces.

truefan72
28th January 2013, 23:30
Thanks for posting this stuff guys. This is was what I had in mind when I opened the thread.

I had to be out when the launch was on, so I have only just seen the new Lotus. I quite like the colour scheme, but I too am a bit dissapointed with the lack of change. Mind you with stable regs and last year of cycle I suppose it was to be expected.

Also its early yet so after some testing maybe it will have a few new pieces.

yup even their technical director under some good questions, said that the step nose design might be changed as well, so good news on that front

gloomyDAY
29th January 2013, 00:30
Everyone, look! It's an E20 Lotus with a 2013 paint job. (http://imgur.com/a/fuJ5u)

TheFamousEccles
29th January 2013, 05:20
Thanks for posting links everyone.

Prisoner Monkeys
29th January 2013, 06:30
Everyone, look! It's an E20 Lotus with a 2013 paint job. (http://imgur.com/a/fuJ5u)
I have seen some truly bizarre reactions to this over the internet. At Autosport, F1 Fanatic and GT Planet, there are people hailing the E21 as a revolutionary design, as if it is some innovative and truly original interpretation of the rules. All I'm seeing though is a car that just looks like an extension of that which raced in Brazil.

I suppose it's Kimi fever, with people trying to convince themselves that Raikkonen will have a car to make Adrian Newey's designs look like HRTs.

POS_Maggott
29th January 2013, 16:42
Just saw this picture of the steering wheel used on the launch car. Clever!

http://wtf1.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Kimi-steering-wheel.jpg

steveaki13
29th January 2013, 22:57
No announcement from Marussia about there launch date, but a article confirming of sorts that Glocks departure was made for the financial future of the team.

Doesn't fill you with confidence that they are aiming high.

Timo Glock's departure secures Marussia's future | Marussia | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1 (http://en.espnf1.com/marussia/motorsport/story/99343.html)

wedge
30th January 2013, 14:31
Launch/shakedown mule

Nothing to get excited about.

I'm looking forward to the second round of testing when it's more hardcore after learning the car, analysis and stream of parts flown in.

Surprised that the stepped nose is still there and not convinced by James Allison's explination that it doesn't have the modesty panel because of the extra weight it involves. Will be interesting to see what the cars actually look like in Australia.

Weight is everything.

I imagine they would rather play with movable ballast than stick on modesty panel.

Donney
30th January 2013, 16:27
Do you think the modesty panel would be that heavy?

Tazio
30th January 2013, 17:29

Massa & then De La Rosa will drive here. The reason Ferrari give (“concentrating on his physical training&#8221 ;) for Alonso not participating seems a little strange on the surface; however the latter part of Alonso's career has involved substantial pain, especially low back. He was quoted as saying early last season that that it was the first one he was having without considerable pain. I'm not saying it has anything to do with his performance, simply that he may not have finished the season without those sorts of problems, and they just don't want to put him in the car any more than they need to in non-racing events. If you have ever had a low back injury you know they are tricky things and acute episodes can be triggered by very simple events even if it was never a serious injury. Just a thought, I could be completely wrong :confused:

wedge
30th January 2013, 21:49
Do you think the modesty panel would be that heavy?

Allison said it weighed a few grams.

Engineers can be anal about weight. CoG? Weight distribution?

He also reckoned the aero gains were minimal.

Sauber and RBR use the step ruling to their advantage to form an aero device.

If Allison is talking BS then what are they hiding? DDRS? Silver bullet?

ChristianArp
30th January 2013, 22:45
If you have ever had a low back injury you know they are tricky things and acute episodes can be triggered by very simple events even if it was never a serious injury. Just a thought, I could be completely wrong :confused:

Just a bit of an expansion - if anyone remembers the career of the late Christian Bakkerud (RIP!), his single-seater career was completely ruined by problems with his back. He had a massive airborne crash at Monaco in GP2 which didn't upset the back, but then had times where it flared up by just driving the racecar.
If Alonso is having more issues with his back, then I would not be at all surprised to see him sit out the entire testing season bar the final one, where he should get a feel of how the 'start of season'-spec car works.

Tazio
31st January 2013, 04:58
Here are some links for viewing the MP4-28 launch.

