PDA

View Full Version : MAT JACKSON - Why he is the one

Flatchat
3rd April 2007, 18:18
Hey I just gotta write this because we have found a special one.

Mat not only took the race to the big names in only his 4th time in the car but he runs the car from home in his garage.

No works support, no team mate to help with data, no full time mechanics, just good old elbow grease and the right attitude. He also has no bravado or frills, what you see is what you get (plus he is built like a tank).

What drivers used to be made of.

He got politically bullied out of some works drives this year and I hope they are all now scratching their heads and regretting it.

He is one of the nicest kids you will ever meet but his determination is scarey.

So come on people, give him a shout at Rockingham. This is a circuit that he loves and knows better than all the other drivers in the championship. Can't wait.

This one isn't just a champion on track, but will be a people's champion.

tdb
3rd April 2007, 20:04
Hey I just gotta write this because we have found a special one.

Mat not only took the race to the big names in only his 4th time in the car but

No works support

While i agree Mat did a sterling job and got well deserved results.

There is some technical support with the car and jackson motorsport are a very capable bunch of guys, i wouldn't of expected less from him and his dad.

Day172
3rd April 2007, 20:55
There is some technical support with the car
Such as the WTCC technical data from last year perhaps?

Will be interesting to see how the new BMW's go on the other circuits :)

cazvxr
4th April 2007, 21:22
Matt has done well, but he should in reality.
His family are pretty well off, his Dad owns a dealership and has a lot of backing technically and financially, more than most people think...
He has spent a great deal of money for a championship winning world touring car, around 160,000 which should be quick out of the box. Just the price of the car is probably more money than some drivers spend to race for the whole season.
The Team maybe set up to give an impression it's family run, but has a good amount of professional guys working for them.
The car will be run from the dealership, so people will be working on it full time.
Matt has done well and good luck to him, but we should not make him out to be the underdog doing it on a very small budget because he is not, unlike some drivers out there that truly are on a tight budget and have not got the best car....

Allyc85
4th April 2007, 21:48
n i thought this was a confesion of love!! But being serious yea, the lad is a serious talent n im glad hes got some decent tools to show it.

cazvxr
4th April 2007, 21:54
Not love but understanding....

VkmSpouge
4th April 2007, 23:48
Matt has done well, but he should in reality.
His family are pretty well off, his Dad owns a dealership and has a lot of backing technically and financially, more than most people think...
He has spent a great deal of money for a championship winning world touring car, around 160,000 which should be quick out of the box. Just the price of the car is probably more money than some drivers spend to race for the whole season.
The Team maybe set up to give an impression it's family run, but has a good amount of professional guys working for them.
The car will be run from the dealership, so people will be working on it full time.
Matt has done well and good luck to him, but we should not make him out to be the underdog doing it on a very small budget because he is not, unlike some drivers out there that truly are on a tight budget and have not got the best car....

But you compare that to the four big teams in the championship, Jacksons Motorsport is still small fry, so he is very much an underdog.

BeansBeansBeans
4th April 2007, 23:50
I think he's a real talent, but I'm glad Cazvxr has offered a more balanced view of his efforts.

He's a great, great driver who deserves praise for his performances at Brands, but let's not pretend he hasn't got good wheels underneath him or a good team behind him.

The mad monk
5th April 2007, 13:16
for info Mr Flatchat....only got the car out of the truck yesterday!(because operating the garage takes priority).
NO full-time personnel,and it certainly is not prepared at the dealership;in fact at home in the outside garage by Matt and his Dad Tony,and then after work in the evenings.
Budget?well,I am given the task of tyre useage,and keep this down to the minimum required to achieve the best results,i.e. common sense HAS to prevail.
Car cost? winning the 100000 off Seat helped!
Trust me on this,the reason it works is because Matt is bloody good,listens and learns and has no pre-conceived ideas about himself and his abilities,we all work very hard and for the right reasons,and the correct minimum number off people with proven track record are in the team,part-time,total 8 on a race weekend.
The dealership is a sattelite Ford operation,family run and quite small,just very efficient.
Please,credit where it is due.
thank you.

The mad monk
5th April 2007, 20:29
sorry flatchat,was meant as a reply to cazvxr! your support and enthusiasm is gladly received.

Allyc85
5th April 2007, 21:03
how far does everyone think mat can go?

Id love to see him eventually move onto sports cars and le mans :)

reidy_fan
5th April 2007, 22:06
IMO Mat can go all the way to WTCC he has the talent but as we all know talent isnt the issue ££££££ is. This season I can see him challenge for indie honours, 2008 challenge for BTCC

Alsicole
5th April 2007, 23:14
I think Mat is really awesome. All our gang are rooting for him this year. I was ecstatic that he won the Seats last year. Thought he should have won the previous year tbh, especially after the awesome display of driving in the wet at Knockhill.

jonv
5th April 2007, 23:21
It's all going in the right direction for Mat but I have seen many people make their debut in motorsport a success only to continue with average status for the rest of their career.
Having said that lets hope he succeeds and gets a works BMW drive somewhere next year.