PDA

View Full Version : So the BMW 1 Series derv is .....

kali
1st April 2007, 20:59
No offence but we felt so sorry for this car, it was lapped by the front runners in every race and even the old BTC spec cars left it half a lap behind.

Like the way it made no noise apart from the turbo whistle but it needs a decent engine and it'll be right up the front.

VkmSpouge
1st April 2007, 21:05
Give the car some time. Kerry and his team have had very limited testing and were down on power. They will undoubtedly make improvements throughout the year and gain pace.

Brown, Jon Brow
Didn't he beat an Integra in race 1

It has alot more updates to come ;)

nicemms
Well its a new thing for them and everyone so this season will be a test for them as they modify the car's setup till they get it right.

speedy king
1st April 2007, 21:20
Considering it;s the first ever Diesel, i've seen a LOT worse efforts at the BTCC with much better equipment *cough* Varta

Brown, Jon Brow
1st April 2007, 21:23
Look at Speed Equipe Lexus in 2005! now that car got in the top 10 today.

Allyc85
1st April 2007, 21:45
bit harsh isnt it, main thing for them is the car actually running! give em time lol

Ian McC
1st April 2007, 21:46
Well however many improvements they make on the car there is one thing I don't think they can change. It's an ugly car :s

reidy_fan
1st April 2007, 22:01
bearing in mind that Rick Kerry and his squad have developed the car from scratch the fact that they are there shows a lot. Of course comments like the heading to this thread really encourages guys like Rick to come on here and have a chat with us fans :-(

Henry Cutts
1st April 2007, 22:03
All they need is some more power, car looks fairly sorted considering its not had much testing.

kali
1st April 2007, 22:12
I'm not slating the car at all, I think it looks really nice but it just didn't have the pace that the s2000 petrols had. Shame, cos it's a good idea but it won't be winning races. :(

Les
1st April 2007, 22:13
listening to Rick they have a lot of plans for this car and it should be doing a lot better soon.
Just give it and them time.
It's a pity that TOCA doesn't take into account new teams like this and allow them extra testing

cos
1st April 2007, 22:34
It's a pity that TOCA doesn't take into account new teams like this and allow them extra testing

I suppose Gow could give special dispensation for extra test days - if they don't ask they won't find out...

Eunos
1st April 2007, 23:00
Let's be Honest. Did you think it would be up there Whipping the Seats and the Vauxhall's. It takes patients, Hopefuly as the year goes on it will Improve, Who knows maybe next year we will see more than 1 of them in the Field.

ADnet
1st April 2007, 23:03
It's still a totally unknown quantity! may even take as long as mid-season before it starts to make proper impact at the sharp end, but i do hope it's sooner than that, other than that, well done to them for taking on a project, and well done for getting the diesel on the grid :D

Funks
1st April 2007, 23:05
bearing in mind that Rick Kerry and his squad have developed the car from scratch the fact that they are there shows a lot. Of course comments like the heading to this thread really encourages guys like Rick to come on here and have a chat with us fans :-(

Agreed. That's why I will change the thread title in a moment.

Unlike many other cars in recent years that have started a season without much testing, the derv didn't break. That's a great start to a championship in any new teams book.

BTCC Fan#1
1st April 2007, 23:11
I was sat next to a guy today who claimed to know Rick Kerry, and said he was actually on the verge of not racing due to the fact the car was still in bits mid-week! Credit to him and the team for turning up and competing, considering they've not turned a wheel before this race I think they did ok. Hopefully we'll see an improvement as the season continues, with a totally new car and a new engine they were never going to be scoring points. To call it a 'waste of time' seems a tad silly though.. :s

suzy m
1st April 2007, 23:16
....it was lapped by the front runners in every race and even the old BTC spec cars left it half a lap behind.

At least he showed some courtesy to the leading cars when he was being lapped and got well out of the way unlike someone else.

kali
2nd April 2007, 08:16
Hope it improves. Lovely car and respect to Kerry for the bold move.

CroftPilgrim
2nd April 2007, 10:36
I believe they are expecting some upgrades which will give some more bhp. Unfortunately, they weren't ready in time for Brands.

Good effort anyway. I was pleased to see them out. And I actually think the cars looks great!

