PDA

View Full Version : BTCC 2012 - Title showdown

christophulus
7th October 2012, 17:43
So, who do we think is going to be 2012 champion? Neal has had a shocking weekend, and I think Shedden will be fairly relieved that he's limited the loss to Plato.

67 points up for grabs at Brands so it looks like it's a three horse race realistically. Will Neal back up Shedden's challenge as repayment for the many years that Shedden has helped him out?

My heart says Shedden but head says Plato will edge it. Could we make this into a poll?

Shedden 364
Plato 349
Neal 333
Jordan 303

F1boat
8th October 2012, 17:52
I watched the Silverstone races (haven't watched BTCC for a long time) and I was pretty entertained. But I think that Plato will win his 3rd championship, he loves Brands Hatch.

Allyc85
8th October 2012, 17:55
I am hoping its Shedden this year! I think he is driving better than ever and seems to have had more bad luck than anyone.

MAX_THRUST
10th October 2012, 17:28
I hope its Sheddan although i would love Plato to win his Third, as long as its not Matt Neal.

Bezza
10th October 2012, 17:31
Plato hopefully.

The fact Shedden leads the Championship proves a) how poor the BTCC has become, and b) how truly poor Matt Neal really is.

BDunnell
10th October 2012, 19:38
Plato hopefully.

The fact Shedden leads the Championship proves a) how poor the BTCC has become, and b) how truly poor Matt Neal really is.

Well, for one thing, Shedden won — on merit — races in which the likes of Giovanardi were also competing. For another, let's not forget how Matt Neal performed against one of the strongest touring car fields ever assembled in the FIA World Cup in 1995. It's easy to throw criticism around it, but a bit of perspective doesn't go amiss.

JasonPotato
10th October 2012, 20:01
For another, let's not forget how Matt Neal performed against one of the strongest touring car fields ever assembled in the FIA World Cup in 1995

From what i remember he retired from one race and finished mid pack in the other? He proved himself in 1999 more so.

Out of the 3 i would rather see Plato win it, otherwise Flash. All Neal's championships have come from bashing and knocking other cars out of the way.

BDunnell
10th October 2012, 20:23
From what i remember he retired from one race and finished mid pack in the other? He proved himself in 1999 more so.

You may be right, on reflection, though I can't recall how Neal performed in the race in which he retired.

BDunnell
21st October 2012, 13:38
Shame the weather, with a greasy as opposed to totally wet track, is interfering somewhat today. Not exactly conducive to great racing, though everyone at least kept it clean in the first race, and Collard and Newsham proved it possible to have a good scrap. Plato's car looked dire, and Shedden like he was playing it very safe. Elsewhere, an excellent run from Onslow-Cole to keep up with the leading Hondas.

MAX_THRUST
21st October 2012, 14:28
Sheean not playing safe now...

BDunnell
21st October 2012, 14:40
What a great race win by Aron Smith. As for the championship, I think the best man won. Shedden, to my mind, hasn't put much of a foot wrong all season.

Dave B
21st October 2012, 14:40
Congratulations to Gordon Shedden, then :champion: :up:

MAX_THRUST
21st October 2012, 14:50
Well done Flash

christophulus
21st October 2012, 15:08
Well done indeed :up:

Hopefully should be a great final race now with nothing to play for except pride!

BDunnell
21st October 2012, 15:12
Well done indeed :up:

Hopefully should be a great final race now with nothing to play for except pride!

Would be nice to see Frank Wrathall getting something good out of this final race, given his front row starting position.

BDunnell
21st October 2012, 17:48
And he did! Really good to see two new winners at the end of the season. Both Wrathall and Smith deserve, surely, to be BTCC fixtures for some time to come.

A pity WSR had such a desperate last couple of races, denying us a proper battle over the independents' titles, but — Neate-related carnage in the second race aside — I thought it was a good day's racing.

Wasted Talent
21st October 2012, 19:57
Good to see Shedden winning, he is the only driver this year that has driven quickly and cleanly all season, congratulations.

The driving standards seem to be at an all-time low, with Plato pushing people off from the first meeting to the last, and far too many drivers with more money than talent....Mr Neate being a prime example.

Also good to see Wrathall getting the final win, okay he has made a couple of mistakes but again he has been fairly quick and kept his nose clean all year.

I will watch the first meeting next year but if it continues with this years stock-cars trend I won't be following it for long

WT

Iain
21st October 2012, 22:42
A pity WSR had such a desperate last couple of races, denying us a proper battle over the independents' titles, but — Neate-related carnage in the second race aside — I thought it was a good day's racing.

That was unfortunate. It just wasn't BMW weather either. They don't do greasy or damp surfaces, it's got to be full-on wet or completely dry. Shame to see the cars bow out like that.

I really don't know what to think of Andy Neate. I have to have admiration for how he came back from that horrific broken neck four years ago, but he hasn't impressed at all in three seasons. I'm surprised he wasn't penalised for race two, but got a reprimand, fine and points for a race one incident.

BDunnell
21st October 2012, 23:35
That was unfortunate. It just wasn't BMW weather either. They don't do greasy or damp surfaces, it's got to be full-on wet or completely dry. Shame to see the cars bow out like that.

Interestingly, Onslow-Cole was the only one of the three drivers who seemed to have the measure of the car in those conditions today. A shame he rather spoiled it with the incident with Collard, who deserved better from the day.

I really don't know what to think of Andy Neate. I have to have admiration for how he came back from that horrific broken neck four years ago, but he hasn't impressed at all in three seasons. I'm surprised he wasn't penalised for race two, but got a reprimand, fine and points for a race one incident.

Well, we didn't see what happened in race one. I'd be interested to discover the justification for no penalty being given for the race two shunt.