PDA

View Full Version : Gt1 Alms 2007

Funks
10th December 2006, 15:13
What real news is there on Corvette and Aston Martin for next year?
After rumours of them both pulling out, the latest I have read is that Corvette are almost certain to contest ALMS next season whilst Aston are likley to continue despite the disappearance of Pirelli.
Anybody here in a position to comment on the truth rather than the rumours?

Sleeper
10th December 2006, 15:32
I think Aston are going to continue, havnt heard anything to the contrary at least.

As for Chevy, they say they are waiting to hear what the rule makers are going to do for the performance balancing next year, as it was a complete joke with the changes at every race almost this year. Their other option would be the LMS.

harvick#1
10th December 2006, 18:39
Aston and Corvette should be back, or else there will be no GT1 class in ALMS

Subaru WRX
10th December 2006, 18:57
the GT1 class is in a critical phase the past 2 years, I frankly I don't think that things will improve for 2007, 2 constructors thats very poor for the 1st sports car series in the world

harvick#1
10th December 2006, 19:12
ALMS, is gone, hopefully they can merge with LMES and run some events here in the states

Subaru WRX
10th December 2006, 19:44
sorry but better leaving things as they are, as creating some sort of "world championship" will hurt a lot the smallest teams of the LMS, which can't affrod a trip to the States !

Peter Olivola
10th December 2006, 21:56
Gone? What in the world are you talking about?

ALMS, is gone, hopefully they can merge with LMES and run some events here in the states

harvick#1
10th December 2006, 23:21
in the GT1 class, two manufacturers with 4 cars, in a 8-12 race calendar, yeah thats very bad. LMES, is sort of the same way, (with alot of Privateers) but they also have the Ferrari teams in there

Peter Olivola
11th December 2006, 00:16
Practicing your hyperbole? To what end?

in the GT1 class, two manufacturers with 4 cars, in a 8-12 race calendar, yeah thats very bad. LMES, is sort of the same way, (with alot of Privateers) but they also have the Ferrari teams in there

harvick#1
11th December 2006, 00:24
Practicing your hyperbole? To what end?

also if ALMS keeps changing the rules after each race Corvette teams will just leave.

harvick#1
11th December 2006, 01:23
http://www.mariantic.co.uk/lmp/

just look at the entry list between the LMES and ALMS for '07. you'll find out there is alot more teams are involved with the LMES in every category.

Road Endurance Racing just hasn't hit it off yet with other big name teams and manufactorers. I hope that the ALMS can get their act together and find a way to succeed in improving their series.

Peter Olivola
11th December 2006, 01:54
Based on what, the complaints from the teams? You mean like the annual NASCAR lobbying that goes on? Try a little logical consistency. The people at Chevrolet responsible for the Corvette program work alongside the people at Chevrolet responsible for the NASCAR program and I know you know about the annual NASCAR lobbying whine-fest.

also if ALMS keeps changing the rules after each race Corvette teams will just leave.

harvick#1
11th December 2006, 02:07
yep, they should just race instead of whine

Hoss Ghoul
11th December 2006, 02:44
Well, I can't speak to any facts, but the rumours being reported a month or so ago were that Corvette wanted to continue racing in the ALMS but had become more than a little annoyed at all the rule changes they viewed as unfair. Consequently they were considering campaigning in the LMES for a year as that could also further their marketing aims.

I sure hope they stay in the ALMS.

Privateers are another possibility I suppose.

I also like what Penske had to say in an interview on SpeedTV a month or two back. He basically was wanting a true prototype class and a single GT class, IIRC....anyone else read that?

EDIT: Here's the link to the article on Speed: http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/alms/33724/

Penske: “I’d like to see a consistent series where we have a set of rules that would be for five years. The American Le Mans Series is being dictated by a rulebook from the ACO [organizing club for Le Mans]. We are a lot different with four-hour races and one or two 12-hour ones versus a 24-hour race. It’s not completely consistent. I’m of the mind that we need to have one pure prototype class and one for coupes like the Corvettes and Porsches and Aston Martins. I think the excitement of the racing if everybody had the same power and had different-looking chassis and different-looking engine, I think it would take the sport another 100 feet high."

grassrootsracer
11th December 2006, 03:04
Merging the two GT classes would be interesting, becoming something like GT3.

