PDA

View Full Version : Is 2013 going to be like 2012?

zako85
23rd October 2012, 01:14
It seems like the 2013 car design will be a "dead end" design because the cars will have to be redesigned significantly around the new V6 engine for 2014. I have heard that Lotus is already working on their 2014 car. What I think can happen is that relatively little effort will be put into designing 2013 cars, and their development will stop early in the 2014 season except for the cars with close chances to win the 2013 championship. The 2013 car regulations themselves are not much different from 2012. There is a possibility that the relative performance of 2013 cars is not going to be much different compared to what we see at the end of 2012. Discuss.

Robinho
23rd October 2012, 02:32
There is also a chance for a mid field team to invest heavily in next year's car knowing the top teams have an eye on 2014 and they might have an opportunity to upset the establishment for a season. There is a good chance the top guys will opt for basic evolutions of this year whilst pouring resources into the new cars for 2014 when they will consider the returns for getting a head start are greater. Maybe as a result we will see a Williams, sauber or force India on the podium a few more times as they go for short term success and exposure

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Malbec
23rd October 2012, 07:38
The Pirelli designs are going to be changed yet again so even if they carried on using 2012 cars into 2013 we'd see a different type of racing. We won't know till the first third of the season is over how it'll be.

Bezza
23rd October 2012, 10:07
Red Bull will blitz 2013 as almost everybody else is focusing on 2014. Newey always has his tricks in getting the aero right and I expect 2013 to be similar to 2011 (sadly).

A FONDO
24th October 2012, 11:36
I don't believe the big teams will waste the season. There is so much money involved in F1 to win or lose. If a team will try to save money, it will be a midfield one.

zako85
25th October 2012, 02:41
I think it's logical to assume that no team will "waste" the complete 2013 season. However, it's highly likely that a lot of teams will fold their 2013 car development some time in mid-2013 and will concentrate on 2014 car. This will probably be the time when some manufacturers will have precise final engine specs for them.

The similarity between 2012 and 2013 cars should be highly expected. This time there will be few regulation changes, and so teams can pour money into 2012 car development knowing that it will be mostly the same car next year. At the same time, I think a lot of teams will refrain from a radical car redesign for 2013 knowing that their investment will pay off for just one year (witness the number of teams that did not use blown diffusers in 2011 because they were expecting this to be an dead end technology in 2012)

wedge
25th October 2012, 16:11
DDRS will be banned but Lotus' passive DDRS isn't. Whether that will be the next year's silver bullet who know's? Perhaps unlikely judging how it arguably is a white elephant during FP.

zako85
25th October 2012, 22:02
DDRS will be banned but Lotus' passive DDRS isn't. Whether that will be the next year's silver bullet who know's? Perhaps unlikely judging how it arguably is a white elephant during FP.

It seems like DDRS hasn't helped Mercedes much anyways. Rosberg's win in China was impressive, but then they slipped even with their DDRS.

wedge
26th October 2012, 15:09
It seems like DDRS hasn't helped Mercedes much anyways. Rosberg's win in China was impressive, but then they slipped even with their DDRS.

No rest for the wicked.

RBR have DDRS. There is debate over how exactly it is achieved but allegedly since Japan they have had the advantage of running more downforce in quali and better straightline speed.

There are also conspiracy theories that McLaren are running DDRS.

AndyL
26th October 2012, 17:14
There are also conspiracy theories that McLaren are running DDRS.

Given that Red Bull's wasn't spotted at the first race they used it, I guess it's possible.

steveaki13
27th October 2012, 09:27
I think that 2013 might see a close season, but one which Red Bull win again. Then moving to 2014 the field will spread out I fancy before each season closing little by little.

However next season we have a new redeveloped Pirelli range, so that may stop Red Bull in there track.

If 2013 is another 2011 and Seb wins 4 in a row. We will all be hoping someone else gets the jump for 2014 or Seb goes to Ferrari.

steveaki13
28th October 2012, 10:12
Seeing this race today got me thinking. If teams do just settle for developing this years cars rather than a major re design. Then with whatever Red Bull have found now, is leading to the prospect of a relive of 2011.

I hope not, but thats my fear. I have nothing against Vettel & Red Bull per say, but for F1 we need an exciting championship and hopefully a different champion. Especially if Seb wins this years forr 3 in a row.

Big Ben
29th October 2012, 07:31
Not even 2012 is like 2012 anymore.

wedge
29th October 2012, 14:39
Seeing this race today got me thinking. If teams do just settle for developing this years cars rather than a major re design. Then with whatever Red Bull have found now, is leading to the prospect of a relive of 2011.

I hope not, but thats my fear. I have nothing against Vettel & Red Bull per say, but for F1 we need an exciting championship and hopefully a different champion. Especially if Seb wins this years forr 3 in a row.

As I said, its DDRS and its banned next year.

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/RBR_DDRS_Beamslots.jpg

Analysis: Red Bull DDRS | ScarbsF1.com (http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2012/10/15/analysis-red-bull-ddrs/)

BBC Sport - Gary Anderson column: Red Bull?s secrets revealed (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20118852)

steveaki13
30th October 2012, 19:36
As I said, its DDRS and its banned next year.

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/RBR_DDRS_Beamslots.jpg

Analysis: Red Bull DDRS | ScarbsF1.com (http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2012/10/15/analysis-red-bull-ddrs/)

BBC Sport - Gary Anderson column: Red Bull?s secrets revealed (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20118852)

Ok didn't see that, sorry. Cheers Wedge.

I personally hope that can help keep the field close like we had at the beggining of this season.

dj_bytedisaster
31st October 2012, 09:10
Ok didn't see that, sorry. Cheers Wedge.

I personally hope that can help keep the field close like we had at the beggining of this season.

The field wasn't close at the beginning of the season. Whoever had a stroke of luck with the setup, won the race, because nobody could make any sense of Pirelli's comedy tires. Without that, I think the McLarens would have been quite a distance ahead by mid-season.

wedge
31st October 2012, 20:19
The field wasn't close at the beginning of the season. Whoever had a stroke of luck with the setup, won the race, because nobody could make any sense of Pirelli's comedy tires. Without that, I think the McLarens would have been quite a distance ahead by mid-season.

Some of the races were close in terms of pace: Australia, Bahrain, Monaco, Canada.

As well as the tyres teams were scratching their heads over coanda sidepods, blown diffusers, tyre squirt, DDRS, etc; as well as cars peaking in different conditions over a GP weekend.