PDA

View Full Version : The Ides of March?

Knock-on
6th January 2013, 19:04
BBC Sport - Bernie Ecclestone era close to ending, says Luca Di Montezemolo (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20809314)

Quite a direct attack. 2013 may shape up to be a bit of a bloodbath. The fight for control of F1 has long been on simmer but I think someone has turned the wick up a few clicks.

gloomyDAY
6th January 2013, 20:08
Luca is right. Excuse me, I have to shower now.

Knock-on
7th January 2013, 11:28
He's got a valid view but is he right? Slightly different question.

Bernie has a lot going on behind the scenes. Anyone that plays the game of brinkmanship like Bernie runs the risk of transgressing a line (or at least getting caught doing it) which might yet cause him problems.

Couple that with the fact he's looking slightly less sprightly the last year or two. He's still got the ability but does he want to run the risk of diminishing from his lofty throne with a bunch of yapping terriers like Luca snapping at his heels or would he rather bow out at the top like the supremo he is?

One thing's for sure. I think Bernie would prefer to engineer the transition rather than let his empire be carved up in a bloodfest. IMHO, the question isn't 'will he step aside' but rather, 'who will he put in place'? Scudamore, Horner, the quietly favoured Brabeck or someone else? What is for sure is that it's going to happen and could be imminent.

rjbetty
7th January 2013, 11:33
Couple that with the fact he's looking slightly less sprightly the last year or two...

Yeah I think this is quite a concern. I personally guess this is due to the mugging a couple of years ago... I'm a little worried that he might not even live that much longer, but am hoping to be wrong. There's no reason he can't live to over 100. I have often thought he could run F1 till he's 90. I just wish he wouldn't be so ruthless sometimes (was kinda hoping his age would be softening him a little by now).

driveace
7th January 2013, 19:27
he needs to make a few more millions yet,to get back where he was financially before he paid the settlement to his last wife ,so he could hang on a couple more years YET !!!
But his daughters are spending cash like there is no tomorrow !

rjbetty
9th January 2013, 17:35
Hehe women! They can be so talented at spending. :D

Dave B
10th January 2013, 13:50
Bernie has to face the fact that the decision might be out of his hands - he may be worth billions but he's still mortal like the rest of us.

BDunnell
10th January 2013, 19:50
For the sport's image, I hope it happens sooner rather than later. I think Ecclestone actively harms the wider view of F1.