PDA

View Full Version : Chilton for Marussia seat in 2013

tfp
17th December 2012, 18:17
BBC Sport - Max Chilton to drive for Marussia, says Eddie Jordan (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/20760073)

OK, this is just what Eddie Jordan says, but very few believed him that Hamilton was going to take The Shoes seat at Mercedes....

This means, four, FOUR Britons on the grid next year :)

With Marussia significantly closing the gap to Caterham, I am really interested to see what Max can do next year.

2013 cant come soon enough....

N. Jones
18th December 2012, 01:22
SpeedTV in the US was calling Chilton for Marussia all throughout the Brazilian GP; so now with this news I am more inclined to believe it.

Plus I will add him to the price list for FGP 2013.

Knock-on
18th December 2012, 13:35
If Eddie or DC come out with this, it's normally a ggod call.

Ranger
18th December 2012, 14:29
If Eddie or DC come out with this, it's normally a ggod call.

Max Chilton seals 2013 Marussia Formula 1 drive - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104867)

Max Chilton will make his Formula 1 debut next year after securing the second race seat at Marussia.

Roamy
18th December 2012, 16:33
Another loser for a loser - check his record.

truefan72
18th December 2012, 18:15
I'm not sure what Vergne did to lose his seat
another wasted talent by a team, that fails to understand the principle of building consistency.
looks like marussia want to become a musical chairs team.
These guys, much like STR think the driver is the problem andnot the lousy car.
I would have gotten rid of glock before vergne, he has had 3 years at that team and 2 years to make an impact which he obviously hasn't. (i'll discount that first year CFD debacle of a design)
oh well, good for chilton, I suppose

Robinho
19th December 2012, 00:32
Vergne hasn't lost anything, Chilton replaces Charles Pic, who has moved on to Caterham

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

dj_bytedisaster
19th December 2012, 11:44
I would have gotten rid of glock before vergne, he has had 3 years at that team and 2 years to make an impact which he obviously hasn't. (i'll discount that first year CFD debacle of a design)
oh well, good for chilton, I suppose

Erm, you seem to forget that it was due to Glock that Marussia was 10th in the constructor standings until Brazil and it was his team mate who gave it away. And what has Vergne got to do with it? He's driving a Torro Rosso? So you slag off STR, although they kept both drivers despite a rather lacklustre year and you slag off Glock, although he was the one collecting the important positions that his useless team mate gave away. Talk about an utterly uninformed post, man :D

keysersoze
19th December 2012, 15:27
Erm, you seem to forget that it was due to Glock that Marussia was 10th in the constructor standings until Brazil and it was his team mate who gave it away. And what has Vergne got to do with it? He's driving a Torro Rosso? So you slag off STR, although they kept both drivers despite a rather lacklustre year and you slag off Glock, although he was the one collecting the important positions that his useless team mate gave away. Talk about an utterly uninformed post, man :D

I'm a fan of both Vitaly and Pic so I watched this shape up as best I could. Even before the race the Caterham-Marussis battle was intriguing because not only was Charles on his way to Caterham, but there was a lot at stake in finishing 10th in the WCC. It was possible that at some point there could be a conflict of interest involved. Anyway . . .

At the time, Petrov had been slowly reeling in Pic, but the track conditions and the pit strategies were constantly changing because of the weather, so it was difficult to tell just how it was going to sort itself out. Vitaly eventually got him when Charles was balked by a car exiting the pits, and the Caterham went sailing past, pulling away rather easily. They had seemed closely matched to that point--perhaps the Marussia's tires were finished.

tfp
19th December 2012, 20:37

Theres no denying Glock did a good job of dragging a dog of a car around the circuits, and I think Glock is a fantastic bench mark for Chilton to aim for. I doubt he will be pushing Glock from the outset (not with Timos extensive experience) but give him time and.... :)

tfp
19th December 2012, 20:38
PS I hope Chilton doesn't turn out to be rubbish now that I've said all that :D

dj_bytedisaster
19th December 2012, 21:48
I think Chilton is just a good example of how far your daddy's money can take you. He has done absolutely nothing to deserve an F1 seat. He's just another driver, who 'buys' faux talent.

