PDA

View Full Version : NASN (UK) How can they just stop broadcasting an event ?

ghostdancing
1st April 2007, 23:28
NASN (UK) How can they just stop broadcasting an event ?

Amazing.

I'm watching NASCAR, 11am, and what happens.
Screen goes blue, and that's it, race over for me with over 60 or so laps to go.

I called Sentanta who told me, the follwoing
1. They are having problems with some channels.
2. Operator cannot work out why I cannot view channel 434.
3. Oh sorry, Sentanta 434 is finished now, unlucky, thats that.

Told nothing can be done, maybe shown later.

Sentanta are beyond belief, this is just not right ?

XM369
1st April 2007, 23:34
They are rubbish, they dont care about customer service, been holding for these idiots for 15 mins now,
Complain to setanta as they are in breach of thier own contracts

hunter26
1st April 2007, 23:35
Yeah ive been trying to get through for25 mins now with no luck.
im going to complain to offcom about this!! it wa bad enough the way they treated us all at the start of the season now this!!

GARYGAZZA
1st April 2007, 23:35
tvu ok now.Its frustrating enough not having live Nascar on Virgin Media but I can imagine your frusration at the moment.Setanta and Sky stink!!!

Speedworx
1st April 2007, 23:39
Problem is the rugby is Ireland only show. England viewers got locked out at 11pm

hunter26
1st April 2007, 23:40
Just got through to nasn after 30 mins and was basicaly told tough !!!
Nascar over ran its schedule so thats your lot. Their service stinks,i cant get fox on tvu tonight so im out of luck.

ghostdancing
1st April 2007, 23:42
This is a copy of the letter I sent to NASN/Sentanta

Complaints Department
NASCAR on Sentanta Channel 434 Sunday 1st April 2007
I find it difficult to believe that you can just simply stop broadcasting a sporting event with only 60 or so laps to go out of 500.
This quality of broadcasting is appalling and shows you have no respect or care to your customers at all.
Not only did you stop broadcasting this event, you could not even be bothered to inform viewers in anyway what had happened.
To compound this, on calling your customer services, your operator did not even know of what had happened, and was clearly embarrased himself.
I demand a refund in kind for the lost of this event, which is a 25% refund on my monthly subscription charge.
I demand compensation of a months subscription fee for the inconvenience caused, and time wasted calling your customer services team.

I will also write to ofcom, sky and trading standards tomorrow.

Speedworx
1st April 2007, 23:53
I doubt theres anything they could have done. Channel was most likely set to lock to Ireland viewers at 11pm and no one could stop it.

Thats why it suddenly cut off. The International Sevens Rugby is an Ireland only show and is locked to Ireland viewers only.

hunter26
1st April 2007, 23:57
So does that mean we have to miss the end of every race that runs late? how can they do that and charge us for it? Lets face it with nascars schedule that could happen every race!!

XM369
1st April 2007, 23:57
Come on guys nascar quite often overruns so this should be no surprise to the broadcaster, its typical of setanta to do this, were being ripped off by them and this should be reported by as many people as possible

EarWig
1st April 2007, 23:58
Disgusting is all I have to say

I only subscribe to them to watch the Nascar

I have tonight spoken to Setanta and insisted they give an assurance that this will not happen in the future.

Their "representative" Karen assured me that someone will contact me by telephone or via mail regarding future programming

They informed me that they have had a deluge of complaints tonight regarding this

If they are going to treat customers like this (don't forget the pathetic excuses before the Daytone 500) then its about time someone took them to task.

Rugby - anyone can watch that at any time!!

"Apparently" they will be updating their web site with information regarding this and the repeat here
http://gb.setanta.com/portal/index/gbhome

Pi**ed off customer of Setanta

hunter26
2nd April 2007, 00:05
Not normally a fan of Watchdog but im tempted to contact them over this....

rainbow warrior
2nd April 2007, 00:13
We spoke to a chap called Justin, he was totally un-aware of what we weer talkinh about, and had to go off and leave me holding for 5 minutes to ask someone else...!!!

He basically said, "the programme has over-run it's time schedule, amd there is nothing they can do about it"

I explained that I pay "a premium" to watch NASCAR and therefore should be privvy to the entitre race, he agreed, and advised that they are trying to get the channel moved to channel 417 (NASN on Sky)

He offered me an address to complain to, my reply - don't worry love, I already have it...!!!!

