PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the Race - Singapore

steveaki13
23rd September 2012, 15:49
Well its that time again

BleAivano
23rd September 2012, 15:56
Massa for not crashing when he got bumped into by whoever it was.

steveaki13
23rd September 2012, 16:05
My DOTR is still despite retiring: Lewis Hamilton. He got pole brilliantly and looked untouchable until cruely robbed of what would have been a great victory.

Other mentions:

Sebastian Vettel - He drove a great race too, was keeping Lewis honest and looked calm once Lewis retired.

Jenson Button - Got nicely ahead of Pastor at the start and was catching the leaders early on. A good second place.

Fernando Alonso - Car was not the fast here, but again came up the field to score another vital podium.

Paul di Resta - What a drive by the young Scot. He has had a tough year but today looked unruffled and composed. A fine job.

Rosberg & Kimi - These two did well to start 10th & 12th to finish 5th & 6th.

Ricciardo - He drove a solid race in a not great Toro Rosso and battled hard against Webber to get a couple of points

Glock - I know he was helped by the SC, but a great effort to keep it on the island and finish ahead of midfield cars and finish 12th.

F1boat
23rd September 2012, 16:15
Seb. After the disaster in Italy and the disappointment yesterday he won the race under immense pressure and two yellow periods. I am so happy for him!

rjbetty
23rd September 2012, 16:18
Ham sandwich!

di Resta 2nd.

Also Timo Glock. He must be so demotivated these days, so his best result for 3 years will lift him a bit.

N. Jones
23rd September 2012, 16:22
di Resta - 4th brings him closer to McLaren.

AndyL
23rd September 2012, 16:32
Also Timo Glock. He must be so demotivated these days, so his best result for 3 years will lift him a bit.

I'm sure the $10m or whatever it is he just made for the team will lift everyone at Marussia!

Tazio
23rd September 2012, 17:52
There were too many for me to choose from including Igornado, and the Boss. Though di Resta had an excellent result, and I include him as having had as good of a race as anyone, Fred was pulled slowly away from him after the second restart on older tires. I don't know if P di R had other issues, but a drive that separates him from the rest of the field would include pressuring a possibly compromised driver .4 seconds ahead for a podium. Perhaps he was told to just consolidate his position. JMHO

steveaki13
23rd September 2012, 18:25
I forgot all about Maldonado. I would like to enter him into the fray as well.

A fine drive in which somehow he kept that Williams in the top 4 and was showing no signs of fading either.

He deservedly has gotten alot of critism, but today fair play to him. Well done Pastor

pino
23rd September 2012, 18:32
Di Resta deserves this !

donKey jote
23rd September 2012, 19:15
di Resta I guess.

MAX_THRUST
23rd September 2012, 19:20
Have to say some drivers who have performed poorly this season were great today. Alot of sterling drivers of the day. To hard to pick one. As for Donkey......MS for not warming his breaks properly under safety car, possibly Nico Hulk for taking out to front wings. I'm not sure he deserves being a donkey for battling hard though.

kfzmeister
23rd September 2012, 21:45
Massa for not crashing when he got bumped into by whoever it was.

Not sure if that deserves driver of the race, but what a save!!

kfzmeister
23rd September 2012, 22:03
Eddie Jordan! Lol

N4D13
23rd September 2012, 22:04
I feel tempted to see Massa, if only because it was nice to see him pull off a nice recovery drive rather than screwing his race on his own. He managed to get to 8th place after having been basically nowhere after the first lap, and did quite a few nice passes on the track.

But, of course, Hamilton and Vettel take the cake for me, and di Resta gets an honourable mention as well.

steveaki13
23rd September 2012, 22:31
Yes good spot. Yet another good drive by Massa to recover what looked a lost cause, albeit with the SC help.

I was massively impressed by Paul di Resta today, it was a mature and fast drive amoungst some ongoing chaos. Would loved to have seen him on the podium.

Great work

tfp
23rd September 2012, 23:23
Di Resta for me! Also Glock, what a drive!

Rollo
24th September 2012, 00:20
Lewis Hamilton. He got pole brilliantly and looked untouchable until cruely robbed of what would have been a great victory.

By who? Lewis?

As far as I'm aware, no other driver caused him to nuff-nuff his way into the wall in qualifying. And because* they hadn't changed the gearbox, the fault which developed was bound to show its face eventually. Given his statement before the race, Lewis comes off as rather a spoiled little git.

"I am happy for Pastor, he has taken a lot of heat through the year and he is obviously very talented. I don't want to get in his way and hopefully he doesn't want to get in mine. As long as we get a good start we should be OK. I am sure he is aware that he has some championship contenders around him so it is not all or nothing and [he should be] getting some points for his team."
- Lewis Hamilton, as quoted in Autosport.
Singapore GP: Hamilton hopes for no incidents with Maldonado at the start - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102766)

No Lewis, Pastor should have given his all at the start. The only reason you said that is because you're selfish.
For my money Pastor Maldonado was a far more nobler driver and only dropped out of the race through a hydraulics fault. Whereas, Lewis actively cause his.

