PDA

View Full Version : NEW Jersey GP is off the 2013 Calendar

truefan72
19th October 2012, 13:16
Formula 1: Ecclestone: New Jersey GP is off - Yahoo! Eurosport UK (http://eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-ecclestone-new-jersey-gp-073956810.html)

LOL, I told you all that this was going to happen
my hope is that Turkey gets back on the calendar, if not I suspect the other Spanish GP circuit will be added back for this year
or an extreme outside chance of Magny Cours

dj_bytedisaster
19th October 2012, 13:28
I suppose "lack of funding" means they couldn't pay the ransom to Al Ecclestone to have a race in the first place? I don't think they'll add a race as a substitute. The season is way too long as it is.

schmenke
19th October 2012, 14:53
I won't shed a tear.
I'm not convinced that two races in the US was ever necessary, nor the need for another street circuit :down: .

dj_bytedisaster
19th October 2012, 14:58
Street courses are not so bad. But why not go to Long Beach or add one of the "proper" racing circuits like Elkhart Lake, Sonoma or Watkins Glen. Instead we get another Tilke'd track in Texas :S

Mark
19th October 2012, 16:41
Any country should not have two races anyway.

AndyL
19th October 2012, 17:22
Any country should not have two races anyway.

I think it's reasonable for a country of that size and population to have two races, if they can fill the grandstands for both. The distance between Austin and New Jersey covers about 8 races in Europe.

heliocastroneves#3
19th October 2012, 17:33
Street courses are not so bad. But why not go to Long Beach or add one of the "proper" racing circuits like Elkhart Lake, Sonoma or Watkins Glen. Instead we get another Tilke'd track in Texas :S

They should NEVER do that. If F1 is going to run on those tracks, the tracks will be "destroyed" with a stupid useless new pit complex and plenty of run-off areas... It's bad enough already that they build a boring Tilkedrome in a country where there are so many beautiful tracks...

Jag_Warrior
19th October 2012, 20:45

After being a real racing destination for so long, and now that Long Beach has become a non-event over the past few years, I'd absolutely love to see a series that people still care about take over that race. They could let the IndyCar series be a Saturday support event in place of GP2 - who would really care? But I think the Long Beach race was bought by Tony George's IRL when it "merged" with Champ Car several years ago. Given that series money and management woes, I doubt Long Beach, or any other permanent road circuit in the U.S., could afford the sanction fees and course improvements that Bernie demands these days. Too bad, really.

I hope to make the Texas race... maybe next year. I've never been to Austin but I hear it's an interesting, fun place. But I had absolutely no intention of going to the Snooki Grand Prix street race in Joysey anyway.

Mark
19th October 2012, 20:50
Don't forget that Long Beach was originally a Formula 1 race.

Jag_Warrior
20th October 2012, 04:45

Ah yes, the good old days. At one time, Long Beach (as an F1 race and then as a CART race) was one of the most watched and followed races in the U.S. It, along with the Indy 500, 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Daytona 500, Monaco and several other international races, was part of the Grand Prix Tours offerings back in the early to mid 90's. I used to get brochures and plan (or dream of) race trips with my then fiancee. Now I doubt most people would even know what you're talking about if you mentioned the Long Beach Grand Prix. :(

I'd love to see F1 come back to Long Beach and bring the luster back. But I'd also love to fit into the slacks that I could easily wear in 1993. That ain't happening either. Another :(

Don Capps
20th October 2012, 19:42

With the qualifying event -- when such things still existed and were required -- being a Formula 5000 race. That the Grand Prix of Long Beach lasted as long as it did as a formula 1 event always amazed me, given that it always seemed to be on the verge of not making the ends meet financially as Bernard Gekko used FOCA as a means to keep upping the ante. Personally, losing F1 at Long Beach was no great loss. Then again, F1 would disappear and I would neither notice or care.

Not very surprised about the New Jersey event, especially given the usual nonsense that is part and parcel of Formula Bernie these days. Nor do I think that Austin will be long for this world for the same reasons. Too bad IndyCar is such a shambles and heading for oblivion since they could probably use a few circuits willing to make a deal....

I can still easily wear the size slacks I wore in 1983...

Jag_Warrior
20th October 2012, 21:10
I can still easily wear the size slacks I wore in 1983...

I hate you! :mad: You're a good guy otherwise, but I do hate you for that.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd October 2012, 01:43
I won't shed a tear.
I'm not convinced that two races in the US was ever necessary, nor the need for another street circuit :down: .

I disagree, I was looking forward to this circuit. It was radical and I don't think it would have been your typical slow street circuit.

That said, they are trying to create a circuit fit for Bernie in an area you wouldn't really think it was possible. That, and doing anything in the Metro NY area is ever as simple as it appears.

jarrambide
24th October 2012, 02:22
I disagree, I was looking forward to this circuit. It was radical and I don't think it would have been your typical slow street circuit.

That said, they are trying to create a circuit fit for Bernie in an area you wouldn't really think it was possible. That, and doing anything in the Metro NY area is ever as simple as it appears.

Don't let Newyorkers see you calling New Jersey part of the NY Metropolitan Area.

jarrambide
24th October 2012, 02:28
..............I hope to make the Texas race... maybe next year. I've never been to Austin but I hear it's an interesting, fun place. But I had absolutely no intention of going to the Snooki Grand Prix street race in Joysey anyway.

A good friend of mine describes Austin as "A wonderful city surrounded by Texas".

Not that I have anything to complain about the Houston Metropolitan Area (very liberal city for Texas standards, museums, opera, ballet. theater companies, symphonic orchestra, sports, very nice people), but Austin is indeed the most liberal city in the state, it is also a weird city, I use weird in the most positive way, people from Austin enjoy the fact that their city is perceived as a weird one.

Austin has a great college scene, which unfortunately I'm old enough not to enjoy, but if you look, you will find that the city has great cuisine and great bars that don't cater to the college crowd, they are not only greaat, they are unpretentious.

steveaki13
26th October 2012, 22:14
Its always a strange idea to have 2 races in one country especially when that country has not had a single race for 5 years.

I wait to see how this years race goes, but I still would be suprised if F1 has 2 races in the US in 2014 and beyond.

truefan72
1st November 2012, 02:31
looks like it might be magny course replacing new jersey, good!
I hope so, don't like the paul ricard circuit at all

schmenke
1st November 2012, 17:13
Well Magny-Cours hasn't exactly produced spectacular racing in the past, but it would be nice to see an event back in the homeland of Formula 1 :)