PDA

View Full Version : Swearing

Mark
4th November 2012, 19:47
Kimi you can expect to be a potty mouth. But Seb too?

Tazio
4th November 2012, 19:52
The term that Seb used is more of an obscenity; didn't Kimi just use the term sh!t or did he also use Fvck :confused:

Triumph
4th November 2012, 19:53
I was a little surprised to hear that too. Sebastian is fluent enough in English (more fluent than a lot of English people I know!) so would have known perfectly well what he was saying. Same for Kimi too really, but more so with Sebastian as he is particularly well in tune with English culture.

The last time I remember expletives along those lines was Fisichella calling someone a 'f****** w*****' over he radio at (I think) Spa!

Mark
4th November 2012, 20:06
The last time I remember was Kimi himself saying he'd been for a s**t IIRC

Tazio
4th November 2012, 20:27
On the speed TV broadcast they censored what Kimi said, but missed Vettel and he quite clearly bandied the F word like some common freakin' "chav" :laugh:

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 20:34
Well, people, what do you want? Some streamlined media automaton or people, who say **** when they feel like it? Gimme the swearing any time. And besides, Kimmi was absolutely epic on the team radio :D I nearly pissed my pants laughing.

"kimmi you have to work all four tires"
"STFU idiot, what does it look like I'm doing here" *ROFL*

DexDexter
4th November 2012, 20:35
Come on boys, they all know what those words mean, it's just that cultural norms in different countries vary and saying s***t isn't a big deal, for example, here in Finland. English has become the Lingua franca, so British or US norms don't really apply anymore. Having said that, Vettel's F***k sounded so much worse than Kimi's remark.

D-Type
4th November 2012, 20:38
David Coulthard and Jake Humphrey "apologising" for the bad languge only drew attention to it. It would have been far better to say nothing and bollock the drivers later. they are both fluent enough in English to know the boundaries of what they should not say

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 20:49
**** it, we had enough of that sissy boy political correctness stuff. I want the lot of them to swear the raw **** out of each other. :D

A.F.F.
4th November 2012, 21:36
What did Sebastien say? And in what context?

donKey jote
4th November 2012, 21:45
He saw Kimi and thought Another F'ing Finn :andrea: :p

RearSlip
Something like "we tried not to [eff] up" or something like that.

Bagwan
What did Sebastien say? And in what context?

He dropped the "F" bomb on live worldwide TV . Does the context matter ?

Kimi , we expect to be a touch raw , but not the "F" bomb .

Dumb mistake for Seb . He will likely suffer sanction for that one , and should .

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 21:51
Bull****. There we have three guys, who've been running on pure adrenaline for 55 laps and we expect them to be media drones? That's utter male bovine excrement.

Tazio
4th November 2012, 21:55
Bull****. There we have three guys, who've been running on pure adrenaline for 55 laps and we expect them to be media drones? That's utter male bovine excrement.You're a ****ing pussy so don't even try to act all tough and **** ;)

Alfa Fan
4th November 2012, 22:06
He dropped the "F" bomb on live worldwide TV . Does the context matter ?

Kimi , we expect to be a touch raw , but not the "F" bomb .

Dumb mistake for Seb . He will likely suffer sanction for that one , and should .

It's really not that big a deal.

Tazio
4th November 2012, 22:15
Sebastian Vettel: "I'm terribly sorry for using the wrong word on the podium today and I'm sorry if I have offended anyone who was watching. In the heat of the moment, I didn't use the right words and I apologise. I'll do better next time.

http://www.redbullracing.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Article/Message-from-Sebastian-021243279032246
:rolleyes:

Big Ben
4th November 2012, 22:17
vettel's a spoiled brat... what can you do? they should ask him only yes or no questions... he probably thought he was being cool or something

egonzinc
4th November 2012, 22:18
Kimmi's was more subtle, who can understand the guy anyway!
Vettel's was very surprising. I get a feeling that the drivers HATE these podium interviews.
Before they would get to hydrate and then sit in a studio to answer post race questions.

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 22:19
You're a ****ing pussy so don't even try to act all tough and **** ;)

very mature post there dottore :D

Tazio
4th November 2012, 22:25
very mature post there dottore :D
Fight me in Austin about it then! :s mash: :champion: :D

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 22:26
vettel's a spoiled brat... what can you do? they should ask him only yes or no questions... he probably thought he was being cool or something

You'd probably find something bad to say about him if he just breathed. I'm sorry if I come across like a rabid vettel fanboy, frothing at the mouth. I aint, but if a fellow countryman is smeared, denigrated and decried like he has been today, I'm going up in arms. I'm gonna fight that till the bitter end, because it is utterly undeserved. So Kimmi swearing on the podium was cool, but Vettel is a spoiled brat. Explain that logic to me. Other than blind nationalistic hatred, you'll probably run out of excuses.

MrJan
4th November 2012, 22:35
Kimi's swear felt more 'natural' for some reason.

I get the feeling that Seb is trying too hard to be liked at times. In the after race bit before the podium (when they all get hats, towels and watches) none of the drivers seem to interact with him very well. A lot of the others seem quite friendly but it all seems forced with Vettel.

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 22:36

I will, dottore, I will :D Although we might end up celebrating the same winner. Unlike most in here, i'd be equally happy for an Alonso win as for a Vettel win. Both of them have thoroughly deserved it and on top of that, we've seen the most exciting season for over twenty years :D

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 22:41

That's the biggest load of bull**** I've ever heard. Swearing is natural for everyone. We all do it. But we unleash a holier than thou attitude when others do it. Show me the guy who never swears and then show me the guy who doesn't swear after the hardest race of the season.

Tazio
4th November 2012, 22:59
That's the biggest load of bull**** I've ever heard. Swearing is natural for everyone. We all do it. But we unleash a holier than thou attitude when others do it. Show me the guy who never swears and then show me the guy who doesn't swear after the hardest race of the season.I just re-watched it and it just didn't look or sound that natural. However It doesn't take away anything he did on the track, and we know what we saw. This too shall pass :dozey:

tfp
4th November 2012, 23:24
You'd probably find something bad to say about him if he just breathed. I'm sorry if I come across like a rabid vettel fanboy, frothing at the mouth. I aint, but if a fellow countryman is smeared, denigrated and decried like he has been today, I'm going up in arms. I'm gonna fight that till the bitter end, because it is utterly undeserved. So Kimmi swearing on the podium was cool, but Vettel is a spoiled brat. Explain that logic to me. Other than blind nationalistic hatred, you'll probably run out of excuses.

I'm sure there will be a lot about it in the press tomorrow. But he did ruin a fantastic performance on track by a stupid performance off the track.

I still found it funny though, and watching DC cringe was also funny :D

wedge
5th November 2012, 00:09

I get the feeling that Seb is trying too hard to be liked at times. In the after race bit before the podium (when they all get hats, towels and watches) none of the drivers seem to interact with him very well. A lot of the others seem quite friendly but it all seems forced with Vettel.

I got the impression that it was if you say s*** then I say f***

One of the reasons I brought Autosport as a kid was because they printed quotes in full with the odd swear word!

IMO what comes out of football supporters in a football stadium is much, much worse - and they're not even swearing.

AndyL
5th November 2012, 00:25
I got the impression that it was if you say s*** then I say f***

I think you're right. Given that he's never sworn in a live interview (as far as I know) before, and his English is extremely good, it did seem like a deliberate choice of word. Which was kind of childish, but as you say, nothing compared to the vitriolic obscenities we see in some other sports.

gloomyDAY
5th November 2012, 00:55
Shut the **** up! People who complain about "bad words" is what makes good dramatic television an annoyance to watch (e.g. a stupid *beep* instead of a word). If you don't want to hear swear words, then I suggest you stay in a cocoon for the rest of your natural life.

vettel's a spoiled brat... what can you do? they should ask him only yes or no questions... he probably thought he was being cool or somethingPansy! Buy yourself some earmuffs.

jarrambide
5th November 2012, 03:23

I don't know about your Teutonic friend, but I will fricking fight you son of a witch, because that is what we do in Texas, we fight and we curse :)

I have been living in the US for 6 years and I still can't understand why Americans and many other English native speakers find some words offensive, like the regular word for excrement, or in some parts the use of hell, god, or crap, but don't give a second thought about stereotyping or bashing other genders, ethnicities or other groups.