Brown, Jon Brow
20th December 2012, 00:58
I think Chilton is just a good example of how far your daddy's money can take you. He has done absolutely nothing to deserve an F1 seat. He's just another driver, who 'buys' faux talent.

I have to agree with this. Much better drivers will never see an F1 seat.

zako85
20th December 2012, 03:59
It's too optimistic to expect every year a fresh new driver who wins GP2 in the first season. Such talents are rare. At the same time, Formula 1 certainly has a place for drivers who had a modest start but showed a consistent improvement in form with more experience. There is plenty of such examples from past.

Spafranco
20th December 2012, 04:00
eddie is always right

52Paddy
22nd December 2012, 12:24
I'm very unexcited about the prospect of having Max in the car. I just don't think we'll see him light up the timing screens (relative to his car's performance of course). I'd say he'll have a year, much like Pic: keep out of trouble, trundle around and then loose his seat at the end of the year. Just a hunch though ;)

Coulthard Fan
22nd December 2012, 19:45
Don't talk such rubbish DJ blind man !
He is extremely quick and did a fantastic job last season finishing 4th is no mean feet! He smashed his teammate last year and will do a much better job then Pic!

DJ whatever your name is please post with some sense rather then slating drivers!

Coulthard Fan
22nd December 2012, 19:47
Yes Calado is amazing but he has always stated that he wants to win the title! The other two Razia and Valscheii had moments last year where they were terribly inconsistent!

Coulthard Fan
22nd December 2012, 19:50
Yes his family have money shocker! Try and find an F1 driver who hasn't had the sliver spoon other then Hamilton!

dj_bytedisaster
22nd December 2012, 23:50
Yes Calado is amazing but he has always stated that he wants to win the title! The other two Razia and Valscheii had moments last year where they were terribly inconsistent!

Razia and Valsecchi beat the raw crap out of Chilton. Those two don't get a cockpit, but the two guys, who were more than soundly beaten by them - Gutierrez and Chilton - do. Now tell me those two were chosen for their talent - certainly not. Both come with a backpack full of currency. That's what got them to F1.

Oh, and how about writing your thoughts in ONE post. No need to post three in a row.

Robinho
23rd December 2012, 04:04
Chilton is not likely to set the game on fire, but equally he's a long way from the worst of the pay drivers we have had in the past. He's decent but unlikely to be anything special, although we have seen drivers perform better in F1 than in lower series before. We'll probably noy notice even if that is the case though, unless Marussia deliver a really decent car or he blows Glock away - both of which i'd rate as highly unlikely

Wasted Talent
23rd December 2012, 16:04
Chilton is not likely to set the game on fire, but equally he's a long way from the worst of the pay drivers we have had in the past. He's decent but unlikely to be anything special, although we have seen drivers perform better in F1 than in lower series before. We'll probably noy notice even if that is the case though, unless Marussia deliver a really decent car or he blows Glock away - both of which i'd rate as highly unlikely

Well that's Chilton's job isn't it? Keep his nose clean and be competitive against Glock and improve as the season goes on

WT

Coulthard Fan
23rd December 2012, 16:07
At least Chilton is consistant! Valscheii had a massive patch where he wasn't scoring many points!

dj_bytedisaster
23rd December 2012, 16:18
At least Chilton is consistant! Valscheii had a massive patch where he wasn't scoring many points!

3,7,4,5,5,13,7,5,5,2,7,4,9,19,14,DNF,1,11,12,22,4, 6,1,19

That doesn't look awfully consistent to me. Compare that to Valsecchi:

2,DNF,1,1,1,3,4,3,4,DNF,18,10,7,2,13,7,2,4,3,DNF,6 ,1,4,5

That doesn't look any more inconsistent to what Chilton did, so I'd say you're talking complete bollocks. Four wins vs two and twelve podiums vs four leave little to be guessed, who was the better driver last year. Chilton was selected for the money, else Razia, Valsecchi or any of the already established drivers would have gotten that seat.

tommy2k8
4th January 2013, 14:12
Is he anything to do with Tom Chilton, the BTCC driver?