*breaking the rules of proper grammar :D

rjbetty
24th September 2012, 00:49
By who? Lewis?
For my money Pastor Maldonado was a far more nobler driver and only dropped out of the race through a hydraulics fault. Whereas, Lewis actively cause his.

Oh this is news to me... How did he manage that?

And yeah I'm not sure he should be telling drivers to back off. I don't know what he would be like if the roles were reversed.
I was also interested to see Alonso duelling with Maldonado. I criticised Hamilton in Valencia for allowing the incident to happen even though I believe it was Maldonado's fault. I feel Alonso would have conceded regardless of whether it's his right of way or not, because he is able to see the bigger picture.

So the race today provided the chance to see for ourselves, on another street circuit too, how Alonso would manage with this test. He passed it very well.

I think Maldonado drove very well today. Like Petrov I feel he has received an undue amount of criticism because he did get his drive based primarily on money. I always felt he showed very well last year by being quicker than Rubens. And secretly I did feel he would have the edge on Senna before the season, but didn't want to believe it. The gap has turned out to be much bigger than I imagined, and now I actually think that Maldonado is maybe on a similar level to where even Montoya was at this stage in his career, possibly.

The good thing is that Pastor seems willing to learn. But I feel he might need to realise that he may not always be in a competitive car. There is no guarantee - look at Rosberg. So he could do with making more hay now, as this year could prove to be an anomaly, and next year and many more to follow may see normal service resumed (big gaps between teams - same thing every bl**dy weekend a la '98).

wedge
24th September 2012, 01:13
Alonso - if he becomes WDC its because of the canny ability (and not only is it this a new phenomenon) of creating his own luck.

Rollo
24th September 2012, 01:25
Oh this is news to me... How did he manage that?

McLaren team prinicpal Martin Whitmarsh said there had been no indication before the race that there was anything wrong with McLaren's gearbox and said he did not think an incident in qualifying in which Hamilton brushed the wall would have caused enough damage to contribute to it.
"It was a very light tap," Whitmarsh said. "This morning we saw the wheel had some paint rubbed off and some paint from the wall, but a very small section, the rim wasn't damaged, the tyre wasn't damaged.
"In fact I was nagging the engineers to check track and camber and they did but it was such a light touch they don't think it was [too damaging]."
- Andrew Benson, BBC, 23-09-12
BBC Sport - Singapore GP: McLaren's Lewis Hamilton will not give up on title (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19695067)

Basically an F1 gearbox/diff is a very highly stressed bit of kit. Bang the rear wheel into a wall even lightly, and there's going to be a stress put through it in ways that the designers never intended. Brief contact like that may have put a slither of metal into the box, which given the right environment under stress would be enough to cause a failure.

wedge
24th September 2012, 01:31
Given his statement before the race, Lewis comes off as rather a spoiled little git.

What you rather say that you want an opponent to beat you?

And just how do you know? It's pure speculation so far. Speaking to the BBC Whitmarsh made a reference to the diff.

2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay - Forum - F1technical.net (http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=377084#p377084)

kfzmeister
24th September 2012, 02:24
I'm actually gonna nominate Massa. He got a puncture and then was dead last. Worked his way through the field with some dicey passes (Senna) and ended up a solid 8th.

Hawkmoon
24th September 2012, 04:11
The stewards for not handing out penalties everytime a driver attempted a pass, though they do lose some brownie points for penalising Webber after the race.

Big Ben
24th September 2012, 07:28
di Resta

N4D13
24th September 2012, 10:56
Alonso - if he becomes WDC its because of the canny ability (and not only is it this a new phenomenon) of creating his own luck.
While no one can deny that Alonso has been driving really great this season, I feel more inclined to say that should he go on to win the title this year, it will be thanks to Ferrari's outstanding reliability record. Ever since Alonso joined Ferrari (2010), how many Ferraris have retired from a race due to reliability issues? I don't know about Massa, but I think Alonso has only had to retire from the 2010 Malaysian GP. From there on, every time he's retired, it's been due to accidents, I think.

AndyL
24th September 2012, 10:56
I was massively impressed by Paul di Resta today, it was a mature and fast drive amoungst some ongoing chaos. Would loved to have seen him on the podium.

Without the safety cars he would've had a very good chance I think.

DexDexter
24th September 2012, 15:04
Paul Di Resta was the driver of the race for me, drove a great race. Force India have a great driver pairing.

driveace
24th September 2012, 17:50
Hamilton drove well for pole and got away well in the race,and although Button begs to differ ,i feel he had control of the race over Vettel. Vettel,s car was quicker once he was down on fuel,but still feel that it was there for Hamilton to win.I thought Hamilton said early on "I have a feeling",where i was sure he was referring to an odd feeling that something was wrong with the car,I also felt it aws a clutch failure rather than a diff failure BUT I stand to be corrected !
Di Resta drove a good race,and for me was DOTD

Coulthard Fan
24th September 2012, 20:34
Paul Di Resta im so glad he is british good young talent give him a drive in say a mclaren he could be a world champ