Tazio
5th November 2012, 03:39
I don't know about your Teutonic friend, but I will fricking fight you son of a witch, because that is what we do in Texas, we fight and we curse :)

I have been living in the US for 6 years and I still can't understand why Americans and many other English native speakers find some words offensive, like the regular word for excrement, or in some parts the use of hell, god, or crap, but don't give a second thought about stereotyping or bashing other genders, ethnicities or other groups.Still carrying a green card? People with limited vocabularies senselessly drop the F-bomb all over this fair country. Neither Texas nor Mexico is some kind of macho exception :dozey: :laugh:

And if Vettel is so ok with it why did he issue this:

Sebastian Vettel: "I'm terribly sorry for using the wrong word on the podium today and I'm sorry if I have offended anyone who was watching. In the heat of the moment, I didn't use the right words and I apologise. I'll do better next time.

http://www.redbullracing.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Article/Message-from-Sebastian-021243279032246

jarrambide
5th November 2012, 04:04
Still carrying a green card? People with limited vocabularies senselessly drop the F-bomb all over this fair country. Neither Texas nor Mexico is some kind of macho exception :dozey: :laugh:

And if Vettel is so ok with it why did he issue this:

Message from Sebastian (http://www.redbullracing.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Article/Message-from-Sebastian-021243279032246)

I feel offended, Sir, I demand satisfaction, I would appreciate if you could find a glove and gently slap your face my dear West Coast hippie, please have your second get in contact with my second.

Robinho
5th November 2012, 04:30
Kimi swore as part of a deliberate joke, in his standard demeanour. It was hardly surprising or shocking, although he might get in a little trouble for it he wouldn't give a ****. its part of what makes Kimi who he is, his relaxed way, he lack of wanting to deal with press and the circus. Just like Brazil when he missed he MS presentation when he retired 1st time "cos I was taking a ****". Perfect Kimi the anti-hero stuff

Seb's was out of character for the way he has presented himself, and also not uttered in a joke offhand way, but in a frustrated way. It was also a worse swaer if you are catergorizing, more likely to get the attention of censors and media types. I personally don't have any issue with it, as it was a natural reaction to the way he was feeling, but perhaps not the best way for the poster boy to conduct himself

CNR
5th November 2012, 05:22

featherbrain championship google it

janneppi
5th November 2012, 06:02
A quick question, is there anyone here who were offended or feeling hurt after hearing these Kimi's or Vettel's comment?

Koz
5th November 2012, 06:20
A quick question, is there anyone here who were offended or feeling hurt after hearing these Kimi's or Vettel's comment?

The crowd was shocked and there was some booing.

I think him not going to a winning team-embrace was more offensive. :)

Mia 01
5th November 2012, 06:24
I think Fernando looked exhaused on the podium, he missed the hint from Kimi and Seb but he did some strange weaving.

Koz
5th November 2012, 06:25
Kimi swore as part of a deliberate joke, in his standard demeanour. It was hardly surprising or shocking, although he might get in a little trouble for it he wouldn't give a ****. its part of what makes Kimi who he is, his relaxed way, he lack of wanting to deal with press and the circus. Just like Brazil when he missed he MS presentation when he retired 1st time "cos I was taking a ****". Perfect Kimi the anti-hero stuff
Exactly, it was meant to be a joke.

Seb's was out of character for the way he has presented himself, and also not uttered in a joke offhand way, but in a frustrated way. It was also a worse swaer if you are catergorizing, more likely to get the attention of censors and media types. I personally don't have any issue with it, as it was a natural reaction to the way he was feeling, but perhaps not the best way for the poster boy to conduct himself

Meh, I think it was a direct reaction to what Kimi said... Everything he did on the podium was reeked of douchebaggery and attention whoring.

Tazio
5th November 2012, 06:27
A quick question, is there anyone here who were offended or feeling hurt after hearing these Kimi's or Vettel's comment? No but I was actually a little embarrassed for Vettel because it came off so goofy. It is a pet peeve of mine (because trust me usually anything goes as far as I'm concerned) but it does perplex and sadden me that so many young people use it lieu of a more appropriate comparative adjective.
That's all :)

Tazio
5th November 2012, 07:12
I think Fernando looked exhaused on the podium, he missed the hint from Kimi and Seb but he did some strange weaving.That's pretty funny Mia. Kimi won I'm happy for him.
I noticed that Kimi was so whipped that he went right to guzzling the party beverage they pop open on the podium, and he even knew it was non-alcoholic. :laugh:

Big Ben
5th November 2012, 08:41
Shut the **** up! People who complain about "bad words" is what makes good dramatic television an annoyance to watch (e.g. a stupid *beep* instead of a word). If you don't want to hear swear words, then I suggest you stay in a cocoon for the rest of your natural life.

Pansy! Buy yourself some earmuffs.

No need... I didn't even watch the interviews

Big Ben
5th November 2012, 08:44

Why do I have to explain that logic? Did I say Kimi was cool because of what he said?

CaptainRaiden
5th November 2012, 09:02
What the f*** is wrong with Kimi and Vettel? I can't f***ing believe they f***ing swore on f***ing live TV! I don't give a s***t if they are on the podium, where are their f***ing manners?? There are little kids watching the f***ing race for Ch***t's sake!

BTW those kids have never heard swear words like ever. Kimi and Vettel just ruined their life.

Bezza
5th November 2012, 09:03
This was odd, the way in which Kimi said his swear word, seemed natural, in jest, and just about fair enough.

However, with Vettel, it seemed as if he purposely emphasized and thought about saying it.

Personally I think he's trying a bit too hard to be "cool" - he wants Kimi's reputation. But it just wasn't natural. More falseness from him

SGWilko
5th November 2012, 09:30

Pansy! Buy yourself some earmuffs.

Well, that's a very mature POV.

If my 6 and 8 year old children are watching, and they hear the language I have been prudent to avoid using in front of them (and one of the myriad reasons we had to move house), is it right that a seemingly well educated driver feels it appropriate to use such foul language on a live broadcast going out to many countries in the early afternoon?. If I don't want my children to hear swearing on the telly (which is nigh on impossible as they are in bed by 8pm) I monitor waht they watch and certainly they do not watch after the watershed.

It is unacceptable in my opinion, and I think he should be sanctioned.

SGWilko
5th November 2012, 09:34
What the f*** is wrong with Kimi and Vettel? I can't f***ing believe they f***ing swore on f***ing live TV! I don't give a s***t if they are on the podium, where are their f***ing manners?? There are little kids watching the f***ing race for Ch***t's sake!

BTW those kids have never heard swear words like ever. Kimi and Vettel just ruined their life.

The kids of course will hear swear words at school etc, due to being exposed to children whose parents don't particularly bother about how their kids are dragged up. It is a sad reflection on the general don't care it's not my problem attitude.

Zico
5th November 2012, 09:38

If my 6 and 8 year old children are watching, and they hear the language I have been prudent to avoid using in front of them (and one of the myriad reasons we had to move house), is it right that a seemingly well educated driver feels it appropriate to use such foul language on a live broadcast going out to many countries in the early afternoon?. If I don't want my children to hear swearing on the telly (which is nigh on impossible as they are in bed by 8pm) I monitor waht they watch and certainly they do not watch after the watershed.

This ^...

Im trying to stop my spongelike 3 year old from saying the F word at the moment :/... hearing it on tv really wouldn't have helped.

dj_bytedisaster
5th November 2012, 09:59

Well, that's a very nationalistic POV. Why should he be sanctioned. Weren't there two drivers swearing on live TV?

Robinho
5th November 2012, 10:03
Stop trying make this a national issue, no one dislikes Vettel cos he's German, in fact very few dislike him at all, trying to make any criticism into anti German sentiment is pointless and childish imo. It vastly reduces the strength of any of the other points you might make when you start pulling that card

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

dj_bytedisaster
5th November 2012, 10:21
still doesn't answer the questio. Why should he be sanctioned when there were two, who swore.