Northern Monkey
2nd April 2007, 10:47
This is exactly why Rick said before the weekend that all they wanted to do was go and test the car at Brands:

“We've had a real battle just to get everything ready for Brands Hatch,” he admitted. “We know that the car has potential but it is still very early days, so people shouldn't expect too much from us just yet.

“We could have missed the first meeting and focused on Rockingham, but after all the hard work we have put in, we want to be there. We are just treating this weekend as a big test session and aren't setting ourselves any big goals, but if we can not finish last then that would be great!”

Nick The Flick
2nd April 2007, 10:47
I think it's a brave effort and well done to Rick and his team for getting this far!

It's early days yet and I am sure his lap times will get quicker as the engine and set-up become stronger.

Wouldn't it be scary if all the cars sounded like that?

Neil Adams
2nd April 2007, 11:58
i was impressed!
the cars reliable and seems to be handling well! just needs a bit more power,
im sure a rear wing would be advantageous as well!

they've done a fantastic job to get the car to this stage,
on mst its listed as a 130d? thought it was a 120d?

Rusty
2nd April 2007, 12:04
one simple sentence sums up Rick and the teams efforts....

WELL DONE AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK (and ignore what Clarkson thinks of diesels mate).....

100%hondafan
2nd April 2007, 13:05
well done im sure there is still loads to do to the car keep up the good work!

Robinho
2nd April 2007, 13:24
they finished all 3 races, and people always get lapped at Brands Indy, especially when you have a field the size they did.

i think they did a great job just to be there, and certainly weren't hopelessly off the pace, kept out of trouble and hopefully learned plenty about how to improve the car, given a little more power i fully expect them to improve over the season, even if they aren't exactly going to be troubling the scorers much this year they are a valued part of the show already.

d1xman
2nd April 2007, 17:55
hi everybody,

this car will go quicker and suprise a lot of people.
rick is also a very good driver.
just remember one thing he is actually out there competing and not sat at home wishing he was out racing.
everyone has to start somewhere.....do you think even the like of matt and jason came straight out in winning cars.just think ho long some of those guys have been doing the championships.

BeansBeansBeans
2nd April 2007, 18:00
do you think even the like of matt and jason came straight out in winning cars.

Plato stuck his Williams-Renault Laguna on pole for his first race.

I agree with what you're saying though :up:

racerm5
2nd April 2007, 21:43
Hi all
Just a real big thanks to everybodys support.I was dreading getting on here and seeing what people have said but im so surprised.
We really didnt know whether we should come out or not with so little time in the car and such an unknown project.
All i can say is we have a big list of improvements for rockingham most of all 25/30 bhp and sorting the brakes.The car handled ok considering that the first time we changed settings were between races 1 and 2.But we did go the wrong way for race 3.But power at 24hr spec just isnt enough so looking forward to seeing that increase.
A big thankyou to the team for even getting me out this early in the season.
and thanks again for all your support and kind words it does drive me and the team forward.
see you all at rockingham and will keep you informed when i can

cheers Rick

Robinho
2nd April 2007, 21:51
good luck Rick, if you do acheive a 10% + improvement in power then that should make a big difference, i don't think many cars will get that much of a boost over the whole season, let alone between meetings.

i think i speak for most when i say we're very impressed even by you making the grid. thanks for bothering to spend the time to keep us filled in and hope to see you move up the field, hopefully you can get some more TV exposure as a result, unfortunately we didn't see all that much of your car from the comfort of the armchair

Allyc85
2nd April 2007, 21:55
^ exactly what I was thinking!

Cheers rick, cant wait to see the car at thruxton :D

Winchester
2nd April 2007, 22:32
Keep it up Rick and all the best for the season.
I can't get used to how quiet the car is though!

PDS
2nd April 2007, 22:43
Rick and the crew are top blokes...

Without teams like these you would all be complaining that the grid sizes are too small!

Anyway, who saw his new bonnet emblem... sorry, grid girl?

http://www.stillphotography.co.uk/gallery/v/general/album10/album11/album13/ZoeStolley.jpg.html

LiamM
2nd April 2007, 22:48
Thats one reason to support him anyway!