Robinho
8th January 2013, 02:40
Yes, he is Tom's little brother, altho Tom is a WTCC driver these days

wedge
8th January 2013, 15:01
Yes his family have money shocker! Try and find an F1 driver who hasn't had the sliver spoon other then Hamilton!

TBH I'm very surprised how far Max has gone up. Very unspectacular in F3 even with strong equipment.

Nigel Mansell gets flack on his personality but at least he knew when to quit. Leo is now selling cars and Greg has turned to cycling.

BDunnell
8th January 2013, 15:37
The withdrawal of the family money in favour of Max's F1 career would seem to have put paid to the Arena Ford effort in the WTCC, too.

Robinho
8th January 2013, 23:49
Although the official line from the team is the withdrawal of technical support from Ford that they now need to fund is the cause

dj_bytedisaster
9th January 2013, 08:11
So basically they need all the money to pay for the F1 seat. No surprise really.

Sent from my keyboard using my fingers
(Seriously, can't you people just turn off those ridiculous ad messages? There's a bloody option for that in the settings of your electronic penis enlargment)

Robinho
9th January 2013, 09:54
Rude! ;)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2!!!!!!!

wedge
9th January 2013, 20:28
So basically they need all the money to pay for the F1 seat. No surprise really.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chilton Sr is running the team.

Dave B
10th January 2013, 18:47

Sent from my keyboard using my fingers
(Seriously, can't you people just turn off those ridiculous ad messages? There's a bloody option for that in the settings of your electronic penis enlargment)
Well said.

Sent from my sofa using a laptop and drinking a glass of red.

jens
12th January 2013, 17:46
Well, not much to add here to be honest. One thing that strikes to me though is that UK usually tends to field quality drivers in F1. I can't remember the last time we got a blatant pay-driver from the UK. Even perhaps the most underwhelming British F1 drivers of modern era - Wilson and Davidson - had a good CV and looked at least decent kind of drivers. Chilton, however, will hang onto his drive only as long as AON is motivated to pour tens of millions of £ into his career. Yes, he is far from being as bad as Ide or Yoong were, but don't see him accomplishing anything more than the likes of Friesacher, Bruni, di Grassi, etc.

BDunnell
12th January 2013, 18:00
Well, not much to add here to be honest. One thing that strikes to me though is that UK usually tends to field quality drivers in F1. I can't remember the last time we got a blatant pay-driver from the UK. Even perhaps the most underwhelming British F1 drivers of modern era - Wilson and Davidson - had a good CV and looked at least decent kind of drivers. Chilton, however, will hang onto his drive only as long as AON is motivated to pour tens of millions of £ into his career. Yes, he is far from being as bad as Ide or Yoong were, but don't see him accomplishing anything more than the likes of Friesacher, Bruni, di Grassi, etc.

Yes, a very good point.

I must say, I find the mentality of people like Chilton Sr rather interesting, in so far as they are willing to pour good money — in this case, not just his — after bad when it comes to the racing careers of their kids. Max Chilton is, we must surely be agreed, unlikely to amount to much in F1 unless he can truly transcend the performance of the Marussia. It's not impossible, but it's hardly likely either. Of the two Chilton brothers, Tom has always looked a better prospect in his chosen area of motorsport than Max has in his, and some would argue that's not saying an awful lot.

steveaki13
13th January 2013, 11:52
It is going to be tough for him.

There is two ways of looking at it. He could have only 1 season, because he cant prove anything if the Marussia is the slowest team in F1 by a distance. Also though if he outperforms his teammate he may be able to prove a point still in the slowest team by a distance.