And saying that only few dislike Vettel, how come all of the latest threads are overflowing with negativity and deprecative comments after what can surely be described as a very spirited ride of his. That goes beyond criticism. Just about everything he does is turned into an argument against him. The swearing is a good example. Kimi is almost applauded for it, while Vettel gets accused of all sorts of villainy. Forgive a guy for getting touchy about that. I think he gets way too much **** lately.

The Black Knight
5th November 2012, 10:25
Vettel is entitled to swear if he wants. Plenty of other drivers have done it in the past. If one driver is to be sanctioned then they all need to be sanctioned. I'm surprised this even made a thread to be honest.

SGWilko
5th November 2012, 10:27
Well, that's a very nationalistic POV. Why should he be sanctioned. Weren't there two drivers swearing on live TV?

You know what, If Lewis had used the F word on live telly, I'd say the same about him. Would that make me a racist?

I think use of the word sh!t, while still undesirable, is much more commonplace and is a lot less offensive than the F word.

I do suspect however that there is an ulterior motive here - as in stop this awkward live podium interview nonesence - we hate it!

SGWilko
5th November 2012, 10:29
Vettel is entitled to swear if he wants. Plenty of other drivers have done it in the past. If one driver is to be sanctioned then they all need to be sanctioned. I'm surprised this even made a thread to be honest.

So, you're walking down the street with your kids, and some kid pops his head out of a tree surgeon van and shouts 'f*****g w****r as he flashes by - is he entitled to do that? That's swearing too.... How would you feel and what do you say to your kids??? That's OK, he's entitled to swear.....

I see it as a general lack of education personally.

Mark
5th November 2012, 10:57

Offended would be wrong, but I like it or not drivers are role models and there are certain things you don't do or say in public and swearing is one of them. You may swear all the time among friends and colleges but you don't do it in public.

SGWilko
5th November 2012, 11:02

If it was a highlights show, on after 9pm, then, as a father I wouldn't care two hoots. However, given that it was broadcast in the mid afternoon, and my kids were in the room (because you don't expect foul language on the telly at this time), then yes, I was concerned that my kids would hear it. It sets an example. If I draw attention to it, the kids will pick up on it, but if I say nothing, they'll think it's normal.

I don't want my kids to use such language, and now seemingly I am powerless to stop the rot setting in on daytime tv.

Mark
5th November 2012, 11:04
The BBC don't like it either as I believe they have been sanctioned before when guests have swore - e.g. on radio programmes.

The Black Knight
5th November 2012, 11:05
So, you're walking down the street with your kids, and some kid pops his head out of a tree surgeon van and shouts 'f*****g w****r as he flashes by - is he entitled to do that? That's swearing too.... How would you feel and what do you say to your kids??? That's OK, he's entitled to swear.....

And you're entitled to that opinion. I don't have a kid but kids are going to grow up hearing the F word anyway no matter how much you try and mollycoddle them. The most important thing is to teach them not to use it and that it's wrong. As long as you do that then they'll be fine. I don't curse or swear but I sure heard plenty of it as a kid. Parents teachings are the key here. My folks taught me that I shouldn't curse so I chose to not do it.

People are entitled to say what they want when they want. You can call it a lack of education, yes but that is your opinion and, to be perfectly honest it is a pretty valid one, but that doesn't give you the right to censor what other people say. We have freedom to say what we want. If you don't want your kids exposed to that then lock them in their room and turn off the TV so they won't have to deal with the real world.

SGWilko
5th November 2012, 11:12
If you don't want your kids exposed to that then lock them in their room and turn off the TV so they won't have to deal with the real world.

There is an accepted broadcasting standard that means content shown before 9pm is suitable for all ages, with a little sensible adult cencorship for adult themed content etc thrown in. If I cannot now rely on that why have such a broadcasting code?

I am fully aware that my kids will be exposed to others swearing. However, that is because such individuals are allowed to spout abuse unchallenged. When I am out with my children, if someone swears within earshot I am not unknown to ask them, politely, to refrain. Most, are very apologetic - embarrassed even, others, the less intelligent probably, retort with more abuse and profanities. Pathetic, but a snapshot sadly on real life.

Mark
5th November 2012, 11:12
But the fact of the matter is that saying f**k in most social settings is unacceptable. Like it or not that's how it is. I don't want my daughter to think that saying that is acceptable; at least until she's old enough to know the difference between when it's acceptable and when it isn't.

SGWilko
5th November 2012, 11:18
mollycoddle

I think your definition of mollycoddle is what I would class as effective parenting.

Malbec
5th November 2012, 11:23
I think your definition of mollycoddle is what I would class as effective parenting.

I think non-parents would find it difficult to understand why Kimi and Vettel's swearing yesterday is difficult to accept.

All your efforts trying not to swear in front of your kids combined with not letting them watch or listen to anything where swearing takes place can be undone by those rolemodels on TV swearing as if its completely normal on the podium. I certainly wasn't impressed.

This will seem completely trivial to those without kids, I think its just one of those things you'll only understand when you're in the same position as us.

F1boat
5th November 2012, 11:32
Personally I have no problem with swearing. I do think that some people have very outdated views of puritan morality, which are hilarious in the 21st century. Actually I liked Kimi Raikkonen and Seb Vettel even more after the swearing. ;)

SGWilko
5th November 2012, 11:34
I think non-parents would find it difficult to understand why Kimi and Vettel's swearing yesterday is difficult to accept.

All your efforts trying not to swear in front of your kids combined with not letting them watch or listen to anything where swearing takes place can be undone by those rolemodels on TV swearing as if its completely normal on the podium. I certainly wasn't impressed.

This will seem completely trivial to those without kids, I think its just one of those things you'll only understand when you're in the same position as us.

It goes beyond wanting the best for your child. You also want them to be well behaved and mild mannered when in others company. We've all (as parents) had to suffer the unruly and ill mannered child at birthday parties - they never get invited twice.

Just dropping the kids off at school (on days off etc) and seeing how some of the mums behave is a real eye opener!

SGWilko
5th November 2012, 11:36
Personally I have no problem with swearing. I do think that some people have very outdated views of puritan morality, which are hilarious in the 21st century. Actually I liked Kimi Raikkonen and Seb Vettel even more after the swearing. ;)

Children are wholly innocent, and look up to adults as role models. If you think wanting the best for your offspring, and teaching them right from wrong is outdated, then good luck to you.

The Black Knight
5th November 2012, 11:38
There is an accepted broadcasting standard that means content shown before 9pm is suitable for all ages, with a little sensible adult cencorship for adult themed content etc thrown in. If I cannot now rely on that why have such a broadcasting code?

I am fully aware that my kids will be exposed to others swearing. However, that is because such individuals are allowed to spout abuse unchallenged. When I am out with my children, if someone swears within earshot I am not unknown to ask them, politely, to refrain. Most, are very apologetic - embarrassed even, others, the less intelligent probably, retort with more abuse and profanities. Pathetic, but a snapshot sadly on real life.

It's a live broadcast and you should be aware as a parent that the BBC or Sky can't affect what is said live on air. There isn't enough time to censor it. If you are aware of this then stop your kids watching live TV.

F1boat
5th November 2012, 11:45
Children are wholly innocent, and look up to adults as role models. If you think wanting the best for your offspring, and teaching them right from wrong is outdated, then good luck to you.

Oh, and it is so scary to hear someone swearing? You can always say that such words are not appropriate in civil company, bot "role models" (why F1 drivers are role models, BTW?) use them when angry. But go ahead, try to protect your children from the world...

SGWilko
5th November 2012, 11:48
Oh, and it is so scary to hear someone swearing?

As an informed adult, no, of course not.

As an impressionable 6 year old???

Malbec
5th November 2012, 11:48
It's a live broadcast and you should be aware as a parent that the BBC or Sky can't affect what is said live on air. There isn't enough time to censor it. If you are aware of this then stop your kids watching live TV.

The onus is partly on the broadcaster but the bulk of it lies on the interviewees to use appropriate language for the occasion, or do you think that the post-race interview isn't meant for general public consumption? Does F1 not try to sell itself as a sport thats appropriate for family viewing?

Where do you think swearing fits into that?

