PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Donkey of the year

dj_bytedisaster
3rd December 2012, 14:03
We have a donkey thread after every race, but so far hadn't one for the season. Here's my nominations:

Teams

1. Mercedes GP
How you go from winning a race to scrapping with the Torro Rosso's in one season will forever be a mystery. Not even Toyota managed such a display of ineptitude.

2. Caterham
Hyped themselves at the start of the season and babbled about scoring point only to need blind luck in a chaotic race to beat a KERS-less underpowered Marussia.

3. Torro Rosso
Ridiculously slow despite having enough expertise to draw from by being the sister team of Red Bull. No wonder they had to jump out of the way in the deciding races, they were too slow to be anything but a moving chicane anyway.

Drivers

1. Michael Schumacher
Despite glimpses of former glory (Valencia, Monaco, Brazil) just being "Bad Luck Brian" all year and the less said about the stupid shunts, the better.

2. Romain Grosjean
Blindingly quick, but also blind as a bat. Way too many shunts to justify his second chance in F1. It's been a while since someone drove so recklessly to get banned for a race.

3. Narain Karthikeyan
Did nothing to prove he earned a place in F1. Got in the way of people way too often and rarely was on par or even better than an aging de la Rosa.

Others

1. Twitter
The perfect place to make F1 drivers look silly.

2. Spanish Tabloids
Taking 'sore loser' to a whole new level.

3. Race Control
Ridiculous exploitable gearbox penalties and convoluted rules with Flags, trackside lights and cockpit indicators confusing the heck out of viewers. Someone bash some sense into these people

rjbetty
3rd December 2012, 23:58
I guess this is the motorsportforums version of f1 rejects of the year. :)

Here goes:

Drivers:
3rd - Kamui Kobayashi - Got 1 podium in a car that was probably better than the Ferrari. Not really good enough.
2nd - Felipe Massa - Would totally have won the whole thing if it wasn't for a return to 2008ish form at the end of the season.
1st - Bruno Senna - Sad to say, while not being amazing was to be expected in the situation, it would have been nice to be some potential, one or two brilliant performances, not merely good ones. I'd say Bruno is currently on exactly the level of Vitantonio Liuzzi. He should get better if he joins Caterham.

Teams:
3.Caterham - Were not far enough ahead of Marussia despite better drivers, KERS, a Renault engine, and more resources. Stagnated. No points.
2.Ferrari - Clear winners (of this) early on, but at least they developed and improved things quite a bit.
1.Mercedes - Despite easily the best form of their 3 years in the first half of the season, including 2 poles, a race win and a fastest lap, fell away embarrassingly, and don't look like challenging for the title soon. They seem a bit hapless... :(

Other
3.Hermann Tilke: Well you did pretty well at Austin, but your tracks SUCK, they are boring, and they are ALL THE SAME!
2.Lack of Live races on BBC. BBC replacing James Allen with Jonathan Legard, who I don't mind, but I always smile when I hear that James is on. It's funny how times change, that now I find his voice somehow familiar and 'comforting' in a similar way that Murray's used to be. In retrospect, James didn't really deserve all the cr@p people gave him. I think he's come quite a long way.
1.Dr. Helmut Marko: Cos he just is. Come to think of it, the Red Bull top staff in general.

OVERALL MOST MASSIVE REJECT/DONKEY EVER:

The time is arriving, and is already here, that wet races are being stopped, for safety reasons... (in all seriousness, I suppose that is reasonable...)
In equal first place, all the tarmac run offs that drivers go off onto and then straight back onto the track - In the 90's and before, that would have been instant retirement. It's too easy and XBoxey now. It makes me sick to the core, and THIS is the main reason why Caterham etc haven't got the points people demand from them, because the ones in front get away with blue murder.

Super duper reliable cars, which are great for team bosses, but for us take away a large part of the drama and romanticism of racing, and give F1 a PS2 feel. Maybe it's just a sign of the times, and I gotta get with it. I DO think F1 is better now than it used to be. I was watching a 1996 race on youtube and though you had retirements then, it was actually to be fair, no more unpredictable; and actually, the time gaps were so big and boring! It's funny to think that Caterham this year were actually on about the same level as the Tyrrells were to their leaders (Adrian Newey Renault engined cars with a main sponsor who's product is known for their harmfulness to the human body!) in 1996, yet Tyrrell and their respected Finnish lead driver scored 5pts and 3 top 6 finishes.

dj_bytedisaster
4th December 2012, 00:10
I guess this is the motorsportforums version of f1 rejects of the year. :)

I used to frequent that site quite often, but they stopped the brilliant race reviews :( Too bad, they were my favourite F1 site for many years

rjbetty
4th December 2012, 00:20
I used to frequent that site quite often, but they stopped the brilliant race reviews :( Too bad, they were my favourite F1 site for many years

Yeah they must be busy these days... Yeah they are really good, and it's always very interesting to read what they have to say. Surely they will still do the season rundown of drivers and teams (though they didn't for 2008!)

zako85
4th December 2012, 09:24
2. Caterham
Hyped themselves at the start of the season and babbled about scoring point only to need blind luck in a chaotic race to beat a KERS-less underpowered Marussia.