Tazio
24th September 2012, 21:26
Paul Di Resta im so glad he is british
Why don't you tell us how you really feel? :p : ;)

The Black Knight
25th September 2012, 08:31
McLaren team prinicpal Martin Whitmarsh said there had been no indication before the race that there was anything wrong with McLaren's gearbox and said he did not think an incident in qualifying in which Hamilton brushed the wall would have caused enough damage to contribute to it.
"It was a very light tap," Whitmarsh said. "This morning we saw the wheel had some paint rubbed off and some paint from the wall, but a very small section, the rim wasn't damaged, the tyre wasn't damaged.
"In fact I was nagging the engineers to check track and camber and they did but it was such a light touch they don't think it was [too damaging]."
BBC Sport - Singapore GP: McLaren's Lewis Hamilton will not give up on title (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19695067)

Basically an F1 gearbox/diff is a very highly stressed bit of kit. Bang the rear wheel into a wall even lightly, and there's going to be a stress put through it in ways that the designers never intended. Brief contact like that may have put a slither of metal into the box, which given the right environment under stress would be enough to cause a failure.

McLaren have been very clear in stating that Lewis touch with the wall Saturday was totally unrelated to his gearbox failure and I'm sure they have a lot more data on which to base this conclusion than you do. Here is a link to where Whitmarsh makes clarification:

"They [gearbox warnings] have happened a number of laps before and we have started seeing some issues a few laps before [in other races]. Sometimes it can last all race and sometimes it doesn't, so we had a pretty clear warning.
"We had a full inspection after yesterday, and it wasn't related to that. I can't see any sign that it is related to that. It is extremely unlikely based on what I think the failure is in my head."
When asked if the gearbox problem could have been related to a brush that Hamilton had with a wall in qualifying (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102743), as other drivers like Bruno Senna had had to change a gearbox because of that, Whitmarsh said: "I think if you looked at [Bruno] Senna and a few others, they bounced off quite heavy.
"I have to say this morning I was talking to the guys, the wheel had two to three centimetres of scuff mark on it but it wasn't damaged.
"The rims are quite thin and brittle, and in fact the engineers performed NDT (non-destructive testing) all over the suspension.
"They were absolutely content that it was a very light brush and was not one that was going to create any damage. I don't think today had anything to do with yesterday."

Singapore GP: McLaren denies knowing Hamilton's gearbox was damaged - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102824)

Paddy Lowe also made it clear on twitter that it was unrelated. By your logic Bruno Senna should have had about ten gearbox failures.

AndyL
25th September 2012, 11:35
I'm still wondering what Lewis's engineer meant when he said "we did everything we could yesterday." A statement which, incidentally, has been omitted from the race radio transcript on the McLaren web site.
If McLaren say there was no indication of a possible gearbox problem after qualifying, that might mean there was no indication of a gearbox problem after qualifying, or it might mean it suits them to deny that Lewis was scuppered by another team mistake.

kfzmeister
25th September 2012, 13:31
... it might mean it suits them to deny that Lewis was scuppered by another team mistake.

Or even worse, a strategic error by not changing the box. It would have only cost them 5 grid spots and surely would have kept him in the championship battle.

AndyL
25th September 2012, 14:53
Or even worse, a strategic error by not changing the box. It would have only cost them 5 grid spots and surely would have kept him in the championship battle.

Yes that's what I meant by a team mistake.

truefan72
25th September 2012, 21:05
Paddy Lowe also made it clear on twitter that it was unrelated. By your logic Bruno Senna should have had about ten gearbox failures.

I don't think the touch on the wall had any effect, but I do think they knew there might be an issue with the gearbox, probably as early as during qualy and instead of changing it, taking a 5 place grid drop and having a chance to finish the race with high points or even a victory, they chose to gamble instead and lost. That's what is frustrating with mclaren. too many gambles. ( i am still smarting about China 2007 :( )

MAX_THRUST
26th September 2012, 00:17
Oh good its not just me that still thinks about 2007. The championship was in the bag essentially...

rjbetty
26th September 2012, 00:20
Oh good its not just me that still thinks about 2007. The championship was in the bag essentially...

Yes :(

But at least Alonso didn't win it. AwMGosh can you imagine what that would have been like? *shudders*

Even more insufferable than if he'd won it in 2010. :(

Knock-on
26th September 2012, 18:04
You lot come up with a load of theories based on no facts :laugh:

Lewis barely kissed the wall and half the field will clink it at some time over the weekend. He drove a great qualifying and was looking good for a victory that would have closed the gap. Pity.

Paul gets my vote for a great weekend. Maturing nicely for a shot in a top team and mention for Pastor as well.

kfzmeister
26th September 2012, 18:27
What if there was some sort of hint though via McLaren about concern of the transmission after qualifying. Imagine Red Bull hears about it and smells blood. Vettels' engineer tells him to pressure Hamilton in the race to force some sort of problem (Vettel WAS on his arse!) and voila,........
Would make for an interesting storyline.

wedge
2nd October 2012, 14:01

Bang goes the theory.

Jenson will get a 5 grid penalty in Japan for changing his gearbox.