PDA

View Full Version : Test junior drivers!

steffforno
8th November 2012, 15:11
Davide Valsecchi topped the times for Lotus on the final day of Formula 1's young driver test in Abu Dhabi. The Italian, who won the GP2 title with DAMS this year, posted a time of 1m42.677s that was just 0.002 seconds quicker than Antonio Felix da Costa's best overall time on Wednesday for Red Bull. McLaren's Kevin Magnussen was second fastest at the Yas Marina Circuit, 0.150s behind Valsecchi. Magnussen was back in the car after topping the timesheets on the opening day. McLaren sporting director Sam Michael praised Magnussen's performance after the test, which was the young Dane's maiden Formula 1 outing. "His pace, consistency and engineering feedback were all excellent," said Michael. "Given his performance, he certainly didn't look like a guy who had never turned a wheel in a modern F1 car before the start of this week." Magnussen drove the car in the afternoon, while Oliver Turvey was in charge of testing duties in the morning. The Briton was fifth quickest. Sauber's Esteban Gutierrez finished in third position after completing 80 laps. A place behind him was Red Bull's Robin Frijns, who returned to action following his outing with Sauber on Tuesday. Luiz Razia returned to the wheel of the Toro Rosso he drove on the opening day to post the sixth quickest time of Thursday's session. The Brazilian, however, was running a fever and struggled during the day, although he still managed to complete his programme. American Alexander Rossi was slowest for Caterham after having to finish his day early due to oil on the garage floor when he returned to the pits after his 14th run. "That meant I didn't have the chance to do any performance runs and I'm sure if I did, my laptimes would have been close to the race drivers, but issues like that are just one of those things," said Rossi. "They'll take a proper look at what caused the problem and I'm sure it won't affect the team's preparations for Austin or Brazil."

1Davide Valsecchi Lotus-Renault 1'42”677 86
2Kevin Magnussen McLaren-Mercedes + 0"150 51
3Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari + 0"416 80
4Robin Frijns Red Bull-Renault + 0"556 53
5Oliver Turvey McLaren-Mercedes + 0"927 44
6Luiz Razia Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 2"609 68
7Alexander Rossi Caterham-Renault + 3"808 85

pino
8th November 2012, 16:06
I do hope he will get a 3rd driver role in a big Team. The boy has a great talent and Italy needs a seat in F1 soon ! :D

steffforno
8th November 2012, 16:46
I think too

gloomyDAY
8th November 2012, 19:43
Gary Paffett is young?

Can someone explain the young driver rules?

heliocastroneves#3
8th November 2012, 20:10
I hope Robin Frijns goes to F1, The Netherlands doesn't only a need a driver in F1 but also after all those years a successful one finally...

gm99
8th November 2012, 21:39
Gary Paffett is young?

Yeah, a bit ironic to call it young drivers test when you have Paffett and Nicolas Prost who are both 31 (same age as Alonso who has been in F1 for 11 years), while the reigning world champion is 25.

I am evil Homer
9th November 2012, 09:40
Paffett has also been shown to be average by two superior talents in Turvey and Magnusson. Would love to see Kevin in a third McLaren.

AndyL
9th November 2012, 11:53
Paffett has also been shown to be average by two superior talents in Turvey and Magnusson. Would love to see Kevin in a third McLaren.

We don't know that. There are two things going on at this test. The team are testing new drivers, and the experienced test driver is testing the car. We don't know how comparable the car configuration, fuel load etc. are between those two scenarios.

keysersoze
9th November 2012, 20:26
I realize the teams were testing themselves as much as drivers, so the actual time each set may mean less than if they were competing on a race weekend, but it's fun nevertheless to extrapolate something about driver talent. Here's my take:

Valsecchi was the most impressive, jumping into the car and on his only day posting the fastest time in the 3rd fastest car. He was 1.4 seconds down on Kimi's qualifying time, and .9 from Grosjean.

Both Van der Garde and Gutierrez were only a second from, Kovalainen and Perez's qualifying time, respectively, but since both have had significant seat time with those teams, I have to say DV was more impressive, though I was impressed with these two as well.

Magnussen was the fastest all week, by just .026, yet was 2 seconds down on Hamilton's best, and 1.4 down on Button. Still, excellent job.

da Costa was 1.7 from Vettel and Webber. Pretty solid.

Cecotto Jr was 1.8 from Ricciardo, but only .5 from Vergne. He looked vastly improved this past season racing for Barwa Addax, and I'd take him over Razia, who had two days in the car and was still slower.

Frijn got to drive both the RB8 (.4 slower than do Costa) and the Sauber (.7 slower than Gutierrez). I rated him in the bottom half of this field--what do I not get about him?

truefan72
9th November 2012, 21:48
the young driver test is a joke
1. some of the drivers as mentioned above are not too young
2. there really is no real driver testing going on, but rather car testing for the remainder of the season. This was nothing more than a masked late season test for the teams, many of which chose to test new developments for the car. And therefore I read nothing into the times and come away with absolutely on idea about the quality of the bunch or their future in F1.

jens
10th November 2012, 17:55
Leaving the tests aside and generally looking at the feeder series, IMO the most impressive young drivers this season have been Robin Frijns and Antonio Felix da Costa.

Frijns was on his debut season in FR3.5, but already beat the likes of Bianchi and Bird, who are experienced and have been regular front-runners already in GP2. This is a stunning achievement. If someone creates you an impression of "wow, he is the real deal!", it has got to be him. Looking forward to seeing him in F1 one day.

Da Costa has been around for a few years and didn't really stand out until... the second half of 2012. I don't really know, how did he turn it around (everything must have clicked suddenly - good team, efficient co-operation there, perhaps generally good training/preparation as a new RB junior driver; he himself has gained sufficient experience to reach a higher level, etc), but he suddenly started racking up lots of race wins in both GP3 and FR3.5. In any case, big favourite for the FR3.5 title in 2013 and he is the next man in line to join Toro Rosso in the future.

Others?

Some have mentioned Valsecchi. Well sorry, I don't think he is going anywhere. He has been around for ages and has never really impressed much.

truefan72
12th November 2012, 17:29
tbo, i do think Valsecchi is the next F1 ready driver out there
I watched many of the GP2 races and came away impressed by not only his quickness and winning, but how he manged many of the races, stayed out of trouble for the most part, and often worked his way up the grid to a podium, without many of the bonehead tactics others around him where making.

Tazio
13th November 2012, 02:59
Ferrari not exactly sitting on their hands.

following two similar straightline aerodynamic outings recently, Ferrari has been back in action at the Idiada facility in Spain.

At the wheel of the car was Frenchman Jules Bianchi, who as well as being Force India's test driver is also in Ferrari's development 'academy'.

Marca said Bianchi was testing a new rear wing and diffuser, while other Spanish reports said the F2012 featured even more new parts than that.
F1: Bianchi Tests Ferrari Improvements For Alonso (http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-jules-bianchi-tests-ferrari-improvements-for-fernando-alonso/)
Not the most reliable source and I don't know what to make of "even more new parts" if anything. :bandit:

Roamy
13th November 2012, 03:06
I hope Robin Frijns goes to F1, The Netherlands doesn't only a need a driver in F1 but also after all those years a successful one finally...

forget it Kass Kopt you have a national 50 mph speed limit :) :)