PDA

View Full Version : Real or artificial?

schmenke
10th December 2012, 19:55
Get yer mind out of the gutter, I'm not talking about boobs.

For those of you who observe Christmas traditions:

Do you put up a tree?

Real or artificial?

For my entire life we’ve put up a real pine until this year where we’ve purchased a genuine made-in-china artificial, primarily because after having done recent extensive home renos we didn’t want any sticky/sappy needles dropping on our new hardwood floors :mark: .
The kids don’t seem to mind much :mark: .

ioan
10th December 2012, 20:02
No tree.
I don't want to cut a real only for this and the artificial ones are crap.
The day I'll have my own garden I'll plant one in order to have a nice place to store presents under! :D

donKey jote
10th December 2012, 20:04
Neither.

The kids don't seem to mind too much either :p

J4MIE
10th December 2012, 22:03
I've always had real ones in the past, but they are really expensive - I have bought a fake one which looks real and will last for years to come :D

Knock-on
10th December 2012, 22:31
I like boobs. Whoops, think I should be in the drunken thread :)

race aficionado
11th December 2012, 00:21
I like real boobs.
I like real christmas trees.

gloomyDAY
11th December 2012, 00:52
No tree.
The day I'll have my own garden I'll plant one in order to have a nice place to store presents under! :D I swear we must be brothers or something. I said the exact same thing to my girlfriend today. We were discussing real or fake, and I said, 'Cutting down a tree is fudging stupid. Why don't we just move to Texas where land is cheap and plant an evergreen (or a large cactus) in the backyard?' She liked the idea, and since I'm not religious I told her we could celebrate both the winter and summer solstice in the backyard.

Rollo
11th December 2012, 02:43
I have two cats; hence the reason why we don't put up a tree.

The first time we put up a tree with the two cats, we went to bed and awoke the next morning to find the tree knocked over, tinsel and baubels everywhere and two kitties asleep on the couch.

Cats have a very very strong affinity with shiny things. They love shiny things.

gadjo_dilo
11th December 2012, 07:30
Trees are kinda expensive here which is a shame if you think we have so many forests.
I work with those from the authority regarding forests and they always are so kind to offer me a tree but I refuse it due to my high ethical standards ( hard to believe but true ).
Since a Christmas without a tree is like a wedding without fiddlers I have a little fake one and when it's decorated you don't even notice it's a fake. Then I also escape the eternal problem of getting rid of the real tree.

I think it would be interesting if on Christmas we all will post pics of our trees.

Donney
11th December 2012, 09:43
Here there's an old tradition, Ramo Leonés, typical from this region of Spain. It is previous to the Christmas tree tradition, I like it and I don't have to worry about deforestation :D

Bagwan
11th December 2012, 12:48
I have ten acres of white pine trees . I think I'll put up a real tree .

If anyone here is in or close to Bruce County , PM me . I'll give you one .
Bring a tree spade and I'll give you a live one .

CaptainRaiden
11th December 2012, 13:08
What's the point of putting up a Christmas tree? My cat paws and breaks all the ornaments anyway.

As for the question: fake, since the cat also liked to chew on the branches and spit them out for no apparent reason.

Freaking minion of the antichrist.

schmenke
11th December 2012, 14:26
I have ten acres of white pine trees . I think I'll put up a real tree .

If anyone here is in or close to Bruce County , PM me . I'll give you one .
Bring a tree spade and I'll give you a live one .

Wrap one up and send it out west :p : .
I really do miss a real pine. Growing up as a kid we’d often celebrate Christmas up at the cottage where my dad and I would stomp off into the woods, cut one down and drag it back on a sled :) .

Up until this year the schmenke clan would drive the minivan to the local Superstore and buy one for $40 :s

gadjo_dilo
11th December 2012, 14:38
I love to see cats playing. I'd get my neighbour's to destroy the ornaments.

schmenke
11th December 2012, 14:40
When I was out and about yesterday I noticed Xmas trees for sale and the small ones were £25 for a half metre and the 1.5 metre ones were £45!!

:s

Is that because they’re likely imported?
I can’t imagine there being many tree farms in the U.K. :mark:

Bagwan
11th December 2012, 14:45
Cat problems for some , eh ?
I've got two cats and they don't mess with the tree at all .

But they do provide some perverse amusement , though , as it's likely that at least one of them will down a piece of tinsel and have a crappy little christmas ornament hanging out of thier butt at some time during the time the tree is up .