F1boat
5th November 2012, 11:51
I dunno, I find this family thing incredibly... old school, to put it nicely. First of all, I doubt that millions of six years old watch the F1 press conference. But you know, as a kid I watched the Terminator movies, so maybe I am not the best judge about what is right or wrong for family viewing... xD

The Black Knight
5th November 2012, 11:52
The onus is partly on the broadcaster but the bulk of it lies on the interviewees to use appropriate language for the occasion, or do you think that the post-race interview isn't meant for general public consumption? Does F1 not try to sell itself as a sport thats appropriate for family viewing?

Where do you think swearing fits into that?

It depends on your opinion of what is appropriate for family viewing. I don't believe that the odd curse live on TV every now and then qualifies for censorship or inappropriate. No matter what age your kid is they will be exposed to the odd swear here and there. You just need to get over it.

Malbec
5th November 2012, 11:58
It depends on your opinion of what is appropriate for family viewing. I don't believe that the odd curse live on TV every now and then quantifies as inappropriate. No matter what age your kid is they will be exposed to the odd swear here and there. Get over it.

Black and white thinking again. They'll be exposed to swearing anyway (I agree with that) so just accept it when people swear at an event they're not supposed to swear at.

Have you considered that as a parent you choose both TV programmes and events thinking whether its appropriate for the age of your child? Have you not considered whether the people who deliver those programmes and events should behave appropriately for the nature of that event?

Have you also thought that the child may inteprete the fact that as you the parent have chosen that programme to be appropriate for that child they will interprete things they hear during that as being acceptable to you?

I don't expect you to understand this point of view as a non-parent, all I can say is that your attitudes will most likely change significantly if you ever have children yourself.

F1boat
5th November 2012, 12:00
Have you also thought that the child may inteprete the fact that as you the parent have chosen that programme to be appropriate for that child they will interprete things they hear during that as being acceptable to you?

LOL, it became very complicated and sinister when you put it like this :)

SGWilko
5th November 2012, 12:05
as a kid I watched the Terminator movies,

I have to say, that tells me everything I need to know......

Malbec
5th November 2012, 12:08
LOL, it became very complicated and sinister when you put it like this :)

Bringing up a kid is @#$&'ing complicated!

The Black Knight
5th November 2012, 12:13
Black and white thinking again. They'll be exposed to swearing anyway (I agree with that) so just accept it when people swear at an event they're not supposed to swear at.

Have you considered that as a parent you choose both TV programmes and events thinking whether its appropriate for the age of your child? Have you not considered whether the people who deliver those programmes and events should behave appropriately for the nature of that event?

I don't expect you to understand this point of view as a non-parent, all I can say is that your attitudes will most likely change significantly if you ever have children yourself.

That's again part of the real world lesson. Not everything is a perfect world scenario. No matter what you try to censor from your kids some of it will get through any how. It's up to you to teach your kids what is right from wrong regardless of what they hear and for you to teach your kids that even though they hear something on TV it may not be appropriate for them to use it in every day social circles.

As a non-parent I have clear view and have seen many parents mollycoddle their kids. I understand why they do it. It's a paternal instinct to do what is best for your child. I was mollycoddled. My parents did the best to protect me from real life scenarios. I can't even begin to describe how detrimental it was to me and it took me many years on my own and a lot of counseling before I was able to interact well with people on a social level. Kids have to be able to see the world as it is. You don't have to throw it all in their face at once but there's no point in deceiving them either. The sooner they do that and the sooner you teach them how to deal with real world, the better they will be for it. And that's what I'm talking about here, if your kids witnessed Vettel's talk yesterday, then why not just say it was wrong for him to curse on air and that he shouldn't do it. You'll be surprised how much more a malleable 6 year old can be influenced by their parents rather than what they see on TV. Your only other choice is to make sure that they don't watch live TV and only watch what has been pre-screened.

You may say it's black and white thinking but honestly I just call it accepting reality and not fighting forces that aren't within your control.

SGWilko
5th November 2012, 12:13
Bringing up a kid is @#$&'ing complicated!

No sh!t! :D

ShiftingGears
5th November 2012, 12:20
Kimi you can expect to be a potty mouth. But Seb too?

I got the impression that Seb wouldn't've sworn if Kimi hadn't, to be honest.

Mark
5th November 2012, 12:31
Yes; it's all about context. e.g. I don't swear with my wife and kid; however swearing is very common at work. So when my boss called me up about a power failure at work I was like "Oh f***ing hell" - and I was actually taken aback that I'd slipped so quickly into it; I had to go into the other room!

BDunnell
5th November 2012, 12:43
What a complete non-issue this is. Can't believe the discussion has now gone onto its fourth page.

It's not just context that's important, but also the type of person doing the swearing, for it can be used eloquently for effect, and I do feel that swearing for shock value has its place. In terms of children hearing adults swear, I tend to believe that the effect is dependent upon the child's nature. I mean, if I'd heard an F1 driver swear on the TV while I was watching the sport as a kid, it wouldn't have had the slightest effect on me, on the grounds that I knew better than to swear by default.

SGWilko
5th November 2012, 12:47
for it can be used eloquently for effect

As almost every word in a sentence, for example????

Monty Python - Definition of Fuck - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhh7Iu76yUA)

Robinho
5th November 2012, 12:55
still doesn't answer the questio. Why should he be sanctioned when there were two, who swore.

And saying that only few dislike Vettel, how come all of the latest threads are overflowing with negativity and deprecative comments after what can surely be described as a very spirited ride of his. That goes beyond criticism. Just about everything he does is turned into an argument against him. The swearing is a good example. Kimi is almost applauded for it, while Vettel gets accused of all sorts of villainy. Forgive a guy for getting touchy about that. I think he gets way too much **** lately.

if we go to nit picking level, saying **** on live telly is worse in terms of the networks and censors than sh**. however they probably both should get a minor sanction. I do think the context and the delivery, as well of the chosen word were a magnitude worse from Vettel.

the threads are not overflowing with negativity, to a man, everyone has said that Vettel drove very well and scored an incredible result. however, some, me included, feel that the result wasn't entirely down to some other worldy ability, but was partly down to luck. as did several of the current F1 grid and several F1 journo's. I put it to you that you are being oversensitive and attempting to convert people to your opinion that he was the driver of the day simply because of the result, not the manner in getting the result. it does not go any way beyond criticism. in the current threads I ask you to find genuine criticism or insult of Vettel. I agree that maybe Vettel attracts additional attention at the moment, but his status as incumbent 2 x champion and looking like running for a 3rd make him fair game. people will shoot at him, and some of the criticism is found in genuine observations, thus is formed opinion. I can't fault his current form, nor his speed, but I do feel that when he is winning he is flattered by a spectacular car and an inconsistent teammate. he has made several very good races this year, but in this case his was not the best of the day, and overall I think Alonso has driven far better this year and deserves the title. And apart from anything else, imagine you are impartial for a moment, you would want thus season to stay alive for as long as possible, it has been so entertaining it would be a shame for Vettel to take it out a couple of races before the end, hence why it seems many might celebrate Vettels downs more than his ups. Should he win the title at the end we'll have to take it on the chin and move on, I just hope the fight goes to the wire after the year we've had.

What I cannot abide is talk of fanboys, haters, nationalistic views and all that stems from it, it takes the arguement down a blind alley and is used as a stick to beat the other poster with, rather than accepting someone has a different view

MrJan
5th November 2012, 13:05
That's the biggest load of bull**** I've ever heard. Swearing is natural for everyone. We all do it. But we unleash a holier than thou attitude when others do it. Show me the guy who never swears and then show me the guy who doesn't swear after the hardest race of the season.

You clearly don't know me and don't understand what I was saying. Wedge got the point, Seb was forcing the issue to come across more like Kimi, it's not normal for him to swear in an interview. Swearing is not natural for everyone, I know a lot of people that rarely, if ever, swear. I'm not one of them, I work in the building industry where everything's f**ked and everyone's a c**t, so I certainly do not get on my high horse about it...but that doesn't change the fact that Vettel was forcing the word into a sentence where it didn't belong. I'm not making an issue out of it, merely an observation.