We were able to get Fox on TVU but the signal was one bar, and the picture/sound kept pausing - this was "More" frustation - close finish
tho, I can image just how peeved JG is at giving JJ his set up.....ooops..!!

RW

hunter26
2nd April 2007, 00:17
The annoying thing is, if they do show it again we already know the result!!
i cant believe i pay 15 quid a month to get treated like this.

EarWig
2nd April 2007, 01:39
Just shows what a cr*p company they are

Their web site links to pages don't work half the time and their pages show javascript errors

If they cant get a simple task right how the hell can we expect good service

Pathetic company

All write to Nick at watchdog!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/

EarWig
2nd April 2007, 01:47
Just shows what a cr*p company they are

Their web site links to pages don't work half the time and their pages show javascript errors

If they cant get a simple task right how the hell can we expect good service

Pathetic company

All write to Nick at watchdog!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/

Have submitted my report!

djparky
2nd April 2007, 07:52
yeah I know- I taped the end of the race and tried to watch it this morning- the frustrating thing is it would have only lasted about another 10-15 minutes and it would have been over anyway, I remember Sky did this a few years ago when they showed CART- the final dozen laps moved to Sky Sports Extra- which cable customers couldn't get at the time

I'm not going to watch 3 hours of NASCAR on the computer so it's paying for Setanta or not seeing it at all for me- given that they show (on average) 4 NNC races a month plus Busch series and now TOCA race days I think I get pretty good VFM- but yeah losing the end of the race..........grrrrrrrrrrrr

XM369
2nd April 2007, 09:09
I have today complained to nasn and to watchdog.

regarding watching nascar on tvu, get a laptop with svideo out and plug it into your tv, did this with the daytona race and although not as good as a normal tv channel it was watchable and was better than nothing. if they improved the quality of the fox feed to tvu i would ditch setantic sports and spend an extra £15 a month on faster broadband.

gary_580
2nd April 2007, 12:18
I have today complained to nasn and to watchdog.

regarding watching nascar on tvu, get a laptop with svideo out and plug it into your tv, did this with the daytona race and although not as good as a normal tv channel it was watchable and was better than nothing. if they improved the quality of the fox feed to tvu i would ditch setantic sports and spend an extra £15 a month on faster broadband.

Thats fine until halfway throught the season when NASCAR will move from FOX to ESPN2. ESPN2 is not available on TVU

Abo
2nd April 2007, 12:48
This is exactly why I haven't bothered re-subscribing to NASN; I knew they'd start pulling crap like this...

TVU users: check the port settings on your router. I watched the whole race on TVU and it only paused twice, and then only for a few seconds. I'm at work now so I can't check but when I get home I'll post the port numbers you need to open.

Abo
2nd April 2007, 12:50
Thats fine until halfway throught the season when NASCAR will move from FOX to ESPN2. ESPN2 is not available on TVU

The Wheels 'channel' on TVU shows ESPN2 so I'm sure we'll be able to watch the rest of the season on there.

At the moment the quality is pretty poor on Wheels, but when more people start watching (ie when NASCAR is being shown) the quality will improve. I believe this is why the quality on Fox is bad before the green flag drops, but picks up afterward.

Coma
2nd April 2007, 12:59
Hi Guys,

Been browsing the forum for a little while and thought I better register.

After 10 minutes on the phone (6 of those on hold) to Setanta they were finally able to tell me the race will be re run in full on Thursday at 3 am (nothing like a prime time spot!).
Considering they said they've had loads of complaints about this, why did it take them so long to find out when the re run is? I can't be the only one who wanted to know when I was going to see it (ALL of it!) and why are we having to wait over 3 days to see it? :mad:

I say bring back NASN for less money and Setanta can stick their extra stuff!

dwboogityfan
2nd April 2007, 12:59
It was extremely annoying that we got so close to the end and were then cut off. NASN needs to have a contingency plan in place for a rain delay or over-run.
Hopefully it will just be a one off but was not too happy last night having to watch the end on TVU.

ghostdancing
2nd April 2007, 13:20
Amazing

Phoned Sentanta/NASN during lunch, and asked if and when they will be re broadcasting the whole event. Was told there will be a highlight show at 4pm today.

GREAT, I'm at work, like everyone else on here, are thye just stupid.
I told them they need to re-run the entire race.
Stop broadcasting NASCAR in Sentanta Ireland 434.
Don't stop a live event for a pre-recorded event.
Put NASCAR back on NASN, and make sure you have dead event behind it to move or cancel. How many times last year did we have to put up with rounders over running, and missing the pre race show.

