PDA

View Full Version : This would be nice! Honda returns?

kfzmeister
10th October 2012, 14:03
Honda Considering 2014 F1 Return | Formula 1 FanCast (http://www.formula1fancast.com/2012/10/formula-1-news/honda-considering-2014-f1-return?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Formula1Fancast+%28Formula+1+ FanCast%29)

The Black Knight
10th October 2012, 15:37
Yeah, saw that this morning but seems like it is dependant on certain rule changes. At the moment I think F1 is just too expensive for them. It would be great to see them back in F1 though. They were essentially responsible for Brawn's success in 2009.

Jag_Warrior
10th October 2012, 16:59
If they come back with a "real" effort, then I would also like to see this. Although I have never owned a Honda, their participation in the 80's and 90's made me have a very positive view of the company and its brands. Back then, had I been in the market for car in a class made by Honda or Acura, I would have certainly considered those brands based partially on that fondness. I'm considering a Honda Ridgeline Sport pickup now. Maybe they'll make a decision that will sway me. :)

Malbec
10th October 2012, 17:13
Being a cynic I see nothing new here. A big car maker says if the conditions are right, the rules are good, the costs are low, the marketing opportunities are there and if the tea leaves are aligned the right way then they might think about getting back into F1. Perhaps. Maybe.

The same applies for every car company I can think of, its non-news to me.

AndyL
10th October 2012, 19:45
Being a cynic I see nothing new here. A big car maker says if the conditions are right, the rules are good, the costs are low, the marketing opportunities are there and if the tea leaves are aligned the right way then they might think about getting back into F1. Perhaps. Maybe.

I have to agree it looks like a bit of a "slow news day" story. All the direct quotes from Yamamoto are about a potential return at some unspecified point in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if the "considering a return in 2014" bit is a complete fabrication. I'm not familiar with that particular site, but it looks to me like their standard of journalism is more PlanetF1 than Autosport.
Has anyone seen the interview in Autocar that's referred to in the piece?

DexDexter
10th October 2012, 21:28
If the current engine formula remained, Honda could come back very quickly. I mean they've got a pretty good V8 engine in the warehouse, other manufacturers haven't developed that much after they left because of the engine freeze.

CNR
11th October 2012, 04:28
http://www.motorsportforums.com/newreply.php?p=1073243&noquote=1
Honda threatens to quit Moto GP

zako85
11th October 2012, 04:57
I think the last statement summarizes the article: “This is my [Yoshiharu Yamamoto] personal view – not that of Honda – but I feel the first thing we must do is win in the WTCC, and then perhaps we can look further afield.”

Bruce D
11th October 2012, 20:48
A few weeks ago I was telling a friend to watch out for Honda's return to F1 in the new engine rules, after all it's a turbo engine with fuel restrictions, and those of us who go back a few years will know that Honda dominated both F1 and Indycar / CART / Champcar racing with turbo engines running to fuel restrictions.

kfzmeister
12th October 2012, 04:17
Stolen from another forum:

McLaren gets new Honda turbo,
signs Coca Cola as main sponsor (Vodafone leaves),
cars become red and white colored,
Perez wins 3 championships.
Hamilton cries into Ross Brawn's arms. :D

wmcot
12th October 2012, 04:42

Yeah, same old thing - get in while it suits you and then leave when you aren't winning everthing.

Bruce D
12th October 2012, 08:01
Stolen from another forum:

McLaren gets new Honda turbo,
signs Coca Cola as main sponsor (Vodafone leaves),
cars become red and white colored,
Perez wins 3 championships.
Hamilton cries into Ross Brawn's arms. :D

Not impossible really. I mean I've seen enough stuff lately to say Vodafone will not be in F1 much longer and that Mercedes and McLaren are going to part company fairly soon. Certainly I would already be in talks with Honda for 2014 and beyond if I was a team manager.

wedge
12th October 2012, 13:58
Interesting times for Honda with the new Civic Type R going to turbo (VTEC - No!) and hybrid NSX successor.

But I'll believe it when I see it.

Audi were part of the decision making process for the 2014 and then did a U turn on F1.

Knock-on
12th October 2012, 14:22
Well, if a team wanted a cheap 'in' then they will be able to pick up FI for peanuts soon ;)

IceWizard
13th October 2012, 23:00
It would be good to see Honda back IF they were prepared to stick around for a while. Quite frankly, F1 can do without manufacturers if they are going to come into the sport and then leave again within five years.

CNR
19th October 2012, 23:42
McLaren want to ditch Mercedes and reunite with Honda | The Sun |Sport|Motorsport (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/motorsport/4599114/McLaren-want-to-ditch-Mercedes-and-reunite-with-Honda.html)

McLAREN are looking to ditch Mercedes and reunite with Honda — as they do not want to pay £8million for their engines.

zako85
20th October 2012, 07:54
McLaren want to ditch Mercedes and reunite with Honda | The Sun |Sport|Motorsport (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/motorsport/4599114/McLaren-want-to-ditch-Mercedes-and-reunite-with-Honda.html)

Yellow journalism at its best. The article contains just four sentences and the news can't be confirmed or denied. I do wonder, is 8 million quid so dear for McLaren that they'd be willing to destroy a 20 year long relationship with Mercedes and its race and championship winning engine?