Malbec
5th November 2012, 13:14
That's again part of the real world lesson. Not everything is a perfect world scenario. No matter what you try to censor from your kids some of it will get through any how. It's up to you to teach your kids what is right from wrong regardless of what they hear and for you to teach your kids that even though they hear something on TV it may not be appropriate for them to use it in every day social circles.

As a non-parent I have clear view and have seen many parents mollycoddle their kids. I understand why they do it. It's a paternal instinct to do what is best for your child. I was mollycoddled. My parents did the best to protect me from real life scenarios. I can't even begin to describe how detrimental it was to me and it took me many years on my own and a lot of counseling before I was able to interact well with people on a social level. Kids have to be able to see the world as it is. You don't have to throw it all in their face at once but there's no point in deceiving them either. The sooner they do that and the sooner you teach them how to deal with real world, the better they will be for it. And that's what I'm talking about here, if your kids witnessed Vettel's talk yesterday, then why not just say it was wrong for him to curse on air and that he shouldn't do it. You'll be surprised how much more a malleable 6 year old can be influenced by their parents rather than what they see on TV. Your only other choice is to make sure that they don't watch live TV and only watch what has been pre-screened.

You may say it's black and white thinking but honestly I just call it accepting reality and not fighting forces that aren't within your control.

Just to walk you through your own logic you're claiming that not wanting kids to hear swearing on a pre-watershed programme is mollycoddling to the extent that they'll have interpersonal relationship problems as adults like you?

Don't you think you're generalising just a little? Since you've been in counselling you'll understand me when I think you're projecting just a tad there.

Don't generalise a whole swathe of different parenting styles as mollycoddling, you have no idea whatsoever about how I bring up my son nor how other posters here bring up theirs. Nor it seems do you have much concept of applying different parenting techniques for different aspects of a child's life.

I've noticed that you haven't tried once in your posts to differentiate between kids of different ages and how they perceive the world. Your simplistic views are relevant for those over ten but we're talking about much younger kids where parents are trying with difficulty to establish basic concepts of what is right and wrong. You are bringing your adult ability to perceive that the comments made yesterday were in jest. It is much more difficult for a young child who sees the world in terms of authority figures to understand that while the drivers swore, that does not make such behaviour acceptable.

I agree that children OF A CERTAIN AGE need to learn how the real world works. The question is providing them with a solid moral and behavioural platform while they're young to ensure they know how to behave within that world when they are developmentally incapable of processing complex and contradictory concepts.

Zico
5th November 2012, 13:53
Just to walk you through your own logic you're claiming that not wanting kids to hear swearing on a pre-watershed programme is mollycoddling to the extent that they'll have interpersonal relationship problems as adults like you?

Don't you think you're generalising just a little? Since you've been in counselling you'll understand me when I think you're projecting just a tad there.

Don't generalise a whole swathe of different parenting styles as mollycoddling, you have no idea whatsoever about how I bring up my son nor how other posters here bring up theirs. Nor it seems do you have much concept of applying different parenting techniques for different aspects of a child's life.

I've noticed that you haven't tried once in your posts to differentiate between kids of different ages and how they perceive the world. Your simplistic views are relevant for those over ten but we're talking about much younger kids where parents are trying with difficulty to establish basic concepts of what is right and wrong. You are bringing your adult ability to perceive that the comments made yesterday were in jest. It is much more difficult for a young child who sees the world in terms of authority figures to understand that while the drivers swore, that does not make such behaviour acceptable.

I agree that children OF A CERTAIN AGE need to learn how the real world works. The question is providing them with a solid moral and behavioural platform while they're young to ensure they know how to behave within that world when they are developmentally incapable of processing complex and contradictory concepts.

Well said Malbec...

As I mentioned earlier, I have a 3 year old son who, while quite advanced in speech for his age, is still in the process of developing this "behavioural platform" you speak off.. and will repeat what he hears. I dont want him running around swearing, it wont do him any favours and will also reflect badly on me as a parent

I suspect/hope the non-parents on the thread suggesting that its ok to swear in front of an audience potentially comprising of some young children will change their view if/when they become a parent.

No major issue. Kimi and Seb just need a wee reminder to take more care with their choice of langauge when being interviewed on live pre-watershed TV, thats all.

The Black Knight
5th November 2012, 14:09

Reading back on my post I understand how you think I'm projecting and believe me it's not my intention to project all protective parents as mollycoddling, nor is it my intention to say that there is one way right way to bring up your kid. If there was then the world would be a very boring place. I'm also not trying to say that I have any idea how you rare your kid nor that my ideas are better than yours. So my apologies if you construed my posts as any of the above, it was not intended that way.

The point I'm making is that you have options open to you other than trying to censor what other people say. Whether the kid be 5 or 6 you can still teach your kids right or wrong. If they are smart enough to understand the implications of using the 'F' word, they are smart enough to know right from wrong when you tell it to them. Kids are impressionable but most of all by their parents influence, not by what some schmuck says on TV.

And yes, it is much more difficult for a young child to perceive the world as we do but that's where you, the parent, comes in. You can't control what is said live on TV. Again if you have a problem with the odd swear word here and there you can either let your kid see it and explain it is wrong, or stop them from watching it. Other than that they are all external forces under which you have no control and, not alone that but people have the right to say what they want. I think I'm repeating myself now but this is the point I'm trying to get through to you.

Bagwan
5th November 2012, 15:28
I remember a hilarious moment when a movie we rented had a scene that went rather pornish all of a sudden , and before we could react , my son piped up with "I suppose this isn't really appropriate for me to watch ." , and promptly wandered out of the room . He was about six or so .
We all burst out in un-controllable laughter , my wife and I on the couch , and my son in his room .

The fact that Vettel has appologized for this is helpful for any parent in this situation .
It shows that no matter how big you are , you are obligated to atone for stupid use of even a single word .

In our house , with so many , and so varied friends , we always had a real mix of folks who sometimes used the same word Vettel used as about every second word , even though being reminded constantly of the proximity of an impressionable wee tyke .
Our style of parenting was more to point out how much the overuse of a bad word diminishes it's intention , rather than to it's "bad" status .
That , coupled with how it made the person look , in terms of intelligence , was enough for him to understand that a good vocabulary beats a pocketful of bad words any day .

Some folks just think it was crass .
Some think he only did it to up Kimi's blue moment .

A few like him better because of it .

In the end , it's what happened , and we have to deal with it .
I don't think he'll go there again .

janneppi
5th November 2012, 17:21
If it was a highlights show, on after 9pm, then, as a father I wouldn't care two hoots. However, given that it was broadcast in the mid afternoon, and my kids were in the room (because you don't expect foul language on the telly at this time), then yes, I was concerned that my kids would hear it. It sets an example. If I draw attention to it, the kids will pick up on it, but if I say nothing, they'll think it's normal.

I don't want my kids to use such language, and now seemingly I am powerless to stop the rot setting in on daytime tv.

Fair enough. I know the English speaking world will have this issue.

A follow up question though, why would you let your kids watch a F1 race where there's a good chance of someone actually getting killed on live tv?
Which to be honest wasnt' that far off from happening yesterday with Rosberg and Karthikeyan.

race aficionado
5th November 2012, 17:31
Oh please!
You call that cursing?
This is quality on camera cursing. :s mokin:

Spa 2002 Qualifying Juan Pablo Montoya swearing about Kimi Räikkönen - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bJTN5jA8l0)

Tazio
5th November 2012, 18:13
Oh please!
You call that cursing?
This is quality on camera cursing. :s mokin:

Spa 2002 Qualifying Juan Pablo Montoya swearing about Kimi Räikkönen - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bJTN5jA8l0)
George Carlin - Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqvLTJfYnik)

Monty Python - Dirty Vicar - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s9SYX7TSJ0&playnext=1&list=PLjiSL1mnUNGLeOeEGd1tK1dR8mCsVMuib&feature=results_video) ;)

donKey jote
5th November 2012, 18:24
I shouldn't comment on this thread as I'm a donkey:

One of our family jokes was asking donkito "what do you say when the lights are red?" when he was very little.
The answer: "Oh bollocks!", as grampa donkey let out once while in the car with us.
And we'd all burst out laughing every time, thus reinforcing such antisocial behaviour, although he hadn't a clue what he was saying.