Google+ (live video) https://plus.google.com/+McLaren
YouTube Vodafone McLaren Mercedes - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialMcLarenVids)
Sky Sports News HD (not listed but this is 10-11am that day): Sky Guide TV Listings - Sky (http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide#/programme/detail/4049/2226)

Knock-on
31st January 2013, 11:21
Lovely lines on the 28. Very flowing from the nose over the body and thank god the stepped nose is no more :D

(and..... I WANT A P1)

henners88
31st January 2013, 11:50
The McLaren is pretty much the same as last year in appearance but that was to be expected. It's still one of the most beautiful cars on the grid IMO. Mercedes have also made some stunning cars, I just hope they are faster this year. It'll be a long season if they are not.

Big Ben
31st January 2013, 12:24
Lovely lines on the 28. Very flowing from the nose over the body and thank god the stepped nose is no more :D

(and..... I WANT A P1)

IRC they didn't have the stepped nose last year either.

Tazio
31st January 2013, 12:57
http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/images/950/q_80/sw_adrivo/se_sutton/0468128.jpg

http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/images/700/q_80/sw_adrivo/se_sutton/0468127.jpg

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/media_images/2013-01-31/dms1331ja77.jpg

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/media_images/2013-01-31/dms1331ja83.jpg

Very nice looking challenger :up:

wedge
31st January 2013, 15:04
The McLaren is pretty much the same as last year in appearance but that was to be expected. It's still one of the most beautiful cars on the grid IMO. Mercedes have also made some stunning cars, I just hope they are faster this year. It'll be a long season if they are not.

No, McLaren have shown a lot of their hand - surprisingly.

High nose and pullrod front suspension.

Lipped sidepod cover at the top for better downstream effect over sidepod but the rest seem generic as they will be developed from testing onwards.

The most significant design is the rear: coke bottle is tapered much narrower as is the gearbox.

Knock-on
31st January 2013, 15:37
IRC they didn't have the stepped nose last year either.

Not at the beginning of the year but later they did. More swept thn stepped I suppose compared to some.

http://biser3a.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/F2012-MP4-27.jpg

Tazio
31st January 2013, 17:28

Interesting that Ferrari's front pullrod suspension took so much criticism only to be revealed as a reasonable solution, and their problems were other aero problems largely due to wind tunnel correlation vs real effect.

The main benefit Ferrari sought was to place the near horizontal pullrod in an ideal aerodynamic path to divert the airflow over the car. Pull rod also offers a tiny CofG benefit, but the top wishbone is more highly stressed over bumps and has to be a slightly stronger construction.
Many teams are rumoured to be running front pull rod this year. This rumour is largely likely to be driven by the mainstream media, which initially criticised Ferrari for the design. Teams could find a benefit in front pull rod, but the 2014 low nose regulations are unlikely to pullrod, so any gain would be for just one year. So it’s likely only well-funded teams have invested the resources for this design for 2013.

Pull Rod Suspension | ScarbsF1.com (http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/category/pull-rod-suspension/)

gloomyDAY
31st January 2013, 20:50
I feel bad for McLaren. They've made a car that may be up to wrestling the WDC away from Red Bull, but Jenson is mediocre and Perez is still getting his footing. I hope I'm wrong, but McLaren are looking to have a long and sparsely-winning year.

wedge
31st January 2013, 21:01
Interesting that Ferrari's front pullrod suspension took so much criticism only to be revealed as a reasonable solution, and their problems were other aero problems largely due to wind tunnel correlation vs real effect.

Pull Rod Suspension | ScarbsF1.com (http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/category/pull-rod-suspension/)

They started off with a car that didn't like corners and the suspension was partly to blame over the bumps at Melbourne.

steveaki13
31st January 2013, 21:28
Nice lookin Car. I hope this allows a decent challenge from Jenson & Sergio. I know Jenson may not be the fastest around, but if its a good car he can get involved in the championship battle.

