PDA

View Full Version : Richest rally drivers in the World

Mihai
2nd November 2012, 20:04
I'm thinking about rally drivers with a huge fortune, a.k.a. filthy rich sportsmen involved in rallying.

My Top 3 :

Michał Sołowow
Aris Vovos
Marco Tempestini

Do you know more rich people involved in rallying ? I'm not sure, but Ireland has a few millionares / billionares that spend their weekends on tarmac rallies.

EightGear
2nd November 2012, 20:57
René Kuipers sold his company for about 90 millon or something.

tolis
2nd November 2012, 21:01
René Kuipers sold his company for about 90 millon or something.
FERM you mean?

EightGear
2nd November 2012, 22:11
No, "Norit" a company producing pills against diarrhea. :p

I'm not sure he sold it though, but he was some kind of boss there. His estimated capital is about 95 million euro.

MartijnS
2nd November 2012, 23:56
Van Merksteijn family around 180 million I believe..

Sulland
3rd November 2012, 00:05
What about some of the gulf drivers, Nasser Al Attiyah or the others?

MartijnS
3rd November 2012, 00:09
Van Merksteijn family around 180 million euro.
Erik van Loon around 140 million euro.
Bernhard ten Brinke around 65 million euro.
We've had Frits van Eerd as a former Dutch champ, whose family has a estimated value of 500 million euro.'

But I guess that the Arabian guys beat most of these guys ;)

ProRally
3rd November 2012, 08:20
What about some of the gulf drivers, Nasser Al Attiyah or the others?

Nasser is doing ok now, but comes from 'normal' Qatari family, although there seems to be a connection the Emir of Qatar.
Talking Arab drivers, then Yazeed Al-Rajhi and Sheikh Khalid Al Qassimi are not doing bad, hard to guestimate their fortunes. But more then most here on this forum :D :D :D

Mirek
3rd November 2012, 08:21
What is this topic good for?

ProRally
3rd November 2012, 13:39
What is this topic good for?

Just chit chat Mirek, not everything HAS to be serious on the forum :D :D :D

noel157
3rd November 2012, 17:14
This has what to do with European Rallying?

Hartusvuori
3rd November 2012, 17:39
Why so sensitive about money? Money plays bigger role in rallying than it does in many other sports - or at least in rallying the role is different in way that the athlete pays in most cases huge amounts of money, not vice versa. I find this very interesting. Is there for example any Dutch driver that isn't a multimillionaire? Abbring?

Money was hot topic this week in Finland as annual tax data was published on Thursday. For example Marcus Grönholm had some 2,7 million euros of unearned income in 2011 (4,3 m€ in 2010). He should manage - though of course in this topic that's only pocket money for some. Other well-known rally driving money man, Mattias Therman, "only" 500 000 euros of unearned income in 2011, as opposed to 28,2 m€ in 2008. No wonder he opted for S2000 in this year's NORF.

EightGear
3rd November 2012, 21:07
All proper Dutch drivers are no millionair. Weijs, Abbring... That's the problem.

driveace
4th November 2012, 10:44
On the other hand there have been in the UK quite a few drivers who,s income has been questionable.There have been drivers who have been into all sorts of "illegal" acts to subsidise their Motorsport .Maybe not now as much as in the 80s and 90s !

Langdale Forest
4th November 2012, 21:02
On the other hand there have been in the UK quite a few drivers who,s income has been questionable.There have been drivers who have been into all sorts of "illegal" acts to subsidise their Motorsport .Maybe not now as much as in the 80s and 90s !

Any examples?

tommeke_B
4th November 2012, 21:24
All proper Dutch drivers are no millionair. Weijs, Abbring... That's the problem.
But their families (Weijs, Abbring) still had enough money for a good "first push" ;) They're probably not rich like Van Merksteijn or Kuipers but still far from a normal working man... ;)

EightGear
4th November 2012, 21:57
But their families (Weijs, Abbring) still had enough money for a good "first push" ;) They're probably not rich like Van Merksteijn or Kuipers but still far from a normal working man... ;)

Yes, but the Dutch Federation played a big role in their careers as well.

It is just a shame that the big money is not being spend on the top drivers.

br21
5th November 2012, 08:31

Surely that's not true with Abbring, they are normal family. In his case federation, olympic committee, and private sponsors helped a lot. Weijs family may be richer, but also not capable of financing whole rally program.

Nornbugger
8th November 2012, 08:52
Any examples?

Toxic firms leave £80m debt bill - 102 directors banned in 18 months in Northern Ireland - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/toxic-firms-leave-80m-debt-bill-102-directors-banned-in-18-months-in-northern-ireland-16235274.html)

there is a recent example in this, he drove a couple of nice Focus WRCs. Not the best side of the sport but reasonably common in the british isles and beyond too I'm sure?