One day much later, on my shoulders amongst a crowd in the middle of Hannover, he suddenly shouted "Oh bollocks" at the top of his little voice... he'd seen a red light somewhere :dozey:
Needless to say, we burst out laughing. Luckily we weren't in the UK, and luckily grampa donks -for once- hadn't dropped the F word instead way back when.

Bunch of donkeys we are :D

Now he's older and only swears in Spanish, but that's normal. :p

race aficionado
5th November 2012, 18:43
My 16 year old son is a swearing machine and it drives me nuts.
"it must be his age" I say - but boy, I look forward to to the day when his cursing hormones start receding.

I don't mind a curse here and there when it is warranted, let it be for humor or because you are really pissed off - but on every #@*!! sentence, give me a frig'n brake!

Tazio
5th November 2012, 18:45
I shouldn't comment on this thread as I'm a donkey:

One of our family jokes was asking donkito "what do you say when the lights are red?" when he was very little.
The answer: "Oh bollocks!", as grampa donkey let out once while in the car with us.
And we'd all burst out laughing every time, thus reinforcing such antisocial behaviour, although he hadn't a clue what he was saying.

One day much later, on my shoulders amongst a crowd in the middle of Hannover, he suddenly shouted "Oh bollocks" at the top of his little voice... he'd seen a red light somewhere
Needless to say, we burst out laughing. Luckily we weren't in the UK, and luckily grampa donks -for once- hadn't dropped the F word instead way back when.

Bunch of donkeys we are

Now he's older and only swears in Spanish, but that's normal. :p

Well; your missus swears like a :s ailor: when she is in the throws of passion.
billybob said he's taken to wearing earplugs :arrows: :p : :s mokin:

donKey jote
5th November 2012, 18:57
Well; your missus swears like a :s ailor: when she is in the throws of passion.
billybob said he's taken to wearing earplugs :arrows: :p : :s mokin:

you clearly misheard him: it was your sister and he said he's taken to wearing buttplugs :kiss:

gloomyDAY
5th November 2012, 19:22
This just in: F1 drivers are human. Carry on...

Tazio
5th November 2012, 19:23
Well................. I know I didn't mishear your missus (christ how could anyone?) :bulb: :laugh: :wave:

DexDexter
5th November 2012, 19:38

The only posters who have trouble with Vettel's and Kimi's marks are either American or British. It's an interesting detail. I, for the live of me, cannot understand why you can't say Fu*** on American terrestial TV but you say it on HBO :) .

Mark
5th November 2012, 19:46
Yes. It's all about the correct setting. Even Gordon Ramsey will mind his language on daytime TV.

BDunnell
5th November 2012, 19:47
As almost every word in a sentence, for example????

Monty Python - Definition of **** - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhh7Iu76yUA)

Possibly, if done properly.

BDunnell
5th November 2012, 20:00

Might I, as a non-parent, suggest that it's not all to do with the age? The idea that when a child becomes 'x' years old, it automatically becomes possible to open them up to more experiences, strikes me as a little rigid.

A.F.F.
5th November 2012, 20:02
God for bid it didn't turn into a nipplegate :dozey:

nigelred5
5th November 2012, 20:07

I got quite the laugh out of it actually.

Kimi's was more self depricating and direscetd at himself and his team, Vettel was merely letting the f bomb drop as I heard it.

nigelred5
5th November 2012, 20:14

BBC and sky don't run the 6 sec delay like most "live" broadcasts in the US? It's usually only the censor asleep at the buzzer that misses the words.

I"ve had this debate with a good friend of mine over what morning DJ's discuss on the radio. He took exception to them discussing a woman's vagina. If you don't want your 6 year old hearing the word vagina, I suggest not listening to morning radio and opting for a Barney CD. The irony of our debate was the guy cussed like a sailor our whole life but is now some holier than thou uber-parent. I just laugh at him and give him the same response I've always given to his illogical arguments- "what ever ****head" lol

My children hear cursing all the time. They are also tought that it is not acceptable for them to use it, that it has a negative effect on their public persona and the way others will treat them. They are taught to give and expect respect and dignity.

They also get style points for using it in proper context..just before they are punished. ;)

Malbec
5th November 2012, 20:15
The only posters who have trouble with Vettel's and Kimi's marks are either American or British. It's an interesting detail. I, for the live of me, cannot understand why you can't say Fu*** on American terrestial TV but you say it on HBO :) .

Personally I don't have a problem with what either Kimi or Seb said. I think its interesting that Seb who normally doesn't swear did so after Kimi showed the way but otherwise I don't have a problem with it. Sport is an emotional activity and sometimes I'd even argue that a rant is the only thing that can get the strength of emotion across, like that British paralympics cyclist who completely went off on one when he was disqualified through no fault of his own.

The problem is context and as others have said, I don't want my son to hear it which is I think reasonable given it was broadcast mid-afternoon.

Its not like we've just watched gangster rapper of the year awards 2012 and are shocked with the swearing and stereotyping.

Malbec
5th November 2012, 20:17
Might I, as a non-parent, suggest that it's not all to do with the age?

Of course not. However my post was in response to someone who seemed to make no distinction between a 1 or 15 year old and everything in between. I would add though that a child's sense of acceptable behaviour and attitude towards authority figures changes more than you might think with age.

Malbec
5th November 2012, 20:20
The point I'm making is that you have options open to you other than trying to censor what other people say. Whether the kid be 5 or 6 you can still teach your kids right or wrong. If they are smart enough to understand the implications of using the 'F' word, they are smart enough to know right from wrong when you tell it to them. Kids are impressionable but most of all by their parents influence, not by what some schmuck says on TV.

And yes, it is much more difficult for a young child to perceive the world as we do but that's where you, the parent, comes in. You can't control what is said live on TV. Again if you have a problem with the odd swear word here and there you can either let your kid see it and explain it is wrong, or stop them from watching it. Other than that they are all external forces under which you have no control and, not alone that but people have the right to say what they want. I think I'm repeating myself now but this is the point I'm trying to get through to you.

With all due respect I believe that if you have kids you'll look back on this thread and think "Little did I know how little I knew".

That may sound patronising but its clear from your posts that you have very little idea of child development and what its like to bring them up, not that I did either before my son was born.

nigelred5
5th November 2012, 20:22

because you pay for HBO. It's not broadcast over public-owned airwaves and therefore it's not subject to FCC regulations regarding language. You are warned you may hear it at the beginning of every broadcast on HBO. You assume you will hear it. Personally, it think it's bull**** and the FCC has lifted the restrictions on some language and content after 9:00, but kids live in the same world as everyone else.

steveaki13
5th November 2012, 21:38
How can this be the most discussed thread in such a short time for weeks on a subject which is pretty much nothing.

Yet we had one of the best races of the year and we are all talking about this. bizzare.

The Black Knight
5th November 2012, 21:38
With all due respect I believe that if you have kids you'll look back on this thread and think "Little did I know how little I knew".

That may sound patronising but its clear from your posts that you have very little idea of child development and what its like to bring them up, not that I did either before my son was born.

Well, that's the typical line I hear spewed from many parents every time they hear something they don't agree with. But, hey, I knew that would be thrown at me some stage during the thread. You're wrong about me not having a clue about parenting by the way, I pretty much rared my nephew until he was 10. I might not have the same view as you, but if you were a bit open-minded you'd be able to see the point I'm making to you and kids are a lot smarter than you give them credit for.

CNR
6th November 2012, 07:37
F1 teams use foul language to hide secrets (http://www.worldcarfans.com/112110650204/f1-teams-use-foul-language-to-hide-secrets)

According to the Guardian, teams and drivers also use foul language as a weapon to censor crucial information from rival teams.
The newspaper said an employee of Bernie Ecclestone's television company monitors pit-to-car radio chatter, selecting excerpts for broadcast.
Journalist Richard Williams writes: "While making inquiries about the protocols surrounding this form of supervised eavesdropping, I made an interesting discovery. "Although the teams have no control over the selection of these snippets, they do have one weapon at their disposal: when passing information they are keen to conceal from others, they ensure that an obscenity forms a prominent part of the conversation."

SGWilko
6th November 2012, 08:23
How can this be the most discussed thread in such a short time .