Oh yes the prerace show, where the hell was that for Bristol.
COT and all that, we missed it all.

Calm down, deep breathing............

svtbhoy
2nd April 2007, 14:38
unreal......I couldnt even get through to them. Why dont they show the race on Celtic or Rangers TV. Both channels sit empty all weekend then everyone could watch the race (UK & Ireland)
Still dont know if I should cry or laugh after that last night. Setanta wouldnt be slow in getting in touch with us if we didnt pay them.
AND they hiked the prices up at the begining of the football season to pay for NEXT years EPL coverage.
I think it would be easier to get a citizens visa and move to the US rather than getting a decent deal from Setantapants.
Anyway.....could be worse.......you could drive a Toyota!

JovialJooles
2nd April 2007, 15:01
It was extremely annoying that we got so close to the end and were then cut off. NASN needs to have a contingency plan in place for a rain delay or over-run.
Hopefully it will just be a one off but was not too happy last night having to watch the end on TVU.

Erm, you obviously didn't subscribe last season.

This is nothing new. Setanta have your money, they don't care about customer service. Keep paying and keep getting screwed, they are past masters at it...

As a Virgin customer I could pay £15.99 for the thrill of watching highlights, they don't even bother with the live races for us.

I've been using TVU all season so far without any probs.

Julian :cool:

gary_580
2nd April 2007, 16:08
The Wheels 'channel' on TVU shows ESPN2 so I'm sure we'll be able to watch the rest of the season on there.

At the moment the quality is pretty poor on Wheels, but when more people start watching (ie when NASCAR is being shown) the quality will improve. I believe this is why the quality on Fox is bad before the green flag drops, but picks up afterward.

I've tried to Busch races on wheels and it was unwatchable. I suspect its due to the bandwidth from wheels to TVU and nothing to do with from TVU to us.

gary_580
2nd April 2007, 16:12
Hi Guys,

Been browsing the forum for a little while and thought I better register.

After 10 minutes on the phone (6 of those on hold) to Setanta they were finally able to tell me the race will be re run in full on Thursday at 3 am (nothing like a prime time spot!).
Considering they said they've had loads of complaints about this, why did it take them so long to find out when the re run is? I can't be the only one who wanted to know when I was going to see it (ALL of it!) and why are we having to wait over 3 days to see it? :mad:

I say bring back NASN for less money and Setanta can stick their extra stuff!

Couldnt careless when the rerun is, once the result is known its all pointless. Live or nothing i say! Its a bit like the busch, whats to point in showing it AFTER the cup race when your been told the result

gary_580
2nd April 2007, 16:15
Amazing

Put NASCAR back on NASN,...

They cant, Setanata only have the rights for UK and Ireland, NASN can be seen in other countries

gary_580
2nd April 2007, 16:16
unreal......I couldnt even get through to them. Why dont they show the race on Celtic or Rangers TV. Both channels sit empty all weekend then everyone could watch the race (UK & Ireland)
Still dont know if I should cry or laugh after that last night. Setanta wouldnt be slow in getting in touch with us if we didnt pay them.
AND they hiked the prices up at the begining of the football season to pay for NEXT years EPL coverage.
I think it would be easier to get a citizens visa and move to the US rather than getting a decent deal from Setantapants.
Anyway.....could be worse.......you could drive a Toyota!

They used Rangers TV at the back end of last year and that channel cuts off at midnight

rainbow warrior
2nd April 2007, 19:11
Hey Guys,

Here is a copy of my coplaint for your info....

I will let you know if/when I get a reply...

Cheers

RW

Dear Sirs

Although we am well aware that yesterday was April Fools Day, it was our impression that you had to fool the people before midday…!!!

We are ABSOLUTLY aghast that whilst watching the exciting impending climax to the Martinsville NASCAR race live from the USA last night that

our channel “cut off” at 23.00hrs as “Setanta Ireland” had a programme scheduled for that time.

We pay you a premium each month to have the access to the NASCAR season, and as you are the only place to watch it in the UK we are extremely grateful

That you provide us with this service, we also – surely – have the right to see the entire show….??? – would you cut off a pay-per-view boxing match because it

Had gone over 3 rounds….???? – or a football match because it ran into extra time…..NO YOU WOULD NOT – so why did you cut off the NASCAR..??

