PDA

View Full Version : Vettel to Ferrari in 2014?

N4D13
29th September 2012, 00:10
I'm opening this thread to ask you guys about something - do you seriously believe that Ferrari is aiming for an Alonso/Vettel lineup in 2014? As much as one can understand that Ferrari may want having the two best drivers -very arguably- in the grid, I really fail to see why Ferrari would want to go down this route, specially considering the level of performance that Alonso is maintaining in 2012 and what happened back in 2007 in McLaren. Should there be internal fights in Ferrari, the result could be disastrous for the team. Unless Alonso were to retire soon - and this is certainly not what we've been hearing, why would you hire a driver who could destabilize him? Hiring a solid no. 2 driver, à la Webber, looks like an easier path towards championships, does it not?

tfp
29th September 2012, 00:34
I cant see that partnership working. Fred/Bunson would work better IMO. But good luck to Ferrari if they think they can get Bunson!

tfp
29th September 2012, 00:35
Or what about Heikki? Looking at the thread title, does that mean Massa seat is safe for next season?

N4D13
29th September 2012, 00:46
It's just that I can't see anyone past Massa for the Ferrari seat in 2013. Massa has been underperforming, that's obvious, but how can you be sure that his replacement would do any better? I can't see any reason why Kovy, Sutil, Kobayashi, Alguersuari or Schumacher would do any better, specially when having Alonso as a teammate. None of them have been driving really great during this season, if they have raced at all.

TheFamousEccles
29th September 2012, 01:11
I think Kobe would be a marvelous #2 at Ferrari.

(is it just me, or do others still have the Austin Powers moment when writing "#2" - snigger) Okay, back to the serious discussion.

F1boat
29th September 2012, 08:05
The rumors about Vettel in Ferrari are very persistent, and after the exit of Raikkonen in 2009, the return of Michael in 2010 and the saga with Hamilton and Mercedes, I believe in rumors.

zako85
29th September 2012, 08:08
It's just that I can't see anyone past Massa for the Ferrari seat in 2013. Massa has been underperforming, that's obvious, but how can you be sure that his replacement would do any better? I can't see any reason why Kovy, Sutil, Kobayashi, Alguersuari or Schumacher would do any better, specially when having Alonso as a teammate. None of them have been driving really great during this season, if they have raced at all.

You're making an argument along the lines of "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". However, Massa's case does not stand scrutiny because Massa's overall performance this year is less comparable to "a bird in the hand", but more similar to a badly wounded sick half bird on life support. You're arguing that Ferrari should keep Massa because it is impossible to confirm, ex ante, if Massa's replacements will be any better than him... to which I can always make a reverse argument. Massa set the bar so low this year that it's impossible to confirm whether he could perform any better than a likely replacement in the same car.

I honestly think it would have been better for Massa (unless "the best" to him is measured by the salary he gets paid) is to move to any other team that would still take him. At Ferrari, he has been completely browbeaten in submission to serve as Alonso's support. His motivation can not be high at that team. If I understand this correctly, Alonso is also the same guy who stood to benefit from the crashgate, willingly or unwillingly, orchestrated by his team Renault, which likely cost Massa 2008 WDC. Several years later Massa is paid at Ferrari to be Alonso's number 2 pilot. If Ferrari's seat is Massa's only chance to hang in Formula 1 for another year, then I guess it's logical for him to stay at Ferrari. Otherwise, he would have been better off with pretty much any mid field teams IMHO.