I hope Perez manages to get to grips with it quick.

rayh_mx
31st January 2013, 21:50
15 days ago I read that Di Resta said that Checo Perez came to McLaren by sponsorships, but I do not see in this launch any of those sponsorships that have followed Sergio in his career, neither before nor now in F1 :rolleyes:

truefan72
31st January 2013, 21:57
15 days ago I read that Di Resta said that Checo Perez came to McLaren by sponsorships, but I do not see in this launch any of those sponsorships that have followed Sergio in his career, neither before nor now in F1 :rolleyes:

I don't know about now, but definitely before with carlos slim's/telemex which is also pushing estaban guiterez forward too in a seat that kobayashi should have easily rteained

Tazio
31st January 2013, 23:04
Good point I forgot about that issue. My excuse?....old age :angryfire :s nore:

rayh_mx
31st January 2013, 23:44
I don't know about now, but definitely before with carlos slim's/telemex which is also pushing estaban guiterez forward too in a seat that kobayashi should have easily rteained

Esteba is not Checo and Pérez is no Gutierrez. Definitely Sauber choose the Telmex money than Nec money.

My comment was in relation to the interview of Di Resta where clearly said that Perez is on McLaren by money from their sponsors. And I wonder... where are the sponsors strickers of Perez in the car?

henners88
1st February 2013, 07:43

Lipped sidepod cover at the top for better downstream effect over sidepod but the rest seem generic as they will be developed from testing onwards.

The most significant design is the rear: coke bottle is tapered much narrower as is the gearbox.
At first glance I meant.

pino
1st February 2013, 09:24
Ferrari to reveal his new car (F138) today. Live coverage at
http://www.auto.it/autosprint/ in 10 min.

RS
1st February 2013, 10:04
Looks like most Ferraris from the last 5 years! Good to see no stepped nose. But the front of the nose looks a bit weird.

What time is Force India?

pino
1st February 2013, 10:15
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/01/yme8agu3.jpg

henners88
1st February 2013, 10:52
Its a nice looking car, shame its not Grey and Petronas green :p :)

truefan72
1st February 2013, 11:12
Its a nice looking car, shame its not Grey and Petronas green :p :)

be patient henners, lets see what Mercedes does
but it is a nice looking car. Ferrari and Mclaren stepped up their game this year

truefan72
1st February 2013, 11:13
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/01/yme8agu3.jpg

ok, I have to admit it looks good and maybe they are on to something with no step nose
I would love to see how low the nose is compared to 2012

truefan72
1st February 2013, 11:18
some early comparisons, what we have so far

http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Ferrari-F138-Formel-1-2013-19-fotoshowImageNew-d338f3b6-658320.jpg
Ferrari very nice,but still a bit boxy, no step nose, good!

http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McLaren-MP4-28-Studio-2013-19-fotoshowImageNew-f9cf40b9-658189.jpg
Mclaren, smooth lines, slightly lower nose than ferrari, elegant, if slightly conservative

http://img4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Lotus-E21-Formel-1-2013-19-fotoshowImageNew-3540ee5f-657507.jpg
Renault, aggressive, although similar to last year, but still a more aggressive design and a significant step nose, although it is a smoother flow this year

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/forc-vjm06-2013-886x498.jpg
closest I could get to a side view. Anyway, looks similar to the ferrari at the back, and mclaren at the front albeit less fluid than either. I'd say a conservative design.

wedge
1st February 2013, 15:12
At first glance I meant.

Sure you did sweetheart, sure you did.

The front suspension is blatantly pullrod, the rear is much aggressively thinner tapering and the slimmer gearbox were noticeable at first glance before I even bothered to look at expert opinions.

FI looks like evolution of last year's car.

truefan72 - the devil is in the detail. Ferrari has worked on the rear of the car. One thing that struck me were rear brake ducts. Also teams are copying RBR with the driveshaft wishbone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9o9d4oBz8&list=UUPwy2q7BNjdLYu1kM_OEJVw&feature=player_detailpage#t=259s

Mixed opinions on the Ferrari. Mark Gillan doesn't seem too impressed:

Overall, it’s a more understated car that the McLaren and they must hope that they have plenty of significant steps in place prior to the first race in Melbourne, if they are to start the season on the same level as the McLaren.