By the way , keep your trees , if they are real , really well watered .
I saw an item on a news show the other day and they showed the difference between a watered and un-watered tree when they combust . Good reminder . Scary difference .
This time of year must make insurance agents crazy .

Bagwan
11th December 2012, 14:51
Wrap one up and send it out west :p : .
I really do miss a real pine. Growing up as a kid we’d often celebrate Christmas up at the cottage where my dad and I would stomp off into the woods, cut one down and drag it back on a sled :) .

Up until this year the schmenke clan would drive the minivan to the local Superstore and buy one for $40 :s

Headed out with the saw right now . How tall would you like ? Hee hee .

Too bad I don't know anybody headed out west on land , because I would send one .

Where was the cottage ?

schmenke
11th December 2012, 14:56
...Where was the cottage ?

A tiny place called Green Lake, about a 2 hour drive northwest of Montreal, just southwest of Sainte Agathe.

janneppi
11th December 2012, 15:20
Last year me and my brother bought farm grown (in estonia) spruce, which we use here in Finlandistan. At 1,9m tall, it cost 25 Eur. Some of the facier model at that place did cost 60 Eur

gadjo_dilo
11th December 2012, 16:03
In the last day before Christmas ( 24 Dec ) there are 2 possibilities for our greedy merchants;
1. leave all unsold trees and everybody's free to pick one
2. burn all the unsold trees

Anyway it's a shame as we have 6,3 mil ha ( 1 ha = 10000 square metres ) forests and about 30% is pine that we import trees from Denmark or Austria. Fair to say the imported ones look much better

schmenke
11th December 2012, 17:05
In the last day before Christmas ( 24 Dec ) there are 2 possibilities for our greedy merchants;
1. leave all unsold trees and everybody's free to pick one
2. burn all the unsold trees...

I can't imagine trying to burn freshly cut pine :s

Over here unsold trees are recycled, typically into wood chips. Similarly, the city has a pick-up program during the days following Christmas whereby you simply leave your used tree by the curbside and a crew collects them in a truck for recycling.

D-Type
11th December 2012, 18:34
I like the idea of a real tree - the smell of pine etc - but not the reality of dropping needles. We had a real tree the first year we were married, as we had a slightly bouncy floor after a week or so if anyone went near the tree they would be treated to a shower of needles, we were still vacuuming and sweeping up needles in June! So nowadays it's an artificial tree.

call_me_andrew
12th December 2012, 02:27
I always use a real tree, and I place it on a platform which makes it easier to reach presents and clean up needles. As an extra bonus, it makes the tree look bigger.

Knock-on
12th December 2012, 11:22
:s

Is that because they’re likely imported?
I can’t imagine there being many tree farms in the U.K. :mark:

Why? The UK isn't all a concrete jungle.

I can think of 3 Christmas Tree plantations within 15 miles of my house and I'm 30 miles from the Centre of London.

GridGirl
12th December 2012, 13:04
Artificial. There is no way I could fit my 2300 lights on a real tree.

BleAivano
12th December 2012, 17:14
I like the idea of a real tree - the smell of pine etc - but not the reality of dropping needles.
We had a real tree the first year we were married, as we had a slightly bouncy floor after a week or so if anyone went near
the tree they would be treated to a shower of needles, we were still vacuuming and sweeping up needles in June! So nowadays it's an artificial tree.

its not pine, its Spruce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picea_abies), a pine is those tall things with only some stuff at the top.

and to answer the question, we use a real tree.

Alexamateo
13th December 2012, 03:52
A real one, and would you believe ~40,000 of them :D . The guy I work with is one of the largest Christmas tree distributors in the southeastern US. We took our first trees in on November 5, started shipping back out November 17 and were sold out on November 27. 90% is pre-sold of course. We have the ability to bring in all different types of trees from all over the country (Oregon, Michigan, North Carolina, Canada) We then sort and mix and distribute them out to our customers along with wreaths, garlands, stands, etc. It's a heck of an operation.

And to think, it's not what it once was. We're middlemen, and the box stores (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) have taken a lot of the business, not to mention that artificial trees have gotten so much better and "real" looking in recent years. It's still pretty good though. :)

Bagwan
13th December 2012, 13:08
A real one, and would you believe ~40,000 of them :D . The guy I work with is one of the largest Christmas tree distributors in the southeastern US. We took our first trees in on November 5, started shipping back out November 17 and were sold out on November 27. 90% is pre-sold of course. We have the ability to bring in all different types of trees from all over the country (Oregon, Michigan, North Carolina, Canada) We then sort and mix and distribute them out to our customers along with wreaths, garlands, stands, etc. It's a heck of an operation.

