PDA

View Full Version : All a bit..

Alfa Fan
23rd September 2012, 20:54
Boring?

Wet weather, mixed-up grids, big variety of cars, would normally make for an exciting weekend. However, much like recent weekends at Knockhill and Snetterton, most of the "action" consisted of people crashing into each other rather than any proper racing.

It just feels like the last couple of years have been a real decline in the quality of racing, looking back at some of the classic weekends of the past. It isn't helped with the fact that the quality of field is at its lowest for a long, long time, there is what, maybe 8 or 9 decent drivers in the field and only two or three that would have been competitive in the ST days.

More than ever it just feels like a glorified club race, like British GT has been. Only instead of having some impressive Ferraris, Astons, Porsches, etc to enjoy, we've got some fairly dull looking 2ltr turbos which all sound the same.

The other thing that's really killing the series for me is that its heading towards a BoP series. Success ballast is fine, it was applied in a consistent and fair manner. All this tampering with boost pressures is just a bit contrived for me. Plus it makes it incredibly tiresome listening to Shedden, Neal and Plato complaining about it every weekend.

Plus the TV coverage this year has been garbage as well. Poor direction, Tim Harvey was never that strong, but alongside Ben was fine, but Toby Moody is just painful. The support races are dire atm too. I've gone from religiously watching the entire live broadcast and attending as many meeting as I could, to only watching the BTCC races and still undecided whether I will bother attending a second round this season. (Went to Oulton as its so local).

Crowd looked bad today too, dunno if that was just the weather.

BDunnell
23rd September 2012, 22:05
I thought it was fine today — nothing more, nothing less. In no way was the racing dirty, put it that way. A few collisions, yes, but nothing malicious, or even especially incompetent.

Comparing drivers from different eras is hard, I feel. Yes, there are a lot of pay drivers in the BTCC nowadays, but such was also the case — if not more so — in the Sierra Cosworth period, which many would consider (wrongly, in my view) to have been a classic time for British touring cars. Thereafter, for a few years we were spoiled by all the international superstars and ex-F1 drivers, not all of whom, we shouldn't forget, were that good. It's wrong to deride all of those who have drives in the BTCC today on the grounds of paying for them. I'd single out Nick Foster as someone who may not be a potential champion, but is a more than worthwhile addition to the series. Who is to say that many of the 2012 BTCC field wouldn't have been competitive in the Super Touring era? After all, former F1 drivers like Gianni Morbidelli and Jean-Christophe Boullion didn't exactly set the world on fire. The return of a Turkington or Giovanardi would be a boost, certainly, but not the whole answer.

I agree about the turbo boost issue, which has become quite tiresome. Beyond that, I am somewhat underwhelmed by the BTCC these days for other reasons I find it hard to put my finger on, but which have little to do with any comparisons with drivers or eras past. I suppose my frustration stems from the fact that I'd like to see teams and drivers making the breakthrough to challenge the Team Dynamics/Triple Eight/Neal/Shedden/Plato domination, yet, for various reasons, it doesn't happen on a regular enough basis. WSR has the knowhow and, in Collard, a driver to do it, but the BMW this season is just too inconsistent, despite their best efforts. Wrathall and Austin have threatened the front-runners on occasion, but very sporadically. Dave Newsham is clearly very quick, and Lea Wood might be a good prospect for the future, but both are in need of newer equipment. Will an all-NGTC field improve things? Possibly, for Motorbase and WSR in particular, but it's still a pricey formula.

The dreadful ITV commentary this year certainly hasn't helped my enjoyment of the championship, and again I'm with you about the support races generally being dull. I'm not totally downcast about the BTCC — in fact, I'd still rather watch it over any other racing except Le Mans and the Goodwood Revival, such is my dissatisfaction with most modern motorsport. But there is room for improvement, certainly. Whether anything can be done to bring this about, or how much of it is to do with financial factors, I'm not sure.

Iain
24th September 2012, 13:07
Beyond that, I am somewhat underwhelmed by the BTCC these days

It's the same with me, I just don't know what it is exactly. Normally I Sky+ the whole show and watch it on delay to skip the adverts, but I found myself not recording it and watching the BTCC races only.