New Ferrari F1 technical analysis: Not as much change as expectedJames Allen on F1 (http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/02/new-ferrari-f1-technical-analysis-not-as-much-change-as-expected/)

Whereas Scarbs gives it the thumbs up:

PNRhCrCM8sU

And here's Suzi Perry bending over in high heel boots looking at the new McLaren: BBC Sport - Formula 1 - Gary Anderson analyses new McLaren MP4-28 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21283726)

truefan72
1st February 2013, 16:36
And here's Suzi Perry bending over in high heel boots looking at the new McLaren: BBC Sport - Formula 1 - Gary Anderson analyses new McLaren MP4-28 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21283726)

excellent analysis by Gary Anderson
Suzi Perry stuff was a bonus ;)

henners88
1st February 2013, 17:55
Sure you did sweetheart, sure you did.
Rather unnecessary considering I wasn't obliged to add to my previous comment.

steveaki13
1st February 2013, 22:42
Some interesting analaysis on the Mclaren, why the BBC couldn't give Gary & Suzi a microphone is another point. BBC cuts maybe.

Ferrari looks good and well the Force India looks good too.

I am glad they got rid of the stepped nose

Flagseller
1st February 2013, 22:54
Looks like the ferrari is trying to pull more cooling for this year

Tazio
2nd February 2013, 02:31
Scarbs is "The Man" ;)

steveaki13
2nd February 2013, 07:59
Marussia finally announced they will Launch their new car at the first test. Now they just need another driver.

Marussia reveals MR02 launch date - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105350)

RS
2nd February 2013, 10:45
Sauber launch today at 12 noon CET.

RS
2nd February 2013, 11:24
Liking the look of the Sauber - livery and car.

steveaki13
2nd February 2013, 11:51
http://cdn.images.autosport.com/editorial/1359804060.jpg

steveaki13
2nd February 2013, 11:53
They have gone for a new livery here, looking a decent car. Lets hope that allows Sauber to take some steps and challenge for more regular podiums

rjbetty
2nd February 2013, 12:12
They have gone for a new livery here, looking a decent car. Lets hope that allows Sauber to take some steps and challenge for more regular podiums

I missed it due to slow internet.

Do my ears deceive me or is that a BLACK car I am looking at?!! :colour:

steveaki13
2nd February 2013, 13:45
A few more photos here

FIRST PHOTOS: 2013 Sauber Launch C32-Ferrari Formula One F1 Car :: PaddockTalk :: F1, Formula 1, NASCAR, IndyCar, MotoGP, ALMS, And More! (http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-213855.html)

rjbetty
2nd February 2013, 13:47
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb335/rjbetty/Sauber-C32-YouTube_2894361_zpsc9322ca3.jpg

Here we go.

rjbetty
2nd February 2013, 13:47
Actually, that looks quite familiar...

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb335/rjbetty/Minardi2001Launch_zps7972c0fe.jpg

Welcome back Minardi!

rjbetty
2nd February 2013, 14:03
Then again, maybe it's a little bit too much like this for my liking...

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb335/rjbetty/HispaniaRacingTeamLaunch_zpse9909972.jpg

Even the nose looks the same.

truefan72
2nd February 2013, 14:43
http://img4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Sauber-C32-Praesentation-2013-19-fotoshowImageNew-3dcb479c-658466.jpg
http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Sauber-C32-Praesentation-2013-19-fotoshowImageNew-8e1b0536-658467.jpg
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Sauber-C32-Praesentation-2013-19-fotoshowImageNew-901b2fba-658468.jpg

that's one sweet looking car, very sleek, the nose however, seems like they were of two minds with the design and ended up with both ideas compromised, but I still like it. well done sauber

a nice comparison
http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Sauber-C31-C32-19-fotoshowImageNew-b376b260-658473.jpg
http://img4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Sauber-C31-C32-19-fotoshowImageNew-c46025a2-658474.jpg

wedge
2nd February 2013, 15:06
I wasn't sure if it was new or not as the livery doesn't help but it's semi-new: SomersF1: Sauber C32 Technical Lauch Analysis (http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/sauber-c32-technical-lauch-analysis.html)

JasonPotato
3rd February 2013, 11:54
The best looking car so far has to be the Sauber for me shortly followed by the McLaren.

RS
3rd February 2013, 13:09
Red Bull: RB9 RHYTHM OF THE FACTORY - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t6cxIeCIjE)

Still got a dodgy nose. Looks like the beak of an eagle.

Tazio
3rd February 2013, 13:22
The best looking car so far has to be the SauberAgreed.

http://www.wearyourbeer.com/images/Family_Guy_Freakin_Sweet_Blue_Ringer_Shirt.jpg

christophulus
3rd February 2013, 13:39
The Red Bull "launch" sounds a bit odd. Journos not being allowed to take any photos. Doesn't that defeat the whole object of a launch?

