PDA

View Full Version : USA F-1 TV off Speed TV?

booger
12th October 2012, 19:47
Does this mean we'll lose the best broadcast team, Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett? Please tell me it ain't so!!!

Starter
12th October 2012, 19:56
Does this mean we'll lose the best broadcast team, Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett? Please tell me it ain't so!!!
Depends on their contracts. It's possible they could go, as a team, to NBCSC.

Jag_Warrior
14th October 2012, 07:12
I just heard this horrible news! I am literally sick to my stomach right now! I'm not even watching the race. I'll just DVR it. I have no spirit to watch F1 right now. Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett were like constants in my sports viewing life - and auto racing is the only sport that I watch and follow these days. Unlike most of the other Fox related channels, Speed has been a great source of television entertainment for me. Speed has done an amazing job covering F1 all these years. It was a godsend when Speedvision got the contract away from ESPN. I was so happy! But from what I hear, F1 is going to NBC - possibly the only network even worse than ESPN for motorsports. I can dream that they'll have enough sense to beg Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett to come over and tempt them with large sacks of cash. But in reality, they'll probably turn the broadcast commentating over to the town clowns who do the IRL/IndyCar coverage on NBC Sports: Wally Dallenbach, Jon Beekhuis and whatever skid row bum they find walking past their offices, now that Jenkins has retired. #$@$!!_*&$#*!$#!$(~$(#($%%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angryfire :hot:

Lewis is going to Mercedes. Tony George is trying to buy the IndyCar series... so he can finish killing it off. And now this! :mad: So would anyone like to come by my house and shoot my dog?

Hell, nothing good lasts forever. I should know that by now! :rolleyes:

Gone, but never forgotten!

http://img12.imagevenue.com/loc583/th_194625101_speedvision_122_583lo.jpg (http://img12.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_194625101_speedvision_122_583lo.j pg)

N. Jones
14th October 2012, 13:46
I am not sad by afraid of this move. Then new broadcasters is going to try and broaden F1's base by bringing in new faces to commentate and run the pre-race show. I guarantee the majority of F1 fans in America are going to hate them!

I hear it is going to be NBC.. Argh!!! Leave Varsha-Hobbs-Matchett-Buxton together!!!!!!!!

call_me_andrew
14th October 2012, 22:16
It is a shame they're leaving SPEED, but NBC Sports does a great job covering IndyCar so I'm not worried at all.

truefan72
14th October 2012, 22:34
moving it to NBC will have disastrous consequences
I bet you the following will occur

1. majority of races not shown live
2. races packaged and given the "olympics" treatment
3. no showing of FP1, FP2, FP3 and probably no showing of Qualy also
4. no varsha, Hobbs, Matchet
5. some races not shown altogether

:down:

Jag_Warrior
15th October 2012, 01:08
It is a shame they're leaving SPEED, but NBC Sports does a great job covering IndyCar so I'm not worried at all.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or if that's cruel sarcasm. Given the continuing ratings plunge since the IndyCar Series moved to NBC Sports, I must assume that you're kicking the one-eyed, three-legged dog. Bad Andrew. Bad! :vader:

Unless I can find some other means of watching the races (legal or not), and that's highly doubtful, I guess I'll just have to make the best of what looks like a totally crappy situation. All of us unfortunate American F1 fans are in the same boat. So I guess we'll suffer together. :beer:

call_me_andrew
15th October 2012, 02:17
The ratings aren't bad because the coverage is bad. The ratings are bad because it's a channel no one watches.

jarrambide
15th October 2012, 03:01

More than 3/4 of the races and qualys happen during the early hours of the morning or after midnight.
You pay the same to Bernie if you show no qualys or all qualys or if you show some or all races.

NBC will most probably show all qualys live on NBC Sports Network, 2/3 of the races live on NBC Sports Network and then replay those same races on the same channel around 12 PM Central Time and 1/3 of the races on tape on NBC affiliates.

NBC is buying the rights of F1 because NBC Sports Network is in reality Versus that used to be the Outdoor Life Network, a sports network than had the Tour de France, NHL, United Football League, Canadian Football League, and NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour and nothing more, nothing but a filler channel, they need viewers and fast, buying rights to F1 is just another step to try and have good ratings without the Olympic Games.

I love Varsha, Hobbs and Matchet, but I'm sure we will get coverage of all races and qualys.

jarrambide
15th October 2012, 03:04
The ratings aren't bad because the coverage is bad. The ratings are bad because it's a channel no one watches.