You have obviously paid for the rights to show the entire race, so why could you not have continued coverage on one of your numerous other channels….NASN had

Some rubbish on about tips from the pro’s – hardly a crowd puller.

And you have had the cheek to increase the subscription.

You get the full amount of money from us each month purely for the NASCAR – you even get money from us in the off season – if you put a recorder on my

Sky box, you would see that we watch NONE of you other channels or programming – the ONLY sport we watch is NASCAR, and we get treated like this.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

71minus2
2nd April 2007, 19:43
I added my comments the email below was sent to NASN and Watchdog.

Dear Sirs

For the second time this year I have had to complain about your service. This time is the shambolic treatment of your customers and lack of regard for NASCAR fans paying a premium to watch the races you fought to obtain the rights for.

I watched, on Setanta Ireland, the NASCAR race from Martinsville last night (01 April - how very appropriate) until 11pm when, without warning, you turned off the channel leaving us with no indication if you were experiencing technical problems (which at the same time your other channels were) or whether you had turned off the channel to UK subscribers with a “tough luck” mentality.

In short, I am appalled that you could even contemplate such actions! A concerns echoed by several NASCAR fans here http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116297

You will notice that Watchdog has been CC’d into this email. I’m sure they will add this to an ever increasing pile of ripped off premium subscription channel subscribers.

I await your comment

Yours

Richard Lowery

GARYGAZZA
2nd April 2007, 20:36
They used Rangers TV at the back end of last year and that channel cuts off at midnight
Yes but they had a ticker tape banner to say it would continue on setanta 1.Ive watched all races on tvu this year with only a slight glitch last night.When are ESPN taking control of Nasn.Prehaps things might change then.Its got to be live races only,50 minutes highlights are pointless.One minute a driver is running 2 laps down then the next he is leading,how did that happen,only full live coverage has the answer.

Speedworx
2nd April 2007, 23:33
Guys you need to get a grip. When the show scheduled for AFTER NASCAR is Ireland only the channel will always lock out the other viewers. There is very little they can do to stop this as its most likely automated and with it being 11pm on a Sunday night, no one there to stop it.

Only way to stop it is have something else after nascar thats not ireland only.

RaceAcePete
2nd April 2007, 23:43
Hi All,
I've been reading your comments, and I agree with them all... especially :-

'Couldnt careless when the rerun is, once the result is known its all pointless. Live or nothing i say! Its a bit like the busch, whats to point in showing it AFTER the cup race when your been told the result'

It's a double wammy, NASN FINALLY gets NASCAR, form the people (ESPN) who own them, (Bad if they can't deal with thamselves !) and then to top it all, can't show it in the UK.
They also take Busch racing from Motors TV, stopping us from watching it live, then show it after they tell you the result.

I am wondering just how many NASCAR fans only subscribe to NASN/Setanta purely for the NASCAR / Busch races like me ?
Also does anyone else actually pay £15.00 per month for the 'other' fare.
What's the percentage ?

Also ..... AS LIVE ?????? Only LIVE can be AS LIVE .... HELLO NASN !!!!
The lights on, but there's no one home.

My complaints are going out tomorrow....... I needed a couple of days to calm down.

C'mon Biff !!!

Pete

GARYGAZZA
3rd April 2007, 07:26
I subscribe to these robbing blighters and the only the only reason is to watch Nascar.I pay £14.99 a month for the pleasure but being cable i only get as live or is it as recorded Busch races and Nascar now.Iam not interested in any of the other sports on Setanta.
I can not get over to USA for races although I hope to one day.I sit in front of my computor for hours just to watch a live race so I think i am an avid fan (BAH BAH).

JovialJooles
3rd April 2007, 10:03
I am ready to stand corrected...

I don't understand why people keep waiting for NASN to be sold to ESPN. Is it actually going to make any difference?

NASN are not showing the races, Setanta Ireland are. I honestly think it has nothing to do with TV rights, it's about Setanta keeping NASCAR once NASN is sold.

Setanta have bought the rights for the season and I think they know a lot of subscriptions are purely for people to watch NASCAR. Therefore, once NASN is sold off, they will loose a large part of their subscription base. However, keeping NASCAR on Setanta Ireland guarantees them a good subscriber base in the UK and will help them to negotiate good advertising contracts for 2008 when they have FA Cup. I can here it now, look at our current subscriber base in 2007 and look at the projections for 2008!

