PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointment Of The Day

BTCC2
2nd April 2007, 13:21
So who was your biggest dissapointment at Brands. ie. didn't live up to the expectation and hype.

Matt Allison
Gareth Howell
David Pinkney
Darren Turner
Tom Onslow Cole
Mike Jordan
Gordon Shedden
Richard Marsh
Jim Pocklington
John George

MBailey06
2nd April 2007, 13:27
Gareth Howell was my biggest disappointment as he has spent most time with the car compared to the others and should have the most pace of that list, but he didn't show it.

VkmSpouge
2nd April 2007, 13:51
None of the above. I would have to say the disappointment would be Nick Leason, he was out performed by his team mate and then something stopped him competing in the next two races. I hope he has a better weekend at Rockingham.

cazvxr
2nd April 2007, 14:11
Nick had a very unlucky day yesterday,1st race he didnt have full power and the 2nd the engine gave so that was his racing over for the day! Hes getting a new one for Rockingham so fingers crossed he will have a better time.

Northern Monkey
2nd April 2007, 14:11
None of the above. I would have to say the disappointment would be Nick Leason, he was out performed by his team mate and then something stopped him competing in the next two races. I hope he has a better weekend at Rockingham.

Nick had an engine problem all weekend that left him down on power and then it gave up the ghost before race two. So he did nothing wrong in the circumstances.

RED VXR
2nd April 2007, 14:26
Spoke to Nick towards the end of the day and he was generally happy with the cars set up. Great shame the engine gave up but looking forward to rockingham with a new one.

BDunnell
2nd April 2007, 14:28
I was a bit disappointed with the performance of the Motorbase cars, but they were able to latch onto the tails of some of the front-runners as the races went on, so they aren't too far off the pace.

Of the others in the list above, there were either extenuating circumstances (Pinkney, Shedden), I wasn't expecting anything much of them (Marsh, Pocklington, George) or they actually did pretty well. Onslow-Cole didn't disappoint me at all, and Mike Jordan was unlucky to get punted out of race 2. Otherwise, he was just as competitive as he was last year.

BeansBeansBeans
2nd April 2007, 14:49
He's not on the list, but I'd say Darren Turner was the most disappointing. He was not as close to Plato as I'd expected, and he got himself involved in a couple of unsavoury incidents.

Obviously, Turner has proven himself to be an excellent driver over the last decade, and I'm sure he will do so again this season, but I wasn't impressed with his performances yesterday.

BDunnell
2nd April 2007, 14:50
He's not on the list...

Yes he is!

BeansBeansBeans
2nd April 2007, 14:55
Yes he is!

Oh, right.

Not being able to read that list properly is the biggest disappointment of my day.

WSRfan82
2nd April 2007, 15:05
No one in the list above for me it was Tom Chilton lets face it he is a usless driver how the hell he is driving for a work team beats me vauxhall should of kept smith and got rid of chilton

BeansBeansBeans
2nd April 2007, 15:09
No one in the list above for me it was Tom Chilton lets face it he is a usless driver how the hell he is driving for a work team beats me vauxhall should of kept smith and got rid of chilton

I don't agree that Chilton is a useless driver. He has already proved himself a multiple race-winner.

Neil Adams
2nd April 2007, 15:20
john george, maybe the car was affected by the damage he did to the car in fp2 i dont know, was expecting him to be much further up the grid, considering his experience and the pace of the car - he didnt do any better than blanckley

CroftPilgrim
2nd April 2007, 15:22
I was expecting to see the A-tech Alfa's do better, but I wouldn't say I was disappointed with them - at least not yet. I understand there were some teething troubles.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment was John George. He said himself that there are no excuses now he's got a good car. His best comparator is Mike Jordan and he was nowhere near him.

BDunnell
2nd April 2007, 15:33
Perhaps the biggest disappointment was John George. He said himself that there are no excuses now he's got a good car. His best comparator is Mike Jordan and he was nowhere near him.

Does this really surprise anyone? Jordan is an extremely good driver.

BeansBeansBeans
2nd April 2007, 15:38
Indeed.

No disrespect to John George, but he is a gentleman driver. I would never expect him to compete with the likes of Mike Jordan in similar machinery.

CroftPilgrim
2nd April 2007, 15:43
Does this really surprise anyone? Jordan is an extremely good driver.

