PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks Grosjean should finally retire? Is being 430 years old too old for F1?

markabilly
7th October 2012, 16:41
Yes, I know he keeps retiring himself in almost every race, usually somewhere around the first corner on the first lap..... :rolleyes:

But given the relative age of the two and the number of incidents, if da Shoe at 43 should retire, I estimate that Romain's age must be around 430 years or so.

Since bans do not seem to work, I suggest a "forever retirement" for him, albeit voluntary or otherwise. :vader:

When I was young and raced motorcycles, after a few laps, I would get into a zone where everything seemed to be slow motion. I could see faces, hand gestures, a dime laying on circuit, pebbles and knew where they would be as I came around for the next lap. My lap times would drop dramactically.

But I figured I could never ever be a pro racer, because I could not just jump on the bike and do it immediately. That first lap, no matter how hard I tried, how fast I rode, was always by far the slowest, even in the practice, when all by myself.

But I figure I could have been a Romain Candle and do just fine in F1. :eek:

N. Jones
7th October 2012, 20:04
Maldonado is just as bad, although he hasn't been bashing into anyone lately. I think he just needs more time to settle down.

Cooper_S
7th October 2012, 20:16
Superlicences should be liable to penalty points which in turn should warrant a ban if they become excessive...

Mark
7th October 2012, 20:21
That was the idea behind reprimands. Get three and get a ban. They seem to have been forgotten about.

steveaki13
7th October 2012, 22:32
I saw a article on Sky Sports News advertised as coming up after the break and so never saw it, but they said there are calls for Grosjean to be turfed out of F1.

Not sure who by, but that seems a bit extreme. After all Andrea De Cesaris & the likes would never have started 200 odd GPs.

truefan72
8th October 2012, 00:45
ridiculous...that's all i can say
massive over reaction

gloomyDAY
8th October 2012, 00:48
You're drunk Mark. Go home! :p

Somebody
8th October 2012, 01:52
That was the idea behind reprimands. Get three and get a ban. They seem to have been forgotten about.

Three (of which two must be for driving offences) makes for a ten-place grid penalty, not an actual ban.

mstillhere
8th October 2012, 05:14
Yes, I know he keeps retiring himself in almost every race, usually somewhere around the first corner on the first lap..... :rolleyes:

But given the relative age of the two and the number of incidents, if da Shoe at 43 should retire, I estimate that Romain's age must be around 430 years or so.

Since bans do not seem to work, I suggest a "forever retirement" for him, albeit voluntary or otherwise. :vader:

Although car accidents happen in racing the fact that Romain is not able to turn around the first corner with his car intact shows IMO that he needs to either qualify last every time or change sport. My concern in mainly due to the fact that the last time he could have killed Alonso. I know it would have been uintentional obviously but the fact that not only he ruins his races but he keeps in ruining other people races as well it's just not professional enough. Webber calls him now the "first lap fool" or something like that. I mean the guy has lost all respect from his fellow drivers.
He needs to get

When I was young and raced motorcycles, after a few laps, I would get into a zone where everything seemed to be slow motion. I could see faces, hand gestures, a dime laying on circuit, pebbles and knew where they would be as I came around for the next lap. My lap times would drop dramactically.

But I figured I could never ever be a pro racer, because I could not just jump on the bike and do it immediately. That first lap, no matter how hard I tried, how fast I rode, was always by far the slowest, even in the practice, when all by myself.

But I figure I could have been a Romain Candle and do just fine in F1. :eek:

After giving him the benefit of the doubt and "hearing" him saying that the ban did him good I really think that he should try drag racing. It would be perfect: nobody in front of him and plenty of speed and horse power at his disposal.

What scared me the most was the fact tha he could have killed Alonso in one of latest accidents and if something like this would happen in the future - which we all agree could very likely happen give his history - I don't think anybody could say that "that car accident couldn't have been avoided" or that it was a simple car accident.

So, before he causes something irreparable, I think he hould go.

F1boat
8th October 2012, 17:51
Grosjean had first lap accidents in 50% of his race starts in F1, this is simply inexcusable. He is a danger on track and if he doesn't change, he must retire or try a different form of motorsport which allows little bumps - touring cars for example.

dj_bytedisaster
10th October 2012, 15:24
Grosjean has driven himself into a tight corner, but at least for the latest incident there are complicating circumstances. The guy's back fresh frrom a ban and I'm pretty sure some guys are squeezing him harder at the start, knowing that he's being closely watched and will most likely back off earlier than the next guy. That is dangerous for all drivers. I think Renault should draft someone else in for the last 5 races (wonder if they still have Heidfelds number on speed-dial) and start over with RG in the next season.

Bezza
10th October 2012, 17:25
I find it a perfect opportunity for Lotus to employ Kobayashi as their No. 2 for next season. He is fast and not erratic. He obviously is not perfect, but as shown with his drive in Suzuka, would be more than good enough for Lotus as a No. 2 to Raikkonen. Also, I'd give a shout for Timo Glock, who deserves a better drive than Marussia.

Grosjean sadly seems to have great speed at times, but is not learning from his mistakes. He seems to have a bit of a typical French naive attitude as well, which I am not a fan of I'm afraid. Lotus are losing points with him at the wheel.

Despite all this, I think they'll keep him on considering his speed and potential. However, similar to Piquet Jr in 2009 he'll be under too much pressure and they'll probably end up replacing him mid-2013.

Knock-on
11th October 2012, 11:10
All these good seats and PdR hovering ;)

zako85
11th October 2012, 11:54
I think both Grosjean and Maldonado, assuming they don't do anything stupid in the remaining races, deserve a chance for one more "probation" year in Formula 1. Both are fast on a good day. Maldonado's problem is that he is too aggressive when he is approaching serious points positions. One out of three races, Grosjean seems to think that the race is about getting first to the third corner.

SteveA
11th October 2012, 14:14
After giving him the benefit of the doubt and "hearing" him saying that the ban did him good I really think that he should try drag racing. It would be perfect: nobody in front of him and plenty of speed and horse power at his disposal.

err...

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4zjhvXDkeg]

CNR
11th October 2012, 14:28
Ecclestone urges Lotus to test Grosjean's vision (http://www.worldcarfans.com/112101149279/ecclestone-urges-lotus-to-test-grosjeans-vision)
Ecclestone urges Lotus to test Grosjean's vision

nik
11th October 2012, 15:30
ridiculous...that's all i can say
massive over reaction

This. ^^^^

The incident with Di Resta at Silverstone for example was hardly Grosjeans fault. Paul cut across him.

I think drivers like Rosberg should be banned for doing nothing of interest every race. zzz

BDunnell
11th October 2012, 15:41
He seems to have a bit of a typical French naive attitude as well, which I am not a fan of I'm afraid.

What on earth does that mean?

Bezza
11th October 2012, 16:59
What on earth does that mean?

i.e. permanent smug grin on his face, seeming indifference to the fact that he has caused major crashes and general misplaced arrogant attitude. You can call that bigoted if you like with my French generalism there, but having recently had the misfortune of experienced a multitude of French people on holiday recently, I’m happy to tar them all with the same brush!

BDunnell
11th October 2012, 17:03
i.e. permanent smug grin on his face, seeming indifference to the fact that he has caused major crashes and general misplaced arrogant attitude. You can call that bigoted if you like with my French generalism there, but having recently had the misfortune of experienced a multitude of French people on holiday recently, I’m happy to tar them all with the same brush!

I think it's utter nonsense, personally.

F1boat
11th October 2012, 17:05
I think drivers like Rosberg should be banned for doing nothing of interest every race. zzz

I prefer boring Nico than crazy Romain who ruins the races of other people!