If the NASN sale actually gets cleared, and if NASCAR moves with NASN, I may start subscribing again.

However, another spanner in the works for us VirginMedia customers is the lack of bandwidth on the VirginMedia TV platform. At present we do not get Setanta Ireland as part of the Setanta sports pack, all apparently due to a lack of bandwidth.

We have no way of knowing how ESPN will package NASN; will it be part of a larger sports pack like Setanta or a stand alone service? Will VirginMedia have the capacity to add more channels to their portfolio?

Who knows...

gary_580
3rd April 2007, 10:22
NASN FINALLY gets NASCAR, form the people (ESPN) who own them, (Bad if they can't deal with thamselves !) and then to top it all, can't show it in the UK.

Also ..... AS LIVE ?????? Only LIVE can be AS LIVE .... HELLO NASN !!!!
The lights on, but there's no one home.

NASN is being bought by ESPN. ESPN do NOT currently own NASN and hence Setanta has to get the rights to the NASCAR

AS LIVE means as is says, the race is shown in its entirety as if it was live

gary_580
3rd April 2007, 10:31
I don't understand why people keep waiting for NASN to be sold to ESPN. Is it actually going to make any difference?

NASN are not showing the races, Setanta Ireland are. I honestly think it has nothing to do with TV rights, it's about Setanta keeping NASCAR once NASN is sold.

Setanta have bought the rights for the season and I think they know a lot of subscriptions are purely for people to watch NASCAR. Therefore, once NASN is sold off, they will loose a large part of their subscription base. However, keeping NASCAR on Setanta Ireland guarantees them a good subscriber base in the UK and will help them to negotiate good advertising contracts for 2008 when they have FA Cup. I can here it now, look at our current subscriber base in 2007 and look at the projections for 2008!

If the NASN sale actually gets cleared, and if NASCAR moves with NASN, I may start subscribing again.

However, another spanner in the works for us VirginMedia customers is the lack of bandwidth on the VirginMedia TV platform. At present we do not get Setanta Ireland as part of the Setanta sports pack, all apparently due to a lack of bandwidth.

We have no way of knowing how ESPN will package NASN; will it be part of a larger sports pack like Setanta or a stand alone service? Will VirginMedia have the capacity to add more channels to their portfolio?

Who knows...

I know for a fact that Setanta cant show NASCAR of NASN as NASN can be seen in europe, however Setanta only have the UK and Irelnad rights to NASCAR this year and hence why its on Setanta Ireland.

I agree, the fact that ESPN is buying NASN is irrelavent as we dont know what the sale deal is, i've heard rumours that the sale forces NASN to stay in the Setanta package, we dont know if the NASCAR rights is with Setanta or the owners of NASN.

The lack of bandwidth on Virgin in my opinion is total bull, they have just lost 5 Sky channels and the movies on analogue have vanished recently so there is definately spare bandwidth available.

This whole episode stinks, Setanta are incompetant and have constantly demonstrated this since the start of the chase last year. they blame VM, VM blame Setanta. The phase "piss ups in brewerys" springs to mind.

JovialJooles
3rd April 2007, 10:43
Had the European rights already gone, or did Setanta choose not to get them?

I had already thought about the SKY channels going on VM, but remember, VM are going to increase the On Demand/Virgin Central facilities with a lot of crud that few people will watch, that will loose a lot of bandwidth.

This episode does stink, and the steam is still rising.

Abo
3rd April 2007, 11:05
Ok, here are the ports used by TVU. open them up in your router/firewall and it should improve matters:

3940, 3952, 3951, 3950: open for both UDP and TCP

3940 is the important one for viewing channels.

If you're having problems with the channel list, open port 8080 to UDP and TCP also

Abo
3rd April 2007, 11:17
Something else, I see TVU has released a new player on the 30th March. You can get it from http://www.tvunetworks.com

Abo
3rd April 2007, 12:14
sorry, another post...

I've just installed the new player, made sure I've opened up the ports listed above in both my router and software firewall, and I'm currently watching WHEELS at 395kbps. The quality is about the same as I get while watching NASCAR on FOX i.e. no pausing and a reasonable image on my TV (a bit blocky on the PC though due to the higher resolution). It's showing SPEED...

NASCAR8
3rd April 2007, 12:28
I phoned NASN right away and was on hold for 20 mins, in the end i hung up and called back at midnight. When i got through they said it was not there fault it RAINED!!! I informed them this is NASCAR and we have had rain-delay racing for over 50 years, but they were not interested. I just hope everyone who was shafted by NASN have sent them a email. i sure have.