Iain
2nd April 2007, 22:52
Well done Rick. The unique noise of the car certainly gets it noticed. Can't wait to see how it does when you get that extra power. :)

VXRDartford
2nd April 2007, 23:39
Hi all
Just a real big thanks to everybodys support.I was dreading getting on here and seeing what people have said but im so surprised.
We really didnt know whether we should come out or not with so little time in the car and such an unknown project.
All i can say is we have a big list of improvements for rockingham most of all 25/30 bhp and sorting the brakes.The car handled ok considering that the first time we changed settings were between races 1 and 2.But we did go the wrong way for race 3.But power at 24hr spec just isnt enough so looking forward to seeing that increase.
A big thankyou to the team for even getting me out this early in the season.
and thanks again for all your support and kind words it does drive me and the team forward.
see you all at rockingham and will keep you informed when i can

cheers Rick

Thanks for taking time to chat to the fans it great to see drivers like yourself on these forums keep up the good work will be cheering you on a rockingham

kali
2nd April 2007, 23:51
Rick and the crew are top blokes...

Without teams like these you would all be complaining that the grid sizes are too small!

Anyway, who saw his new bonnet emblem... sorry, grid girl?

http://www.stillphotography.co.uk/gallery/v/general/album10/album11/album13/ZoeStolley.jpg.html

eek, wish I had of been near the pits now!

Yeah it does look a bit strange without a rear wing but even though it wasn't that fast it was driven well and I can't wait to see how it gets on later in the season.

It was so wierd seeing a touring car go up hailwood hill in silence lol

Allyc85
3rd April 2007, 18:02
definetly supporting rick now, will she be at all the rounds? ;)

murrayfan
4th April 2007, 10:53
Yep He's Got A Huge Job On His Hands But I Think He's Uop 2 It Plus The Carhas The Best Exhaust Note In The Pit Lane

Iain
4th April 2007, 15:07
It does remind me of K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider when it passes with that noise from the turbo. :cool:

murrayfan
4th April 2007, 16:00
It does remind me of K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider when it passes with that noise from the turbo. :cool:
AND THE RAC CAR'S LOOK LIKE THE GENERAL LEE FROM DUKE'S OF HAZARD :)

racerm5
15th April 2007, 10:27
Hi All

I said id keep you updated with how things are progressing so here we are.
We have had a pedal box fitted so we wont be running servo brakes at rockingham.The brakes had no feel so i was feathering the brakes and then locking up all too easy.The most important is that germany motorsport are sending the ecu upgrade for the extra bhp for Rockingham this should be about 30bhp but even we dont know yet till it gets on the rollers.We have done a deal to be sponsored by a sequential gearbox company so subject to not bending the car at rockingham it will be fitted for thruxton.Cant give any names yet but will be official press release later this month.There has been extra bits and bobs done but no testing so all in all a big step forward and we hope it shows in improved lap times.
Please dont get carried away yet but we are trying.

Thanks again for everyones help and people support...

thanks Rick

Radders
15th April 2007, 12:36
Nice one Rick, cheers for the update, look forward to seeing how all goes at Rockingham. Best of luck!
On the gearbox front - would the system require modication for clutch etc to accomodate the extra torque compared to the petrol powered cars?

Funks
15th April 2007, 12:42
Excellent news Rick. It looked as though you were spinning the tyres up exiting a few corners at Brands so with another 30bhp going through them, you are going to have to feather the throttle not the brakes this time!
Fascinating project this one - I'm following it closely. All the best. :up:

Robinho
15th April 2007, 14:35
Hi All

I said id keep you updated with how things are progressing so here we are.
We have had a pedal box fitted so we wont be running servo brakes at rockingham.The brakes had no feel so i was feathering the brakes and then locking up all too easy.The most important is that germany motorsport are sending the ecu upgrade for the extra bhp for Rockingham this should be about 30bhp but even we dont know yet till it gets on the rollers.We have done a deal to be sponsored by a sequential gearbox company so subject to not bending the car at rockingham it will be fitted for thruxton.Cant give any names yet but will be official press release later this month.There has been extra bits and bobs done but no testing so all in all a big step forward and we hope it shows in improved lap times.
Please dont get carried away yet but we are trying.

