PDA

View Full Version : Spec engines == good?

zako85
14th November 2012, 07:03
During the last few years, all engines were rev limited, frozen, and equalized. What we have right now is already pretty close to spec engine competition, and no one seems to be missing the engine wars. Perhaps spec engines are good after all?

gloomyDAY
14th November 2012, 07:41
The race fan in me says, 'This is Commie bullpoop! Unfreeze engine development!'

The pragmatist in me says, 'Sure! Great idea,' and then shoots himself.

Big Ben
14th November 2012, 09:11
The best thing about it is that once the championship starts and some team I like starts on the wrong foot there's one less thing they can do about it.

Mark
14th November 2012, 09:53
And that's good ?

Wasted Talent
14th November 2012, 10:27
All the current engines seem pretty evenly matched.

There is a big danger that as they have spent many millions developing the new engines the manufacturers will have to justify that by having the "best" engine so some F1 teams will be at a disadvantage from the start and the racing will be less close.

If the FIA intends the engines to be equal then it has been a massive waste of time and money with three seperate development teams chasing maximum performance, when all that is really required is a standard, fuel-efficient, engine with energy recovery with 7-800 bhp

Hope I am wrong and that the racing in 2014 is as close and intersting as 2012

WT

ShiftingGears
14th November 2012, 10:53
I liked the different engine developments. Tyres were much more of a problem, because they are the most important component, and they are outsourced.

The DRS and KERS implementation was, I feel, partly due to the RPM limit inhibiting passing another vehicle. I would prefer no RPM limit over DRS, any time.

Big Ben
14th November 2012, 14:20
And that's good ?

Maybe I should have used quotes, italics, this guy :rolleyes: or that super funny American punch line (or punch word?), NOT, at the end of the sentence to compensate for the lack of tone :p .

Mark
14th November 2012, 15:08
eh?

Mia 01
14th November 2012, 15:48
A rumour says that the Renualt engines consumes 10 -15 litres less fuel during a normal race. Therefore Lotus and Red Bull can start the race a bit lighter. Seb normally pulls a gap of 2-3 second on the first two laps.

wedge
14th November 2012, 19:44
I'm not a hige fan of equalisation but its a difficult one.

No one wants contrived parity nor do one enjoys big advantges unless you're part of the winning party.

2014 will be interesting with the addition of TERS - wasted spool from the turbo.

Wasted Talent
14th November 2012, 19:59
A rumour says that the Renualt engines consumes 10 -15 litres less fuel during a normal race. Therefore Lotus and Red Bull can start the race a bit lighter. Seb normally pulls a gap of 2-3 second on the first two laps.

....yes, but it also develops slightly less power than the Mercedes engine so it balances itself out.

10-15 litres would only be worth 0.1-0.2 seconds a lap at the start.

The 2-3 sec gap is partly due to running in clean air at the front, the setup of the car, and also SV's ability to push hard at the start

WT

Mark
14th November 2012, 20:12
The part I have difficulty with is them seemingly being fixed forever. They couldn't allow a new model to be introduced every couple of seasons?

AndyL
15th November 2012, 10:57
From a commercial point of view, what we have now is the best of both worlds. We have most of the advantages of what is effectively a spec engine, but still a small element of competition that makes it a good marketing proposition for the engine manufacturers. With spec rules, there's little glory in being the sole supplier. Renault and Mercedes can revel in beating each other and winning races, whereas Pirelli never wins races - they get only criticism.

Honda have a similar problem as the spec engine supplier in Moto2. All you ever hear about those engines is people querying why they're less powerful than a similar Supersport engine, or on the odd occasions when they blow up saying "that shouldn't happen, they're not even pushing the limits."

wedge
15th November 2012, 15:00
....yes, but it also develops slightly less power than the Mercedes engine so it balances itself out.

That's the issue with homologation and equalisation. Renault were given a break a few years ago to make up a supposedly significant deficit on HP which defeats the purpose of homologation and cost cutting.

The part I have difficulty with is them seemingly being fixed forever. They couldn't allow a new model to be introduced every couple of seasons?

That was the intention of homologated V8s but there is an element of freedom mainly from the exhausts eg. resonance chambers have become in vogue for the benefit of blown diffusers.

zako85
15th November 2012, 20:14
From a commercial point of view, what we have now is the best of both worlds. We have most of the advantages of what is effectively a spec engine, but still a small element of competition that makes it a good marketing proposition for the engine manufacturers. With spec rules, there's little glory in being the sole supplier. Renault and Mercedes can revel in beating each other and winning races, whereas Pirelli never wins races - they get only criticism.

I agree. I like the idea to have multiple manufacturers with engines make to a very tight specification.

Wasted Talent
16th November 2012, 12:17
I agree. I like the idea to have multiple manufacturers with engines make to a very tight specification.

I agree, it is good that the engines have different characteristics but pretty evenly matched

WT

steveaki13
18th November 2012, 23:02
I miss the old days when we had Honda, Renault, Mercedes, BMW all with huge power and RPM. This straight linespeed of the BMW Williams in 2001 & 2002 was epic and was a really enjoyment.

I think its good for teams and manufacturers with a slightly free reign.

Be interested to see 2014 and whar happens with the Turbo's.

gloomyDAY
18th November 2012, 23:29
Honda have a similar problem as the spec engine supplier in Moto2. All you ever hear about those engines is people querying why they're less powerful than a similar Supersport engine, or on the odd occasions when they blow up saying "that shouldn't happen, they're not even pushing the limits."Don't forget about the constant whining by fans, such as yours truly :p , that Honda were helping Marc Marquez by changing his bike's engine mapping in order to let him have an advantage all season.