PDA

View Full Version : Design of a Dry Sump System (Wet Sump Replacement)

J_Bowyer
22nd October 2012, 21:17
Hello all,

Firstly apologies for my first thread beginning with a question, but I'm hoping somebody can help me.

As part of my Mechanical Engineering degree I have been given the task of designing a dry sump lubrication system to replace the wet sump found in a standard Fiesta Zetec engine (The design will include the oil pan, scavenge tubes, inlet tube to existing oil pump, but not the new oil reservoir or pump. The assignment in brief is to undertake research, carry out a detailed design specification and to come up with a number of concept ideas before creating a 3D CAD model of the final design. For purposes of the assignment, it has been stated that the finished part will be used for racing, (track) events.

I have little knowledge of dry / wet lubrication systems, apart from the basics as to how each work. So, I'm hoping somebody can help with the following points:

1. I will need to undertake Quality Function Deployment (QFD) Strategy. I assume the that the customer requirements will be the following, but what aspects of design affect these most:

* Easy to take on / off
* Reliable
* Lightweight
* Impact ressitant
* No oil at any one time
* Simplicity of gasket sealing
* Shallow (To allow the engine to be placed lower down for better handling - Is this correct?).

Can anyone think of any other customer requirements I could include? Or are there any important factors I should take into account in the design.

2. How do scavenge points effect performance / reliability - Is it best to keep it simple and have 1, or is it better to have multiple.
3. How does the depth of the pan effect performance - i.e is it better to have a deeper pan to avoid oil moving around when cornering, and is this likely to happen if it's too shallow.
4. Should I just go for a sloped design from one end to another, or is it best to have multiple scavenge points, or the oil draining to 1 central location??

I will also need to undertake a selection criteria matrix - For this, which of the criteria stated above is most and least important?. I'm guessing I can give cost a low weighting, and things like weight and reliability a high weighting score.

Apologies for asking so much, and in a messy way - But if anyone can help me or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. I have a lot of research to do before I start coming up with concept designs, but if anyone could recommend roughly what shape pan I should be aiming for etc, that would be great!

Thanks very much,

Jordan

D-Type
22nd October 2012, 22:29
Have you thought of writing to Ford's competition department and ask their advice. You never know: The odds are they've already done it. - if not on the Zetec on one of their other designs. If they haven't they might well give you some help in exchange for a copy of your design.

Another customer requirement will be ease of manufacture. And another technical advantage is the freedom from surge problems on corners.

Good luck!

J_Bowyer
24th October 2012, 17:28
Have you thought of writing to Ford's competition department and ask their advice. You never know: The odds are they've already done it. - if not on the Zetec on one of their other designs. If they haven't they might well give you some help in exchange for a copy of your design.

Another customer requirement will be ease of manufacture. And another technical advantage is the freedom from surge problems on corners.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response D-Type, much appreciated!.. Writing to Ford's competition department is a great idea - Any idea where I'm likely to be able to find a contact e-mail address?

D-Type
24th October 2012, 19:37
No idea. You could ask at your local Ford dealer (do they still have some designated as Ford-Sport I wonder?). I would suggest writing rather than e-mail - it's all too easy to hit the 'delete' button and not bother to answer while you can always pass a letter on.

J_Bowyer
24th October 2012, 22:19
No idea. You could ask at your local Ford dealer (do they still have some designated as Ford-Sport I wonder?). I would suggest writing rather than e-mail - it's all too easy to hit the 'delete' button and not bother to answer while you can always pass a letter on.

Good point made about writing a letter rather than sending an e-mail. I will visit my local Ford dealer, and see if they can point me in the right direction.

Thanks very much again for your help!... Along with your comments, and a little more research I now have a good idea what I'm doing.