PDA

View Full Version : Turner Excluded From Race 3... Views!

ADnet
1st April 2007, 22:44
Article from crash.net found here:

http://www.crash.net/news_View~cid~10~id~145586.htm

From TV coverage, hard to see exactly what he did, i will have a look again later, but apparently excluded for his part in turkingtons race 3 retirement.

Now i didn't see that there was a lot of contact, he sure didn't nerf him off full on, but is this, along with jacksons black and orange flag all getting a little too health and safety mad? I'm all for safe racing, but steve soper in 2001 spent many laps touring around Oulton park with plooms of smoke and oil pouring from the back of his car from the race lead. I just feel it's all getting too strict!

BTCC Fan#1
1st April 2007, 23:04
As I said in the main Brands thread, from where I was sitting in the grandstand on the pit straight it seemed like a bit of a harsh move. A rather late lunge from Turner. :s

As for the black flags, I did wonder about Mat Jackson in race 1, surely if the problem went away within the 3 lap window he shouldn't have had to come in? It was hardly slowing him down either..

Les
1st April 2007, 23:08
It sounds like they are jumping hard on people to nip in the bud any sillyness before it gets out of hand.
As for Jackson - if he ignored smoke from a tyre which might have burst then maybe he would ignore smoke from oil which is thrown down on the circuit or maybe smoke from a fire?

thompp
1st April 2007, 23:36
As I said in the main Brands thread, from where I was sitting in the grandstand on the pit straight it seemed like a bit of a harsh move. A rather late lunge from Turner. :s

As for the black flags, I did wonder about Mat Jackson in race 1, surely if the problem went away within the 3 lap window he shouldn't have had to come in? It was hardly slowing him down either..

S technical flag is given if a damaged car is endangering other cars. Maybe the CoC was worried he was putting oil down on the track.

BeansBeansBeans
1st April 2007, 23:53
I'd have to have a look at the Turner / Turkington incident again before passing judgement.

As for Mat Jackson; yes it was disappointing to see him lose his 3rd place in race 1, and therefore his plum grid slot in race 2, but drivers who do not respond to flags must be penalised. There can be no grey area here.

m0rk
2nd April 2007, 09:01
He did it right in front of me at Clearways (damn camera was pointing the wrong way though)

it wasn't a full on door banging, just a little tap. but it seems the BM's just can't handle any unsettling (FWD would just nail the throttle....) so I can see that being the BMW's weak point

Same thing happened at Paddock hill in Race2, but with Tom O-C (and DT :D ) but Tom got out onto the track, whereas Turks just kinda spun, then drove into the Gravel

BDunnell
2nd April 2007, 10:28
Seems rather harsh to me. It was no worse than any of the other contact in any of the races.

coxmattycox
2nd April 2007, 11:58
dont really know about this incident did not see it,

but he he hit people in both of the previous races, deserved something to happen to him

Neil Adams
2nd April 2007, 12:14
i havent seen the coverage yet, was at the races, turner seemed to be knocking into people all day e.g. giovanardi lap 1 race 1, onslow cole race 2, turkington race 3, maybe this was one too many incidents involving him

the jackson exlusion was a real shame, i believe it was gearbox oil rather than tyre smoke so, this is why it was important for him to come into the pits

Robinho
2nd April 2007, 13:17
on its own i think he may have got away with it, but after a similar touch on TOC in the previous race and the first corner with Giovanardi i think the cumulative effect fair.

Pity for Jackson, but he was touring round dropping oil everywhere which needed a fair amount of clearing up, only fair to have been called in even if it wasn't adversley affecting his race.

reidy_fan
2nd April 2007, 13:36
think from what I saw Turner's wasnt too bad and didnt merit disqualification but if that is the way the COC is playing it then fine just as long as it is consistent and the likes of Neal etc get the same penalty

as for Jackson you have a 3 lap window to come in, he was flagged at the end of 24, so had potentially 25, 26,27 until he had to come in race ended at the end of 27 so was the guy supposed to come in at the end of 27 and by the end of 25 the smoke had cleared. So IMO the COC was wrong but it would be interesting to hear the mad monk's view on that one

WSRfan82
2nd April 2007, 14:51
i think it was right that turner got excluded and i was gutted for matt but rules are rules

ADnet
2nd April 2007, 15:40
thanks for the replies guys, i saw the coverage again, but unfortunately, the TV camera's only picked it up when Turkington was already into a slide, so never really got chance to see the initial contact. I just want to say, that i hope we don't get to the point of cars being under investigation for the slightest of contact!

From btcc.net: http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=472&month=0&year=2007&form=&searchterm=

[quote="btcc.net"]Officials judged that SEAT&#8217]

Views on this update?

BeansBeansBeans
2nd April 2007, 15:50
Four penalty points is an unprecedented amount for this sort of offence. Is it fair to say that Turner is being made an example of?

In fairness, the amount of contact does need to be reduced this year. Especially now we’re running S2000 spec cars which don’t seem to be able to withstand contact as well as the BTC spec machinery.

BDunnell
2nd April 2007, 16:03
In fairness, the amount of contact does need to be reduced this year. Especially now we’re running S2000 spec cars which don’t seem to be able to withstand contact as well as the BTC spec machinery.

In particular, the hatchbacks with rear wheels that are susceptible to contact.

nightwish
2nd April 2007, 16:14
I was standing on the viewing bank clark curve/clearways [freezing cold]and Darren Turner definatly hit Turkington.Bearing in mind Darren Turner had been to the naughty bus for the previous 2 races i was not surprised he was disqualified.Certainly a move i felt at the time warranted a drive through penalty.

ADnet
2nd April 2007, 17:30
I think 4 points may be a little excessive though, how many did reidy get in 2004?

but as mentioned earlier:

It sounds like they are jumping hard on people to nip in the bud any sillyness before it gets out of hand.
Maybe so, but i just hope it doesn't result in boring racing, with everyone being affraid to pass incase they touch the other car.

Dickie L'Amour
2nd April 2007, 18:21
As ever, easy for us armchair enthusiasts to pass judgement. What we don't have is access to information and facts that those who make the decisions have.

Winchester
2nd April 2007, 22:37
Four penalty points is an unprecedented amount for this sort of offence. Is it fair to say that Turner is being made an example of?

I think you might be on to something there! He did hit quite a few people over the three races though. But drove superbly in race 2.

Iain
2nd April 2007, 22:50

As well as being a bit more costly to repair than their predecessors.

I just think Turner needs to find the fine line between being too soft and too aggressive. He got bullied a bit last year as well as having to race for points and backup Plato. This year he's off the leash and is finding his feet properly.

Daz
2nd April 2007, 23:15
I think justice has partly been done with this but it doesn't give Colin his good points position back though.

thompp
3rd April 2007, 09:59
I think justice has partly been done with this but it doesn't give Colin his good points position back though.

Its the same problem with a lot of sports. If someone is disadvantaged by foul play, you can punish the perpertrator but you cant compensate the victim.

CarlMetro
3rd April 2007, 11:41
4 points is harsh but his disqualification is justified. Three seperate incidents in three races, and the last one removing a competitor from a high points scoring position would be all the evidence I would need to give him a slap on the wrist.

I do think with the 4 points that he's being made an example of though, although if it makes for less crashes and safer racing then I see no problem with that. When I go to watch BTCC I prefer to see BTCC racing rather than some of the banger racing we've seen over the past couple of years.