I agree with all you've said Alfa Fan. I love Oulton Park, but had no desire to travel down there in June or Croft which is about the same distance. The package isn't very good value for money at the moment in terms of grid sizes and quality. I did go to Knockhill, but wasn't very impressed by a field of turbos. They sound awful, not what a racing car sounds like to me. It was made worse by the demonstration laps of the Cavalier, Mondeo, Accord and Primera. All that induction noise sounds fantastic. I don't like the look of the NGTCs either. S2000 has it right. Flared arches, a wing and a deep front splitter are enough of a physical modification for me, otherwise you lose the similarity to the roadcar and they just look odd.

Perhaps the driver quality is something to do with it. There aren't any proper works teams around now (Honda will always be a closed shop to anyone but Neal and Shedden and MG are heavily privately funded), so the drivers who deserve the reward of a works seat will never get one. Far too many drivers out of a job right now, who've proved themselves in the support categories, or indeed are still in those series, unable to get out. I'd say there's about eight really good drivers in that field and the rest are making up the numbers.

nik
27th September 2012, 23:00
I also share the opinions that have been mentioned.

This season does seem to lack quality. Each time the BTCC has clashed with the F1, i've watched the F1. Never thought that day would come!

Same with the support package. The Ginetta Juniors are a joke, Porsche have always been boring, and the new Clio (since 07) has never really looked good as a racing car. The older model suited racing much more. The GT Super-cup is ok, but not that exciting. How I long for the days of the Vectra Challenge, Lotus Elise series and the Fiestas.

Jimmy Magnusson
30th September 2012, 00:01
Can't say anything but that I agree with the sentiment, Alfa Fan. I've been a life long fan of the BTCC but it's a long time since it's been this poor. Last year I thought WTCC was more fun than BTCC. This year even DTM has been better, and that's such an insane statement coming from me that the old me from the past would have either slapped me across the head or be extremely saddened.

And I really enjoyed the post-ST era as well. The BTC years were rough but had heart, and the S2000 years had a lot of passion and excitement as well. I think the last great year for me was 2009. After that the championship lost Turkington and Gio, and any proper works teams. I remember giggling with excitement seeing Gio and Plato together in the pits at Thruxton in 2010, after 888 made last minute entry for him. The boys were, as you say, back in town. And since then, nothing. Just Neal v Plato crash&bash, and that is so, so old and tired by now.

Coulthard Fan
2nd October 2012, 13:51
Hate to say it but the BTCC is just not the same as before...

wedge
2nd October 2012, 14:41
Get rid of Plato and Neal - the former more so.

They should quit their lover's tiff and stop trying to make headlines.

They sound awful, not what a racing car sounds like to me. It was made worse by the demonstration laps of the Cavalier, Mondeo, Accord and Primera. All that induction noise sounds fantastic. I don't like the look of the NGTCs either. S2000 has it right. Flared arches, a wing and a deep front splitter are enough of a physical modification for me, otherwise you lose the similarity to the roadcar and they just look odd.

Completely agree.

Sarah
5th October 2012, 13:52
I went to one race last year but not been to any this year. I still watch the BTCC races on TV but agree i'm not really enjoying it and I don't even watch the clios anymore which was the only support race I enjoyed. I would have loved to see Thommo or Turks return I really thought that might happen. There are too many drivers now I don't care about.

AndyRAC
6th October 2012, 15:31
For the standard of driving, etc support races, etc How it gets such extensive TV coverage is unreal. Yes, I know they pay for it, but I'd far rather see an International Motorsport series get coverage than a poor National race series on ITV4.

JasonPotato
6th October 2012, 16:15
I personally haven't watched many races this year, all the excitement has been replaced with moaning and unfair contact. Not to mention the commentary. I really couldn't careless who wins the title this year and this is the first time in a long time this has been the case for me. It badly needs some more quality drivers in there like Gio and Thommo who have been previously mentioned otherwise it'll continue to go down hill.

I actually prefer to watch the F1 which i never thought i would say.

Alfa Fan
7th October 2012, 13:25
Today its a joke again too, the Honda's have clearly been handicapped to the point where they can't even compete. It's almost as if its a fix.

Added to that the crazy driving by some of the fat wallets, the whole things just so amateurish.