No, it doesn't surprise me. I didn't expect John to be on Mike's tail, but I did expect to him to finish on the same lap as the leaders. I just wanted to highlight the difference between two drivers with the same machinery.

reidy_fan
2nd April 2007, 17:18

sorry but Tom Chilton may have his faults but he is different class to Gavin Smith as for winning a title with smith all they would have had was bodushop bills

of course there is guys racing in the support series that would wipe the floor with both Chilton and smith. hint see my sig :-)

Northern Monkey
2nd April 2007, 17:22
To be honest, I feel the biggest disappointment of the day came on Saturday, not Sunday, when Eoin Murray was forced out of the weekend.

With the pace he had been showing up until his accident, he could easily have joined Jackson and Jones in taking the fight to the 'big boys'.

ADnet
2nd April 2007, 17:26
I don't think anyone shoud be branded a dissapointment.. afterall, it's the first meeting of the year, a lot of people in new motors and teams... give it time, then i may pick someone.

But as it stands, no-one is a dissapointment, they all got here, they're all racing for our enjoyment and theirs, and wherever they finish, they're doing a damn good job! :)

cazvxr
2nd April 2007, 18:16
I don't think anyone shoud be branded a dissapointment.. afterall, it's the first meeting of the year, a lot of people in new motors and teams... give it time, then i may pick someone.

But as it stands, no-one is a dissapointment, they all got here, they're all racing for our enjoyment and theirs, and wherever they finish, they're doing a damn good job! :)

Hurray!!!!! At last someone who enjoys all aspects of motor racing.

mattie007
2nd April 2007, 18:42
I agree, the racing was great throughout the field. Its hardly fair to judge some of the racers as disapointments in the first round.

Nick The Flick
2nd April 2007, 19:11
I think the biggest disappointment was the low number of promo girls at Brands.

Les
2nd April 2007, 19:55
my biggest disappointment is you lot.
As per normal lash out at people without knowing the facts.

BT 96
2nd April 2007, 20:21
my biggest disappointment is you lot.
As per normal lash out at people without knowing the facts.

Well said Les,
Nick had engine problems from the 1st session,we couldn't find it,and Nick didn't get in the car untill the 1st session,so in our eyes Nick did a good job all round.

cazvxr
2nd April 2007, 21:09
Well said Les,
Nick had engine problems from the 1st session,we couldn't find it,and Nick didn't get in the car untill the 1st session,so in our eyes Nick did a good job all round.

Not that im biased but Nick and the team did a great job.The engine giving up-well thats motor cars for you!

Les
2nd April 2007, 21:45
It just gets my goat when you see how hard some have worked for months, if not years, on their dream and then to see it literally go up in a puff of smoke. It breaks your heart.

MBailey06
2nd April 2007, 22:25
I didn't mean to seem so harsh on Gareth, I think he will improve considerably by the next meeting and be nearer the front. I just realised in race 1 he stalled, so was a bit further back, same as in race 2 after contact with Stockton at the start, but did a good job in race 3 to keep up with the lead pack all the way to the flag. Sorry Gareth if you're reading I jumped too quickly.

Alfa Fan
2nd April 2007, 22:42
Motorbase Performance. Failed to live up to their expectations.

Iain
2nd April 2007, 22:46
Nobody disappointed me. First meeting of the year, many people in new cars, many new drivers. Give them a chance first.

Scuderia ferrari
2nd April 2007, 22:51
Defiently not Onslow-cole, he was great, another one to watch i think, a little in-experianced, but that will come in time.

Mike Jordan was quite dissapointing, i expected him to be right up there, fighting for big points, but he never was.

PDS
2nd April 2007, 22:53
I think you will find that Mike Jordan will be the first to admit his mind was some where else over the weekend!

EVOBOY
2nd April 2007, 22:57
biggest dissapointment for me was the the fact that Setanta Sport has been given the full days race coverage in place of Motors TV! I aint going to pay £15 per month for a channel just to watch the BTCC (as I am not interested in their golf & football coverage)....why oh why did Mr Gow give Setanta the contract?...........because they "flashed the cash" I suppose! :mad:

Iain
2nd April 2007, 22:59
Motors TV dropped it. Alan Gow didn't.

BDunnell
2nd April 2007, 23:12
Mike Jordan was quite dissapointing, i expected him to be right up there, fighting for big points, but he never was.

Well, he did get fourth (fifth on the road) in race one, and had caught Neal by the end; he was in the group battling over second place in race two, only to get taken off; and he then charged through into the top 10 in race three from the back of the grid, so I think that's pretty good.

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd April 2007, 23:34
To be honest, I feel the biggest disappointment of the day came on Saturday, not Sunday, when Eoin Murray was forced out of the weekend.