And to think, it's not what it once was. We're middlemen, and the box stores (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) have taken a lot of the business, not to mention that artificial trees have gotten so much better and "real" looking in recent years. It's still pretty good though. :)

Wow .
Finished on November 27 , almost a month before Christmas ?
Aren't they tinder by December 25th ?

How the heck do you keep them fresh enough ? 40,000 cut trees must be hard to keep watered .

My son's back from college on Saturday , so we'll maybe get the saw out Sunday .
Not much snow to trudge though yet ....but then , I shouldn't tempt fate by saying so .
Sometimes it's a snowshoe expedition .

Oh yeah , I wanted to ask .
What kind of tree do you prefer ?
My neighbour , I see , just brought home what looks like a blue spruce a few days ago .

Alexamateo
13th December 2012, 19:23
All of the tree lots want trees by Thanksgiving weekend, that is who we sell to, we don't retail. Fresh cut tree is somewhat of a misnomer. Unless your tree is a local tree, it was most likely cut in the last 3 weeks of October, shipped to us and distributors like us in November,and we'll get it to the local lots and garden centers by Thanksgiving weekend. They are shipped on reefers to keep them cool but they are not watered except for misting foliage Some may be treated with an anti-dessicant, but I doubt it. The trees are more resilient than you think, regardless you have to make a fresh cut on the trunk to get it to take up water anyway, so no one is standing them up and watering them during distribution.

As far as favorite tree, I've always preferred Scotch Pine, although we've got a Noble Fir in the house this year. We sell Frasers, Douglas, Noble, and Nordman firs along with Scotch pines. Different parts of the country use different varieties so you may get an entirely different mix.

The guy I work with has been distributing Christmas trees for 20+ years so we must be doing something right, people keep coming back to us. :)

TheFamousEccles
14th December 2012, 08:20
As it is currenty in the mid 30deg C here (north of 95deg F for those who were wondering), natually many of the shops have "jingle bells" belting out over the PA. The idea of "dashing through the snow", and Bing Crosby moaning "white christmas" (not in you lifetime, Bing ol' fella) is tinged with a sense of the absurd.

My mum used to find a branch of a gum (eucalypt) tree that had fallen and bring that inside to decorate - that is until one year she brought one in and neglected to get rid of the spiders and ants that had made it their home....

Fake trees are less insect friendly. And they look good too.

Jag_Warrior
16th December 2012, 22:25
Until my dad got sick several years ago, we always had a real one (always a cedar tree). When he got sick and I was traveling, we started putting up a fake one. But this year, I feel the Christmas spirit like I haven't in a very long time. So in memory of my dad, I'm determined to hike into the woods and get a cedar tree! But if it doesn't stop raining, this is going to be a long, ugly walk... but worth it.

Bagwan
17th December 2012, 00:29
We just got back with a lovely tree , and it was a rather wet experience .
Met a good friend on the way , and he came out and grabbed one as well .

Ours is twelve or thirteen feet tall , so we'll cut it down to ten or so to fit the room .
Tonight we decorate .

That's what's best about a tree at Christmas , be it real or not .
It's getting together with my wife and my son , hearing and laughing at all the goofy stories about past Christmas antics , and committing un-planned goofyness to joke about at future tree decorating sessions .

Missed a classic in getting chestnuts to roast this year , dammit .
They roast really well in the microwave . Just make sure you crack them or poke holes before roasting , as explosions can be violent .

Brown, Jon Brow
17th December 2012, 13:18
We had real ones until I was about 7, then my mum got fed up with me collecting needles with my toy JCB and scattering them all about the house.

gadjo_dilo
18th December 2012, 10:37
No tree.
The day I'll have my own garden I'll plant one in order to have a nice place to store presents under! :D

You’re probably the kind of guy who never brings flowers to his gf......

donKey jote
18th December 2012, 17:57
artificial flowers are better. you can give the to the next one when she dries out :andrea:

nigelred5
19th December 2012, 00:08
I prefer a real tree however, I'm a bit of a hugger and hate to needlessly cut down a beautiful tree. We bought a very realistic artificial tree. My wife also collects Lennox christmas ornaments which get quite heavy and we found most natural trees simply werent strong enough to support the weight. We tried balled tree a couple times and it's jsut too much trouble.

When We did get a real cut tree, I always planted a new tree in my yard to replace what was cut down.

oh, and real are ALWAYS better than aftermarket.

