PDA

View Full Version : Visiting sonoma Indy GP from the UK

wolvesaussie
15th December 2012, 13:31
Hi everyone, first post. As a Brit growing up in Australia I was a big fan of Indy in the early 90's when Indy came to Australia and of course Nigel Mansell made the switch. I havent followed it for many years and it no longer gets much coverage here other than tragic Dan Wheldon crash. I do know it seems to be dominated by Brits and Aussies these days so im supprised its not more popular than it is... I am just spending a bit of time today looking at the forums to find out whats been happening in Indy in the last 10 years or so.... did it all go wrong with the IRL split? I think thats when my brother and I stopped following it...

Anyway Im coming to America for 4 to 6 weeks in august/sep sometime, going to be on the Western States CA/AZ/NV area, looked at the Indy and Nascar schedule (I have been to Daytona 500 few years back) and I see that the Indy Grand prix at Sonama might be possible. Any advice on attending this event would be great... I have looked at the map of the track and noticed the stands seem odd as they dont seem to hug the track, they all sort of stand back as if there was a big ovel in the middle.... why is this? Does it mean you can see the whole track? Are the views bad because the stands are not close to the track? Would I have to buy tickets in advance or could I turn up on the day? Are there any discount ticket opportunities 2 for 1 offers etc? Any help or advice would be great.. thanks

rkid1984
18th December 2012, 07:36
hi, i have someone writing a travel guide for my website for race fans who visit the US for indycar racing i will email him and see how it is coming along!

EagleEye
18th December 2012, 14:50
Hi everyone, first post. As a Brit growing up in Australia I was a big fan of Indy in the early 90's when Indy came to Australia and of course Nigel Mansell made the switch. I havent followed it for many years and it no longer gets much coverage here other than tragic Dan Wheldon crash. I do know it seems to be dominated by Brits and Aussies these days so im supprised its not more popular than it is... I am just spending a bit of time today looking at the forums to find out whats been happening in Indy in the last 10 years or so.... did it all go wrong with the IRL split? I think thats when my brother and I stopped following it...

Anyway Im coming to America for 4 to 6 weeks in august/sep sometime, going to be on the Western States CA/AZ/NV area, looked at the Indy and Nascar schedule (I have been to Daytona 500 few years back) and I see that the Indy Grand prix at Sonama might be possible. Any advice on attending this event would be great... I have looked at the map of the track and noticed the stands seem odd as they dont seem to hug the track, they all sort of stand back as if there was a big ovel in the middle.... why is this? Does it mean you can see the whole track? Are the views bad because the stands are not close to the track? Would I have to buy tickets in advance or could I turn up on the day? Are there any discount ticket opportunities 2 for 1 offers etc? Any help or advice would be great.. thanks

The stands are really for seeing the dragstrip, though you get to see the cars come on the back straight, and then front straight up the hill. The best is to get a generall admission ticket and walk to different parts of the track to veiw the race. The hills provide a bit of a stadium atmosphere at the track, and there are some very good vantage points. Your best best is to find a good spot that also has a big screen, so you don;t miss any action.

I spent most my time this last year in the Go Pro hospitality area, though I walked around quite a bit.

Spafranco
20th December 2012, 04:02
how much did they talk about Dan?

heliocastroneves#3
20th December 2012, 18:09
how much did they talk about Dan?

Why is that neccesery? It's sad that we lost him, but there's no need to talk about him, especially because his fatal accident didn't even happen in Sonoma...

Spafranco
7th January 2013, 15:51
Why is that neccesery? It's sad that we lost him, but there's no need to talk about him, especially because his fatal accident didn't even happen in Sonoma...
It isn't necessary. Sorry to have gotten you in such a tizzy. I was asking a question since the person is a visitor from the UK was if there was much talk about the accident,ie engineering problems, track problems, Dan's personality and all the things that made the man what he was.

Rex Monaco
10th January 2013, 05:20
If you are going to be in Northern California in August and you enjoy automobiles, then go to Pebble Beach and the Monterey Historics instead. It's not a cheap weekend, but it's worth every dollar.