PDA

View Full Version : Driver Of The Day

BTCC2
2nd April 2007, 13:18
So who was your driver of the day as Brands yesterday.

Jason Plato
Matt Neal
Mat Jackson
Adam Jones
Colin Turkington
Tom Chilton
Fabrizio Giovanardi
Tom Onslow Cole
Mike Jordan
Darren Turner

Rusty
2nd April 2007, 13:21
Between 2, Matt Jackson and Adam Jones but i'll go for Matt, superb debut and i'm sure theres a lot more in that car yet...

BTCC2
2nd April 2007, 13:23
I would have to agree with Mat Jackson, although Plato was fantastic.

Rusty
2nd April 2007, 13:25
I would have to agree with Mat Jackson, although Plato was fantastic.

Yeah and i'm a JP fan aswell... but it was expected by him Matt was just Awesome all day...

BeansBeansBeans
2nd April 2007, 13:25
Personally, I'd pick Jason Plato.

He drove perfectly in races 1 & 2 to score strong victories and drove a clever race 3, avoiding trouble and picking up places when others made mistakes.

He seems to have realised what Matt Neal has known for the last two season - ie. winning lots of races is all very well, but scoring in every round is equally important.

Honourable mentions must go to to Mr Neal, Mr Jones and Mr Jackson. There were a lot of strong performances yesterday.

reidy_fan
2nd April 2007, 13:28
mat Jackson real BTCC debut 2 3rd places (okay was robbed by the COC with the race 1 one) got his head up and went from back of grid to 8th in race 2, missed pole by a bawhair in race 3 but still went from 8th to 3rd.

The mad monk
2nd April 2007, 13:46
Thank you all for those comments,we had a good time!
Would like to think Matt and team(including myself)may inherit the previous mantle held by Dynamics of being the peoples/fans team;its a tight team,family owned,utilising good well-experienced personnel with no bullsxxt,and keeping the whole process simple and uncomplicated.Too many try to re-invent the wheel sometimes!
and of course,Matt has developed into someone pretty special;I'm proud of that and its a pleasure to be the underdog fighting the establishment.
We believe we can do better than Brands tho,hope so.
CH

VkmSpouge
2nd April 2007, 13:56
I would have to go for Mat Jackson just ahead of Adam Jones. Had it not been for his disqualification in race 1 he might very well had gotten 3 podiums yesterday. Adam Jones is a very close second. He's had little testing in the car and was very good in it. Chris Stockton is third.

cazvxr
2nd April 2007, 14:18
Race 3 at the back of the pack there were some terrfic battles going on.Fiona Leggate after she came off drove like a woman possessed and done well.Chris Stockton did well too.

BDunnell
2nd April 2007, 14:32
It's got to be Jackson. He was a revelation to me. Other than him, Plato drove very sensibly and very well; Neal obviously performed brilliantly; and Jones was a class act (I was convinced he'd be either second or third out of the Toledo drivers, rather than a clear first.)

WSRfan82
2nd April 2007, 14:41
as im a WSR FAN i would say turkington but im not going to be biased so is going to be Matt Jackson one hell of a driver

unsung hero
2nd April 2007, 15:03
they both drove like true pros. Even though F.L was taken out by a novice who didn't like being taken by a girl racer in race 1 sat out race 2 and came from the back in race3 to take the boy who took her out in race 1 and her lap times were within that of the top 12 and that was with a damaged car so just thinkl what she could do with a straight car. Martyn was outstanding only one mistake but proved that his bema is powerful with a great move on the shed who dosen't seem to like or be able to get to grips with the new car. Matt Neals weekend went well just staying out of trouble and thaen whipping asses in the last race. My championship top four are as follows Matt Neal or Matt Jackson, Plato and Jones

BeansBeansBeans
2nd April 2007, 15:07
the shed who dosen't seem to like or be able to get to grips with the new car.

Give him a chance, the car was only finished on Thursday and he's had next to no seat-time.