Ratings are bad because no one cares about Indy Cars, way before NBC Sports their ratings were a joke and getting worst every year, and I was an American Open Wheel fan, I just don't care, which is why I don't wach, not because of NBC Sports Network.

The good thing is that you get the same feed for F1, regardless of your name, we will get the same feed SPEED was getting, the only problem will be the commentators.

truefan72
15th October 2012, 05:09
Ratings are bad because no one cares about Indy Cars, way before NBC Sports their ratings were a joke and getting worst every year, and I was an American Open Wheel fan, I just don't care, which is why I don't wach, not because of NBC Sports Network.

agreed

zako85
15th October 2012, 10:16
This is bad news. I can't stand the screen format NBC is using for IndyCar. Take a look here for an example (2012 IndyCar race):

[HD] IndyCar 2012 - Sonoma (Finish) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz0OCvBTxg8)

A fifth of screen is wasted for no good reason. The scrolling line is extremely annoying, and for some reason it's at the top of screen making it worse. I guess I would have to find some kind of internet feed to watch F1.

edv
15th October 2012, 14:32
I doubt that NBC will be able to use their own 'scroll lines' as FOM delivers their own on the feed. I'd bet Bernie has that as a clause in the contract.

NBC claims they'll broadcast over 100hours per year, including FP, Qual & Race coverage across broadcast, cable and digital platforms.

4 races will be on the mothership broadcaster...Canada, Monaco, Austin and (Brazil?) and the rest on NBCSports and streaming.

Speed said that they were simply out-bid on the 4-year contract.
Hopefully, Speed will still produce 'Formula 1 De-Brief' despite this setback for them.

I wonder who the broadcast team will be, and whether or not they will be live on-site at the races or reporting from the studio in front of a screen...

schmenke
15th October 2012, 15:20
Will NBC provide their own commentators or simply pick up the FOM audio feed with Edwards, Coulthard et al?

In Canada we haven’t had F1 coverage by Speed since last year :( . TSN has been providing coverage of all quals and races, but irritatingly no pre or post race coverage, similar to what Buxton provides for Speed.

Jag_Warrior
15th October 2012, 17:44
I can only state my opinion. One of the reasons that I watch and so enjoy F1 coverage on Speed is because of the amazing job that Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett do in each and every session and on Formula One Debrief. And one of the reasons (the main reason) that I stopped watching IndyCar qualifying on NBC Sports around mid season was because of the dreadful job that Jenkins, Dallenbach and (especially) Beekhuis did during the qualys. I met Beekhuis many years ago and I like him as a person. But his "Professor B" routine wore very thin with me when he proved completely unable to convey fundamental data and stats during the broadcasts. IMO, the IndyCar races this year were very good... in some cases they were amazingly good and very action packed. But the broadcast team had no ability to convey any sense of drama or excitement, the way that Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett usually do... even when a particular F1 race is a boring, parade-like affair.

I can only hope that NBC Sports will do a better job with F1 than they have with IndyCar, because their IndyCar broadcasts (direction, production, commentating and graphics) is complete Amateur Hour. Only when compared to the (even worse) coverage on ABC/ESPN does the NBC Sports coverage of IndyCar look relatively good. My fondness for American open wheel formula car racing used to be on par with my fondness for F1. But that changed about the time that CART went away. Then I gave it another chance very recently and tried to get back in tune with it. But now Tony George is re-emerging and I'm prepared to go away again... this time for good. It's just that the NBC Sports coverage certainly has given me no reason to tune in or get excited about what I'm seeing, even when it's a good race.

I'll wait and hold out some hope. I love F1 way too much to completely give up on it, no matter where it's broadcast.

schmenke
15th October 2012, 20:13
... But the broadcast team had no ability to convey any sense of drama or excitement, the way that Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett usually do... even when a particular F1 race is a boring, parade-like affair.....

I agree.
I miss the Speed commentators.
I particularly enjoyed Steve Matchett’s technical input. David Hobbs is a bit of a fossil, but he did provide a good chuckle from time to time.
Paxton does a decent job from "on-site" too.

bugeyedgomer
15th October 2012, 20:14
The ratings aren't bad because the coverage is bad. The ratings are bad because it's a SERIES no one watches.

fixered

anthonyvop
16th October 2012, 00:41
I just heard this horrible news! I am literally sick to my stomach right now! I'm not even watching the race. I'll just DVR it. I have no spirit to watch F1 right now.

Dude,
Macho up.

Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett were like constants in my sports viewing life - and auto racing is the only sport that I watch and follow these days. Unlike most of the other Fox related channels, Speed has been a great source of television entertainment for me. Speed has done an amazing job covering F1 all these years. It was a godsend when Speedvision got the contract away from ESPN. I was so happy! But from what I hear, F1 is going to NBC - possibly the only network even worse than ESPN for motorsports. I can dream that they'll have enough sense to beg Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett to come over and tempt them with large sacks of cash. But in reality, they'll probably turn the broadcast commentating over to the town clowns who do the IRL/IndyCar coverage on NBC Sports: Wally Dallenbach, Jon Beekhuis and whatever skid row bum they find walking past their offices, now that Jenkins has retired. #$@$!!_*&$#*!$#!$(~$(#($%%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angryfire :hot:

Lewis is going to Mercedes. Tony George is trying to buy the IndyCar series... so he can finish killing it off. And now this! :mad: So would anyone like to come by my house and shoot my dog?

Hell, nothing good lasts forever. I should know that by now! :rolleyes:

NBC Sports will offer 100 hours of F1 coverage. That adds up to 5 hours per weekend event. They will offer live streaming of all events. They are planing on broadcasting all of the races live.

Word is they are already talking to Varsha and Matchett and are just waiting for the OK from Fox to release them from their contracts(a formality)

So I view it as a definite improvement from NASCAR TV

anthonyvop
16th October 2012, 00:46
I'm not sure if you're being serious or if that's cruel sarcasm. Given the continuing ratings plunge since the IndyCar Series moved to NBC Sports, I must assume that you're kicking the one-eyed, three-legged dog. Bad Andrew. Bad! :vader:

Indycar's ratings were in the tank before the NBC Sports Network even existed. If anything they have maintained it but I don't blame the network It is 100% the fault of the series.

Unless I can find some other means of watching the races (legal or not), and that's highly doubtful, I guess I'll just have to make the best of what looks like a totally crappy situation. All of us unfortunate American F1 fans are in the same boat. So I guess we'll suffer together. :beer:

So your are already assuming that NBC's Coverage will be bad?

00steven
16th October 2012, 01:11
I just hope NBC does it up right and gets the three amigos.

jarrambide
16th October 2012, 02:39
I will not cry at all if Varsha and Matchett move to NBC Sports Network, Speedvision then Speed used to be one of my favorite channels, it was God's gift to nonNASCAR racing fans, you had different racing series, diverse racing news, interesting shows.

Today's Speed is not that Speed, if I watch Speed on a regular basis is because of F1 and GP2, qualys, races, F1 debriefing, the preshow, the postshow, Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett make it better, but that's it, F1 and its feeder series is all I see on a regular basis on Speed.

As I said, you get the same feed, you will have the same exact images and the same exact graphics, if Varsha and Matchett move, you will get almost the same experience, I don't think I will miss Hobbs that much, I like the guy, but I don't think having 3 guys is a must if you keep the other 2, Will B. I didn't like that much at the beginning, but I think that was because I was used to Peter Windsor, and even tough I have learned to like Will B., I will not miss him that much.

call_me_andrew
16th October 2012, 02:55
This is bad news. I can't stand the screen format NBC is using for IndyCar. Take a look here for an example (2012 IndyCar race):

[HD] IndyCar 2012 - Sonoma (Finish) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz0OCvBTxg8)

A fifth of screen is wasted for no good reason. The scrolling line is extremely annoying, and for some reason it's at the top of screen making it worse. I guess I would have to find some kind of internet feed to watch F1.

The graphics package for F1 is produced by FOM as part of the world feed.

anthonyvop
16th October 2012, 03:46
I just hope NBC does it up right and gets the three amigos.

Varsha yes. Matchett I am ok with. Hobbs you can keep.

mstillhere
16th October 2012, 04:46

WOW!!! This awesome news. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never seen a more biased trio in my entire life. What a bunch of clowns.

Is it asking too much to have a fair and balanced commentary???? I heard commentaries from other journalists who just told the story as unfolded. Without laughing at anybody, without rooting for ML so openly.

I wrote several times to Speed vision complaining by such an unprofeessional behaviour. It was very disrespectufl to all the non ML fans. Their constant support to ML and Lewis was a in clear opposition to what I consider to be good journalism.

I guess their laughing at any tinest mistake made by the Ferrari team is going to "deeply missed". I love having the last laugh. No surprise nobody in the Ferrari team would talk to any of them.

mstillhere
16th October 2012, 04:50
Varsha yes. Matchett I am ok with. Hobbs you can keep.

