PDA

View Full Version : Bernie is an idiot

fishinjim
10th December 2012, 18:43
Ecclestone missed a golden opportunity to put F1 on the map in the U.S. when he signed with NBC for 2013.
He has complained for years because the crouds were not big enough in the States.
The smart thing woul have been to have NBC show the races on regular channels instead of NBC sports.
The public will only get to see 4 races in 13. That is not building a fan base. We have had that for the last 17 seasons.
I think maybe he will never learn, and NBC is as dumb as he is. They would have a much larger audience on the regular channels.
:rolleyes:

Knock-on
10th December 2012, 18:52
Never known him to be an idiot. Unpopular, ruthless, cunning, yes. Idiot, no.

I might guess that at the moment there isn't the fan base to justify moving it to prime channels. A company like NBC will show what makes better sense. Perhaps they are seeing the impact F1 has on the Sports channel before bumping other shows from their Sunday slots.

zako85
11th December 2012, 01:17
I am having a hard time identifying the link between "F1 move to NBC sports network" and "Bernie is an idiot". The situation is not much different from when FOX was in charge. Most F1 races were on Speed TV, unavailable to most of public.

gloomyDAY
11th December 2012, 01:58
This guy is such a troll. We'll never see him post again.

Tazio
11th December 2012, 23:42
I'm a little vague on why Bernie is the bad guy here as NBC simply outbid Speed for the rights. :confused:

NBC outbid the Fox-owned Speed channel for the exclusive rights to show Formula One in this country
I don't understand what the beef is. NBCSN is at least as low a level of cable packaging as Speed, I receive both and am only one level above the most basic cable my provider offers, and Speed is not included in basic cable. They've hired Matchet, Hobbs, and Diffey, meaning the only member of the broadcast team missing will be Varsha, and in my opinion Diffey is easily his match, if not better. According to what I have read all races will be televised live. Could someone explain to me what it is I will be deprived of by this move?
Thanks in advance.

The new agreement that starts in 2013 is a four-year deal, and the network will provide over 100 hours of programming across the NBC network and cable channel NBC Sports Network. All 20 races will be broadcast live using both NBC and NBC Sports Networks. Also of note is all of the races will be streamed live on broadband on NBC Sports Live Extra.

NBC will televise four races, including the Canadian Grand Prix in June and the final three races of the season in November, while the remaining 16 races will air on NBC Sports Network. The latter three races of the season include the United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas on November 17. NBC Sports Network will also televise all practice and qualifying sessions.
With this new deal with Formula One, NBC will be the U.S. home for open-wheel racing, as they will again air the majority on the IndyCar series with selected races including the Indianapolis 500 being broadcast on ABC.

NBC Announces Their 2013 F1 Broadcast Team, and It Sounds Like Old Times | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1410764-nbc-announces-their-2013-f1-broadcast-team-and-it-sounds-like-old-times)

Tazio
12th December 2012, 06:51
Never known him to be an idiot. Unpopular, ruthless, cunning, yes. Idiot, no.

I might guess that at the moment there isn't the fan base to justify moving it to prime channels. A company like NBC will show what makes better sense. Perhaps they are seeing the impact F1 has on the Sports channel before bumping other shows from their Sunday slots.
Very well put. We have to deal in the here and now, and even the NFL doesn’t put all of their national broadcasts on Network TV (see Thursday Night Football, NFL Network only). Personally I'm not in favor of shoving F1 down Americans throats, which is a good way to fail. Actually when I got back into F1 about 18 years ago I did it because I consider it my sanctuary away from the traditional U.S. sports, and really don't care if my country embraces it or not, nor does it bother me if there are American F1 pilots or not. However, if NBC could get the big bucks from advertisers to broadcast F1 live at the usual starting times in Europe, which is usually 2am east coast and 5am west coast they would jump all over it. It just doesn't make financial sense to them, which is why you can bet that the 4 races shown on NBC live will all be live at a reasonable time like Canada, Brazil, and The USGP.

fishinjim
12th December 2012, 17:50
I think you guy's are missing my point. There was not a hugh fan base when Nascar went on the networks either. The networks have built the fan base for most if not all sports.

call_me_andrew
14th December 2012, 04:00
On my TV, SPEED is channel 36 whereas NBCSN is channel 37. That's a decrease of 102.78% (sorta)!

Did you see the huge fanbase SPEED has built for Grand-Am?

http://stephenminnig.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/xrolex-24-28x.jpg?w=480&h=322

IceWizard
15th December 2012, 20:14
Harsh, if you look closely there are at least 50 people in that photo!

Knock-on
16th December 2012, 10:49

If you take out the drivers, Marshalls and First Aid Staff, who is the other person? :)

nigelred5
17th December 2012, 13:58

Well, to be fair, you need to reverse that camera 180 to see the sold out infield where fans watch the 24. If it's dark at the 24, the grandstand has always been a cold and lonely place.

Whether they put F1 on the broadcast network or on the NBCSPORTS cable channel, the fact is, If you want t obroadcast the races live, most F1 races fall between midnight and 8AM Eastern. The races that fall within normal 12-4 time slot eastern will be live on NBC network. NBCSPORTS should be basic tier for all Xfinity customers. All races will be available live streaming online via NBC. Will putting races Live on NBC vs NBCSPORTS at 6am Eastern really boost the ratings that much? Remember NBC also has Indycar.

I can tell you this, NBC isn't going to bump Meet the Press and the Today show for F1.

anthonyvop
17th December 2012, 16:24
Some people are under the impression that Bernie could just snap his fingers and have F1 on any US network he wants.

It don't work that way.

F1 had been on speed for years with little or no growth. NBC came along with their revamped network and submitted a bid for the broadcast rights. Bernie, being the reason that F1 is the single most popular Sports league on the Planet, decided that NBC's proposal was better than Speed's.

nigelred5
17th December 2012, 19:30
And considering SPEED is essentially going away this summer......they would be fiting for time with just as many non motorsports programming as on ESPN or NBCSPORTS. IIRC, NBC also still has better national broadcast coverage on OTA VHF/DT frequencies than Fox.

BDunnell
17th December 2012, 21:31
I think you guy's are missing my point. There was not a hugh fan base when Nascar went on the networks either. The networks have built the fan base for most if not all sports.

But introducing a 'foreign' (I use the term advisedly, but you know what I mean — not 100 per cent domestic) sport is always going to be more of a risk than starting widespread coverage of a home-grown one.