Subaru WRX
11th December 2006, 04:12
Merging the two GT classes would be interesting, becoming something like GT3.
I dislike this idea, like the Grand Am did at the end of 2004, as now they have a single GT class :p

Hoss Ghoul
11th December 2006, 04:19
I dislike this idea, like the Grand Am did at the end of 2004, as now they have a single GT class :p

If done right I think it would work. As it is GT2 is almost pointless, just a Porsche Cup race. I'd rather watch Corvette's, Aston Martin's, Porsche's, etc all running in one class. Something akin to Speed World Challenge GT on steroids, or halfway between current GT1 and GT2. That type of class would probably bring in more manufacturers and help privateers bring other marques into the series.

Subaru WRX
11th December 2006, 04:39
sorry but the GT2 class is more than a Porsche Cup, look at the FIA GT, where the factory Ferrari team, AF Corse won the GT2 championship, or at this year Le Mans 24, where a Panoz Esperante won the class.

for sure GT1 is strugling a lot in ALMS, but the GT2 is the most beautifull one in all 4 classes, try to follow it in 2007 and you will see

Hoss Ghoul
11th December 2006, 04:54
sorry but the GT2 class is more than a Porsche Cup, look at the FIA GT, where the factory Ferrari team, AF Corse won the GT2 championship, or at this year Le Mans 24, where a Panoz Esperante won the class.

for sure GT1 is strugling a lot in ALMS, but the GT2 is the most beautifull one in all 4 classes, try to follow it in 2007 and you will see

The Panoz's only became competitive this year after a rule change severely handicapped the Porsche's.

I like GT2, if anything I think a single GT class should be closer to that level than GT1, keep the cars running essentially stock bodies, etc.

Subaru WRX
11th December 2006, 05:03
the future of GT racing, I think is in the GT2 and GT3 classes, as GT1 is becoming too expensive and it is very difficult to have new comers to challenge Aston Martin and Corvette, as they are now : full factory teams.

ZzZzZz
11th December 2006, 11:56
I seem to recall a Ferrari winning the GT2 class at Laguna... Some guy named Mika Salo co-drove that thing. How boring.

ALMS may have some problems, but they are growing. P2 is gonna be a blast next year.

harvick#1
11th December 2006, 14:42
P2 will be the best class for racing next year, hopefully, then GT2, P1, and GT1.

Funks
11th December 2006, 20:58
So, supposedly Rickard Rydell is lined up to drive for Aston Martin then. That's interesting!

Funks
13th January 2007, 12:05
Time has ticked on and still nothing is known. This is most distressing. :(

Abel Karaj
13th January 2007, 13:00
All 4 Aston Martin drivers have signed elsewhere.

That's really bad... :(

Funks
13th January 2007, 15:36
There must be a dozen or so DBR9s in existence? At this stage. not one of them looks as though they will enter ALMS... it would appear they must all be looking at doing either LMES or FIA GT.
I suppose somebody may yet realise that by entering GT1 ALMS they can get a guaranteed invite to Le Mans 2008. That's IF there is going to be a GT1 class in ALMS of course.

harvick#1
13th January 2007, 16:32
if Aston Martin is not going to race, Corvette will most likely be headed to LMES

Funks
13th January 2007, 16:52
What do the rules say about classes? How many entrants must there be to constitute a 'class'? Could there be a 'class' if just two entrants took part? :s

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2007, 19:51
Subaru, I don't care to watch half the cars in GT2/3. They are fun only when they are not being passed by the prototypes and the GT-1's.

GT-1 though maybe going the way of a do-do bird. I like Penske's idea, one GT class, one Prototype class and see what happens.

