PDA

View Full Version : Worst Drivers to have won a race?

Alfa Fan
14th November 2012, 03:41
Tom Boardman
Stephen Jelley
Gareth Howell
Luke Hines
Paul O'Neill (in '02/'03 guise when he won only because his 3 team-mates had upwards of 90kg extra ballast in comparison. '08-'12-spec O'Neill would not be on this list)
Phil Bennett (same reasoning for why he won in '01)

BDunnell
15th November 2012, 00:47
Boardman should, in my view, have been stripped of his single win for the push on Plato. Hines never impressed me at all during his time in the BTCC. I can see the point about O'Neill, who's become a far better racer during his subsequent stints in the championship (and is hugely deserving of more victories), and Bennett, but the others have no place on such a list at all. Gareth Howell I thought was a potentially great talent who ought to have been in the BTCC for longer, and Stephen Jelley raced very hard in 2009, thoroughly deserving his victories at Rockingham where he was absolutely mighty.

And, to take the discussion further, I think some drivers of lesser talent than any of the six named above won BTCC races in previous eras.

Rollo
15th November 2012, 01:57
Tiff Needell

He won the Donington Endurance race with Bristow in the 1989 BTCC after swanning about the paddock looking like a great pratt.
Tim Harvey had put the effort into the Labatt's Sierras all year and suddenly Tiff turns up for one lousy race, drives 20 odd laps and records a race win.

BDunnell
15th November 2012, 19:56
I don't know — I think Tiff at that time was a driver of sufficient talent to deserve a BTCC race win.

GravettFan99
12th December 2012, 03:13
Jelley? Howell? :confused: I think if given a further chance in the BTCC that they will improve brilliantly. Howell wasn't all too brilliant in his early career, but he proved his ability in the '05-'07 seasons. Stephen Jelley wasn't a spectacle in 2008, but really proved worthy in 2009. He's also been driving well in Porsche's, which are difficult cars to control, I think. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

I could definitely believe Luke Hines's inclusion on the list, and Phil Bennett-why, he almost went winless in an advanced Vauxhall team in a season that consisted of about 6-8 drivers per race. Only in the last rounds did he finally achieve some wins He was around 3rd or 4th, maybe 5th, only ahead of the underdeveloped cars. Even people like Dan Eaves and Steve Soper were giving him quite a battle. Not a class driver, but very lucky to be included among other true class drivers' names. :o

Eurotech
12th December 2012, 11:33
I think Gareth Howell should've been given a better chance in the BTCC, he was mighty round Silverstone... I think Tom Boardman definitely should be on the list though, he wouldn't have ever won if it weren't for the clumsy move on Plato

rjbetty
12th December 2012, 17:35
So how come Gareth Howell isn't highly rated? I remember when he and Colin Turkington were making their BTCC debut as team-mates for Team Atomic Kitten MG in 2002, and they were totally evenly matched. Actually I think Howell might have been a tiny bit quicker. Yet Turkington's career sailed, while Howell never got off the mark really. I always really liked him and think he needs a chance.

BDunnell
12th December 2012, 18:14
So how come Gareth Howell isn't highly rated? I remember when he and Colin Turkington were making their BTCC debut as team-mates for Team Atomic Kitten MG in 2002, and they were totally evenly matched. Actually I think Howell might have been a tiny bit quicker. Yet Turkington's career sailed, while Howell never got off the mark really. I always really liked him and think he needs a chance.

My thoughts exactly. Howell was quick in that debut season and raced extremely well. Certainly, he was on a par with Turkington.

ATF
16th December 2012, 21:26
Don't agree with Howell or O'Neill - as people have said, Howell did well v Turks in 2002 and O'Neill should have deservedly won at Brands in 2003 when he got punted by Neal on the final corner (gutted is not the word)!!

Peter Kox is potentially a contender - never did much in BTCC, one lucky win at Snett. But amazingly went on to claim 2nd in the 2000 ETCC, only beaten by Giovanardi!

BDunnell
17th December 2012, 21:17
Peter Kox is potentially a contender - never did much in BTCC, one lucky win at Snett. But amazingly went on to claim 2nd in the 2000 ETCC, only beaten by Giovanardi!

Well, Kox claimed the majority of that year's pole positions in the ETCC, so he was clearly no chump.