PDA

View Full Version : Curious fact about today's Charlotte race

Alexamateo
13th October 2012, 23:54
With Dale Earnhardt Jr., missing the race with a concussion,this is the first race without an Earnhardt in the starting lineup since the Southern 500 in 1979. That was Dale Sr.'s rookie year and he had a hard crash at Pocono and missed 4 races. Interestingly enough, his replacement, David Pearson, won that race.

The real curiosity is that this is more than likely the first NASCAR Cup series race ever with no native born North Carolinian in the starting lineup. To be sure, most drivers live there or have homes there, but no one in tonight's starting field was born there.

On edit: There were in the 1950's races sometimes scheduled in the same day in different parts of the country. Some of those were in California so they may very well have had no North Carolina drivers, but this is surely the first in modern times.

Sparky1329
14th October 2012, 04:51
The last time I did a count there were more drivers who weren't born in a Southern state than were.

muggle not
14th October 2012, 15:52
It is another sign that the old days of Nascar are gone forever. The older you get the more you long for certain things of olden days. :)

Sparky1329
15th October 2012, 16:28
Time marches on, muggles. There's nothing we can do about that.

Nice to see you. :)

muggle not
15th October 2012, 23:40
Time marches on, muggles. There's nothing we can do about that.

Nice to see you. :)

LOL, yes but the older you get the more you wish you could bring back "some" of the olden day stuff.

Sparky1329
16th October 2012, 06:01
LOL, yes but the older you get the more you wish you could bring back "some" of the olden day stuff.

That's true. I'd love to still have the '57 Chevy I drove in 1961. My other half would love to still have the '55 Chevy he was driving in 1964. They were real CARS. I'd also like to have 5 gallons-for-a-buck gas like we had back then. I can only imagine what my dad would've thought about people having a PC in their homes and a telephone in their pocket.

17th December 2012, 12:42
It sometimes scheduled in the same day in different parts of the country. Some of those were in California so they may very well.