As for Corvette pulling out, articles and interviews with Ron Fellows in the local papers have not even brought up the subject, and Ron would say what was going on if there was an issue. He was pretty vocal last year about how the Aston's were given a lot of advantages the Pratt and Miller boys with the Vette's were unhappy about. This year, I have heard nothing.....

harvick#1
13th January 2007, 21:18
here is Oliver Gavin's interview with the issue: http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/alms/34761/

Also Zytek maybe going to a GT class
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56261

ZzZzZz
14th January 2007, 03:30
It would be up to the ACO to change the class structure, not IMSA.

With the Le Mans invitations and prize money (and trophies), expect a couple cars to show up. (And a couple more for the prestige races.)

This is a problem that will self-correct - to a degree. That's an advantage of having four classes. A couple of them can be weak without threatening the existence of the series.

Funks
14th January 2007, 10:50
Sure, that's true. But for a Brit that has plans to come to Petit and Laguna in October.... I'd have liked to have been there supporting an Aston or 2.
If that fails to materialise then there are other people to cheer on though.

Hoss Ghoul
15th January 2007, 09:19
Sure, that's true. But for a Brit that has plans to come to Petit and Laguna in October.... I'd have liked to have been there supporting an Aston or 2.
If that fails to materialise then there are other people to cheer on though.

Shame to come all the way to my turf(Laguna) to support a loser like Aston Martin.... :p :

Funks
15th January 2007, 17:08
Well, sometimes we have to let the Americans win on their own turf in their own cars.... :p :

harvick#1
17th January 2007, 19:21
corvette has announced that they will participate in the ALMS this year, so the GT1 will have at least 2 cars

trumperZ06
17th January 2007, 20:17
:D YEP, Corvette's are coming back !!!

Funks
17th January 2007, 21:43
Well, that's something to be pleased about. Now I'd like to see someone take the plunge and enter against them. Any possibilty that the BMS Aston may turn up in ALMS? They were testing at Sebring a few weeks back. There are plenty of other warm-ish climates in Europe they might have tested at but instead they went all the way to the US. Their websote says that they have an agreement to run in FIA GT until 2008 but it made me wonder if Aston were going to semi-fund them to switch to ALMS - especially as there is another new DBR9 entry in FIA GT from UK team Barwell Motorsport.

motowriter
17th January 2007, 23:01
How is Corvette racing against no one good news?
I would rather see them do the LMS or FIA GT.

VAG and GM should be ashamed. They would rather run exhibitions than race.

ALMS should have just two classes. LMP(2) and GT(2)

tannat
18th January 2007, 00:54
Why isn't Saleen racing the S7R in the ALMS? Has it lost it's ACO homologation? I remember it being fairly competitive in the early nineties, and not so competitive 2 or 3 years ago...

I'd rather have seen Porsche build a GTS car than an LMP2 car....

Maybe if Toyota flounders a bit more in F1 they'll return to sportscar racing

Whither Lotus?

James

RS Spyder
18th January 2007, 07:51
All this is a direct consequence of having 4 seperate and independant classes racing in one race but not really racing against each other. It may make for good marketing (to try and get more fans), but in reality, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to get 4 (or even 3) decently populated and competitive classes. (it also make a mockery of the concept of outright "overall" winner, as that position is only really accessible to 1 of the 4 classes racing)
What happened to the simple concept of having 2 major clases(Prototypes and GT's) each on being split into subclasses (P2 and GT2) where each of the subclasses reflect a different philosophy (i.e. P1 & GT1- big engines, heavier cars and P2 & GT2- smaller engines, lighter cars) for attaining the same goal.
In the Gt class, the goal is to attain a GT class victory, and in Protoptypes tha ultimate goal is to attain an outright "overall" win.

I know that this has been tried before, but I'm not sure that it was managed in the best of ways.
All concepts, even good ones, can be condemed to failure by poor management and excessive regulation (and intervention).

N.B. this is just an opionion. It is neither intended to mock or offend, but rather an attempt to generate ideas for change.

Funks
18th January 2007, 19:46
How is Corvette racing against no one good news?
I would rather see them do the LMS or FIA GT.

