PDA

View Full Version : Delta Wing on its side

FormerFF
18th October 2012, 03:23
Looks like that configuration of wheels turns over rather easily: Nissan DeltaWing - Attacked in Atlanta - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW7qaG9K2_c)

Robinho
18th October 2012, 04:28
Nasty accident, they certainly need to do something about roll over protection, not nice seeing the guys head getting thrown about when it dug into the grass. Crazy driving from the Porsche as well

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

BDunnell
18th October 2012, 11:19
Nasty accident, they certainly need to do something about roll over protection, not nice seeing the guys head getting thrown about when it dug into the grass. Crazy driving from the Porsche as well

Indeed so. An avoidable accident. I too was surprised by the apparent lack of roll-over protection — maybe those with more knowledge than I have could enlighten us as to why it's deemed acceptable in this configuration?

FormerFF
19th October 2012, 03:30
It appears that the Delta Wing shares one characteristic with an open wheeler, the tendency to go airborne in a side to side hit. the big problem is they're the only car on the track that has that characteristic, for everyone else a side to side bump isn't all that much of an issue.

I hope they got it fixed, I was hoping to see it in action tomorrow.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd October 2012, 02:03
I don't know, it took a side bump from a faster p1 car at LeMans and didn't flip. One accident isn't empirical evidence, it is a Wild Ass guess....

FormerFF
24th October 2012, 04:28
I don't know, it took a side bump from a faster p1 car at LeMans and didn't flip. One accident isn't empirical evidence, it is a Wild Ass guess....

True, but if you watch the video you can see that the rear wheel climbed up the Porsche's rear fender.

In the race it pretty much avoided the other cars. To my eye, it looked like it's strength was in accelerating out of a corner. It looked to give up a little on turn entry but gained on exit.

I'd be interested to see a gaggle of them racing each other.

wedge
1st November 2012, 13:31
Indeed so. An avoidable accident. I too was surprised by the apparent lack of roll-over protection — maybe those with more knowledge than I have could enlighten us as to why it's deemed acceptable in this configuration?

It has twin roll over bars and rather prominent too.

dataman1
2nd November 2012, 15:35
The event took place at the peak of a hill that was setting up for a downhill right hand turn. In my non engineering fly by the seat of my pants feel of a car that would move the weight towards the right hand side making the left lighter. The hit to delta wing was to the left side and as observed it climbed the fender of the striking vehicle. Combine the forces or the right turn with the impact on the left with the loss of ground effects and it tips over. Just a freak set of circumstances? If you have a car set at maximum performance, "on the edge" how much force would be needed to cause an imbalance regardless of the vehicle desgin. Yes, others don't tip over and that is a concern for driver safety. Another safety concern is the same driver takes out a P1 car during the race.