PDA

View Full Version : GP2 / GP3 series in the Americas

Mark Pedersen
15th November 2012, 09:17
New F1 challenge looms for IndyCar | Page 1 | IndyCar News | Nov 2012 | Crash.Net (http://www.crash.net/indycar/news/186061/1/new_f1_challenge_looms_for_indycar.html)

This would sink indycar road racing - I am certain of that.
A GP2 car would be significantly faster then a current Indycar. I would say the gp3 car wouldn't be much slower, it would certainly out perform the Indy lights car

This represents a significant risk to the Izod Indycar Series, hence I am posting this in here.

FIAT1
15th November 2012, 12:53
I hope this would happen and we have another formula to watch,but I wouldn't go to make a statement that would be risk for Indycar. I think competition would make Indycar better. Sad fact is that in this country open wheel type formula will allways be non factor therefore I don't see credible investor making it happened. I will state that F1 will not be here for long as history has shown us when novelty after couple of years wears out ,and money gets soucked from the promoter. I will enjoy it until then.

C3PO
15th November 2012, 17:53
A GP2 car would be significantly faster then a current Indycar.

Maybe in your dreams!
Both series use spec Dallara chassis but IndyCars have active suspension, bigger underbody tunnels and +150 hp. Easily beat a gp2 car on any kind of track.

Starter
15th November 2012, 18:07
Maybe in your dreams!
Both series use spec Dallara chassis but IndyCars have active suspension, bigger underbody tunnels and +150 hp. Easily beat a gp2 car on any kind of track.
It would also be interesting to see how a GP2 car does on a 200 mph oval. Of course, not does is the more likely scenario.

Nikki Katz
15th November 2012, 19:29
I'm not convinced. GP2 Asia was a joke, especially the last two seasons, and they just raced in incredibly wealthy countries (and, er, Italy). GP2 should try to sort out the problem of WSR competition, not target IndyCar.

Besides, it's not like Indy doesn't have a feeder series already, and there's hardly any cars already, most of which are occupied by nobodies.

I guess if maybe the mere suggestion causes IndyCar to fold then it might get some support due to lack of other series there.

GP2 wouldn't race on ovals.

heliocastroneves#3
15th November 2012, 21:00
What would it matter if a GP2 car is faster than an IndyCar... An IndyCar has lesser downforce (for real drivers) than a GP2 car and a GP2 has more than enough, if not too much downforce.. And on what tracks would they run? They will have to stay away from all tracks with the exception of Austin and street circuits, since something related to F1 will not drive on a track where they don't have safe curbstones, run-off areas and all those other stupid modern things to make the racing safer and boring...

Mark Pedersen
16th November 2012, 03:55
Maybe in your dreams!

are you kidding me??? on a road course, the GP2 car would be significantly faster then the current indycar, it wouldn't even be close.(of course, the GP2 car is not designed to, and will never race on an oval and therefore there is a big weight difference so we may not be comparing apples with apples).

current gp2 car has 612hp and weighs 688kg (with the driver)
current indycar has up to 700hp and weights 710kg (without the driver)

Hell the old crapwagon was some 3 seconds slower then the formula nippon car on the twin ring motegi road course (dixon would have got lapped by a formula nippon car), and this years car is only slightly quicker then last years car on most road courses.

indycar will always have ovals and the 500, but this new series (if it happens) would further confuse the public and hurt indycar.

talk is the new series would only initially race at the 4 F1 races in the Americas (assuming the NY race happens as planned next year)

just sayin....

C3PO
16th November 2012, 07:15
Hell the old crapwagon was some 3 seconds slower then the formula nippon car on the twin ring motegi road course (dixon would have got lapped by a formula nippon car), and this years car is only slightly quicker then last years car on most road courses.

Yes. But a Formula Nippon Cars only 7-8 second slower than F1 cars, and the current IndyCar is same fast. In second half of the season they easily faster 2-3 second than last year cars. The gp2 cars about 10-12 second slower than f1 cars. The DW12 easily beat a GP2 Dallara.

C3PO
16th November 2012, 07:56
current indycar has up to 700hp and weights 710kg (without the driver)

Yes... on ovals. On road and streets 680kg without the driver. Or maybe less with the mid-season updates.

truefan72
18th November 2012, 05:49
Maybe in your dreams!

yup

zako85
18th November 2012, 13:01
I can't possibly imagine an American GP2 being a competitor to IndyCar. GP2 is a "support" series for Formula 1, which means that Gp2 races are usually held on the same weekend with the corresponding F1 race. The point is to entertain F1 spectators when F1 cars are not racing and also to serve as F1 driver incubator. Without F1, relatively few would probably go to see GP2 races. The American GP2 series probably will have 6-7 races a year. I assume some of those will be the Canada GP, US GP, New Jersey's GP, Brazil, and Mexico (when they get their GP, which seems likely).

Also, GP2 drivers normally do not stick in GP2 long enough for fans to develop any sort of attachment to the GP2 drivers themselves. The good ones are quickly snatched by F1 teams. The weaker ones move onto different series. Anyone who sticks around for more than 2-3 years in GP2 is considered substandard.

Speaking of competition, IndyCar should probably worry more about sports cars after ALMS and Grand Am merger.