PDA

View Full Version : New F1 engines to be scrapped says Ecclestone

CNR
29th September 2012, 02:30
pitpass - New F1 engines to be scrapped says Ecclestone (http://www.pitpass.com/47448-New-F1-engines-to-be-scrapped-says-Ecclestone)

A new twist in the saga surrounding Lewis Hamilton has come to light and it is one which could affect much more in F1 than the career of Mercedes' new driver

Reporting in the Hindustan Times, the second most
widely read English newspaper in India, Pitpass'
business editor Christian Sylt reveals that controversial
environmentally-friendly new engines which are due to be introduced to F1 in
2014 are likely to be scrapped.

The new engine regulations were developed by the FIA, and
they involve replacing the current 2.4-litre V8s with more environmentally
friendly 1.6-litre turbo-charged V6 engines.

truefan72
29th September 2012, 03:47
its pitpass
nuff said

zako85
29th September 2012, 10:04
The article seems credible to me as we have heard Bernie Ecclestone's negative remarks about new engine sound before. I think Ecclestone and circuit owners are really worried about the fall of the "entertainment" value with the new engines. Remember that they have successfully ousted the inline-4 cylinder formula last year.

I do wonder if this could cause a knee jerk reaction from a manufacturer. Probably millions have been poured into V6 engine design by now. The worry about one manufacturer leaving F1 because of new engine formula doesn't seem credible to me. Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari clearly want to stay. Cosworth may be staying too. Besides, hasn't Renault already threatened to leave F1 if the engine formula was not changed?

There is little that can be done with the engine sound in the new formula. If the RPM is reduced, then the sound will be different, with less emphasis on high frequencies. If RPM limit is kept at 18,000RPM, then the V6 engines may end up being much more powerful than the current V8 engines, which may not be necessarily good.

Tazio
29th September 2012, 15:51
This is a direct quote of Bernie and is being reported by other news sources than Pit Pass. ;)
Of course Bernie talks a lot of sh!t :p :

CNR
30th September 2012, 01:04
its pitpass
nuff said

F1: Ecclestone Doesn (http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-bernie-ecclestone-doesnt-want-turbo-formula-in-2014/)
Bernie Ecclestone has suggested that the changeover to turbo rules from the current V8s should be postponed or even abandoned.