I disagree with almost everything you've said, particularly regarding Kizillrmak. To suggest that there was some sexist motive behind his collision with Leggate is plainly ridiculous.

CroftPilgrim
2nd April 2007, 15:25
I'd say Matt Neal.

His fastest lap in the race he won was a half second off his closest rivals. He obviously hasn't got the fastest car over 1 lap (yet) but he drove consistently and sensibly to get victory. A great drive by a true champion.

unsung hero
2nd April 2007, 15:29
wasn,t only finished on Thursday thats what the team wants everybody else to think. The move that the turk made was not sexist but to hit her car twice at that speed and send her flying was a novice and dangerous move and those actions are not what we want to see in this level of the sport these drivers aren't novices but that was a novice move

BeansBeansBeans
2nd April 2007, 15:39
wasn,t only finished on Thursday thats what the team wants everybody else to think.

If that's true, when was it finished? And why haven't they been testing it?

ADnet
2nd April 2007, 15:43
Matt Jackson Without a doubt! 3rd race one, back to 8th race to and 3rd race 3! :D

DJS
2nd April 2007, 15:58
Erk the Turk seems like a nice guy but the move on Lego did seem abit suspect to me, was a protest submitted?

Plato drove as expected, Turner disappointing, Neal played it safe in the most ugliest car to grace the BTCC, Lego had a great last race and has to be better now she is in a better car and better team, Bell did swell and looks like he will be putting in some could performances compared to last year, Stockon must of been running with NOS, so the person I am most excited about from the first round is Jackson although my opinion will probably change come The Rock!

nightwish
2nd April 2007, 16:28
I expected Jason Plato to do well yesterday,i didnt expect Mat Jackson to drive so well.Unlucky to be disqualified in race 1 so Mat Jackson my driver of the day.

unsung hero
2nd April 2007, 17:48
somebody close to dynamics let some thing slip out at one of the press days i'm not going to say which 1 maybe brands or rock but this info if you remember the picture in autosport mag of the shell nearly completed that picture was a month old and it had been testeed behind closed doors at a track up north. As you can test with no press knowledge

Reply to DJS AboUt protest there maybe no tech speed at the Rock due to no driver. After a report from a Observer made but thats not 100% confirmed but about 70% true

Allyc85
2nd April 2007, 18:05
Mat Jackson with out a doubt for me, great pace all weekend :D

Brooklands78
2nd April 2007, 18:38
Matt Jackson for me, too - such a shame that the COC was a bit "flag happy" - very unneccessary! Adam Jones had a great day, too, showing what he's capable of now that he's got a decent car. Pity he couldn't hang on to 2nd place in race 3 but maybe, with a bit more experience of running at the front of the pack, he'll learn not to be intimidated by the "big boys"! Mentions too for Chris Stockton, Martyn Bell and Fiona Leggate (for her recovery in race 3)

SEATFreak
2nd April 2007, 18:56
Mat Jackson!!!! :up:

Haddock
2nd April 2007, 21:12
I'll jump on the bandwagon and nominate Mat Jackson too.

Also of note - Plato for two wins from the two opening races - very measured drives. Matt Neal, for winning at the first meeting in a completely new car (he might have been my driver of the day if it hadn't been for his indulging in a bit of bumping and boring) Adam Jones, who showed well in the Toledo and Mike Jordan, for showing that old clubmen can keep up with the best of them in the BTCC

unsung hero
3rd April 2007, 08:31
the driver and team of the day with out a doubt has to be Fiona and kart world she got knocked out of the first race by a un called for attack by an ex european champion who should know better but obviuosly had some problem with being passed by his predecessor in that team as that wouldn't do. Then sat out the 2nd race with Kart World working like true pros were as any other team would have gone home then in the third race over took ex works cars ex champions and brand new world touring car spec alfas so this has to be the fight of a true racer/champion to be so end of disscusion. Obviosly Matt jackson did well but his car is newer and the MG'S ARE THE OLDEST CARS ON THE GRID 4 YEARS OLD TO BE EXACT

