PDA

View Full Version : 50 years of the BTCC

BDunnell
2nd April 2007, 10:36
Was I the only person to think it a bit odd for ITV to be marking 50 years of the BTCC this year?

In my book, the important thing is not the 50th year of something, but the 50th anniversary of that something, if you see what I mean! Surely the 50th anniversary of the first British Saloon Car Championship race, which occurs in 2008, is the one to celebrate?

CroftPilgrim
2nd April 2007, 10:36
Youre not the only one - I thought it was odd too. They're a year too early.

KILOHMUNNS
2nd April 2007, 13:37
Most definately. All literature including BTCC.net website states that it offically started in 1958. Or it is a couple of yaer too late if it was for the start of Saloon car championships, as there were a few small club championships pre 1957.

VkmSpouge
2nd April 2007, 13:54
Was I the only person to think it a bit odd for ITV to be marking 50 years of the BTCC this year?

In my book, the important thing is not the 50th year of something, but the 50th anniversary of that something, if you see what I mean! Surely the 50th anniversary of the first British Saloon Car Championship race, which occurs in 2008, is the one to celebrate?

I guess they're celebrating the 50th championship season rather than the 50th anniversary itself.

BDunnell
2nd April 2007, 14:23
I guess they're celebrating the 50th championship season rather than the 50th anniversary itself.

Indeed. I think this is the wrong thing to do.

BeansBeansBeans
2nd April 2007, 14:58
Indeed. I think this is the wrong thing to do.

I think ITV were probably trying to think of something to 'beef-up' their coverage, so decided to exploit the fact that it's the 50th season.

From now on, I'll be following this trend and shall be celebrating my 28th year this year, instead of actually waiting until december for my birthday.

BDunnell
2nd April 2007, 15:04
From now on, I'll be following this trend and shall be celebrating my 28th year this year, instead of actually waiting until december for my birthday.

Exactly!

WSRfan82
2nd April 2007, 15:09
spot on beansbeansbeans