@redbullf1 (https://twitter.com/redbullF1) are aggressively stopping photos being taken, threaten to take cameras away.

https://twitter.com/scarbsf1

wedge
3rd February 2013, 13:54
Well it hasn't stopped Webber!

http://thumbsnap.com/i/WsHX9V3o.jpg

http://thumbsnap.com/sc/29BNwU6z.jpg

According to Newey the modesty panel weighs too much.

N4D13
3rd February 2013, 17:10
I must admit that I find Red Bull's livery appalling. I don't know, it just has too many colours and it's painful to look at for me. :(

truefan72
3rd February 2013, 17:14
Red Bull: RB9 RHYTHM OF THE FACTORY - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t6cxIeCIjE)

Still got a dodgy nose. Looks like the beak of an eagle.

excellent video, shows how much work goes into making a car from scratch. Still dislike horner though

how many of those parts will be skirting the lines of legality, lol

truefan72
3rd February 2013, 17:16
The Red Bull "launch" sounds a bit odd. Journos not being allowed to take any photos. Doesn't that defeat the whole object of a launch?

https://twitter.com/scarbsf1

another reason to dislike RBR, they used to be a plucky fun team, now they are arrogant folks. I guess 3 dominant years will do that.
If the press can walk around the Ferrari and mlcaren, then why not the RBR9?

truefan72
3rd February 2013, 17:20
I must admit that I find Red Bull's livery appalling. I don't know, it just has too many colours and it's painful to look at for me. :(

I'm fine with the colors
can't get a decent side profile pic for them though

rjbetty
3rd February 2013, 17:39

It looks like a car from one of those rubbish non-licensed F1 games to me.

steveaki13
3rd February 2013, 17:41
The Red Bull doesnt look that special really and reading Gary Andersons comments on the BBC website he seems to suggest its not that different from last years car yet.

wedge
3rd February 2013, 21:36
another reason to dislike RBR, they used to be a plucky fun team, now they are arrogant folks. I guess 3 dominant years will do that.
If the press can walk around the Ferrari and mlcaren, then why not the RBR9?

Agreed.

I expect this sort of shenanigans from Ron the Don.

wedge
3rd February 2013, 21:40
The Red Bull doesnt look that special really and reading Gary Andersons comments on the BBC website he seems to suggest its not that different from last years car yet.

It's a hybrid like the other teams. The presentation hasn't helped matters in that tech-heads are debating the rear of the car for instance so in tha regard RBR have suceeded

CNR
4th February 2013, 04:16
Formula 1® - The Official F1® Website (http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/2/14236.html) redbull look better in the white pictures

The Black Knight
4th February 2013, 13:01
MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS F1 W04 launch - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG11xoqP3jc)

Mercedes launch.

henners88
4th February 2013, 13:51
First impressions of the car is that it doesn't looked as nicely packaged as the others I have seen. Looks very big with the high wide nose. Gary Anderson seems quite critical of the car so far and for once I hope he is wrong. We'll see come testing :)

robee1328
4th February 2013, 14:08
The Red Bull is very very nice :)

wedge
4th February 2013, 15:28
First impressions of the car is that it doesn't looked as nicely packaged as the others I have seen. Looks very big with the high wide nose. Gary Anderson seems quite critical of the car so far and for once I hope he is wrong. We'll see come testing :)

Yes, it's very lardy compared with the trend for utlra slim coke bottles.

They could well be the ones to watch in testing, perhaps along with Sauber with what they do at the rear treatment development race.

Brawn has said the rear of the car has potential and others have inclined to agree saying they are currently maximising performance at the central section of the diffuser and starter hole.

steveaki13
4th February 2013, 18:10
http://www.f1.co.uk/read-news/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/IMG_4585-886x590-mercedesf1w04.jpg

http://www.f1.co.uk/read-news/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/merc-w04-2013-b-886x498-003.jpg

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/130204164005-hamilton-mercedes-story-top.jpg

steveaki13
4th February 2013, 18:14
http://i.eurosport.com/2013/02/04/948902-15622720-640-360.jpg

gloomyDAY
4th February 2013, 18:44
Finally, I'll be able to tell apart the difference from the Red Bull and Toro Rosso. So far, I think the cars look really sweet. I can't say that a single car has an ugly livery.

