PDA

View Full Version : Andy Rouse - 60 wins

Tommy GC
17th November 2012, 20:08
One for the stats fans here, was Andy Rouse's 60 wins - total outright victories (Class A) up to and including 1990 and Super Touring 2 litre 1991-1992? It seems as though he was in Class B up to the end 1983 and were his twelve wins up to the end of 1983 lower class wins?

BDunnell
18th November 2012, 13:07
I am under the impression that a proportion of Rouse's 60 victories were class wins, indeed. I'm not sure about whether he scored any overall race wins prior to the end of 1983, however. Maybe someone with a longer memory could assist.

inimitablestoo
19th November 2012, 16:34
According to his Wikipedia entry (I know, but it's the best I can do) they are 60 overall wins - however, a proportion of these came when the classes were split into different races. Without knowing more about the classes of the time (relative engine sizes, number of cars, reliability, quality of drivers etc) it's difficult to know whether it would have been easy for a Class B car (or C or D, he appears to have driven those too) to have defeated a Class A car or not.

Either way, 48 of his victories came in Class A machinery, or the single-class format of 1991 onwards, which is still an impressive tally whichever way you look at it.

Brown, Jon Brow
19th November 2012, 18:01
It's an impressive tally when you consider that now we have 30 races per season and back then they only had 12 or so?

BDunnell
19th November 2012, 18:19
It's an impressive tally when you consider that now we have 30 races per season and back then they only had 12 or so?

It is an impressive tally, but don't forget that Rouse's opposition sometimes wasn't that strong. 1987 was a case in point — he should really have won every BTCC race he contested, were it not for early Sierra Cosworth unreliability. Then in 1988 he nearly did clean up.

Tommy GC
22nd November 2012, 09:01
It is an impressive tally, but don't forget that Rouse's opposition sometimes wasn't that strong. 1987 was a case in point — he should really have won every BTCC race he contested, were it not for early Sierra Cosworth unreliability. Then in 1988 he nearly did clean up.

Indeed it was - the fact that he was a great engineer as well and developed different cars to different rules was also very impressive as well. Many thanks for your feedback on this one folks!

GravettFan99
12th December 2012, 02:59
I am under the impression that a proportion of Rouse's 60 victories were class wins, indeed. I'm not sure about whether he scored any overall race wins prior to the end of 1983, however. Maybe someone with a longer memory could assist.

Not that I have a long memory (I wasn't even thought of or living then :rolleyes: :p ), but I see that one of his championships came in the mid-70's, while participating in Class C, I think. :)