Because so many folk contributed to it, more so in fact than any other thread? :p

Mark
6th November 2012, 09:06
Because so many folk contributed to it, more so in fact than any other thread? :p

Spot on ;)

F1boat
6th November 2012, 09:30
For me it is fascinating that we are still talking about this. :D

SGWilko
6th November 2012, 09:57
For me it is fascinating that we are still talking about this. :D

Last word freak! :D

Knock-on
6th November 2012, 11:12
I don't feel mentally scarred, offended or even mildly peeved in any way shape or form by all this. Sorry.

However, on the subject of Kimi, I thought you might like this:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=442455685791810&set=a.200694179967963.44386.154812817889433&type=1&theater

Tazio
6th November 2012, 12:37
I don't feel mentally scarred, offended or even mildly peeved in any way shape or form by all this. Sorry.

However, on the subject of Kimi, I thought you might like this:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=442455685791810&set=a.200694179967963.44386.154812817889433&type=1&theater
How can I get one with JB's and/or the royal family's grill on it? :arrows: :wave:

Knock-on
6th November 2012, 12:53
I may let you off on that one ;)

Knock-on
6th November 2012, 16:05
I'm sure this is posted elsewhere but always a laugh :laugh:

(Don't watch if you get offended by words!! )

Kimi Räikkönen - "I was having a shit." - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MlsMVzrp2o)

SGWilko
6th November 2012, 16:06
I'm sure this is posted elsewhere but always a laugh :laugh:

(Don't watch if you get offended by words!! )

Kimi Räikkönen - "I was having a ****." - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MlsMVzrp2o)

Don't get offended by words - but forwarned means the kids wont see it! :D

Knock-on
6th November 2012, 17:02
Don't get offended by words - but forwarned means the kids wont see it! :D

Are you Mad? If kids think it's something they're not supposed to hear, you can bet they'll move heaven and hell to hear it nd then mke sure their friends do too :D

rbatista82
6th November 2012, 17:32
Photos from today's test in Abu Dhabi:
Click here: SuperMotores | Rally, Frmula 1, WRC (http://www.supermotores.net/sm/fotos.asp?id=296)

http://supermotores.net/images/galeria/AbuDhabiTest201200007.JPG

rbatista82
6th November 2012, 17:33
http://supermotores.net/images/galeria/AbuDhabiTest201200007.JPG

schmenke
6th November 2012, 17:37
This ^...

Im trying to stop my spongelike 3 year old from saying the F word at the moment :/... hearing it on tv really wouldn't have helped.

Agreed.

I certainly was not expecting to hear language like that while. My 8-yr old daughter was in the room while I was watching. I cringed and quickly glanced at her but thankfully she was engrossed in her Harry Potter book at the time :mark: .

I do find it discouraging that there are those who think that the casual use of profanity by media personalities is acceptable :s

schmenke
6th November 2012, 17:50
...Swearing is natural for everyone. ....

No it's not.

... We all do it. ....

No we don't.

Dave B
6th November 2012, 17:56
I want my little one to make an informed decision. If he decides that he wants to use a swear word in its proper context, then good luck to him. What I don't want, however, is for him to simply ape what he hears around him because he misguidedly thinks it's cool.

ioan
6th November 2012, 21:17

Ever heard about freedom of speech?! I guess not.
Now go shut your kids in a safe otherwise they might grow up and be ready for the life that's expecting them out there.

ioan
6th November 2012, 21:21
None you puritans can say that you never used swear words in front of any kids ever, so just stop being hypocrites.

PS: Interesting fact, I noticed that it is mostly Lewis fans who were up in arms against Vettel's F'up slip. Henners being the obvious exception this time (maybe there were others but I didn't go through all the pages but the last and first ones).

ioan
6th November 2012, 21:22
No it's not.

No we don't.

And I do NOT believe you.

Tazio
6th November 2012, 21:54
In my dysfunctional country our most popular sports have very strong, consistant, efficient commisions, and comissioners. That kind of crap just does not fly here!

The NBA announced Tuesday that Lakers guard Steve Blake has been fined $25,000 for “directing inappropriate language toward a fan” during the closing minute of a Friday night game between the Lakers and ClippersNBA fines Lakers (http://nba.si.com/2012/11/06/nba-fines-lakers-steve-blake-for-swearing-at-a-fan/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owPEf3m2h9A&feature=player_embedded

gloomyDAY
7th November 2012, 05:47
Ever heard about freedom of speech?! I guess not.
Now go shut your kids in a safe otherwise they might grow up and be ready for the life that's expecting them out there.Dude, where have you been?

F16
7th November 2012, 06:46
Unfortunately swearing is around our kids whether we like it or not. I've let many a word slip in front of children in the family and friends children and find a simple apology avoids sanctions of any kind.
This works otherwise to me, it may sound harsh my kid warns me anytime I call a dog, try better word to name a dog, guffy or anything else ;)

SGWilko
7th November 2012, 08:41
Are you Mad? If kids think it's something they're not supposed to hear, you can bet they'll move heaven and hell to hear it nd then mke sure their friends do too :D

Aha, you mean something like Channel 4's red triangle ploy - for programs with sexual content that kids should not watch? Yup, tried my darndest at the time to watch those, but as we only the one telly at the time, and my folks were wise to my subterfuge....... ;)

SGWilko
7th November 2012, 08:52
This may well be an OTT thought here, but apply the swearing logic to sex.

We hear in the news of 11 year olds raping young girls, because they think it's normal due to their exposure to hardcore pornography on their smartphones, or their unsupervised use of their PC's at home.

You hear young kids swearing not because they know what it means, but because they hear others swearing and think it is normal.

My daughter was sitting on the loo last year, and my son in the bathroom next door cleaning his teeth. Out of the blue I hear '****ing hell', but didn't register it (non belief I think) but my boy pipes up 'dad, Charlotte uesd the F word!'

'What does that mean?' I ask her, 'don't know' she says! 'So why did you say it?' 'because my friends say it'.

Just because 'they are going to hear it anyway' does not excuse those in a position of authority/media bods to use it as and when they feel they want to when being broadcast live.

Freedom of speech BTW does not mean you can shout offensive obscenities in public ioan. There are after all laws against that. Personally, I want my kids to be law obiding. When they are old enough to make their own informed decisions, then they can do what they like, so long as they are prepared to accept any consequences if they overstep the line.

The Black Knight
7th November 2012, 09:19
This may well be an OTT thought here, but apply the swearing logic to sex.

We hear in the news of 11 year olds raping young girls, because they think it's normal due to their exposure to hardcore pornography on their smartphones, or their unsupervised use of their PC's at home.

You hear young kids swearing not because they know what it means, but because they hear others swearing and think it is normal.

My daughter was sitting on the loo last year, and my son in the bathroom next door cleaning his teeth. Out of the blue I hear '****ing hell', but didn't register it (non belief I think) but my boy pipes up 'dad, Charlotte uesd the F word!'

'What does that mean?' I ask her, 'don't know' she says! 'So why did you say it?' 'because my friends say it'.

Just because 'they are going to hear it anyway' does not excuse those in a position of authority/media bods to use it as and when they feel they want to when being broadcast live.

Freedom of speech BTW does not mean you can shout offensive obscenities in public ioan. There are after all laws against that. Personally, I want my kids to be law obiding. When they are old enough to make their own informed decisions, then they can do what they like, so long as they are prepared to accept any consequences if they overstep the line.

And what did you say to her after this? Did you inform her that it was wrong or did you just go around complaining about what her friends say just like people have been here about Sebastien?

SGWilko
7th November 2012, 09:26
And what did you say to her after this? Did you inform her that it was wrong or did you just go around complaining about what her friends say just like people have been here about Sebastien?

I merely left it (not wishing to make a big issue of it and draw attention to it) that repeating a word she does not know or understand without asking us what it means is silly.

Hey, just because I reply and contribute to a thread, does not mean I go around complaining! To suggest as much is as senseless as swearing for no apparent reason.

The Black Knight
7th November 2012, 09:34
I merely left it (not wishing to make a big issue of it and draw attention to it) that repeating a word she does not know or understand without asking us what it means is silly.