Tazio
4th February 2013, 19:12
Finally, I'll be able to tell apart the difference from the Red Bull and Toro Rosso. So far, I think the cars look really sweet. I can't say that a single car has an ugly livery.Good luck with Nico and Lewis, those helmets are very similar at a quick glance.

wedge
4th February 2013, 20:25
Nice tidy car by STR. No twin chassis this year.

IMO trumps McLaren as best looking car ATM. Pointy eagle nose makes it look more aggressive.

truefan72
5th February 2013, 01:41
Good luck with Nico and Lewis, those helmets are very similar at a quick glance.

you know I was thinking the same thing. Who knows, I wonder if either one will change it in the near future.
The only way to tell them apart will be of course Hamilton further up the grid :|

truefan72
5th February 2013, 01:55
Finally, I'll be able to tell apart the difference from the Red Bull and Toro Rosso. So far, I think the cars look really sweet. I can't say that a single car has an ugly livery.

they did well, but I think the sleekness of their design is hindered by the livery. I do wish they went with a different color scheme, just for a change of pace.

RS
5th February 2013, 08:37
Marussia looks pretty tidy, a bit different and very sleek. Caterham less so. Both bereft of sponsors, even Fernandez' own businesses.

http://photos.gpupdate.net/large/216173.jpg

http://photos.gpupdate.net/newsnew/216174.jpg

truefan72
5th February 2013, 08:51
I love the caterham, then again green is my favorite color for f1 cars ( sigh, I miss that old green Jaguar from a few years ago)
http://cdn.images.autosport.com/editorial/1360049718.jpg

i like it, much better than the gp2 looking marrussia
that car looks simply awful imo

let's hope its much faster than it looks

rjbetty
5th February 2013, 10:48
It's a shame the Marussia will be wasted by it's drivers as I'm interested to see what they could have done this year with a full aero car and Pat Symonds on full time - plus KERS to boot. I think they would have been on the level of Caterham last year, and ahead this year; but without Glock I'm not so sure they will beat Caterham.

I think Pic will seal his future if he gets a point somewhere. He's the most experienced now of those bottom teams and looks to have the best chance.

I don't much like the Marussia livery compared to last years' which I felt was beautiful.

Tazio
5th February 2013, 10:53
you know I was thinking the same thing. Who knows, I wonder if either one will change it in the near future.
The only way to tell them apart will be of course Hamilton further up the grid :| True dat!

RS
5th February 2013, 12:57
I noticed that Virgin are now completely gone as a partner of Marussia. I think it's a shame that Branson never fully got behidnd the team as I had hopes for it being a "new Jordan" one day. I guess things changed when the cost-cutting goalposts were moved.

Tazio
5th February 2013, 14:00
Obviously from practice not the launch, but this is an interesting perspective of the 2013 chalenger IMO.

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/media_images/2013-02-05/racepictures_1360063404.03.jpg

steveaki13
6th February 2013, 21:39
Razia confirmed as Marussia second driver then. Just official confirmation from Force India.

BBC Sport - Brazilian Luiz Razia completes Marussia line-up for 2013 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21360286)

TheFamousEccles
6th February 2013, 22:22
An interesting perspective indeed, Doc - it sure looks messy from that angle, particularly the rear. Great pic, though.

20th February 2013, 06:37
When I was on WIC with my first son, they asked me if I wanted any formula for supplemental feedings. They pretty much just gave me all that I asked for which was one can a month, lol.