You forget that if Button didn't ram Kovalalien in Monaco, like a donkey of donkeys, Kovalalien could have finished 11ths or 10th in that race (I don't remember his exact position at the incident). If this incident didn't happen, Glock's 12th place finish in Singapore wouldn't have put Marussia in 10th WCC position to being with. My point is that Caterham is not in 10th place just by luck. They were faster through most of season. However, you can still argue that they are a donkey. Indeed, with a Renaut engine and KERS, ex-ante I thought that competition with Marussia will not be so tight as it was.

3. Torro Rosso
Ridiculously slow despite having enough expertise to draw from by being the sister team of Red Bull. No wonder they had to jump out of the way in the deciding races, they were too slow to be anything but a moving chicane anyway.

STR was slow, but I wouldn't be harsh on them because of this. STR's primary aspiration is to be a driver farm on a low budget. Beating other cars is probably a secondary objective. Their drivers, staff, and budget can't competitive with most teams by design IMHO. Sharing drivetrain with other teams is not very important. Chassis and its aero kit is the real key to being fast.

zako85
4th December 2012, 09:39
Here is my list of donkey teams:

1. Williams showed everyone how to have a fast car but finish only 8th in WCC, ahead of just one solid midfield team, the Scuderia Toro Rosso (itself an honorable mention donkey). It's scandalous that a team of Williams's caliber went with two relatively fresh pay drivers. They reaped what they sowed.

2. Mercedes. I hope that the only explanation for lack of speed in the second half of season is that the team completely stopped developing its 2012 car. Still, writing off a season seems unsporting and disappointing to the fans of Schumacher and Rosberg.

3. HRT. The team's primary purpose was to create obstacles for other cars to go around. Even their livery was hideous.

Drivers:

1. Grosjean

2. Senna and Maldonado

Knock-on
4th December 2012, 12:29
Driver - Grosjean wins overall with his spatial awareness. He must have been a woman in a former life.

Massa sved himself when threatened with the sack by some solid races and The Pastor was a little better later in the season but I can forgive him lots with his balls out style of driving.

Schumy had some good drives but was too slow and kept falling asleep and crashing in too many others

Car - McLaren Mercedes take the biscuit. 2 Chamionships(Kimi and Lewis) have been thrown away in the last decade with with poor reliability. OK, a few mistakes in pits didn't help and it can be argued poor strategy decisions but you can't keep throwing away clear wins like they did.

Overall Package - STR. They have been MIA all year. Good car, reasonable engine, supposedly good drivers but have been frankly woefull. I need to give a mention to Mercedes who ran them close but I think the drivers haven't shown how good that car was this year. Next year will prove me right or wrong with the respective positions of Lewis and Nico.

Special mention to the FIA. Please just enforce the effing rules. Don't just let a favoured team get away with it until it's proved they're cheating and then politely ask them to stop being cheeky. I know this is business and not sport but come on, it's getting silly now.

F1boat
4th December 2012, 16:58
Drivers - Grosjean, Karthikeyan, Maldonado
Teams - HRT, Mercedes

yodasarmpit
4th December 2012, 18:38
Massa - Only performed when it looked like Di Resta was getting his seat.
&
Di Resta - Stopped performing once he thought he had Massa's seat.

IceWizard
4th December 2012, 22:56
Drivers

3) Di Resta - Pace seemed to drop off towards end of season and sometimes outclassed by Hulkenberg
2) Massa - the opposite to Di Resta and only saved from being my number one by pace in last few races
1) Grosjean - the crashes speak for themselves

Teams
3) Caterham - Failure to get out of bottom three or score a point despite decent drivers and a Renault engine
2) Mercedes - from hero to zero and such a shame they couldn't give Shuey a car to win some races in his final season
1) Torro Rosso - Another season of anonymity for the Torro Rosso driver merry go round

tfp
4th December 2012, 23:29
We have a donkey thread after every race, but so far hadn't one for the season. Here's my nominations:

Teams

1. Mercedes GP
How you go from winning a race to scrapping with the Torro Rosso's in one season will forever be a mystery. Not even Toyota managed such a display of ineptitude.

2. Caterham

3. Torro Rosso

Drivers

1. Michael Schumacher
Despite glimpses of former glory (Valencia, Monaco, Brazil) just being "Bad Luck Brian" all year and the less said about the stupid shunts, the better.

2. Romain Grosjean
Blindingly quick, but also blind as a bat. Way too many shunts to justify his second chance in F1. It's been a while since someone drove so recklessly to get banned for a race.

3. Narain Karthikeyan
Did nothing to prove he earned a place in F1. Got in the way of people way too often and rarely was on par or even better than an aging de la Rosa.

