PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Drivers of BTCC 2012

MAX_THRUST
21st October 2012, 13:12
Posting this with two races left to go in the season. But for me the most disapointing friver is Andy Neate. Compared to his team mate he has been absolutely dyer. How did he get his drive?

Best of 2012 guess we have to wait till all three races are done today.

BDunnell
21st October 2012, 13:40
It's well-known, surely? He brings a lot of money to the team, to the extent that his backing is crucial to its very existence.

MAX_THRUST
21st October 2012, 14:27
Well that proves the point. Neate is anything but. What an idiot.....He should be banned for that stupid move. How much has he just cost everyone?

BDunnell
21st October 2012, 14:42
I wouldn't mind if he was just a bit uncompetitive — and, on occasion, he's turned in some great qualifying performances — but he does seem to get caught up in a lot of incidents.

Alfa Fan
21st October 2012, 15:03
Horrendous amount of damage caused by Neate. Heard he's not a certainty at MG next season, hope he doesn't come back.

BDunnell
21st October 2012, 15:11
Horrendous amount of damage caused by Neate. Heard he's not a certainty at MG next season, hope he doesn't come back.

Well, if MG are serious about winning the manufacturers' championship, they either need a third car or someone else in the second one.

christophulus
21st October 2012, 15:11
Was it Mike Jordan who suggested there were a few people with wallets bigger than their talents??

On the up side though, there have been far more positive performances than negative ones this year. Overall I'd say the standard is generally pretty high, although everyone is prone to the odd stupid move.

BDunnell
21st October 2012, 15:18
On the up side though, there have been far more positive performances than negative ones this year. Overall I'd say the standard is generally pretty high, although everyone is prone to the odd stupid move.

I generally agree. Again, I'd say that not all the 'pay drivers' deserve just to be dismissed. We've seen Jeff Smith and Nick Foster turning in some good performances, for example.

Someone that's disappointed me slightly is Adam Morgan. Yes, it's his first season, but he seems to have struggled repeatedly to turn some excellent qualifying efforts and grid positions into results. Sadly it's a pattern that's continued into this final meeting. Proof that, despite what some might say, the BTCC does still represent a steep learning curve even for a talented driver?

MAX_THRUST
21st October 2012, 15:34
Good point about Morgan

Alfa Fan
21st October 2012, 15:44
Visitors found this page by searching for: touring car drivers are the worst drivers

Brown, Jon Brow
21st October 2012, 17:55
Andy Neate is a danger to other drivers. He just doesn't know how to race. He reminds me of idiots you find on xbox live racing games who don't show any respect to other competitors.

JasonPotato
21st October 2012, 18:37
Andy Neate is a danger to other drivers. He just doesn't know how to race. He reminds me of idiots you find on xbox live racing games who don't show any respect to other competitors.

Yeh theres plenty of those! Neate is just a poor driver but the MG was just awful today.

BDunnell
21st October 2012, 21:11
Turns out Neate was fined and had points put on his licence for an incident involving Wrathall in the first race today. No penalty for his race two shenanigans, it seems.

Iain
21st October 2012, 22:47
Someone that's disappointed me slightly is Adam Morgan. Yes, it's his first season, but he seems to have struggled repeatedly to turn some excellent qualifying efforts and grid positions into results. Sadly it's a pattern that's continued into this final meeting. Proof that, despite what some might say, the BTCC does still represent a steep learning curve even for a talented driver?

Frank Wrathall who was his predecessor as Ginetta champion, did well last season, but Morgan was poor this year. Although I am wondering if he wanted to be there in the first place.

Positives have to be Newsham and Aron Smith. It does prove that the Clio Cup can produce good, clean drivers. It's unfortunate that we haven't seen more like them. We've only seen Tom Onslow-Cole step up and establish himself in recent years, while champions like Rivett, Winrow, Fildes, Adam and Buxton never really had a chance, or at least more than a few races in the case of Buxton and a second season in Adam's case.

BDunnell
21st October 2012, 23:26
Positives have to be Newsham and Aron Smith.

Yes, both have been excellent. In Newsham's case, further progress surely depends on whether he can get himself into some truly top-line equipment. Smith's pace in the second half of the season, after being told by Plato that he didn't deserve a racing licence, is if anything even more impressive. He ought to have a very bright future — I also think he conducts himself in front of the cameras well.

It does prove that the Clio Cup can produce good, clean drivers. It's unfortunate that we haven't seen more like them. We've only seen Tom Onslow-Cole step up and establish himself in recent years, while champions like Rivett, Winrow, Fildes, Adam and Buxton never really had a chance, or at least more than a few races in the case of Buxton and a second season in Adam's case.

I agree — and it's the usual problem of finances behind it.