JasonPotato
8th October 2012, 10:02
Well i watched the first 2 races yesterday and would have to agree, not a huge fan of the Honda's but anyone can see they have a ridiculous speed disadvantage. Great drive by jackson but can only help thinking that his car is superior to anyone elses. It looked the perfect combination of speed and handling, all the other cars have 1 or the other. Didn't even bother waiting for the third race as i knew it would be more of the same.

It's all getting rather boring with the cars nowhere near being 'equal'. Might as well make the grid in to 2 different fields like they did back in 2002 with production and touring classes.

philipbain
8th October 2012, 14:38
[quote="Alfa Fan"]Today its a joke again too, the Honda's have clearly been handicapped to the point where they can't even compete. It's almost as if its a fix.[quote]

I agree completely, i'm not adverse to success ballast as it gets added and taken off with the eb and flow of the season, but the turbo restictions imposed on Honda because Team Dynamics engineered a great car is just pure nonesense. Jason Potato was saying after yesterday's final race that the MG6 has become the best handling chassis in the championship over the summer, if thats the case why are they still running more boost than the Hondas? I can't stand "equalisation" as it simply punishes those who do a good job and compensates those who do an equally rubbish job! As everyone is aware, the championship will be dieing on its arse soon if it isnt already because of this sort of nonesense, the quality of racing has gone from the championship and with it interest will go too. Whatever has been done I understand has been done with good intentions but its clear to see that things arent working, also I have heard numerous doubts about whether NGTC is actually any cheaper than S2000, though NGTC does give TOCA a nice little earner selling all those homologated parts to the teams...

Bezza
8th October 2012, 16:39
I think I have a rant about the BTCC once a year now. I am now no more than a passive spectator of the BTCC. I love, absolutely LOVE, my F1. The weekend fits around it! My fiancée hates me for that! However, I used to shape it round BTCC too. Now I don’t care. I haven’t even seen a moment of the Rockingham action, and missed Silverstone too (although it sounded vaguely exciting so I’ve Sky+ the repeat on Tuesday).

The BTCC needs to look at the DTM and V8 Supercars for how to run a domestic touring car series. What we had in 1991-2000 (yes I know people keep going back to this) was exceptional. I don’t see any reason why work can’t be done to bring the series back towards that level. It will be gradual, of course. But over the last few years the whole thing has been going in completely the opposite direction. NGTC cars look big, slow and ugly. The quality of drivers is beyond poor.

The three-race weekend is my biggest gripe and always has been. The races are over too quick and it is basically glorified banger racing. They really would be better suited going back to the Sprint/Feature setup they had in the late 90’s.

The support races are also really boring. I went to Oulton this year and left two races before the end. It was just dull. However, the crowds are great, so the bosses at TOCA will be happy and content.

It really needs a major shake up. It is waste of a potentially great series.

I am evil Homer
8th October 2012, 16:46
It's becoming pretty dull. Yesterday was a joke with the Honda's having to drive the wheels off just to keep pace with the others. Jackson drove well to make up places, as did Plato but their cars were so clearly superior and not in a "wow they've made a good car there" manner I turned the coverage off before race 3. It was obvious Plato was going to win it.

The sooner everyone's in NGTCs the better because equalisation is failing massively. Success ballast is one thing and I think generally it works fairly well but the turbo restrictions are a joke, as this weekend showed.

F1boat
8th October 2012, 17:55
I haven't watched many BTCC races this season, but from what I saw they are still more fun than the WTCC and the horrid DTM series in which overtaking is impossible.

Alfa Fan
8th October 2012, 19:40
The sooner everyone's in NGTCs the better because equalisation is failing massively. Success ballast is one thing and I think generally it works fairly well but the turbo restrictions are a joke, as this weekend showed.

The problem is everyone IS in NGTCs now, it is now how it is going to be. It's the balancing between different NGTC motors, a problem that won't be going away.

AndySpeed
15th October 2012, 21:20
I have been to one race this year and remember finding that my Sunday newspaper was a lot more enjoyable than some of the racing.

I have to admit the World Touring Car Championship looks to be on the up again and that's where the real talent and ability is. If only those races were slightly longer.