Abo
3rd April 2007, 13:04
I bet they've made it so you can't use it to wiggle out their contract though

gary_580
3rd April 2007, 13:09
If you had those ports blocked it just wouldnt have worked at all. The speed increase is more likely due to the time of day here and the time of day in the USA.

The new version was the only way i could get FOX listed last Sunday

ghostdancing
3rd April 2007, 16:00
Though I started this thread, I haven't contributed to it since the first night.

And the reason why, is...........

I have not had a reply or acknowledgement from NASN regarding my complaint email I sent the same night.

That really is bad disrespectful customer service.

ghostdancing
3rd April 2007, 18:55
Got a reply from NASN at 6pm today, couple of hours after I posted my update.

Thank you for contacting NASN - the only TV channel dedicated to North American sports in Europe.
Unfortunately we experienced some technical issues associated to the broadcast of the NASCAR Goody’s 500 race shown on Setanta Ireland on Sunday 1st April.

Due to the race being delayed due to weather conditions and previously scheduled events on the Setanta Ireland channel, we were unable to show the full race to all of our subscribers.

We sincerely apologise for this interruption and remain absolutely committed to providing the very best coverage of all our sports. In live programming situations we always work to extend coverage to completion. We recognise that this was not the case for all our customers on Sunday for the reasons already outlined. In recognition of this we have scheduled a 1/2 hour episode of NASCAR Now - airing on NASN main channel at 1830 tonight (Tuesday 3rd April). Repeated at 0300 Tuesday 3rd / Wednesday 4th. Additionally, we also have a 1-hour extended highlights show including the key events of the Goody's 500 race - the race that was affected -Tonight at Midnight and a full repeat of the race will be shown in full on Setanta Ireland, Thursday 5th April 0300. We would also assure you that we have made appropriate changes within the schedule to allow us greater flexibility going forward.
Once again, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Well I guess they have apologised, and admitted that they need to put in place a greater amount of flexability. Lets hope for a trouble free season from now on !

71minus2
3rd April 2007, 19:09
i just got the same email. Fingers crossed then eh!

jeffmr2
3rd April 2007, 19:34
Just thought i'd share with you how frustrating my weekend has been!!Things statred going wrong on saturday turned tvu player on to watch crafstaman trucks only to see fox channel had been removed,it was back on sunday morning,was it removed just to ruinmy sat night who knows!!.
I went to pub sunday night (finished last in our pub skittle game) happy in the thought i could watch martinsville monday night.Dont think i need to say anymore on this.
Still i thought its not the end of the world,i'll tape nascar highlights on channel 5 and watch the end of the race today.I get up early this morning only to see my sky box had another wobbly so all ive taped is a blue screen sayingthere is a technical problem with this channel.
Ive given up now and checked result and last 2 laps on nascar.com and happy to see both my drivers finished in top5 :)
Actually as the day has gone on i'm seeing the funny side of things and this thread has gor me laughing all the more.I'm not trying to wind anyone up so dont be offended but i cant help but think complaining to watchdog is sooo over the top its unreal,lighten up a bit guys (and girls).I agree with constructive polite criticism to NASN and hope you all accept theyre apology.

Incidentally my tvy player has been so frustrating for ages,all channels work fine except one and yes the one bing wheels!!!Everytime i try to open it it seems to star loading and then just says stopped.Hopefully this new version will help.I'm really thick as s**t when it comes to computers so dont understand all the commentc about opening ports,if someone can explain this to me in noddy's guide to computers i'd be very gratefull.

Sorry for such a long post,i hope some of you can see theyre weekends were better than mine lol!!

JovialJooles
3rd April 2007, 19:37
Doh! seems to be the most appropriate thing to say Jeff.

The new TVU player is so much better than the old one.

jeffmr2
3rd April 2007, 19:45
Doh! seems to be the most appropriate thing to say Jeff.

The new TVU player is so much better than the old one.

LOl yeah think youre right.
I'll be checking tvu later in the middle of downloading other nascar stuff at the moment,no doubt that will go wrong as well.
Oh yeah also i went to gym tonight so missed nascar now at 6.30

hunter26
3rd April 2007, 20:39
To be honest the only time i really needed tvu player to work was last sunday night and QUICKLY and fox wasnt on my channel list anymore!!!
As a matter of fact it still isnt, thanks for the tips on ports tho, ive opened them and hopefully it will stop some of the freezing!