27th February 2013, 13:34
Picks go here. Reminder, pick both one driver and one team for the race. You can only pick each driver three times and each team four times the whole season.Picks close at 8am EST September 8th, or prior to the start of qualifying, whichever comes first. Only picks placed in this thread will count.-----------------------Driver Limits Reached:uzzmaan - Vettel, HamiltonThe Dougler - Hamilton, Vetteldallison - Hamiltonspeedemon90 - Hamilton, VettelF-C - ButtonBearcat94 - Vettel, Hamilton, AlonsoChief F1 Fan - Hamilton, Alonso, VettelWest6MT - Hamilton, Webbericy2 - HamiltonLegend2TL - Hamilton, Vettel, AlonsoTommySalami - Hamilton, Vettel-----------------------Team Limits Reached:uzzmaan - McLarenThe Dougler - McLarendallison - Red Bullspeedemon90 - Red Bull, McLarenBearcat94 - Red BullChief F1 Fan - Red BullWest6MT - McLaren, FerrariLegend2TL - McLaren, FerrariTommySalami - McLaren

EuroTroll
27th February 2013, 14:23
Picks go here. Reminder, pick both one driver and one team for the race. You can only pick each driver three times and each team four times the whole season.Picks close at 8am EST September 8th, or prior to the start of qualifying, whichever comes first. Only picks placed in this thread will count.-----------------------Driver Limits Reached:uzzmaan - Vettel, HamiltonThe Dougler - Hamilton, Vetteldallison - Hamiltonspeedemon90 - Hamilton, VettelF-C - ButtonBearcat94 - Vettel, Hamilton, AlonsoChief F1 Fan - Hamilton, Alonso, VettelWest6MT - Hamilton, Webbericy2 - HamiltonLegend2TL - Hamilton, Vettel, AlonsoTommySalami - Hamilton, Vettel-----------------------Team Limits Reached:uzzmaan - McLarenThe Dougler - McLarendallison - Red Bullspeedemon90 - Red Bull, McLarenBearcat94 - Red BullChief F1 Fan - Red BullWest6MT - McLaren, FerrariLegend2TL - McLaren, FerrariTommySalami - McLaren

Weirder and weirder. :s

truefan72
27th February 2013, 17:49
Weirder and weirder. :s

just add that person to ignore list
makes life easier

EuroTroll
27th February 2013, 18:07
just add that person to ignore list
makes life easier

Nah... :) I wanna be there when he reveals his purpose here. :D

steveaki13
27th February 2013, 18:27
He is trying to take over the forum. We are all being brainwashed.

EuroTroll
27th February 2013, 18:33
He is trying to take over the forum. We are all being brainwashed.

You may well be right! :D He certainly writes in some sort of code... Might be some neuro-linguistic programming going on there that will trigger a response in us. What response? To overthrow the tyrant Mark and install Spensonlizids as our new leader! :vader:

Zico
27th February 2013, 22:50

My friend, I am a member of the N.Jones FGP Mafioso. You have broken rule No 9 of the ten commandments. The fearsome N.Jones will send slasher Sutil after you to ensure you sleep with the fishes, and all for interfering with his business interests, ie; trying to mow the godfathers lawn.

1. No one can present himself directly to another of our friends. There must be a third person to do it.
2. Never look at the wives of friends.
3. Never be seen with cops.
4. Don't go to pubs and clubs.
5. Always be available for Cosa Nostra, even if your wife's about to give birth.
6. Appointments must be respected.
7. Wives must be treated with respect.
8. When asked for any information, the answer must be the truth.
9. Money cannot be appropriated if it belongs to others or to other families.
10. People who can't be part of Cosa Nostra are anyone with a close relative in the police, with a two-timing relative in the family, anyone who behaves badly and doesn't hold to moral values.

Addio!

pino
28th February 2013, 09:29
Thread cleaned...and now let's stay on topic thank you :)

Joey Zyla
2nd March 2013, 03:46
I'm disappointed that only three teams still have a stepped nose. :(

rjbetty
2nd March 2013, 03:55
I'm disappointed that only three teams still have a stepped nose. :(

Haha that's a good one. You are being serious right...?

Seriously I actually don't mind them at all and just see them as an evolution of F1 cars. I think all F1 cars are beautiful. :)

Joey Zyla
2nd March 2013, 03:56
I am being serious. :confused:

rjbetty
2nd March 2013, 04:03
It's just that the others might think you're trolling, given it's fashionable to hate the noses. :)

steveaki13
2nd March 2013, 09:35
I didnt mind the noses either really.

Its like in 2009 everyone was unsure about the wider front wings, but in the end they were gotten use to.

Its interesting that 3 cars are still going with stepped noses, as most other teams are sure its better to go with a swooping nose.

Joey Zyla
2nd March 2013, 09:40
Modesty panels add a few grams, and we all know how important a few grams are in F1 racing. ;)