VAG and GM should be ashamed. They would rather run exhibitions than race.

ALMS should have just two classes. LMP(2) and GT(2)

Racing against nobody isn't good...

News of them entering is good though - because there ought to be a slim chance that it'll attract other people to the class.

I live in hope but I shall not hold my breath.

Mark in Oshawa
19th January 2007, 17:15
Why should GM be ashamed? They have kept the class alive. When a team spends what GM has keeping the Pratt and Miller boys in the series, it is ALMS and the organizers and LeMans that should reexamine their stewardship of the sport. Why is a class that is designed for manufacturers to show their prowess getting so little interest?

tannat
19th January 2007, 21:25
Why is a class that is designed for manufacturers to show their prowess getting so little interest?

The class is getting interest elsewhere (LMES, FIA GT)...

I fear it's our country that's not getting the interest. No one wants to race in the US...

trumperZ06
20th January 2007, 13:13
;) Hhmmmm... we have Porsche supplying TWO teams this year in ALMS, and Honda will support THREE new teams competing against Porsche in LMP2. Radical's here too.

With Honda's entry... Toyota may be the next manufacturer to jump into ALMS...

:D Now if the Vipers & Aston Martins return to GT1... along with Ferrari, we could have some additional excitement.

Mark in Oshawa
21st January 2007, 02:15
The class is getting interest elsewhere (LMES, FIA GT)...

I fear it's our country that's not getting the interest. No one wants to race in the US...

People want to road race in the US. European teams however who want to compete at the top level have no choices in sports car racing..

In the USA, I think the Grand Am series is taking away a lot of sportscar teams that would have been in IMSA/ALMS all along. Lets face it, it is cheaper, and if you cant afford to get factory support to run ALMS, you can get some money to put a manufacturers motor in a Grand Am car, and away you go. What is more, the series is now starting to gain notierity as a definate driver's destination, with a lot of ex Indy and Champ Car drivers, so the level of racing is rising.

It is too simple to say GT-1 is dying merely because no manufacturer wants to race in the US. I think, for the money you spend in Grand AM, or in Prototypes, you can get more exposure and/or chances of success. Beating the Pratt and Miller Vettes and the Aston's has been a VERY tough game, and I just think that factory support would be needed to compete. Most American car makers cant be bothered.....and the European or Japanese makes are doing it elsewhere.

Bob Riebe
21st January 2007, 08:11
People want to road race in the US. European teams however who want to compete at the top level have no choices in sports car racing..

In the USA, I think the Grand Am series is taking away a lot of sportscar teams that would have been in IMSA/ALMS all along. Lets face it, it is cheaper, and if you cant afford to get factory support to run ALMS, you can get some money to put a manufacturers motor in a Grand Am car, and away you go. What is more, the series is now starting to gain notierity as a definate driver's destination, with a lot of ex Indy and Champ Car drivers, so the level of racing is rising.

It is too simple to say GT-1 is dying merely because no manufacturer wants to race in the US. I think, for the money you spend in Grand AM, or in Prototypes, you can get more exposure and/or chances of success. Beating the Pratt and Miller Vettes and the Aston's has been a VERY tough game, and I just think that factory support would be needed to compete. Most American car makers cant be bothered.....and the European or Japanese makes are doing it elsewhere.

GARRA is similar to the IRL for exposure.
IRL has Indy; GARRA has Daytona.
Beyond that few know,or care about either.

Now GARRA has become a bit of a semi-pro version of the SCCA national in the lower classes, and Daytona is kinda like the SCCA run-offs, only for money.
It is a giant club event where the boys club, gets to play for money.

Difference between the two.
The Indy 500, still gets a fair amount of press; the Daytona race, on a good year here, now is down to a paragraph.

GARRA offers major league teams, not connected to the France boys, nothing, and Chevy made a public statement that they want nothing to do with tube frame pretend cars.

The IMSA is hurting?
Hell yes. As long as they dick around with the ACO version of spec. racing, it will go nowhere fast.
GARRA, a giant for money club race, nothing more.
Bob