Abo
3rd April 2007, 22:24
If you had those ports blocked it just wouldnt have worked at all. The speed increase is more likely due to the time of day here and the time of day in the USA.

The new version was the only way i could get FOX listed last Sunday

Nah, I'm getting 1260kbps (yes, twelve hundred) at the moment from FOX...

This is compared with about 60kbps on Sunday when port 3490 wasn't configured, and ~300kbps during Daytona: before I got the router and was just running straight off the cable modem.

It seems to me that it does the same as e.g. a bit torrent client, where if you rely on your software firewall to automatically configure itself you do get something, but without manually opening the ports you don't get all the connections.

I'm not a network engineer; all I know is today, when I opened that port I'd overlooked I'm getting over ten times the bandwidth.

SOD
4th April 2007, 20:29
There was no problem with race coverage on Setanta Sports Ireland in Ireland.

GARYGAZZA
4th April 2007, 20:52
There was no problem with race coverage on Setanta Sports Ireland in Ireland.

Do i take it that last sundays race cutting off with 60 laps to go was no problem?Or did you get to watch it all?

eastlmark
4th April 2007, 22:37
NASN has short memeories, a few years ago when the track broke up at Martinsville there was a huge delay and they stuck with it and still managed to show the whole thing. Sundays rain delay must have been the shortest rain delay in NASCAR history. There was no excuse for treating us like that. I have only just re-subscribed after the debacle of last year.....hope I dont live to regret it.

Abo
5th April 2007, 09:10
hope I dont live to regret it.

NASN driving you to suicide? ;)

SOD
5th April 2007, 16:18
Do i take it that last sundays race cutting off with 60 laps to go was no problem?Or did you get to watch it all?

I got to see it all.

cutting races off with 60 laps to go is how Sentata will lose their customers

Its info worth using against Setanta/NASN to say that Setanta Sports ireland in Ireland didn't cut off with 60 laps let.

Speedworx
9th April 2007, 23:09
I got to see it all.

cutting races off with 60 laps to go is how Sentata will lose their customers

Its info worth using against Setanta/NASN to say that Setanta Sports ireland in Ireland didn't cut off with 60 laps let.

Well duh!

The program after was Ireland only, so it was never going to get cut off.

Abo
12th April 2007, 14:28
So, any ideas how Setanta/NASN are going to screw the coverage up this coming weekend?

gary_580
12th April 2007, 20:24
So, any ideas how Setanta/NASN are going to screw the coverage up this coming weekend?

Wait till Arizona then ask the same question ;) its a night race

eastlmark
12th April 2007, 23:24

Well, Busch highlights are scheduled after it so there is NO WAY they would cut the end of the cup race to show that.....would they?

uskram
13th April 2007, 08:52
Got a reply from NASN at 6pm today, couple of hours after I posted my update.

Thank you for contacting NASN - the only TV channel dedicated to North American sports in Europe.
Unfortunately we experienced some technical issues associated to the broadcast of the NASCAR Goody’s 500 race shown on Setanta Ireland on Sunday 1st April.

Due to the race being delayed due to weather conditions and previously scheduled events on the Setanta Ireland channel, we were unable to show the full race to all of our subscribers.

We sincerely apologise for this interruption and remain absolutely committed to providing the very best coverage of all our sports. In live programming situations we always work to extend coverage to completion. We recognise that this was not the case for all our customers on Sunday for the reasons already outlined. In recognition of this we have scheduled a 1/2 hour episode of NASCAR Now - airing on NASN main channel at 1830 tonight (Tuesday 3rd April). Repeated at 0300 Tuesday 3rd / Wednesday 4th. Additionally, we also have a 1-hour extended highlights show including the key events of the Goody's 500 race - the race that was affected -Tonight at Midnight and a full repeat of the race will be shown in full on Setanta Ireland, Thursday 5th April 0300. We would also assure you that we have made appropriate changes within the schedule to allow us greater flexibility going forward.
Once again, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I got this e-mail as well but i replied thus:
Thanx for that, I have just checked my e-mails this morning and having read this I've missed half of the scheduled viewing.... In fact the e-mail arrived after the NASCAR now programme had been shown. See below!!!!!! This is obviously a standard retort to all of us dedeicated NASCAR fans, all I'm asking for is cast iron assurances and a little more customer care and this reply doesn't inspire me with confidence.