Thanks again for everyones help and people support...

thanks Rick

great news Rick, sounds l;ike good progress, i hope it translates on the circuit

Allyc85
15th April 2007, 15:56
Great news Rick, cheers for the update and I hope it all goes well for you :D

kali
15th April 2007, 18:31
If you stick a vinyl of your grid girl on the back of the car all the front runners will slow down and get behind you to see it, therefore allowing you to take 1st in every race. :)

Good luck next Sunday, lots of corners for the car to pull itself out of.

CharlieJ
16th April 2007, 00:30
Great stuff Rick..... I'll be cheering you on at Rockingham. :D

racerm5
17th April 2007, 09:05
Hi
To answer radders question.The clutch is heavy duty but as yet we havent recieved the right one from bmw so we are using a sachs uprated road clutch. But the right one could even be here today with the ecu upgrade as it was confirmed by bmw it will be here today.People keep asking about the rear spoiler and it should be on for thruxton...thanks Rick

CroftPilgrim
17th April 2007, 13:49
Hi Rick

Another 30bhp possibly? Sounds great!

I still think you've got one of the best looking cars, even though I may be standing alone on that!

Look forward to cheering you on at Rockingham and hopefully I'll get to say Hi at Croft!

I am evil Homer
17th April 2007, 15:00
I agree....they've turned a butt ugly road car into an awesome looking tourer :)

Iain
23rd April 2007, 23:40
Had a quick word with Rick at the paddock walkabout yesterday. He said he was a bit frustrated as they were struggling with turbo lag due to the incorrect ECU being sent from Germany.

Nice to speak to you Rick, hope it gets sorted out for Thruxton. :)

racerm5
24th April 2007, 17:36
Hi All
What a strange weekend but it has lent to a lot of questions being answered by bmw.First we now know that the lag was caused by a switch on the clutch pedal from the road going car not being fitted.This is the antilag divise which tells the ecu that the clutch pedal has been pressed so it doesnt open the waste gate and chuck the boost out of the exhaust.Its a £10 switch and it caused us so much heartache and dissapointment.But we have had advice from bmw and they are keen to help at last.We think this problem lost us 4 to 5 seconds a lap.So we have to decide if we go to thruxton or if we test and fit the sequential box before croft.We just dont want to keep making excuses but want to perform as well as we think we should be.I will keep you posted...thanks Rick

Allyc85
24th April 2007, 18:16
please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, go Thruxton I cant make the september meeting and ive been wanting to see the car since the project was 1st announced!

racerm5
25th April 2007, 22:09
ok ok ok ok were going...

Allyc85
25th April 2007, 22:17
*massive grin*

PDS
25th April 2007, 22:19
ok ok ok ok were going...

Don't forget to bring Zoe!

Allyc85
25th April 2007, 22:19
good shout ;)

mattie007
26th April 2007, 22:23
Rick and his crew are doing a superb job. Keep up the good work mate! Should look quite nice with a S2000 spoiler, might even add a few mph!
Im sure you will get some points very soon.
It seems like you have the most support of any driver on these forums! All the best.

kali
26th April 2007, 23:53
I love this car, shame about the issues though.

Was strange watching it go round turn 1 alone and just going whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The men infront of us were talking about how amazing the speed was for a diesel car.

BeeJ_UK
1st May 2007, 18:01
AND THE RAC CAR'S LOOK LIKE THE GENERAL LEE FROM DUKE'S OF HAZARD :)

And the Team Dynamics Civics look like the old Outspan Orange car

m0rk
1st May 2007, 23:42
And the Team Dynamics Civics look like the old Outspan Orange car

Team Dynamic car
http://www.chrishodgephotos.co.uk/funpics/pixww/2003/03lb39.jpg

Outspan car
http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/d/2622-1/Matt+Neal.jpg

I can see the arguement

back on track - i really hope the ecu fixes & the magic switch all work for the tdi

thetrooper_uk
2nd May 2007, 13:05
Rick and his crew are doing a superb job. Keep up the good work mate! Should look quite nice with a S2000 spoiler, might even add a few mph!
Im sure you will get some points very soon.
It seems like you have the most support of any driver on these forums! All the best.

You won't gain speed with a spoiler, you'll lose it. The only way it will help is better corner speed also later braking. The spoiler will cause more drag in the straight line speed.