PS: Ok, past 2013 this will be a clean sheet design engine, so perhaps it could make sense to roll the dice with Honda, if McLaren get's Honda's engine for free.

52Paddy
20th October 2012, 21:21
Definitely need more news on this before I count my chickens. But, yes, it would be nice to see them make a serious return. Just like it would be nice to see Ford make a serious return.

DexDexter
20th October 2012, 22:20

It's The Sun! :)

Big Ben
21st October 2012, 19:04
I'd rather see another competent independent team (if such a thing exists).

TheFamousEccles
22nd October 2012, 00:46
http://www.motorsportforums.com/newreply.php?p=1073243&noquote=1
Honda threatens to quit Moto GP

Honda have too much influence in MotoGP, and always threaten to take their bat and ball and go home when rules are proposed that dont suit them. Hence the parlous state of MotoGP currently - so much so that I am sruggling to maintain an interest, which for a long-term rider/trackday fiend like me is quite a dilemma.

I think Honda in F1 could be a good thing, but with all their proviso's to participation I won't be holding my breath.

Koz
26th October 2012, 06:30
So, Mr Anderson says Honda is already building an engine for F1??

Hawkmoon
26th October 2012, 06:49
As long as they return as just an engine supplier I would welcome it. If they came back as a factory team this soon I think many would have the opinion they are taking the mick.

I agree. Honda are a bit of a fairweather friend where F1 is concerned. They've had 3 goes at it as either a team or engine supplier and last 6 or 7 years at most. They don't have the right mentality to stay the course when they aren't winning. If they came in as a full team, either from scratch or buy purchasing an exisiting outfit, I can see them leaving again a few years later and leaving the sport with a lame duck team. The chances of the Brawn situation repeating itself are remote to say the least.

A better option would be as an engine supplier. F1 needs engine suppliers more than extra teams at the moment.

zako85
26th October 2012, 07:26
10 out 12 teams have access to race and championship winning engines. This is a far cry from the situation in early 90s when Ron Dennis or Flavio Briatore might have stopped short from murdering Ligier team staff in their sleep in order to get their hands on the dominant Renault engine.

Nonetheless, it would be good for F1 to have a major Japanese manufacturer in the mix. This would bring more interest and sponsors from Japan, so that drivers like Kobayashi would be able to keep seats.

Personally, I'd love more to see Ford come back to F1 as engine supplier. Cosworth could manufacture the Ford engines, like they used to. If the engine was good, I don't see why Ford couldn't work something out with a team like RBR or McLaren. Ford used to hold the record for the number of GP wins. They got overtaken by Ferrari with Schumacher's blitz, but I think Ford still has a chance to get back to the top.

Malbec
26th October 2012, 12:43
I agree. Honda are a bit of a fairweather friend where F1 is concerned. They've had 3 goes at it as either a team or engine supplier and last 6 or 7 years at most. They don't have the right mentality to stay the course when they aren't winning.

The problem with Honda's mentality for modern F1 is that their participation is driven by their R/D department both to help research new technologies and rotate promising engineers through. This is great for their company as they separate the wheat from the chaff in their own company but does tend to hinder the actual competitiveness of their team as engineers seem to be replaced just as they are getting the hang of F1.

Other companies view F1 as a marketing exercise and therefore in most cases they buy in expertise or even entire departments who have had long experience in the sport ensuring competitiveness.

Up until now I hadn't paid much attention to Honda's supposed interest in F1 but some pieces are starting to fall into place. The withdrawal in 2008 was partly due to the credit crunch but also partly because Honda moved towards cleaner technologies throughout their company and F1 didn't play a positive role in that. Now Honda are looking to mix their hybrid expertise with a return to sporty products, the hybrid NSX is apparently being pushed through at great speed as is a fully electric sportsbike. Post-2014 F1 engine rules fit right into that vision. I can see it happening.

Malbec
26th October 2012, 14:27
Both Honda and Toyota realised you can't throw money at a team and make all the decisions in Tokyo. A lot of the frustrations at Honda and Toyota was the frustration of the top brass not listening to the direction of more experienced engineers.

Really? The Brawn 001 would suggest to me that Honda got it very right in the end and they had devolved most if not all of the decision making to Brackley years before that. Ultimately Honda's mistake was to buy a team that needed a lot of sorting out and investment before it could become a frontrunner.

Toyota's problems were different and there is no use lumping the two together merely because they are Japanese. Being based in Germany without many local suppliers with experience in producing F1 components was probably the most serious issue they faced because it also resulted in them having difficulty recruiting/retaining F1 staff from Britain or Italy. ToyotaMotorsport GMBH was always quite autonomous from HQ in Toyota City.

These days I think F1 is far more attractive than it was even two or three years ago for car companies with money. First the 2014 engines have obvious synergy with companies developing 'green' engines. Secondly Max has gone so there is little risk of having your company name besmirched through personal vendettas or having hugely expensive regulations changes on a regular basis in the interest of cutting costs. Thirdly there is an oversupply of teams up for sale so a decent midfield team can be snapped up cheaply if required.