And got this back yesterday, what do you reckon?
I would like to assure you that we take all enquiries seriously. First of all, I would like to apologise that your customer experience and the original email response has not acheived the standard you expect or indeed we hope to deliver. However, I can confirm that the information provided is accurate and I can only re-iterate what has previously been advised.

We did experience some technical issues associated to the broadcast of the NASCAR Goody’s 500 race shown on Setanta Ireland on Sunday 1 st April which was was caused due to the race being delayed as a result of weather conditions and with previously scheduled events on the Setanta Ireland channel already in place, we were unable to show the full race to all of our subscribers.

I can assure you that the appropriate changes have been made within the schedule to allow us greater flexibility going forward and we very much appreciate you sharing your views with us as we continue to develop the channel. Your comments have been forwarded to our programming and selection team for review and consideration.

Once again, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Yours sincerely
Kerry Boba
Setanta Sports and NASN Customer Services

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
13th April 2007, 10:08
I thought i saw GP2 was on after the race is that not the case?

gary_580
13th April 2007, 13:25
Well, Busch highlights are scheduled after it so there is NO WAY they would cut the end of the cup race to show that.....would they?

Busch isnt on Setanta Ireland ?

richmondgirl
13th April 2007, 21:36
Just wanted to alert all of you in the UK about good news on watching the Busch races. Suzuki is sponsoring for free the Busch broadcast. They are doing fthis for a good number of races.

Go to NASCAR.Com and look on the right side of the page. It will be the ESPN feed. I don't know if it will have all the pre race stuff or just the race itself.

FYI Montoya has qualified 15th for the Busch race tomorrow.

eastlmark
13th April 2007, 23:19
Busch isnt on Setanta Ireland ?

Check the schedule Gary:
http://www.nasn.com/content/nasn/portal.nsf/systemcontent/tvschedule?open&channel=nasnextra

Speedworx
13th April 2007, 23:22
Check the schedule Gary:
http://www.nasn.com/content/nasn/portal.nsf/systemcontent/tvschedule?open&channel=nasnextra

Texas is scheduled to finish at 11pm, followed by GP2.

eastlmark
15th April 2007, 23:38
Well they just squeezed it in but with no major delays one has to wonder what would have happened had it gone on past 11pm in the UK. Setanta Ireland cut off on the dot at 11. The scheduled GP2 and Busch race not for our eyes in the UK it seems. (yes I know they were on elsewhere and will be shown again but I was in the mood for it after that exciting finish)

Speedworx
16th April 2007, 08:23
GP2 is Ireland only.

Busch race is on NASN later in the week.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
16th April 2007, 12:25
So what is the plan if the race does overrun? the channel would have cut us UK viewers off at 11pm again.

eastlmark
17th April 2007, 22:12
Well they just squeezed it in but with no major delays one has to wonder what would have happened had it gone on past 11pm in the UK. Setanta Ireland cut off on the dot at 11. The scheduled GP2 and Busch race not for our eyes in the UK it seems. (yes I know they were on elsewhere and will be shown again but I was in the mood for it after that exciting finish)

Oh! it was blanked off for an hour and then came back to life for the Busch race, well I never. I guess this is auto programmed in and will cut out deadon time regardless of an overrun. Lets hope I am wrong about that.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
18th April 2007, 11:15
I have sent them the following question to NASN. I think it would be a good idea if a few more sent a similar request for information. Is it to much to ask for a little common sense from the people at NASN?

"I noticed Sunday night after watching the Samsung 500 that GP2 was scheduled to start at 11pm. The race did finish within the scheduled time so it was not cut off but there coverage was still on. I am not really bothered by this, I got to see the full race so no complaints there. I am really after an answer for the following question. If Sunday the race had overran past 11pm would we loose coverage? And if so what are the plans if a race does overrun. After the debacle that followed the Martinsville race being cut off with 75 laps to go, I was assured that changes have been made so this wouldn’t happen again. If the GP2 is programmed to start at 11pm and cut our feed here in the UK, wouldn’t the NASCAR coverage have been lost and we would have had a repeat of what happened with the Martinsville coverage?."

eastlmark
18th April 2007, 22:30
mmm...Busch race scheduled live on Sat morning 2am.......

Speedworx
18th April 2007, 23:19
Interesting. Will have to tape that then!