I would agree with you. The least unbiased was Varsha. The other two are unbearable. With that I don't mean to say that I would love to see the three of them go.

mstillhere
16th October 2012, 04:53

Try rojadirecta.com on your computer or on tv by connecting your computer to your tv. They show all races live for free.

mstillhere
16th October 2012, 04:56

Try rojadirecta.com. Is in HD live. The only thing is that's in Spanish.

Jag_Warrior
16th October 2012, 10:25
Just like when my girlfriend cut her hair, I'll put up with it and deal with it... because I have to. F1 is my favorite sport. So whether NBC is good, bad or mediocre, I'll find a way to enjoy it, one way or another.

As for the 5 hours of coverage per weekend, I'm hardly impressed. That's less than we get with FP2, the qualy, F1 Debrief, the pre-race show and the race right now. Speed has also done a handful of F1 special features over the years. They've just done a flat-out great job, IMO. The director, video and stat guys are Johnny-on-the-spot every race... which makes the commentators look even brighter than they are. As for streaming, Speed also has that. And I can't DVR internet streams.

Screw it. It's done, or soon will be. It is what it is. We'll deal with it.

anthonyvop
16th October 2012, 16:54
Just like when my girlfriend cut her hair, I'll put up with it and deal with it... because I have to. F1 is my favorite sport. So whether NBC is good, bad or mediocre, I'll find a way to enjoy it, one way or another.

As for the 5 hours of coverage per weekend, I'm hardly impressed. That's less than we get with FP2, the qualy, F1 Debrief, the pre-race show and the race right now. Speed has also done a handful of F1 special features over the years. They've just done a flat-out great job, IMO. The director, video and stat guys are Johnny-on-the-spot every race... which makes the commentators look even brighter than they are. As for streaming, Speed also has that. And I can't DVR internet streams.

Screw it. It's done, or soon will be. It is what it is. We'll deal with it.

At least 100 hours and F1 debrief won't be missed. All it was is a rehash of the past weeks F1 news at an ridiculous late night hour after the NASCAR Truck race was over.

anthonyvop
16th October 2012, 17:00
WOW!!! This awesome news. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never seen a more biased trio in my entire life. What a bunch of clowns.

Is it asking too much to have a fair and balanced commentary???? I heard commentaries from other journalists who just told the story as unfolded. Without laughing at anybody, without rooting for ML so openly.

I wrote several times to Speed vision complaining by such an unprofeessional behaviour. It was very disrespectufl to all the non ML fans. Their constant support to ML and Lewis was a in clear opposition to what I consider to be good journalism.

I guess their laughing at any tinest mistake made by the Ferrari team is going to "deeply missed". I love having the last laugh. No surprise nobody in the Ferrari team would talk to any of them.

I agree. Varsha does remain pretty unbiased but Matchett shows his true colors when Q3 gets down to less than a minute to go.

If I hear Hobbs refer to Felipe Massa as "Phil" one more time I will reach into the TV and slap his bigoted face. I reminds me of when the Pittsburgh Pirates Radio announcer use to call Roberto Clemente "Bobby" because it sounded more American. Does he call Lewis Hamilton "Lou"? Jensen Button "Jen"?

Starter
16th October 2012, 17:34
And now this! :mad: So would anyone like to come by my house and shoot my dog?
I won't shoot your dog, (I like dogs) but I will come by your house and do a few shooters with you.

:p :
[/*:m:3c39q7be]

xyzzy
17th October 2012, 19:39
Does he call Lewis Hamilton "Lou"?

No. He calls him "Louise".

Jag_Warrior
17th October 2012, 19:52
I won't shoot your dog, (I like dogs) but I will come by your house and do a few shooters with you.

:p : [/*:m:f2vu297i]

If they don't put together a good announce crew, that might be the best way to watch the races next year. If it gets really bad, I have some clear liquid in a Mason jar that I'll share with you. Last one to face-plant on the floor is a rotten apple!

veeten
19th October 2012, 14:42
One has to remember, who owns majority-stake of NBC/Universal?

Tony, you answer first.

jarrambide
20th October 2012, 19:03
One has to remember, who owns majority-stake of NBC/Universal?

Tony, you answer first.

I fail to see the importance of Comcast owning 50 plus of NBC-Universal, is it the fact they are the #1 Cable company in the US?, Tje fact they keep creating local or regional sports networks just to sign new contracts to show the local MLB and NBA teams?

I really dislike the fact that they tend to create new cable channels just to sign the local MLB and NBA teams just to have 70% of local fans not have the channel for months while they try to get big bucks from nonComcast cable/satellite companies, but sports is just a business, not charity.