Talking of ex-Clio drivers, did you see Daniel Lloyd's stunning overtaking move in the Porsche race today, right round the outside at Sheene? One of the best passes I've ever seen in a race on the Brands GP circuit. There is a driver whose one BTCC appearance proved he deserved more.

BDunnell
21st October 2012, 23:35
Oh, and praise must also go to Lea Wood. I think he could be pretty good given a decent car.

Bezza
22nd October 2012, 08:35
Paul Rivett and Jack Goff both deserve regular drives in the BTCC.

We need more manufacturer backing though to avoid the pay-driver issue. Neate is the tip of the iceberg, about 75% of the field are not good enough in my opinion.

I am evil Homer
22nd October 2012, 09:43
Worst:

Neate - lacked pace, always seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Best:

Aron Smith - shaky start but second half of the season he seemed to knuckle down and showed his skills
Wrathall - small team and I think it showed that they struggled to get the best out of the Avensis at times but Frank kept his head down and raced well. Deserved victory yesterday.

BDunnell
22nd October 2012, 10:33
We need more manufacturer backing though to avoid the pay-driver issue.

Or more sponsors willing to take a chance on drivers of the necessary calibre.

Neate is the tip of the iceberg, about 75% of the field are not good enough in my opinion.

I think that's something of an exaggeration. I can understand it being said of those drivers who are constantly off the pace that 'they're not good enough', but this is far from true of three quarters of the field. Your view also ignores any sense of historical perspective. I would far rather have the grid as it is now than the driver line-up of much of the Sierra Cosworth era, looked back on by some as a golden age — or, indeed, a load of ex-F1 drivers doing the BTCC for want of anything better (see David Brabham, Jean-Christophe Boullion...)

Iain
22nd October 2012, 11:08
Smith's pace in the second half of the season, after being told by Plato that he didn't deserve a racing licence, is if anything even more impressive. He ought to have a very bright future — I also think he conducts himself in front of the cameras well.

He really has impressed. As you say, he conducts himself well and he's improved a lot since his Clio days. Plus he's a better driver than his big brother ever was in his two seasons with Triple Eight. He's a very well-financed pay driver, but he's got the ability to justify it.

Talking of ex-Clio drivers, did you see Daniel Lloyd's stunning overtaking move in the Porsche race today, right round the outside at Sheene? One of the best passes I've ever seen in a race on the Brands GP circuit. There is a driver whose one BTCC appearance proved he deserved more.

Yes that was very good. He seems to have adapted to Porsches very quickly, considering he was racing VW Sciroccos in Germany last year, then Clios the year before.

I think that's something of an exaggeration. I can understand it being said of those drivers who are constantly off the pace that 'they're not good enough', but this is far from true of three quarters of the field. Your view also ignores any sense of historical perspective. I would far rather have the grid as it is now than the driver line-up of much of the Sierra Cosworth era, looked back on by some as a golden age — or, indeed, a load of ex-F1 drivers doing the BTCC for want of anything better (see David Brabham, Jean-Christophe Boullion...)

Very true. Much of the Sierra era featured pay drivers too, which people tend to forget. Apart from the sponsors like Kaliber and Labatts, it was mostly businessmen living the dream or guys involved in the motorsport industry trying to promote their businesses through racing. Brabham and Bouillion are superb sportscar drivers, but they just couldn't get the hang of touring cars and that didn't do their image much good.

We will never get a lot of proper manufacturer efforts again, just the token efforts that Honda and MG have provided. Supply the team with shells and panels and pay for the hospitality, but don't put an enormous amount of funds in.

BDunnell
23rd October 2012, 23:54
We will never get a lot of proper manufacturer efforts again, just the token efforts that Honda and MG have provided. Supply the team with shells and panels and pay for the hospitality, but don't put an enormous amount of funds in.

I have never seen anything wrong with that. The era of huge manufacturer support in the BTCC was nice, but (a) an anomaly and (b) unsustainable. I don't feel manufacturers are the be-all and end-all of any motorsport formula; indeed, as we all know, there are many disadvantages regarding their involvement.

Mykweb
28th October 2012, 14:11
In regards to the best driver of 2012 i would say its aron smith. He has been strong in that focus. When heis out front he can holders own. I do however think his offing of Plato at Knockhill was wrong but he is good.

as for worst driver. Defiantly andy neate. He was a a major ? Mark for me when he was announced as 2nd driver at mg at the start of the season. If Plato had a stronger team mate they could have pushed for the title better,similar to sheds and Neil.

Ppersonally i would like to see Paul o'neil team up with Plato next year in he mg

BDunnell
8th November 2012, 11:51
Frank Wrathall who was his predecessor as Ginetta champion, did well last season, but Morgan was poor this year. Although I am wondering if he wanted to be there in the first place.

Seems like he did, given that he's opting for a second BTCC season in an Avensis run by his family team.

Adam Morgan to race with family-run Cicely team in 2013 BTCC - BTCC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104059)