Bagwan
19th December 2012, 14:08
One of the reasons often cited for opting for the artificial tree is being environmental .
While it is true that you are taking down an oxygen factory when you cut one , what is the environmental cost of an artificial tree ?

Most include steel for structure , which tears huge holes in the earth in various places , then piles crap into the air in the smelting/refining/manufacturing process , then either gets recycled , once the green coloured plastic is burned off , or ends up in a landfill somewhere , for the future acheologists to ponder .
Then there's the plastic comprising a lot of the rest of it , which , since it's made to last through a number of holiday seasons , will make trying to figure out the why very interesting for future historians for centuries to come .
Now , add those little lights and you introduce copper and glass , which do a double duty here .
The glass will stick around , and the copper will leave some interesting traces , but the best part is that when the lights go out , you'll toss it in the landfill even sooner .

And , then add the transport of all of them from dog knows where to you .

I drove about a mile .
Trudged for about five minutes , hunting the perfect tree , and used a hand saw to cut it .

My trees need thinning , so thier neighbours can grow .

If we take the need for a tree at Christmas as a given , I think we need to be doing it the best way we can .

So , if you have an artificial tree , make it last long enough to save enough trees to justify it's purchase , and if you cut one down , don't feel so guilty , as it's not so black and white on the green issue .

nigelred5
19th December 2012, 14:36
its not pine, its Spruce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picea_abies), a pine is those tall things with only some stuff at the top.

and to answer the question, we use a real tree.

That's not exactly so. It's preference. My wife actually prefers a Scots Pine for a Christmas tree as it has a very strong aroma and it is very resistant to dropping needles. The Scots pine is actually the most planted varity of christmas tree in North America. several varieties of FIR trees are actually the most popular in North America. I actually prefer a Douglas or Frasier Fir. I personally don't care for most spruce christmas trees because they dry up and drop needles so quickly but I know plenty of folks that would have nothing else. A lot of it depends on where you live what is popular.

nigelred5
19th December 2012, 14:42
One of the reasons often cited for opting for the artificial tree is being environmental .
While it is true that you are taking down an oxygen factory when you cut one , what is the environmental cost of an artificial tree ?

Most include steel for structure , which tears huge holes in the earth in various places , then piles crap into the air in the smelting/refining/manufacturing process , then either gets recycled , once the green coloured plastic is burned off , or ends up in a landfill somewhere , for the future acheologists to ponder .
Then there's the plastic comprising a lot of the rest of it , which , since it's made to last through a number of holiday seasons , will make trying to figure out the why very interesting for future historians for centuries to come .
Now , add those little lights and you introduce copper and glass , which do a double duty here .
The glass will stick around , and the copper will leave some interesting traces , but the best part is that when the lights go out , you'll toss it in the landfill even sooner .

I drove about a mile .
Trudged for about five minutes , hunting the perfect tree , and used a hand saw to cut it .

If we take the need for a tree at Christmas as a given , I think we need to be doing it the best way we can .

So , if you have an artificial tree , make it last long enough to save enough trees to justify it's purchase , and if you cut one down , don't feel so guilty , as it's not so black and white on the green issue .

I agree. I always recycled my trees by grinding them myself and using the mulch in the yard, but It's not really the environmental thing for me, I just hate to cut down a beautiful tree to a fault. I'll nurse a tree far beyond rational limits. It's also a practical issue. My artificial is going on 14 years old and is still in great shape, but in reality, we almost always have a second real tree.

schmenke
19th December 2012, 14:52

I drove about a mile .

Entirely correct.

The environmental footprint of the mass manufacture and distribution of artificial trees is far greater than real ones.

Most trees purchased are sourced from farms where the grow hectares upon hectares of trees, essentially growing an on-going forest. A typical pine will take 10 to 15 years to grow to a reasonable size before it’s harvested, and every year new trees are planted to replace them. The “production” of a tree requires no energy input and consumes no natural resources, unlike an artificial one.

A real tree is 100% recyclable and 100% biodegradable.

I struggle to think of a consumable product that is more environmentally friendly than a Christmas tree :mark:

Bagwan
19th December 2012, 16:50
Now , if we could get those stretch the gene pool guys to get on the ball , we could have them splice in some turkey DNA and we'd have Christmas dinner sorted as well .

Yes , folks , look how tasty this fine Butterbal Spruce appears when you lay the bacon ornaments over the branches . We've added sage to the tinsel stuffing recipe this year .