I don't like them as a cable company(I liked them as an internet provider, but disliked their excessive bandwith policy even if I never came close to their cap, it was out of principle that I disliked that policy), but I have yet to find a cable/satellite company that I I like, so far, the best I could do was find one that I don't dislilke that much.

What is the importance of Comcast having control of NBC?, I'm really asking, I am curious of why you mentioned them, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to Broadcasting/Cable in the US.

Tazio
22nd October 2012, 06:34
The only problems with the Speed TV F1 broadcast are the excessive commercials, period. Varsha is knowledgeable, and Hobbs (although he is a relic, has some great racing credentials. not the least of which winning at Monza in the banked configuration) in a ford GT40 (although he made his name racing Jags ) The guy is an old school classic that has lived to tell his tale however senile as it might seem. Matchet is probably the best nuts and bolts commentator I've followed in English. His experience at Benetton is inspiring in MHO.

N. Jones
24th October 2012, 19:39
The friggin' commercials need to go.

I disagree with everyone who dislikes the commentators. They have worked together for years and have chemistry that no one else will have when F1 moves to NBC.

Remember CBS' disastrous commentators????

keysersoze
24th October 2012, 20:29
I like listening to David Hobbs very much.

Their biases don't bother me at all. Sure, Varsha is the least biased because his primary function is to call the race. The other two are commentators--they're analysts. As in, they get paid to have a critical, discerning, nuanced view of things.

egonzinc
4th November 2012, 22:56
I wonder how much Speed will change with this. And more important where I will get to see the F1 races. It is not a given that my cable provider will pick up the new network. Have never been able to get tv on the internet free. Always end up with a bunch of odd toolbars and search engines taking over my pc, just for simply TRYING to get set up. Where I live Fox also carries the F1 races but they give Premier League Football preference and sometimes broadcast races a day late... As for the broadcasting team, it would not be the first time that they would move to the new channel. I just hope I can see the reaces the language of the broadcast is of secondary importance.

kfzmeister
10th November 2012, 23:11
Friend of mine knows Matchett. I guess he's in talks with NBC. Apparently those guys are completely clueless about F1. Thought they were gonna just start showing up on the grid with a bunch of TV cameras and crews and start interviewing this and that. Don't have a clue at all how things work in F1.
I haven't heard much about how NBC will cover the races, but suspect that they will be tape delayed and shown mid afternoon on Sundays with some live (Canada, Austin, Brazil? and eventually New Jersey). Hope they do a good job, since it will be crucial to how well it is perceived here.

Tazio
11th November 2012, 21:50
My Fellow Americans, I've been watching the UK F1 broadcasts (all practices, quali and race) via the internet for many years. What I usually do is; open one window with live timing and a couple an F1 forums tabbed on it for chat, another window with either the BBC or Sky broadcast usually on headphones for the race and quali (although quali is not interrupted with commercials except for q1) I turn on the race on Speed HD and record it. I spend a lot of time watching live timing so the window with the UK broadcast is useful even when Speed TV is not on one of its absurd number of commercials. I re-watch the races on HDTV and skip the commercials to make sure I see all the finer details I may have missed while trying to keep up on sector times and the like. I have one resource for the UK broadcasts that has not let me down in over two seasons. If you would like a link to the site message me.

call_me_andrew
16th November 2012, 02:52
Hobbs, Matchett, and Buxton will move to NBC with Leigh Diffey.

I think NBC plans to use the same broadcast team for F1 and IndyCar this year.

N. Jones
26th November 2012, 12:09
Where did you see this, andrew? I watched the end of Brazil and David Hobbs said that everyone but Bob Varsha is moving on.

I wonder why?

Starter
26th November 2012, 14:17
Where did you see this, andrew? I watched the end of Brazil and David Hobbs said that everyone but Bob Varsha is moving on.

I wonder why?
That is everyone but Varsha. Posey was never one of the main people. His illness may be causing him to step down anyway.

call_me_andrew
29th November 2012, 04:04
Leigh Diffey, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett to make up NBC F1 broadcast team - Autoweek (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121115/F1/121119885)

I think SPEED wants Varsha to keep doing the Barrett-Jackson auctions.

Of course there may also be plans in place for a commentary team after the ALMS/Grand-Am merger in 2014.

airshifter
8th December 2012, 01:33
I hate to see the entire team not moving, and hope that things "stay the same" with leaving Speed TV. They had a good thing going. I kept the last F1 race recap.... might have to watch it again.