Hey, just because I reply and contribute to a thread, does not mean I go around complaining! To suggest as much is as senseless as swearing for no apparent reason.

I never said you did, I simply asked. An excellent approach though. Out of interest, did she swear again after that?

SGWilko
7th November 2012, 09:41
She has done it once since just recently funnily enough! I dread to think if she repeats it away from the home...

When my son cusses, he shouts Chuffing Nora, generally because I use that when D.I.Y. goes wrong and I need to shout my dissaproval within earshot of the kids!

SGWilko
7th November 2012, 09:49
My Grandfather (ex copper - proper old school in the days when they wore capes) NEVER swore in front of us!

When I was 11 or 12, we were making a hosepipe reel together out of wood scraps. He was banging nails and whacked his thumb.

He shouted 'b0llocks'. I was devastated that he swore!

Tazio
8th November 2012, 14:37
IMO The FIA should have fined them, that is the kind of suggestion that they would understand.

F1boat
8th November 2012, 19:02
BBC Sport - Formula 1 drivers warned over using bad language in interviews (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20253052)

**** ;)

DexDexter
8th November 2012, 19:33
There was actually more foul language in front of the cameras than you guys realize. When they were waiting to go to the podium Vettel, who speaks a few words of Finnish, said to Kimi: "At least now the "mulkut" will shut up!" "Mulkut" is a vulgar expression for a penis. I guess Vettel is referring to the press who keep on questioning Kimi's this and that. :)

Vetteliltä jäätävä kommentti Kimille! - "Nyt m*lkut pitävät turpansa kiinni" | Formulat | Iltalehti.fi (http://www.iltalehti.fi/formulat/2012110816306213_fo.shtml)

kfzmeister
9th November 2012, 01:31
For Kimi to say sh!t is pretty normal. Justin saying "fark on the podium is just plain stupid. What a tool.

CNR
9th November 2012, 04:30
Pardon My F*?#$! French (http://www.smh.com.au/national/pardon-my-f-french-20120724-22n9l.html)

there is also evidence that swearing can make you feel better. Recent research by Britain's Keele University found that swearing can produce short-term pain relief - although the effect was greater for people who don't swear regularly. The findings replicated early research that showed people can withstand an ice-cold water challenge for longer by repeatedly swearing, compared with those who used neutral words.

Read more: Pardon My F*?#$! French (http://www.smh.com.au/national/pardon-my-f-french-20120724-22n9l.html#ixzz2BhFtdK7s)

Tazio
9th November 2012, 05:22
swearing can produce short-term pain relief -Pardon My F*?#$! French (http://www.smh.com.au/national/pardon-my-f-french-20120724-22n9l.html) --so can a hit off of a crack pipe, similarly you do run a fair risk of developing a bad habit.

The Black Knight
9th November 2012, 08:15
I'm kind of thinking that Kimi would have got away with it were it only him but when Vettel copied him then that's when people got their panties in a twist.

The Black Knight
9th November 2012, 08:59
I think you are right. We've had drivers make slip ups in the past like Coulthard, Webber and Kimi, but there has been an apology straight afterwards and without much fuss. Vettel swore very soon after Kimi and it brought it more to the viewers attention. I got the impression it wasn't so much as a slip up as it was with Kimi. Anyway I support the FIA in reminding drivers about such things as it will cause offence to some. There are many countries around the world where swearing in English is not offensive at all, but in most western cultures its broadcast is prohibited before a certain time of night. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have introduced topless grid girls in Abu Dhabi and offended their entire culture even if most of us would probably quite enjoy the spectacle lol. Its just standards that need to be maintained. I've laughed in the past when drivers have sworn live on air and part of that amusement is because you know they shouldn't have done it. Its certainly not something that should be encouraged, but I also don't understand why so much fuss has been made of this latest incident. Just warn the drivers about the expected conduct and move on. It really shouldn't overshadow what actually happened in the race IMO. :)

I agree with everything you said there. Way too much fuss has been made over this. I still believe that there are plenty of ways around these kinds of issues for parents and SGWilko gave one of the many ways to handle your kids hearing profanities, which they will hear anyway and it can't be avoided. A warning was warranted I guess but that's about it. I'm more surprised we have 8 pages on it here. Bordering on being a "curse-gate" now :)

Mia 01
9th November 2012, 09:00
Theres a lot of hypocrits in the world.

CaptainRaiden
9th November 2012, 09:59
Drivers instructed not to swear in interviews - GPUpdate.net (http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/286975/drivers-instructed-not-to-swear-in-interviews/)

I find it funny how saintly DC is acting now. One Google search with his name and all his supermodel yacht orgies will come up. While it's a topic of great interest for us, I don't think people would want their kids necessarily knowing about that.

And then there's this:

Zv73fN8eJTU

tlLONRhdsdo

Tazio
9th November 2012, 16:25
but I also don't understand why so much fuss has been made of this latest incident. Just warn the drivers about the expected conduct and move on. It really shouldn't overshadow what actually happened in the race IMO. I don't know why there is so much fuss made out of anything that happens off the track, and I used to think it was just a Western Euro paparazzi phenomenon, something that we are impervious to in the U.S.
I think there was some truth to that, until the modern social media got a hold of us by “the short hairs” Now I realize I'm just old, and behind the times. :( ;)

SGWilko
9th November 2012, 16:44
hold of us by “the short hairs”

Being grabbed by the 'short and curlies' or even worse, by the 'fuzz' is not good.... ;)

Tazio
9th November 2012, 17:12
even worse In the words of one of your fav Rockers:
"Give us dirty laundry"

SGWilko
9th November 2012, 17:14
In the words of one of your fav Rockers:
"Give us dirty laundry"

Well remembered!

AndyL
9th November 2012, 18:54
I'm more surprised we have 8 pages on it here. Bordering on being a "curse-gate" now :)

If you took out all the posts from people either commenting on how many posts are being made on this topic, or discussing the finer points of child-rearing, there would probably be about 2 pages of discussion about what Seb and Kimi actually said :)

Tazio
9th November 2012, 20:48
I'm not OT because I'm about to say #### :p :
I found a lot of the avatars I use on this site:
All Formula One Info - Formula One Past Teams (http://www.allf1.info/teams/teams.php)
Also a lot of good (obscure) info. I've had good luck with Lotus, Walter Wolf, Shadow, and Ligier. However my secret weapons are Williams and Sauber which I plan to bust out for the last two races :champion: :mark: :angel:

IceWizard
9th November 2012, 21:01
I think that those complaining about Vettel are going a bit OT and as for Kimi, I don't see that there is any case to answer. Since when was s*** considered a swear word? It's just a slang term. While we're on the subject of events that took place on the podium, why are people not up in arms about Vettel tipping rose water over DC? Does that not also set a bad example?

jens
10th November 2012, 18:10
I may swear, when I am alone. But I don't swear among people. Or should I say - I have trained this out of myself. Because I have realized it doesn't add anything to interaction with other people - if anything, it would make them feel more uncomfortable.

In the text above I didn't include deep emotional moments, which I can understand and can affect all of us to using harsh words. I can also understand drivers swearing on team radio in the heat of the moment.

Also there are cases, where a 'swear word' can be used within a very good context. But in this case swearing itself isn't the goal, it just fits in there naturally. We would be discussing/remembering the sentence itself, and the highlight wouldn't be on that sole word.

In the case of neither Kimi nor Sebastian was there a deep emotional moment nor a context, which required a swear word. In the end it doesn't really matter much, but I can understand people to who it sounded immature.

What should Kimi and Seb conclude from it? Hopefully they won't make a habit out of it. Even if they think it may be fun for once, it certainly isn't if it was a lifestyle.

Warriwa
11th November 2012, 08:13
I think that those complaining about Vettel are going a bit OT and as for Kimi, I don't see that there is any case to answer. Since when was s*** considered a swear word? It's just a slang term. While we're on the subject of events that took place on the podium, why are people not up in arms about Vettel tipping rose water over DC? Does that not also set a bad example?

I have to agree. Seeing Vettel do that made me cringe. DC was clearly pissed off, he was still interviewing Kimi and did his best to ignore Seb. I even think Vettel was embarrassed about his own joke going wrong.