PDA

View Full Version : Pickems declining???

Mekola
9th October 2012, 19:00
Over last years noted a decline in the Pickems systems. Last year it was dropped GP2 and IRC from the competitions (although I tried, unsuccessfully, to replace GP2 Pickems landing GP2 TWPC here), and noted this year there were no more BTCC Pickems and that even WRC ones are not running anymore.

What happens? Pick predictions are no more attractive to users? Or organizers let down their hopes?

Is faintly questionable... Discussion is open!

Mark
10th October 2012, 10:05
The main issue is people prepared to run the pickems and keep the scoring up to date etc. Although it is just 5 minutes a week it is difficult to find the time sometimes.

But yes, also some pickems have suffered a lack of interest, however WRC pickems will be back next year.

Wasted Talent
11th October 2012, 10:54
The other problem has been late opening of pickems, so if you go away for the week you miss a round of the WRC or F1 and then it isn't worth carrying on.

I'd probably be preapred to help with the scoring, but am away quite a few weeks a year so would have to share duties

WT

Mintexmemory
11th October 2012, 11:38
I'm prepared to assist on the WRC Pickem too - I've been running an unofficial contest on the WRC forum since the official one imploded- it's a shame not to be able to back your opinions in a non-argumentative kind of way.

Mark
13th October 2012, 10:22
The problem with WRC pickems is the entry list isn't announced until soon before the event which allows the list of picks to be chosen.

Now if we could have a list of drivers which didn't change much through the season then the pickems threads can be set to auto post 14 days before the event.

patnicholls
15th October 2012, 16:48
On the bike racing side, the forum has almost totally died so I'm currently wondering whether to continue running the pickems and the fantasy league I run on there (and indeed posted earlier today in my forum to ask).

The Pickems only require minimal effort - get the calendar sorted preseason (an hour or so) then do all the threads at least a couple of weeks before the season starts (a couple of hours tops) and they pop up automatically two weeks before each race - so it's not exactly a major hassle for me to continue them (for MotoGP), but with ten entrants or less it is marginal as to whether it's worth it. The fantasy league takes more effort and has been propped up by a very small number of people posting lots of teams each (myself included!)

I ran the GP2 ones last year but there were even less entries, and then the TV coverage moved to Sky Sports so I stopped watching...

Mekola
17th October 2012, 05:17
I ran the GP2 ones last year but there were even less entries, and then the TV coverage moved to Sky Sports so I stopped watching...
You ran GP2 Pickems in 2010. In 2011 I entered GP2 TWPC without success, except for Nikki who entered in the opening rounds and was the only scorer for the glory of Motorsport Forums...

patnicholls
17th October 2012, 13:51
You ran GP2 Pickems in 2010. In 2011 I entered GP2 TWPC without success, except for Nikki who entered in the opening rounds and was the only scorer for the glory of Motorsport Forums...

Ah yes, you're right - time flies! :)

Firstgear
22nd March 2013, 19:43
Anyone know how the 'race points' are calculated in the F1 Pickems? I've never really tried to figure it out before, but was looking just now and can't figure it out.

I can see that correctly picking the winner gets you 10 pts, second gets you 9, third gets you 8, and so on to eighth.
I can't find a consistent points loss for being 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 spots out with a prediction. It seems that sometimes you lose 2 point per spot, and sometimes less than 1 point per spot???

Anyone have the answer?

Mihai
28th April 2013, 01:09
Pickems are declining for a couple of years because mods are rubbish. You get verbally abused by a countryman on private messages and they actually ban you. Moderation sucks big time.