Others

1. Twitter
The perfect place to make F1 drivers look silly.

2. Spanish Tabloids
Taking 'sore loser' to a whole new level.

3. Race Control
Ridiculous exploitable gearbox penalties and convoluted rules with Flags, trackside lights and cockpit indicators confusing the heck out of viewers. Someone bash some sense into these people

I agree with Mercedes. Where did it all go wrong?
About Caterham, I dont think it was them slowing down but Marussia getting significantly better.
I havent ever really rated Torro rosso as a team anyway!
It is a bit of a shame about the shoe. I was really pleased when he did eventually get a podium, and I saved the picture of fred, kimi and the shoe, the before and after one :)
Grosjean? dissapointment at its absolute worst. I had high hopes for him....
And Narain? Dont get me started....
I think the twitter thing is brought on by the stupidity of some drivers (not mentioning any names ex mc driver...)
What did the spannish tabloids say?

I agree with a lot of these but you left out pastor from your list.

And a controversial one, I think Rubens should have had a drive this year :grenade:

CNR
5th December 2012, 01:01
Yeah they must be busy these days... Yeah they are really good, and it's always very interesting to read what they have to say. Surely they will still do the season rundown of drivers and teams (though they didn't for 2008!)

this is in a way not the same forum it split into 2 you have this one and the Mother F##Kers that tried to take it over motorsport.com your password may still work there (all i see on their site a lot of plagiarism straight from press releases)

keysersoze
5th December 2012, 01:53
Driver: Grosjean, for scoring 80 or 90 points less than he should have, given his qualifying pace and the reliability of his equipment. Maldonado is another example of a driver with ridiculous pace and far too little to show for it.

Team: Mercedes, for falling so far off after a promising start, including their first win.

Anders Grøndal
10th December 2012, 08:28
Mercedes GP

The Black Knight
10th December 2012, 08:41
Driver:

Romain Grosjean
----------------------
I don't think you can look past Romain for donkey of the year. Something like 8 first lap incidents and I don't know how many spins. The spin he had in Austin in the race was just embarrassing. It's clear he has speed but he's also lacking the ability to use that speed on a consistent basis. I hope it improves for next year but if I were Eric Boullier he wouldn't be part of my team in 2013.

Team:
----------------------

Undoubtedly Mercedes GP. They were a model of what not to do this year. They stopped concentrating on aero development in favour or understanding the tires, and still in Austin they were the only team to have to two stop because they ate through the rubber so much. I'm amazed that heads haven't rolled because this is not good enough for a team that had the potential for a one two in China this year. A 7 time world champion who was getting back on form and a talent like Rosberg should not be meddling down in midfield.

Side note to this, I think nominating Narain as donkey of the year is a bit harsh. He may not be a quick driver but he's also in a ****e car. I'm not bothered about his "blocking Vettel" incidents, considering Vettel's petulance in Malaysia, I can't blame him if he felt like giving it back once or twice throughout the year. Probably not worthy of his place on the grid but overall he simply did nothing throughout the year opposed to really having any stand out moments to me.

rjbetty
10th December 2012, 14:16
Mercedes really kinda remind of the way Jaguar used to be... :(

Big Ben
10th December 2012, 14:32
Side note to this, I think nominating Narain as donkey of the year is a bit harsh. He may not be a quick driver but he's also in a ****e car. I'm not bothered about his "blocking Vettel" incidents, considering Vettel's petulance in Malaysia, I can't blame him if he felt like giving it back once or twice throughout the year. Probably not worthy of his place on the grid but overall he simply did nothing throughout the year opposed to really having any stand out moments to me.

Is there anything worse he could do than upsetting someone's idol?

I give my vote to Grosjean... I'd have him tested. I don't know if it's something with his vision or some chemical imbalances but he has some serious issues.

dj_bytedisaster
10th December 2012, 15:21
Is there anything worse he could do than upsetting someone's idol?

I give my vote to Grosjean... I'd have him tested. I don't know if it's something with his vision or some chemical imbalances but he has some serious issues.

Vettel isn't the only one karthikeyan has gotten into the way of. Even in his Jordan days he had a reputation for being tricky to lap as he didn't really know what he's doing and it never improved. Add to that his tendency to be ridiculously slow and you have someone, who should be anywhere but the grid of an F1 race. He ended up higher in the general standings than de la Rosa courtesy of 15th at Monaco (bog last and only driver to be lapped twice) and that was mostly down to the fact that he was too darn slow to actually have a crash. His being in the way is only one factor, his generally being utterly inept at his chosen profession is the main factor for many to award him a donkey.

AndyL
10th December 2012, 17:09
Vettel isn't the only one karthikeyan has gotten into the way of. Even in his Jordan days he had a reputation for being tricky to lap as he didn't really know what he's doing and it never improved. Add to that his tendency to be ridiculously slow and you have someone, who should be anywhere but the grid of an F1 race.

He does have the dubious distinction of having been crashed into by some of the best in the business :D

Rosberg this year, Vettel and Button last year. While Karthikeyan was not really at fault in any of those incidents, it does look like more than mere misfortune to be run into by three such quality drivers - at least two of whom rarely crash into anyone - in two years.