PDA

View Full Version : Norbert Haug is out!

gloomyDAY
13th December 2012, 15:38
Norbert Haug to leave Mercedes role at the end of 2012 - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104815)

This is highly unexpected. Is this another Adam Parr story in the making? I know Mercedes were having a troubling time coming to terms with the Concorde Agreement. Maybe we're now seeing some fallout from such terse negotiations.

Tazio
14th December 2012, 03:44
The whole Mercedes project has shifted emphasis and tone since the curious decision was taken by Daimler’s board to hire Niki Lauda in an “overseeing” capacity. Lauda will not be based at Mercedes F1 in Brackley, but will stick his oar in and throw in the odd hand-grenade when he feels like it.

I guess "Ol' One Ear" ran him out of Dodge ;) :p :

zako85
14th December 2012, 04:42
I will never forget the stone face that Norbert Haug had right after Schumacher's crash in 2010 Abu Adhabi GP.

i_max2k2
14th December 2012, 06:06
I will never forget the stone face that Norbert Haug had right after Schumacher's crash in 2010 Abu Adhabi GP.

I remember that too, truly told the story at the moment I still liked him, he always had a positive wrap around things.

AndyL
14th December 2012, 10:39
I think the good Doctor is probably not far from the truth. Apparently the new Mercedes GP management structure involves Ross Brawn running the team in Brackley while Niki Lauda launches doodlebugs at him from Stuttgart.

Tazio
14th December 2012, 11:09
Sometimes after working at the same firm for 22 years it is just time to move on. As much as I would like to believe that James Allen makes a pretty persuasive argument that he left because the Works Team simply didn’t produce the goods and he is taking the bullet. However that is only one mans opinion

That project has not delivered the expected results, despite investment and commitment from parent company Daimler and it is clear in Haug’s parting words that he recognises that his head was on the block as the results were not good enough,
“Since 1991, we had tremendous achievements and wins, for which I want to thank all of my colleagues,” he said. “Unfortunately, with one victory in 2012 since founding our own Formula One works team in 2010, we couldn’t fulfil our own expectations. However, we have taken the right steps to be successful in the future.”

This is corporate speak for, “We failed and I take the blame.” It’s sad for a long career like this to end in failure, but its surprisingly common
Mercedes turns the page as Haug leaves (http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/12/mercedes-turns-the-page-as-haug-leaves-by-mutual-agreement/)

Probably a good chance he was feeling some pressure from the stockholders to step down, and was allowed to make a (somewhat) graceful exit. I thought the guy was a class act.

Seppala
14th December 2012, 13:21
According to German newspapers Mercedes fired him because of the loss of the DTM title and the unsuccessful Formula 1 project.
They also say that Niki Lauda said that he expected that Haug will be fired, but was surprised that they already did it.

CNR
14th December 2012, 22:23
Michael Schumacher saddened by Haug's exit from Mercedes - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104826)
Michael Schumacher has declared that Norbert Haug's departure from Mercedes will "tear a massive hole" in both the German firm's motorsport efforts and Formula 1 itself.

Tazio
15th December 2012, 10:13
Could Mike be any more melodramatic? :s nore:

F1boat
15th December 2012, 12:34
I will miss Norbert, he was a nice guy, I think.

driveace
15th December 2012, 22:34
sad to see Norbert take the bullet.He was always gracious when interviewed on TV.We also have to ask how safe is Ross in his job?And will Ross be looking though the job vacencies in Autosport in the near future ?

BDunnell
16th December 2012, 00:28
I always thought Haug came across as a decent man, and, what's more, he was certainly one with racing in his blood. Regarding Lauda's involvement, what credentials does he have in terms of the running of successful teams? Less than Haug, that's for sure.

truefan72
17th December 2012, 12:27
I always thought Haug came across as a decent man, and, what's more, he was certainly one with racing in his blood. Regarding Lauda's involvement, what credentials does he have in terms of the running of successful teams? Less than Haug, that's for sure.

agreed

wedge
17th December 2012, 19:56
One of my enduring memories following motorsport in my lifetime is Haug being the first to congratulate Greg Moore's inaugral win in CART and Moore reciprocating at the Viictory Lane interview.

However I was disappointed tha Haug did not do the decent thing by being at Brawn garage regardless of M-B's stake then at McLaren.

Regarding Lauda's involvement, what credentials does he have in terms of the running of successful teams? Less than Haug, that's for sure.

And what credentials did Haug have in running a successful race team before he joined M-B?

BDunnell
17th December 2012, 20:34
And what credentials did Haug have in running a successful race team before he joined M-B?

I don't think the comparison is that relevant, since Lauda has previous with Jaguar.

wedge
18th December 2012, 00:45
I don't think the comparison is that relevant, since Lauda has previous with Jaguar.

Ford were an utter joke. Granted, Rahal should have been left to his own devices.

Haug was allegedly asked to leave because of results - similar to Lauda and Jaguar. Funnily enough Lauda brokered a better deal out of Bernie for a better settlement from the Concorde Agreement for M-B.

Not that I'm saying Lauda will be better than Haug. The appointee is/can be just as much to blame as well as the appointed who is an easy target for criticism.

52Paddy
22nd December 2012, 12:39
Sad to see Haug go but it will bring a different dynamic to Mercedes next season. I feel like the team will have to rebuild itself out of necessity, what with the Schumacher/Haug/Brawn combination now a spear-head of Brawn, Lauda and hopefully, a freshly motivated Hamilton. I'll be following this team with keen interest anyway.

Natalie.S
23rd December 2012, 15:11
I"ll miss Nobby :(