With the pace he had been showing up until his accident, he could easily have joined Jackson and Jones in taking the fight to the 'big boys'.

:up:

I was gutted when I saw Murray didn't make it to the grid.

The A-tech cars were surprisingly slow, but what can you expect when they have hardly turned a wheel.

I was also dissapionted with C.Turks start in race 1. I expected the R/wd BMW to rocket off the line like it does in the WTCC.

Iain
3rd April 2007, 01:08
It will rocket off the line when he gets used to it. He only drove the car for the first time last Monday and hadn't done any practice starts. He said the clutch is closer to a standard roadcar than the MGs was and that's something he has to adapt to. By race three he was slowly getting there.

tyreman2
3rd April 2007, 01:32

WHAT!! that is the most ridiculous statement I have seen in my time on this forum
you should be banned for bringing the forum into disripute
I don't think he is the best but he certainly isn't useless,and far better than Smith (who also isn't useless)

btracer
3rd April 2007, 01:37
Yea A-Tech were poor, but what were u expecting? Look at them(Alfa156's) in the WTCC they are poor cars now, harsh but true. Whilst good drivers I think Pinkney and the other bloke whos name has escaped me will admit that if Thommo cant keep up with works Seats then how can they!

MBailey06
3rd April 2007, 09:20
Yes but in both situations they hadn't been driving it long before the start of the season, and I expect them to improve as the season goes on.

CarlMetro
3rd April 2007, 11:28
I don't think there were any really disappointments, we saw some good quality close racing with decent battles all the way through the field and with one of the biggest starting grids I can remember for a first race of the year.

If there is any disappointment to be shown at all, and it is a very surprising one considering just how many times it's been done, then it was the lack of organisation on the car parks which meant that it took me over 1 and a half hours just to get out onto the road. Brands has been one of the better tracks in recent years, with the exception of the A1GP weekend last year, so I was somewhat surprised by the lack of parking marshalls controlling the free-for-all. I actually have a pair of tickets for the A1GP weekend but doubt whether I'm going to bother going because it was so bad when only half the expected crowd were there on Sunday :down:

Clark Trent
3rd April 2007, 12:33
I don't think I was disapointed with any drivers. Disappointed for a couple ie. Fiona and Murray. Fiona because if she had been able to finish both races 1 and 2 I think she would have been nearer the front in race 3. Murray for obvious reasons. Colin Turkington has my sympathy as he would have a lot more points had he not been punted off.
Biggest disappointment of the day was the carpark marshalling. Having taken all the ropes down that helped keep the roadways in some sort of order you had 15 cars all trying to get into the same spot. If you were considerate and let someone in you ended up letting 10 in. Not helped by only having one small gate for 3 carparks.

stevenlcroucher
3rd April 2007, 13:29
The Vectra was a big disappointment. Very quick in a straight line but seemed to struggle with the corners.

BTCC2
3rd April 2007, 14:17
On the subject of straight line speed, Mat Jacksons BMW according to MST Timing was by far the fastest.
In race 3
1. Jackson 125.4
2. Bell 122.9
3. Giovanardi 122.7
4. Allison 122.7
5. Kizilirmak 122.5
Compared to
20. Pocklington 117.7
21. Marsh 117.5
22. Stockton 116.7
23. Leggate 116.7
24. Kerry 109.1

norwichsam1
3rd April 2007, 19:46
for me the biggest dissapointment was the crowd size. Not that it seemed much smaller than usual but (and maybe it was just me expecting it) i had thought that this year with so many new teams etc we would have had a much bigger crowd especially given that the sun was out! Not only that but the general lack of stalls even promo girls etc meant the whole event seemed a bit low - key. I guess though the most important thing is the racing and that was definately the best start of a season for some years now, just a bit more off track effort from the teams would mean it feels more like the big sporting event it should be seen as.

Ian McC
3rd April 2007, 20:22
I actually have a pair of tickets for the A1GP weekend but doubt whether I'm going to bother going because it was so bad when only half the expected crowd were there on Sunday :down:

Well, if you are giving them away........ ;)

Ian McC
3rd April 2007, 20:24
Well, I am not complaining, had a great day, great racing, loved it! :D

norwichsam1
3rd April 2007, 20:45
please don't think i'm complaining, that was one of the best days racing for ages and all for 21 quid! when you think you could pay more than that for 90 minutes of football (and thats not even premier league) makes it seem even better! Great racing in every category on the bill, even the first fbmw race was a classic! who said single seaters can't overtake round brands indy!!