tyreman2
3rd April 2007, 09:09
the driver and team of the day with out a doubt has to be Fiona and kart world she got knocked out of the first race by a un called for attack by an ex european champion who should know better but obviuosly had some problem with being passed by his predecessor in that team as that wouldn't do. Then sat out the 2nd race with Kart World working like true pros were as any other team would have gone home then in the third race over took ex works cars ex champions and brand new world touring car spec alfas so this has to be the fight of a true racer/champion to be so end of disscusion. Obviosly Matt jackson did well but his car is newer and the MG'S ARE THE OLDEST CARS ON THE GRID 4 YEARS OLD TO BE EXACT

Dream on!

MBailey06
3rd April 2007, 09:26
I think someone is a fan of Fiona Leggate!

BeansBeansBeans
3rd April 2007, 09:48

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Leggate and her team did well to get the car repaired for race three, but that doesn't make her the driver of the day, in my view.

unsung hero
3rd April 2007, 10:22
I have a lot of respect for F.L as she is in a male dominated sport and is doing very well and also I have a lot of respect for Martyn Bell, Matt Neal, Adam Jones, Jason Hughes and Matt Jackson. so I'm a fan of all of these drivers plus Paul O'Niel and its about time somebody gave him his chance to shine not Tech Speed but maybe VXR he's alot better than Giovanni

BeansBeansBeans
3rd April 2007, 10:49
I have a lot of respect for F.L as she is in a male dominated sport and is doing very well and also I have a lot of respect for Martyn Bell, Matt Neal, Adam Jones, Jason Hughes and Matt Jackson. so I'm a fan of all of these drivers plus Paul O'Niel and its about time somebody gave him his chance to shine not Tech Speed but maybe VXR he's alot better than Giovanni

I also like Paul O'Neill, but he certainly isn't better than Fabrizio Giovanardi.

CarlMetro
3rd April 2007, 11:13
somebody close to dynamics let some thing slip out at one of the press days i'm not going to say which 1 maybe brands or rock but this info if you remember the picture in autosport mag of the shell nearly completed that picture was a month old and it had been testeed behind closed doors at a track up north. As you can test with no press knowledge

Reply to DJS AboUt protest there maybe no tech speed at the Rock due to no driver. After a report from a Observer made but thats not 100% confirmed but about 70% true

Well when you've got actual proof of either of those points, come back and tell us. Until then keep the rumours to the rumours thread :rolleyes:

Personally I thought Tom Chilton did well in the Vectra, Matt Neal did well in the Civic and Darren Turner under-performed and seemed to take a few 'racing' lessons from Rob Collard during the off-season too. But like many others I thought that Matt Jackson was exceptional. I doubt if there was a better 2nd hand S2000 spec car available on the market but he certainly showed he has the ability to mix it up with drivers who have been racing this level for many more years than himself.

Clark Trent
3rd April 2007, 12:47
For me it had to be Matt Jackson. Small team, new car, new to the series driver, new tyres for the car, and 2 thirds and a fight from last to 8th makes an outstanding performance in my book.
I must admit I was pleasantly surprised that the BMWs did so well on the Dunlop tyres as no one has made a BMW handle on them before.
Very impressed with Adam Jones too but Matt pips him.

thompp
3rd April 2007, 13:10
I thought Matt Neal's start at Race three was the move of the day. He did brilliantly to thread between the two lead cars to cleanly grab P1 and hold on till the chequered flag, defending well on the last lap against Fabrizio. It was an amazing result considering the car was still almost fresh out of the packing.

My only concern about the weekend was that all three races were effectively decided by what happened at the start. If CT had made a good start in race one he could have very well won both the first two races.

BTCC2
3rd April 2007, 14:07
I think someone is a fan of Fiona Leggate!

I think someones in love with Fiona Leggate! :D

Come on unsung hero be realistic, you can't honestly thing that Leggate did a better job than, Plato/Jackson/Neal/Jones/Turkington. Otherwise she would have been up there with them.